Fall TV Preview
Leonard and Penny Married

Big Bang Theory Cliffhanger Mystery Solved: Leonard and Penny [Spoiler] in the Season 9 Premiere

Will they or won’t they tie the knot — that was the nagging question The Big Bang Theory posed in last May’s finale as Leonard and Penny closed in on Las Vegas.

And now we have the definitive answer. (Spoilerphobes, that’s your cue to hit the nearest exit.)

Big Bang showrunner Steve Molaro confirms to TVLine that the longtime couple… will officially become husband and wife in the Season 9 premiere (airing Monday Sept. 21 at 8/7c). But, he cautions, “that’s really only the beginning of the story. As fun and as great as it is to see them get married, that’s only part of it.”

One issue likely delaying any potential honeymoon: The arrival of the woman Leonard kissed while on that North Sea expedition.

The occasional speed bump notwithstanding, Molaro believes the time is right for the two to take the plunge. “We’re nine years in and we want to keep things moving forward, as well as exciting and scary and fun,” he says. “And I think this a great way to do it. Penny has had commitment issues for years and years now, especially when it comes to Leonard, and even she feels, ‘How much longer are we going to go back and forth on this? Let’s just jump in and hope for the best.'”

1. Karen says:

If Penny still has man hair this season, I’m out. She was cast to be the pretty girl next door, not the box-shaped dike no one wants to look at.

2. John NYC says:

Oh my Amy’s going to be circling Sheldon with a gleam in her eye….

3. Lauren says:

Yay! I’m still unhappy they had to write in Leonard kissing someone. But I would have been super pissed to see their relationship move backwards again.

• Cas says:

I thought it was dumb to write that in. I never saw Leonard as someone who would ever cheat on Penny.

• Xtina says:

I hated that too, Leonard is now ugly and a cheater and makes less money than Penny now. He has no redeeming qualities. All of the women in this show are way too good for their guys and I find it unrealistic beautiful, smart successful women would EVER settle for these types of guys. I hope in the next season they all ditch the guys and have fun in Vegas on their own, because the show is getting really predictable with the will they or won’t they?
        It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia blows every comedy show out of the water and is by far the funniest, less stale show on television.

• Tex Teach says:

The lure of the guys is that they are brilliant. The mind is the sexiest part of a person. Nerds Rock!!!

• dlraetz says:

Agreed that nerd rock–but we are getting less and less of the guys success and more of them being just another bunch of loser type guys with gorgeous wives that litter TV.

• AngieD says:

Remember – Leonard did kiss another woman while having a long distance relationship with Priya – she one upped him by actually sleeping with her ex boyfriend in India. Leonard admitted to both women that he shouldn’t have kissed the comic book artist. So, we know that Leonard has kissed other women while in a relationship.

As to why Penny, Bernadette and Amy are with Leonard, Howard and SHeldon? Up until this, Leonard has treated Penny better than any other boyfriend she’s had. Bernadette was very different when she and Howard were dating – if anything, she’s become more controlling since they got married (money, chores around the house, etc.) Her mean streak came out only a little bit when Howard thought his mother had a heart attack over their engagement, but has gotten worse since then. AMy is also very different from when she 1st joined the gang – other than the speed of their social growth , Amy and SHeldon still share many thoughts in common. Anyway, the comedy is related to their differences vs the good parts of their relationships.

4. al says:

What is Penny’s last name. It has to be said in the wedding. First and last names are always said in a wedding.

• Daya says:

Sadly, I’m sure they’ll find a way around it.

Also, we need another episode with Penny’s dad, posthaste. Preferably bitching about missing the wedding. xD

• Allison says:

I think I read he is going to be in at least one episode this season. Sheldon’s mom is also coming back at least once too, I love her!

• Daya says:

Do you ever feel like Sheldon and Lenny were switched at birth? Like they each have the mother the other would’ve wanted? :D

• Mary says:

Ah, you’re assuming that they’ll show the full wedding. They’ll probably just jump to the being pronounced portion of the ceremony if they show any of it at all.

5. catee says:

So I guess that Penny’s last name will be Hofsteder? and we’ll never know what it was before.

6. Jean says:

I’m gone from the show. Can’t stand whimpering, hand ringing Leonard. So bye bye, you were my favorite but now you are the least show. What are you paying whimpering little Leonard? A four year old sissy acts like him. He really is disgusting. Bye, bye.

