Penny Dreadful Season 3

Penny Dreadful Season 3: Patti LuPone Returns (But There's a Huge Twist)

Penny Dreadful was so fond of Patti LuPone — who had a memorable Season 2 arc as the ill-fated Cut-Wife — that the acclaimed period thriller is bringing the actress back for Season 3, but in a completely different series-regular role.

LuPone is joining the cast as Dr. Seward (hmm...) , an American therapist who treats Eva Green’s Vanessa with an unconventional new approach.

Penny Dreadful‘s nine-episode third season will also introduce Robert Louis Stevenson’s Dr. Henry Jekyll, played by Shazad Latif (The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, Spooks).

Other Season 3 newbies include: Christian Camargo (Dexter) as Dr. Alexander Sweet, a zoologist who strikes up an unlikely friendship with Vanessa; Sam Barnett (Jupiter Ascending) as Dr. Seward’s mysterious young secretary; Wes Studi (Hell On Wheels) in the series-regular role of Kaetenay, an intense, enigmatic Native American with a deep connection to Ethan (Josh Hartnett) who also becomes an ally to Sir Malcolm (Timothy Dalton); and Jessica Barden (Far from the Madding Crowd) as Justine, a young acolyte to Lily (Billie Piper) and Dorian Gray (Reeve Carney).

Penny Dreadful returns in 2016.

1. Dr. John “Jack” Seward, M.D. is a fictional character appearing in Bram Stoker’s 1897 novel Dracula.

Seward is the administrator of an insane asylum not far from Count Dracula’s first English home, Carfax. Throughout the novel, Seward conducts ambitious interviews with one of his patients, R. M. Renfield, in order to understand better the nature of life-consuming psychosis. As a psychiatrist, Seward enjoys using the most up-to-date equipment, including using a recording phonograph to record his interviews with his patients and his own notes. Several chapters of the novel consist of transcriptions of Seward’s phonograph recordings.

From Wikipedia.

I wonder…

2. Amy says:

Wes Studi! I’ve loved him since Last of the Mohicans.

3. Ian says:

I just hope they make it work, because while I LOOOOVED LuPone as the Cut Wife and the chemistry her and Green have as actresses, I’d be loathe for them to just bring her back as a whole other character because they want to milk that and not address at all why Dr. Seward looks like Joan. The show starting showing some flaws in the 2nd season that I couldnt overlook, and I dont want this to be another one.

• Benington says:

I totally disagree. I thought season 2 was every bit as stellar as season 1. The show has absolutely the most beautiful and eloquently written dialogue of any show I have ever watched, superb acting and is so exquisitely filmed. The show is a masterpiece. It is the thinking man’s supernatural show. The only reason the ratings are not through the roof is because the genre itself looked down upon ( foolishly) and the verbiage is so beyond the average person. I am a well read and well spoken person and I admit to often needing to look up the exact meaning of some words spoken by the characters, especially Mr. Clare. Brilliant!!!

• Ishok says:

I agree. “The Nightcomers” episode featuring the cut-wife is the best written and acted episode of any show that I’ve ever seen on tv.

4. Nick says:

Lupone will definitely get an Emmy nom for guest actress in a drama, if not the win for the Cut Wife.

• Simon Jester says:

Well, perhaps… but I lost all faith in the Emmys when they failed to nominate Lois Smith as guest actress for THE AMERICANS (or, for that matter, Eva Green for PENNY DREADFUL).

5. Simon Jester says:

Is it 2016 yet? (drums fingers impatiently)

6. cookie says:

Yeah I loved her as the cut-wife. She was so dark but fascinating.

7. NiceGuyVan says:

I always hate the “therapist” arcs…

8. Karen says:

Rory Kinnear’s John Clare is going to be back, right?
    Please tell me there’s official news about his presence.