Kanye West VMA Speech

Kanye West Announces Presidential Run During Insane MTV VMA Speech

In keeping with the night’s theme of beef-squashing, Taylor Swift on Sunday presented former nemesis Kanye West with the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award at the 2015 MTV Video Music Awards.

And in keeping with West’s personal theme of self-inflation, the whole encounter was preceded by a video about “beauty” and “perfection” and a whole bunch of other things he discusses with himself in the mirror every morning.

“I first met Kanye West six years at this show; since then, we’ve had a lot of time to talk about a lot of different things,” Swift said when she took the stage. She went on refer to him as a “creative force” in fashion, music and “well, life.” She even bookended it by doing her best “I’mma let you finish” impression.

After taking more than a full minute to bask in his own awesomeness, Mr. West finally spoke:

Bro! BRO! Listen to the kids! … First of all, thank you, Taylor, for being so gracious and giving me this award this evening. I often think back to the first day I met you, also. You know, I think about that when I’m in the grocery store with my daughter and I have a really great conversation about pressed juice, and at the end, they say, ‘Oh, you’re not that bad, after all.’ And when I go to a baseball game and 60,000 people boo me, it crosses my mind a little bit.

I think, if I had to do it all again, what would I have done? Would I have worn a leather shirt? Would I have drank a half a bottle of Hennessy and given the rest of it to the audience? … If I had a daughter at that time, would I have went on stage and grabbed the mic from someone else’s? You know, this arena tomorrow is going to be a completely different set-up. … This stage will be gone. After that night, the stage is gone, but the effect that it had on people will remain.

The problem was the contradiction. The contradiction is that I do fight for artists, but in that fight, I somehow was disrespectful to artists. I didn’t know how to say the right thing, the perfect thing. I sat at the Grammys and saw Justin Timberlake and Cee Lo lose. … I ain’t trying to put you on blast, Justin, but I saw that man in tears, though. I thought, “He deserved to win Album of the Year.” And in the small box that we are, as the entertainers of the evening, how do you explain that?

Sometimes, I feel like I died for the artist’s opinion, for the artist to have an opinion after they were successful. I’m not no politician, bro! … And do you know how many times MTV ran that footage, because it got them more ratings?

LISTEN TO THE KIDS, BRO!

I still don’t understand award shows. I don’t understand how they get five people who work their entire lives … to come, stand on a carpet and, for the first time in their lives, be judged on a chopping block and have the opportunity to be considered a loser. I don’t understand it, bruh! … I been conflicted, bro! I just wanted people to like me more.

BUT F–K THAT, BRO! 2015! I will die for the art, for what I believe it. And the art ain’t always going to be polite. Y’all might be thinking right now, ‘I wonder, did he smoke something before he came out here?’ The answer is, ‘Yes, I rolled a little something to knock the edge off.’

I don’t know what’s going to happen tonight. I don’t know what’s going to happen tomorrow, bro. But all I can say to my fellow artists: ‘Just worry how you feel at the time, man. Just worry how you feel.’ … I’m confident. I believe in myself. We the millennials, bro. This is a new mentality. We’re not going to control our kids with brands. We’re not going to teach low self-esteem and hate to our kids. We’re going to teach our kids that they can be something … to believe in themselves.

If my grandfather was here right now, he would not let me back down. I don’t know what I’m going to lose after this. It don’t matter, though, because it ain’t about me, bro! It’s about ideas!

And … in 2020, I have decided to run for president.

So, uh, yeah. That’s what he said. Watch it here if you don’t believe us:

Attempt to make sense of it as best you can, then drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Frank Mahoney (@frankmahoney07) says:

Kanye, being Kanye.

2. You transcribed that $#!T?!

Reader’s Digest version: Sorry, not sorry. I was drunk then, I’m stoned now. Yeezus 2020, mic drop.

3. Mel says:

I still can’t tell if he was being serious about running for president?

4. chipotle says:

i like kanye. marry me kanye. i luv kanye.

5. chipotle says:

i like kanye. marry me kanye. i luv kanye. yup

6. Isha says:

What he said is true and if said by someone other than him it would be refreshing. He’s saying what most of us non robotics are thinking. Kanye keep doing what you do. You are an inspiration and an eye opener of truth.

