Mr. Robot

Mr. Robot Season Finale Postponed Due to Tragic Shooting in Virginia

USA Network has pushed back the Season 1 finale of its acclaimed drama Mr. Robot, due to the tragic events that took place early Wednesday morning in Virginia.

The already renewed Mr. Robot was to wrap its run tonight at 10/9c; instead, the finale will air next Wednesday, Sept. 2.

In a statement, USA Network explained: “The previously filmed season finale of Mr. Robot contains a graphic scene similar in nature to today’s tragic events in Virginia. Out of respect to the victims, their families and colleagues, and our viewers, we are postponing tonight’s episode. Our thoughts go out to all those affected during this difficult time.”

Interestingly, the Mr. Robot finale had previously been edited to be hyper-topical, with the addition of a reference to the very recent Ashley Madison website hack.

Around 6:45 am Wednesday, reporter Alison Parker, 24, and cameraman Adam Ward, 27, of the CBS affiliate WDBJ-7 were reporting from Bridgewater Plaza in Moneta, Va., when a former colleague approached and fired about a half-dozen gunshots, hitting Parker, Ward and their interview subject.

Parker and Ward were declared dead not long thereafter, while the third victim is now recovering from surgery, in stable condition. The suspected gunman, Vester Lee Flanagan aka Bryce Williams, shot himself upon being chased down by police on Interstate 66 and later died at the hospital.

1. EchoX860 says:

Ugh, really?

2. aa says:

At least put it online or something…

3. Jim says:

Im sorry, I sympathize with the victims and their loved ones but this is just stupid. Theres no difference in playing the episode tonight or a week from now if its not going to be altered or anything. Mature adults are watching this show not children. Put a warning on the beginning about the graphic content and similarities and air the episode. By not airing it youre just giving more power to the maniac that did this. The viewers should be allowed to decide on their own if they can handle the material now or at a later time

• dude says:

This is perhaps one of the dumbest comments I’ve seen. First of all, no one’s giving power to the shooter by postponing an episode of Mr. Robot. He didn’t shoot two of his colleagues as some protest against the USA network so chill. Secondly, if Mr. Robot is a show watched by adults, you can find some patience and wait a week to watch your show like adults would. They’re postponing it out of respect, you might want to find some.

• militantgod says:

Very true. It would be like the NFL playing Week 1 when 9/11 happened instead of mourning for a week. Give it it a week to let things settle down. Is it really the end of the world to wait one whole week? We had to wait months for the Buffy episode to air when Columbine happened. Fans of this show should be lucky they’re even gonna see it this soon.

• thisismenow says:

Haven experienced a delay after the Sandy Hook shooting too. They delayed the airing of the final 2 episodes of Season 3 by a month because of the subject matter.

• Grey's Fan says:

I believe Melrose Place also held back scenes of a bomb explosion in a season finale after some real-life tragedy… don’t remember which one.

• Lisa says:

What about the comment is dumb? Me voicing my opinion? Very respectful of you too then i guess… But i dont see how airing a fictional tv show is being disrespectful to the victims. Their families and loved ones certainly wouldnt be watching the show tonight anyway I would hope. TELEVISION IS FICTIONAL.. Not meant to be taken so personally. People have just become incredibly sensitive in regards to matters that have nothing to do with them. I never implied that the sick man who did this act was protesting the USA network. His motives were to incite racial tensions in our country and retaliate for what he believes were wrongdoings to himself and his race. Of course i dont agree with them and think what he did is another tragedy in a long growing list of despicable acts involving gun violence in this country but it is most certainly giving power to his actions and his voice when networks cancel tv shows due to attacks like this. It helps to demonstrate that when you do something like take innocent lives the world will listen to you. No one watching mr robot tonight would have been watching it with intentions of disrespect in their minds for the victims, but now with this national attention and affiliation brought on by the postponing im sure several will be

• Jim says:

The comment above posted under my wifes name as shes the default for this site and the one who typically uses it. But first of all 9/11 is in no way comprable to what happened today. And second, im perfectly fine with waiting for the episode. Id wait a year if necessary but I find the reasons behind the postponing, as i have for many instances like this with tv over the years, to be rediculous in my opinion thats all. The film san andreas was released about a week after an earthquake killed many lives and yet hardly anyone protested that decision. Sensitivity is selective apparently

• Cindy says:

The shooter is dead. To my knowledge, and I could very well be wrong as I’ve had to work all day and haven’t been able to stay current, his motives have not been made known yet. I do know that he sent a “lengthy fax” to a “national news organization” that makes some who read it think it was premeditated. But, to my knowledge, it has not been made public.