7. Billy says:

Yeah, you put “spoiler alert” in there. But when I google “Big Bang Theory” to find out when the season premier is, the first thing that showed up was the title of this page which says they get married in the premier. I wonder how many people you’ve ruined that for. Thanks.

8. Mark says:

After reading this I thought the writers have missed a trick here — the episodes when the characters went to Texas to see Sheldon’s home were really funny and all we have had is stories of Penny’s home and the odd family visit to her in LA. It would have been funny to have seen Leonard try and fit in with Penny’s extended family — it would also have added some back story to all the stories from the previous seasons before they got hitched…

9. Mystery says:

I don’t know why the producers of these types of shows haven’t figured out that the popularity of the shows is based on the scene location. “Friends” and “Big Bang” and other such shows take place in a warm and fun-filled location that most of us DON’T have. It fills a void.
    When you start marrying people off and introducing love interests and other such romantic nonsense then you detract from the premise that made the show popular in the beginning. I predict that “Big Bang” will soon fade away and go into reruns just like “Friends”.

• AngieD says:

The show heightened in popularity because it was started re-airing on TBS a couple of summers ago. I didn’t watch during the regular TV season until after catching the show that summer. I think I watched the Pilot when it 1st aired and didn’t like it. So, thanks to TBS, there are a lot more fans now ….

• Television says:

I agree, keep the real life stuff out. The deaths, weddings, etc is too real. I want to escape into a make believe world of fantastical comedy. Lets have goofiness, not relationship problems. And I can’t stand Penny now.

• FJE says:

I don’t mind that Penny is more independent. He character needed to grow, but what is annoying how consistent the writers are by keeping Leonard so paranoid, and insecure about their relationship.

• Mary says:

It’s already in reruns, as well as entering it’s 9th season and the show was already renewed for a 10th. Howard and Bernadette got married in the sixth season and the show didn’t end.

So I’d say you’re prediction isn’t going to happen.

10. dlraetz says:

I really wonder if Sheldon is going to live with Leonard and Penny now.

11. LM says:

Is this “other woman” story line the moment the show jumped the shark? If you look back at the season premiere (and that’s easy to do), Leonard showed no sign of having kissed another woman. He not only bragged about Penny at the close of the first episode, while still at sea, but came home early to be with her — with no sign of any guilt in that episode.

So the producers spontaneously create this conflict well over a season later? Really?

12. Jeff says:

Boo. Would have rather had them cast Penny’s mom first for a real wedding!

13. Kim R says:

I wonder why the PTB decided to spoil the premiere? I should have hit the back key when Michael gave the cue. Rats. Curiosity killed the cat.

• FJE says:

Is it really a surprise that they will be married. How could this relationship possibly spit again and they still remain friends at this point?

14. ViningsGal says:

If this season isn’t better than last, I’m done. I’ve been a huge BBT for years, but last season was horrible. I’m over Sheldon and his condescension and constantly picking on Leonard and Leonard taking it. I’m hoping this season will be funny, but not counting on it.

15. C.O. Brown says:

Leonard needs to dump Penny. She looks to much like Miley Cyrus and that’s not a good thing.

16. Linda W. says:

Love this show. It’s one of the funniest shows running on national TV. Everyone on Big Bang Theory are very talented. I laugh so hard, as I would think others do as well at all of the characters.This is what this world needs right now. A Big Bang Theory marathon day!!!!!!!!!

17. Don says:

We really don’t care anymore. We watch last seasons shows but have no interest in the newer ones. Penny is not “Penny” anymore, she is a total stranger who only rates an “Oh hum” from us.
    They really should have paid the writers more money or hired new ones, it’s boring.

18. Lanie Becker says:

As much as I love and prefer long hair (especially on myself) some women can actually pull off short hair. My best friend has short hair and looks great on her and I can’t picture her with long. However as much as I love Kaylie Cuocco I do think she looked better with short hair but I still love her and will watch religiously. I didn’t much like her 8 simple rules but that’s just her character and she was made to be hated. She is still an awesome actress.

19. trinity says:

I have a aunt that is ubsest with show waches it every night she seen all of them exempt the ones that are coming out