Sons of Anarchy Spinoff

Sons of Anarchy Spinoff in the Works — Who Will Be the Focus?

Sons of Anarchy creator Kurt Sutter is officially developing a spinoff of FX’s well-watched biker drama, TVLine has confirmed.

Few details are known about the offshoot, other than it would focus on the Mayans motorcycle club.

One year ago, with an eye on Sons‘ final run of episodes, Sutter said there had been “serious conversations” about a prequel series, perhaps chronicling the origins of John Teller and Piney Winston, while at the same time he pooh-poohed the idea of a spinoff per se.

“Spinoffs work well, obviously, in procedural dramas, which [Sons] is not,” he said.

Sons wrapped its seven-season run in December with a series-high audience of 6.2 million total viewers (which in Live+3 swelled to 9.3 mil). Sutter’s latest creation, the period drama The Bastard Executioner, debuts Tuesday, Sept. 15 on FX.

Would you tune in for a Mayans-centric Sons spinoff?

1. Allen says:

I hope its set in the future so we could see what become of Abel. Seems like he is little jax in the making

2. Tony says:

Heck yes I would watch. Saw every episode of sons. Please please produce this…

3. CactusRose says:

OK, what’s up with all the crappy ads at the top of the page when you click on to read a story? You can’t get rid of them!!! Please stop making us wait until the ads load and then having to scroll down past them to the middle of the page to get the story. There are so many ads and other junk on these pages it’s impossible to find the story sometimes! Clean up your act!

• Butters says:

I believe the ads should be specific to you or what you search on the internet. My ads are all from a travel site which I just booked a few hotels from. Also, they need the ads so that TVLINE team can earn a living and pay the bills. Finnally, is it really hard to just ignore the ads and go to the article. How long did it take you to do it? It only took me a second or two.

• K.W. says:

I don’t have any ads at the top of the page, just some adds on the right and after the article but before the comments

4. Sharon says:

Of course I would….I’d pretty much watch anything Sutter does!

5. Bill Cord says:

The most interesting pre-sequel would be the Teller story but it has one big down side: viewers already know the ending. Another problem is how self-absorbed Sutter has become if he was involved in the new show.

• Dys says:

Knowing the ending doesn’t bother me at all because we can still enjoy seeing how the things that lead to the known ending play out.

• Pat says:

Prequels are stupid, so hopefully that never comes to be at all. They are so dumb because you know what can and can’t happen. One of the most pointless things ever, next to remakes. Oh look, that character is in peril, whoops, they can’t die yet. Pointless.

As for a spinoff, pffft, stop milking it.

6. neatcheat says:

I’d say that prequel about JT and Piney sounded much more promising than Mayans stuff. I’ll give it a try though.

• Mike M says:

Loved SOA so this is said a touch tongue in cheek… but please Kurt, lets NOT try and figure out how we jam Katey in this as Gemma and make it believable.

7. justsomeguy says:

The reason he wouldn’t do a Sons prequel is because you already know how it all ends. All the lies, all the dirt and then you’re forced to recast Gemma, Clay, John, Jax, Piney, Opie.. so many characters that are iconic and memorable in their own right in the original series. The only thing you could really do is really make the Irish prominent and hope that the part of the manuscript that you never get to know about is enough. I don’t know that that’s meaty enough to warranty a multiple season run, in addition to the other problem.

Telling a Mayans story is way better because you get to delve into a whole new story with a setup already in place, and you basically bring in Alvarez and introduce a dozen new people. That’s more interesting to me as a viewer, and I’m sure to Sutter as a story teller.

• Alicia says:

U can recast ppl who died on the show with a gun shot to te head… n i think it would be somethig to see what becomes of the boys n if thwy fallow footsteps… n i think jax should live but than die on the sequal as he gives the boys the ways of the club..

8. laura says:

Would I watch spinoff, in a heart beat. I hope the actor ( I don’t know his name) who had played Alverez in Sons has the lead. I think he’s great and I find him handsome and very dangerous. Also waiting for First 9.

9. I hope it’s the future, I absolutely loved this show hurry Kurt were waiting for this

10. Sherry says:

I wouldnt miss anything Kurt Sutter does…he is a genius master mind fk!!!!

11. Pop Vulture says:

Not interested in the Mayans, or in a prequel. Can we stick with the characters, or the families of the characters, that we know and love?

12. [eegee says:

yes I would give it a try

13. Eliza says:

Hmm, IDK what my interest level would be. I wasn’t a big fan of the last two seasons of SoA, especially the final season. Thought most of it was boring & drawn out. So, I’m not sure I’d enter this world again with Sutter.

14. dman6015 says:

Oh, g-d, no. Not again. SOA was television at its worst. A spin-off couldn’t possibly sink any lower, but I’m sure they’ll try.

• Jason Stoesz says:

LOL….your troll game needs some work. Some pretty preposterous staements in your blathering commentary.

• Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Why comment on THIS page if you don’t like the show?! (EYEROLL)…..Anyways I would LOVE to see this I love the show and it should about JT AND Piney. The whole First 9 and they came together, but I also agree w/one comment that they have re-cast some of the original characters tho. If they do they better do a damn good job playing them!!!!

• Alicia says:

How can u say soa wasnt good tv?? It was good tv ! It was better than trashy realaity shows n trashy shows that are on now a days.. glad we actally went back to “tv” for 7 yrs

15. Ellinas1978 says:

Prequel sounds like a better story than a Mayan spinoff.

16. g2-2a28070df14d0ab123e53c419a9e3487 says:

SQUEEEEEE! I’d prefer the prequel with JT, but I will watch anything SOA related!

17. Robert says:

If this were to go way back detailing how the First 9 came to be that I would watch. Mayans centric with flashbacks to their time in Nam to show why they are so ruthless. Kurt Go!

18. MP says:

I’d love to see a prequel during John Teller’s young days to see how the Sons became the Sons. I’d much prefer that than a show about the Mayans.

19. Jody says:

I would not watch a spinoff about the Mayans! Everyone one gets caught up in prequel or spinoff, which gets old. It’s been done! Let’s see a sequel on tv, either have them pick it up with us finding out Jax is alive A few years later and the Sons allowing him back in. Or pick up the show where they say it’s like 10 years later and Abel comes in to take his dad’s throne!

20. Bark Star says:

One word: Nero

21. Renee hughes says:

I think the only thing plausible would be to jump ahead to the story of abel…we already know the outcome of the first nine…jt, and piney. The mayans???uhhh…NO. we watched because we loved this family (SOA). We will keep watching because we love them, who cares about the mayans…not I.

22. Marti Blair says:

of course as long as we can keep up with whos fighting who

23. Michele says:

No Mayans please!!!
    Either prequel or of jax and or able

24. Tanya Gribble says:

Heck yes! I have watched Sons two straight times and I was still a blubbering mess at the end of the series! Love Sutter’s writing style.

25. Janice martien says:

I personally think there is no sonS of any kind without Jax . I loved sons so much I still watch from season 1 until the end. Spin off would be great

26. Yes I would watch it. But maybe do a prequel with Jax Father J T leading up to his murder and leading into SOA. Then u see a very young Jax and how the life his father lead affected him Just like what they did with Star Wars.

27. Linda says:

Yes give me more miss it looking forwards to spin-off