Doctor Who Xmas 2015

Doctor Who: Alex Kingston Returning as River Song for Christmas Special

Doctor Who has announced the first piece of guest casting for its upcoming Christmas special — and it’s a beaut.

Alex Kingston will reprise her role as Professor River Song in the 2015 Xmas episode, BBC America confirmed early Wednesday via the following teaser: “It’s Christmas Day in the future and the TARDIS is parked on a snowy village street, covered in icicles, awaiting its next adventure. Time traveller River Song meets her husband’s new incarnation, in the form of Peter Capaldi, for the first time this Christmas.”

This marks Kingston’s 16th (credited) appearance as River Song.

Production on the special, which will premiere on Friday, Dec. 25, begins this week, with Douglas Mackinnon directing and franchise overlord Steven Moffat penning the script.

“To be honest, I did not know whether River would ever return to the show, but here she is, back with the Doctor for the Christmas special,” Kingston said in a statement. “Steven Moffat is on glittering form, giving us an episode filled with humor and surprise guest castings. I met Peter for the first time at Monday’s read-through, we had a laugh, and I am now excited and ready to start filming with him and the Doctor Who team. Christmas in September?, why not!”

Added Moffat: “Another Christmas, another special for Doctor Who – and what could be more special than the return of Alex Kingston as Professor River Song. The last time the Doctor saw her she was a ghost. The first time he met her, she died. So how can he be seeing her again? As ever, with the most complicated relationship in the universe, it’s a matter of time.”

1. Kat says:

Moffat found the one thing that can make me watch again while he’s still show runner. I don’t even necessarily like what they did with her story last time she was around, but I ador Alrx Kongston beyond words.

2. Tony warke says:

I used to live Dr Who and since David Tennant left the only good actor as been Alex Kingston. The stories since Moffat took over have been mostly rubbish except the one’s with River Song. Why nit do a spin off with River Song with a decent writer.

• KLB says:

I adored David Tennant, but I’m curious as to whether you really think Peter Capaldi is a bad actor? I get not liking Twelve the character or how he is written, but to dismiss Capaldi as not a good actor seems odd. And, I get we all have our opinions, but I’m curious as to what makes him a bad actor.

And to keep this on topic, while I loved River’s introduction, I wasn’t crazy about how she was used during the Eleven years. However, I’m hopefully optimistic about this story.

• chitown_mimi says:

KLB, I agree with you. Knowing Capaldi from other projects, specifically Torchwood, I always found him delightful. This incarnation of the Dr. is more in line with his crotchety, grumbly grandfather persona of season 1-2. It’s different. But hopefully this encounter with River Song will soften him up. OMG, I am so excited for this. I have not always been on board with River’s character during the eleven years, also, but I really miss this character.

• Drew says:

I liked Tennant, but I actually like the Moffat stories better than the Davies stories. Kinda cool that the show has different voices that can appeal to everyone at some point.

3. Scythe says:

Thanks for the spoilers :(( I didn’t even need to read the article, the title itself and photo did the job :/

• Simon Jester says:

It’s not actually a spoiler if there’s a press release about it! I’m sure she’ll be featured in the teaser and all of the promo spots, too.

• J.B. says:

This was a press release from both BBC and BBC America to just about every major entertainment news media including Twitter.
      A press release, news release, media release, press statement or video release is a written or recorded communication directed at members of the news media for the purpose of announcing something ostensibly newsworthy. Typically, they are mailed, faxed, or e-mailed to assignment editors and journalists at newspapers, magazines, radio stations, online media, television stations or television networks.

4. Drew says:

Interesting news. I thought we’d seen the last of River. Can’t wait to see what they do with her.
    I am watching last season on Netflix now. About 7 episodes in, I’m still not sure what I think of the new Doctor. He has moments when he reminds me of the last two, but there is also a part of him that I find very unlikable. When Clara chews him out, I cheer her on.

• Lisa G says:

Well, they had to find *someway* to make Clara likable….

• Ben says:

That’s actually part of why I love this doctor. Distant and scary – there has to be a reason the entire universe somewhat fears the Doctor, right? Plus, after we have just established that the last two are in part a reaction to the years of the War Doctor, it feels so appropriate.

Now, I wouldn’t want 13 to be as distant, but in the mean time I hope Capaldi gets a nice 4 seasons because I feel like this incarnation is important.

5. Shaun says:

Argh,how is this even possible?I thought her last appearance was when she was moving out of his timeline and going to the beginning.

6. KayCeeCee says:

River Song and the Weeping Angels are two of Moffat’s greatest Dr. Who creations. As long he is the show runner, I expect them to show up.

7. Sheila says:

Ugh, I can’t stand that character. Overused.

8. ComeOn says:

No one mention “Hello Sweetie”? This just made my day! I’m so happy that Moffat said it’s Professor Song, at least we know it’s after the Wedding of River Song. Ooh Matt Smith is going to be so jealous!