Exclusive
Betty White Bones

Betty White Is Bones' Newest Squintern

Bones is not messing around in Season 11.

The long-running Fox procedural has tapped Betty White to guest star as the Jeffersonian’s latest squintern, TVLine has learned.

White will play Dr. Beth Mayer,  an accomplished, sharp as a tack squintern who is brought in to assist in a murder linked to fantasy football — which just happens to be one of her many areas of expertise. With a half century of work under her belt, Dr. Mayer is considered the world’s most experienced forensic anthropologist, which will lead to some serious competition with Emily Deschanel’s Brennan.

White is coming off of a six-season run on Hot in Cleveland.

Her episode is scheduled to air in late October. Bones kicks off Season 11 on Thursday, Oct. 1 at 8/7c.

1. DarkDefender says:

Wow. Sounds like they are bringing in the big guns to spruce up the show. Great casting.

2. mamalyn says:

That would make a good show on it’s own!! I’d watch it.

3. maregolden says:

If she has been “an experienced forensic anthropologist” for 50 years, why would she still be a squintern?

• Sarah says:

Because everybody’s a squintern next to Bones? Lol! I like it, though: it gives some of the more experienced people, like Clark, the same work that Bones does, but without a lot of the responsibility.

• John NYC says:

That’s explained in the “serious competition” aspect: for Bones, in that institution EVERYONE is a “Squintern” aka a newbie assistant. Though it’s not she who uses that term it’s Booth.

4. Steven says:

I stopped watching Bones years ago, but with the Sleepy Hollow crossover and now this I’ll have to check it out again.

5. KC says:

April Fool!

6. Luis says:

This is the greatest news in history. Penicillin, the New Deal, flight, all pikers compared to this.

7. Wicked says:

Sounds cute, but by most ‘experienced’ anthropologist are we saying in a politically correct way that she is the oldest? We all know Brennan is the best in the world….
    Fantasy Football too? I hope that does’t mean Booth is gambling again…….I’d like to forget that bad storyline.

• John NYC says:

“Experienced” doesn’t conflict with “best” necessarily, just a wider breadth of cases having been seen by her perhaps and it does seem to be a field where personal experience is where a lot of the knowledge is derived.

• Sonya Lowe says:

Where were you when Booth picked up the phone and placed a bet? That is when I stopped watching.However, I will pick it up again for Betty White.

8. lqza says:

OMG, this show is getting ridiculous!

9. Well, this might be interesting. I do love Betty White…should be fascinating to see how she interacts with the staff. Especially BONES!

10. bshaid says:

Oh!!! Can’t wait!! Zingers!!

11. suzyku says:

Sounds like a lot of fun!

12. demographically insignificant says:

Betty White is an awesome actress! Great casting!

13. tahina says:

I seldom watch the show, but will make an exception for Betty!

14. Ethel says:

OH, this will be wonderful!

15. Mary S says:

Yay, Betty White!!! I can’t imagine how Bones will be able to work up a competition with such an experienced person, but, if she does, I hope Betty puts her in her place! “Oh, yes, I did that procedure before you were born, and I found that by changing this one ting, you can get the results much faster.” Or something like that. We know that Temperance is a genius, but at some point, she MUST meet someone who will say “In another 20 years you will have figured it out, like I did, 20 years ago.”

16. This is the most exciting news since sliced bread.

17. Ruth Ann Walker says:

WOW, I’m impressed and I simply LOVE Ms. Betty White, she is a fabulous actress, hilarious, sarcastically funny. This should really, really be a great show. Way to go Bones for picking a winner (everyone likes Ms White). I’m totally excited and hyped up for Season 11. Also so very glad that Mr. Boreanax is well & back on set. Love Bones.

18. Lizo says:

I’m not a Bones fan, but I’ll watch that episode

19. kmw says:

Now that should be fun. Seeing Betty White spar with Emily’s Brennan. I have to admit I wouldn’t have seen Bones cast her in that kind of specific role. Bones hasn’t done many funny episodes lately so this should be good.

20. bittyrixi says:

This is so frickin exciting. Can’t wait!

21. Bella says:

Can’t wait for Betty White.

