Hindsight Cancelled

Hindsight Cancelled at VH1, Despite Season 2 Renewal

How do we go back in time and undo this?

VH1 has cancelled Hindsight — even though it renewed the time-traveling drama for Season 2 in March, EW.com reports.

“Scripted series have been a successful part of VH1’s primetime line-up since 2010 and will continue to be in the future,” the network said in a statement. “We love Hindsight and couldn’t be more proud of the series. But in this overcrowded and rapidly changing climate, we need to carve out VH1’s distinct place in the scripted marketplace and deliver the biggest audiences possible for our series. As a result, we’re no longer moving forward with a second season of the show.”

The series ended on quite a cliffhanger, with Becca entering the mysterious time-traveling elevator after once again destroying her friendship with BFF Lolly.

1. Tricia says:

This is bull.

• The Watcher says:

Announcements like this make me wish Businesses, Networks, & Corporations had feedback buttons. Giant LIKE or DISLIKE options we could press to let the companies know, and the consumers as well the general approval rating of said company by it’s customers.

I had only heard of this show recently and planned to watch it before Season 2 started up… but now I’m not sure I’ll even bother. Plus it’s got to be the height of douchebaggery to RENEW a show early on, snowing the showrunners into thinking it’s SAFE to be write towards a cliffhanger-finale ONLY to then CANCEL the show out from under them at the last second and annoy anyone loyal enough to give their “network” (and I use the term loosely) consideration, much less the time of day, in the first place.

2. Monique says:

Nooooooo…for why did they do this??????

• rowan77 says:

They have a new mandate and this show may not be a strong seller to overseas markets. That makes a huge difference, because licensing defrays costs. You have to remember, shows don’t start making the studio money until syndication. Product placement only gets you so far and the network only covers 1/2 the costs. Licensing makes a show more profitable, which makes it run longer and with higher budgets (look at Supernatural – it sells like crazy overseas). It’s sad that they renewed it then took it away – it makes them look like they don’t know what they’re doing.

3. Becs says:

Nooooooooooo!!!!!

4. Sabrina says:

I’m very disappointed and surprised. I was looking forward to seeing season 2 of the show. I can understand that the ratings may not have been that great however it could have improved in season 2.

5. Leticia says:

I can’t believe they would cancel this after already renewing it. I always looked forward to new episodes and now I have no desire to watch anything else on vh1. I wonder if Hulu would be interested in picking it up.

6. Lucy says:

I assume there’s no chance that this gets picked up by a different network, right? It’s really unfortunate, this is one of the few shows that I consistently watched this year. It was extremely entertaining.

7. Lizo says:

I don’t get the logic of networks continually cancelling shows to try and launch something more successful next time. For VH1 particularly, it would be smart to renew a show that people like and then launch new stuff around it, maybe cancelling it after other things do better. But continually doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result is ridiculous

8. Anthony says:

Viacom networks are the worst run networks. .. this was VH1s only good show… ridiculous. .. how do you cancel a show especially after you already renew it. Guess I’ll be another season of basketball wives or love and hip hop… those shows suck.

9. Sarah says:

Nooooooo! I need this show.

10. Steven says:

Bye VH1. Never watching you again. To renew the show just to cancel it months later. Bull.

11. Well, there went the only reason I’ve had to watch VH1 in probably ten or more years.

12. Lulu says:

Who do we write to so we can fix this? I adored this show and am VERY upset by this news.

• Deanna says:

Yes, who do we contact?! I don’t care if it’s through VH1, Hulu, or Netflix; somebody needs to bring this original show back!

13. Jeremy says:

Not surprising as VH1’s president stepped down earlier this summer.
    It’s typical for a new network president to cancel many of the predecessor’s shows that weren’t pulling in high ratings so they can put their own stamp on the network as soon as possible. This is very much an ego thing.

14. Reba42 says:

Dang it! I just finished binging last week! I am choosing to think she got back on the elevator, married Andy, but agreeing first that he should come back out of his shell, like he was in the 90’s, and she eventually made up with Lolly.

15. Lilly77 says:

They shouldn’t be able to cancel something when they’d already announced that it was renewed. What about the actors and crew members who believed they had jobs for the coming season, and who perhaps passed over other jobs because of this? Not to mention it was a really interesting and funny show. Loved the 90s music each week. Cancelling the show is a mistake.

• Dean says:

tv show networks: they wouldn’t be doing their jobs if they weren’t slapping people in the face be it the cast, crew or faithful viewers.

16. Tammy says:

Come on Netflix or Hulu… step up!!!!!

17. Dean says:

Pity I just binge watched it and it wasn’t bad. Renewing and then ‘not going forward’ this is a big slap in the face to the fans.

18. webly3 says:

Never ever watching VH1 again. Hindsight was my favorite binge of the summer. This is the most upsetting news I’ve read this month.

19. Kim says:

This sucks! This was the only thing that I’ve enjoyed from VH1 in forever. Hopefully, it is picked up somewhere else.