• Mary says:

What he said might be true, but it is hard to take him seriously standing on stage stoned and blabbering. If he said this coherently in an interview people might listen. He is married to the biggest brand out there now, who are famous for absolutely nothing, yet he mocks others. Personally I think he shows lack of character.

7. Always an apologist for being a dick. Carry on, nothing new to see here.

8. Lea says:

He’s insane. Fr.

9. Robby says:

Taylor was “Gracious”? Typical Kimyane. He’s never wrong. He better be glad Ms. Swift didn’t write a song about him.

10. Soon curran says:

PLEASE are you military or Law enforcement? Or simply famous for music or a Kardashian? I beg to differ but your impact on the world pales…:

11. Jules says:

Hope he does run for president! Yeezy in the White House….Lol

12. AngelWasHere says:

Kanye doesn’t understand award shows, but he’s on an award show? Ahaha!

13. Brian says:

I watched it live and it made no damn sense. His outfit didn’t look like someone who has fashion sense either. what was that?

14. Kim Moores says:

YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS KANYE

15. Tusk says:

Kanye is the black Donald Trump.

16. Chris says:

If there was a video, why not post it at the top? I didn’t need to read that whole thing. lol

17. Me says:

I feel the movie billy Madison conveys my feel on this the best:
    Principal: Mr. Madison, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
    Billy Madison: Okay, a simple “wrong” would’ve done just fine.

18. Ellie Jackson says:

Really! In the infamous words of Dave Chappell portraying Prince…”This bores me”.

19. Nicole says:

I think the craziest thing is the kardashians and kayne think that he is a “genius” but the rest of us know he is just bat s*%t crazy.

20. sladewilson says:

As a rapper, he’s okay. As a producer, he’s a genius. As a visionary artist, he’s a beast. As a human being, he has a LOT of work to do. But as an entertainer for sheer entertainment? The boy is one of the greatest shows in town. Love him, hate him, whatever – he knows how to grab those headlines. I will say this though – as bat-s**t cray-cray as he is, he’s still a better choice for President than Donald Trump…

21. Victoria says:

He has a cult following. People are sick sheep.

22. People were actually clapping for his brain farts. What a bunch of pathetic souls.

23. Lindsey says:

Relationship goals: Find someone who loves me as much as Kanye loves Kanye.

24. melody says:

Kanye is whack as hell he is a epic fail

25. Sarah T says:

He’s ridiculous. If he truly didn’t get the “point” of awards shows (which admittedly, there is none since stars basically give themselves a slap on the back), then why he was there? oh yeah, that’s right, to get an award! He has no problem with the awards if they’re given to those HE deems worthy but if it’s given to someone else then he’s up in arms. Also, he doesn’t even realize that at 38, he’s too old to be a millennial. He’s not one. That was nothing but the speech of a washed up artist that looked like he got dressed in the clothes he found on the bedroom floor a couple of minutes before they were supposed to leave because he was too high to do anything else.

26. Whatevah says:

*yawn*

27. Ames says:

I think it’s hilarious that his whole speech is about how horrible MTV is and that everything they do, they just do for ratings and he’s sick of that. And yet, he gives them a TON of ratings and a speech for people to talk about. If he really wanted to stick it to them, he should have gotten up, taken the award, said “Thank you” into the microphone and sat down.

28. liame says:

YEEZUS 2020! HELLZ YEAH!

29. N Ancy Fong says:

The man was stoned… and you could tell! Why would any “sane person” go on stage in that state?

30. Angus says:

has this idiot ever had a cohesive thought in his life.

31. Zoe says:

I honestly thought his speech had a few good points, but maybe those points would’ve been more coherent if he was sober.

32. heathenholiday says:

Doesn’t Kanye know he’s being laughed at, not with, as well as being closely studied and monitored by all the psychology departments in major universities for his particular non-special brand of crazy? He’s an entertainer, he’s here to entertain us, not lead us all into narcissistic personality disorder.

33. Lowkey Dre says:

Kanye is illuminati. If he get the president position than the devil rey take over sum stuff even more

34. thisguy says:

He wants to have you wearing man uggs and homeless looking chlothes, if he was president he would build a statue of himself in every state, change every important name to his, he invented fire, poetry, music, and he single handedly build America……yup