22. tannerose5 says:

I would love to see Bones cut down a peg or two. Brennen is getting unteachable with her arrogance and know-it-all attitude. I would rather watch Clark. He is very knowledgeable and personable. I say bring it on.

• kmw says:

Then it sounds like just the episode for you. I love both Booth and Brennan and seeing her spar with a 93 year old expert will be funny. The fantasy football part of it should be good as well.

23. kirads09 says:

Betty certainly is wonderful. But I just cant see this working. I gave up on Bones quite a while back. I think all the signs are pointing that this is one show, despite all that was once wonderful about it, that has been on the air waaay past its prime.

• John NYC says:

For you.

Not me.

• Ella says:

Hmm, so you gave up on Bones ‘a while back’, yet you think you’re qualified to have an opinion on the quality of the show now? Newsflash: you’re not.

If you don’t watch the show anymore, why does it bother you that it’s still on the air? I don’t get people with a mindset like that. When I stop watching a show, I don’t care if it goes onto have many more seasons, it doesn’t bother me one bit, why should it? And I certainly don’t comment about shows I no longer watch.

24. William says:

She’s practically BONES herself….but for 50 years she’s STILL an intern?

• John NYC says:

Not really a “squintern”, which is Booth’s label for any of Brennan’s assistants and apparently adopted by TvLine as the generic term. However experienced she is she’s still the newbie of that team.

25. Paloma says:

Sounds more like a consultant than a squintern.

Not looking forward to this episode. Not a Betty White fan.

26. Sheewolf says:

WOW ,I just can not wait ,I love Betty ,just think at 93 still doing what she likes the most ,I wonder just how many of us can or could do the same at that age :)

27. Stacy says:

Yeah, I no longer watch Bones, but I may very well check out this episode just for fun. I’m glad for the cast and crew, but I tend to have a clock on how long I can watch until I need a new fictional world.

28. Kate Garner says:

This. This. This. All day this.

29. Jake says:

Another “expert in the field in competition with Bones” episode, not like they haven’t done that before, though the writer think the stunt casting with Betty White somehow makes it a novel idea. I guess the writers aren’t wrong, based on the posts here…

30. Linda Rath says:

If Betty White is going to be on in October. Its going to be a great show. Anything she does. It turns out to be great. Can’t wait to see it

31. Ron says:

Oh my gosh, TVLine just gave me a mini heart attack. I saw the picture of Betty in the featured stories and didn’t see the accompanying title right away, and I feared the worst. Sigh of relief. I don’t really watch Bones, but I’ll likely check out her episode.

32. KenL says:

Okay. This is amazing casting and a great, great idea. I hope she is in multiple episodes!!!!!!

33. Should make for some GREAT repartee between her and Bones!

34. SherryB says:

Well, it ought to be interesting to say the least…

35. Terry says:

Awesome!

36. acurat says:

Awesome to see her on this show. She is such an accomplished actress and comedian, and her wit is still amazing. I saw her on a “birthday” show on NBC a couple of years ago, and she showed up Zack Levy who was making some jokes with her – she shot them right back at him!

37. cheryl says:

Really miss her on Hot In Cleveland. Good choice for Bones.

38. arial2 says:

I love it! She’s got the best sense of humor and timing. Am also anticipating the little barbs thrown in effortlessly (Bones probably won’t even realize they’re cutting remarks until Angela explains them). So much potential for this episode! Can’t wait to see it!

39. patricia says:

Hi, its great news that Betty White is going to be on Bones, just what it needs. Betty is a wonderfully and funny lady,

40. bj says:

I haven’t watched Bones in a while but I’ll definitely tune in to see that.

41. Darlene says:

I’m a huge Bones fan and betty white will make for an interesting episode. But please already can’t we have our Zack Addy back? Other shows bring people back from the dead, so he munched on a few bones (pun intended) he’s had enough psych therapy. I WANT MY ZACK ADDY BACK!!! Think of the plot lines???

• John NYC says:

That might require recasting the part: the actor has one imdb listing since he left Bones.

For iconic roles I’m not usually a fan of recasting but if you’ve got a suggestion?

42. tsevca says:

I hope they make her a regular.