20. Sammi says:

Noooooooooooooooo! This sucks!!!!!

21. Beth says:

Ridiculous

22. Joe says:

I love this show. Why would they cancel it? Some other network better pick up Hindsight quick.

• thisismenow says:

They might be losing money in the long run with the saturation of scripted shows right now? I just haven’t ever seen a program cancelled after being renewed without a new season starting.

23. Erica says:

BBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Give us a TV movie to end it at least!

24. Kalee says:

Can it be shopped to another network?

The statement reads like an admission that VH1 is complacent in continuing to be a network full of trash.

25. LADY_in_MD says:

Ugh this is really annoying I loved LOVED this show! From the story line to the music and clothes it really brought me back
    Now I know why my AA question wasn’t answered
    I hope Netflix of Hulu or maybe even Lifetime will pick up Hindsight

26. Jazz says:

I am so furious right now at how VH1 could do this right before they were going to start production on Season 2. This was the best thing VH1 had on their network and they just slapped everyone on that show in the face. I hope Hulu or even Lifetime picks this show up!

27. ammurra09 says:

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! This is horrible news. This was a hidden jem of a show and a great throwback to 90s nostalgia.

28. Alex says:

So MTV can basically do the same to Scream, right?

29. Amit says:

WHAT?

At least give us a wrap-up movie or something, WTF VH1.

30. I was literally just thinking about this show yesterday. This is crap. Someone else needs to pick it up.

31. Shaun says:

Well, looks like I won’t be watching VH1 anymore. That’s not even out of protest but in that it was the only VH1 show I watched. Really enjoyed this show and was better than VH1 deserved.

32. Shaun says:

Saw the show repeats on Hulu. Maybe that’s where focus should be directed for a pick up.

33. Tony Lang says:

Dear Netflix,
    Hi! It’s me, the guy who promised to never watch a Kardahsian show if you saved Longmire, and looks like we both delivered. I know I’m pushing it now, but would you mind picking up a refreshing series that did not get a single bad criticism yet was dropped by a channel that can’t seem to make up its Goddamn mind (Sorry God, but you’re not the one I pray to right now). Hinsight is a show that many people discovered -and fell in love with- AFTER the fact. So Season 2 would’ve definitely had lots more eyeballs. So please, Strong & Handsome netflix, if you can indulge a second season of Wachowski sex orgies, surely you can get be-“hind” a show that people actually like.

Yours,
    G. Etol-Yfe

34. fedfan81 says:

So they cancel Hindsight for what “quality” programming??? Don’t they mean bad reality! Boy this makes me so mad.

35. Meghan says:

Joining the chorus of people proclaiming how dumb this decision is. Hulu, Netflix, whoever, pick this up. It is a delight.

36. Daniel Armour says:

When I saw the rating for the first season each week, I didn’t expect the show would be picked up for a second season; and was pleasantly surprised that it was. Unfortunately, it seems that my first prediction was right after all. Obviously, you can’t force a network into keeping a show you like but it’s a pretty dick-ish move to cancel a show you already renewed.

37. tallsy says:

They’re getting out of scripted entirely. Hit the Floor was delayed for over a year.

38. Red Snapper says:

Well this sucks and I was already a bit depressed today. I really liked this show. I thought it was interesting and original. Also, I’m a huge 90s junkie so the show was totally up my alley. There’s nothing else like it on TV right now. I hope some other channel or streaming service sees the great potential that the show has but I doubt it.

39. Emor says:

This show would be perfectly matched up with Younger on TVLand! (I realize that is also a Viacom channel, but they have their own budget.) Come on TVLand, show those putzes at VH1 what a mistake they made!!!

40. WTF?!

Not cool, VH1! Not cool!

41. Cath says:

OMG this is the worst news of the day to me :(

42. Rob says:

Five words:
    Are You Effing Kidding Me?

43. Megan says:

Seriously!?! That’s ridiculous! I was really looking forward to the next season. Is there anything that can be done?

44. Nina says:

BOOOOOOOO

45. Ashley says:

So VH1 cancels the only thing on their network worth watching? That seems like good business.

46. Jim J. says:

This isn’t the first time a network has actually reversed a decision to renew a scripted show.

“Luck”, which aired on HBO in early 2012, was cancelled after three horses had to be euthanized during production and its viewership plunged around 60% throughout its Season 1.

“Eureka” was renewed for a 6-episode Season 6 by Syfy, but that decision was quickly reversed, leaving its cast an crew scrambling to finish the show’s storylines at its Season 5.

47. Robby says:

Hopefully, Hulu or Netflix comes to this shows rescue. Or VH-1 could have shipped it out to TV Land.

48. Jolene says:

Nooooooo :( this makes me sad

49. Singing_gal says:

I looked forward to this show so much every week, and told everyone I knew to watch it. Seriously, very disappointed.

50. Jenn says:

This show WAS the reason I even tuned into VH1.. well guess I won’t be anymore :-(