For myself, I don’t much care if it airs tonight. I record it and am behind in my viewing. However, I don’t think I’d watch it tonight even if I was current. I live less than 45 minutes away from where the shooting happened. I was at Smith Mountain Lake recently, have plans to go there this weekend and again next weekend. WDBJ is a local station. This all hit a bit close to home, literally. I think I’d prefer a little bit of time passed before I watched a show that has a similar incident, especially if I was unaware of it before tuning in.

Your mileage may vary.

• KitanaKat says:

I think both sides could argue a compelling case on this topic, I see both of your points. I used to fall on the side wanting the episode aired, the Buffy postponement particularly stinging. Once I was personally affected by senseless violence (not the direct victim, just one left behind) I found TV could be a pretty random, pretty strong smack in the face reminder of the loss. ( Of course it’s always my choice to watch a program that contains violence, and being a sci fi fan primarily it’s always going to happen.) That town experienced a horrible tragedy, my heart hurts for them. You get somewhat attached to reporters you watch every day, I can’t imagine watching one of them killed on the morning news. My meandering point is, I think the best call is to come down on the side of respect. Out of respect for the loved ones, anyone touched by this shooting, postpone it. It’s kind of like how a wake was explained to me when I didn’t understand the point when the person I knew was dead and wouldn’t care. It’s about showing up and paying respect to the memory of the deseased, and to the family and friends left behind. The network is showing up.

• Jake says:

What she said. I was looking forward to the finale but I can wait a week. There’s so much killing on tv and in movies, people are numb to the real thing. Mr. Robot, on the other hand, had only two murders I think in the first nine episodes (not counting Elliot’s delusions) and in that aspect has been a refreshing change-of-pace.

• David4 says:

I think the bigger issue is within the next week there will probably be a few more shootings.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Except this isn’t about “a” shooting but a thematically similar one. Just as HAVEN’s too closely evoked Sandy Hook.

• Cindy says:

Thank you, Matt.
            I’m not a family member of the victims but it would bother me if the show aired, especially if I was unaware of the similarity. As I said to someone else, this was a little too close to home, literally.

• LOL says:

What’s dumb is you worrying about getting to watch your TV show when two innocent people were killed.

• Wtf? says:

Whats also dumb is that when my uncle was shot like an airing episode of CSI they didn’t postpone that did they? Nope, because no one knew about it accept for me and my family. I dont mind waiting an extra week, Mr. Robot is beyond worth it, and i do sympathize for for the victims and their families. My point is… just because this was on live TV, makes these two people and this case much more serious… right? Pfft…

RIP Alison and Adam.

• Julie says:

I totally get what you are saying Lisa and I agree that people got way off track with you. (Really, protesting USA network? Where did they get that? Cuz it wasn’t from your post.)

• paco says:

Thank you.

• fairmont1955 says:

Mature adults can appreciate the compassion and humanity to pause for a moment (or a week) and wait to watch a tv episod.e

• Lana Alley says:

agreed – there was NO similarity to the finale and the unfortunate events. when will we, as an American society, stop seeking the soft tit that never nourishes well?

4. Wordsmith says:

Better to err on the side of respectful caution, I suppose.
    However, I’m definitely now wondering how closely the scene in question will hew to today’s events. I’m more curious than ever to see this finale.

5. Steven says:

Of all the things that can be done in this country as a reaction to this shooting. Networks are quick to pull a violent program, but god forbid we even bring up gun control.

• dude says:

They’ll just argue that reporter should have been packing during her segment.

• c-mo says:

I will never understand how gun laws will keep guns out the hands of those who get their guns illegally in the first place.

• Patrick says:

If guns are generally far less available, then there will not be guns available for people to get illegally.

• Wtf? says:

Thats so not true, like at all… guns will around. And when people like you vote for gun control, we’ll all be helpless. Thanks. Lol

• maregolden says:

Then how do you explain the fact that there has not been a mass shooting in Australia since they took everyone’s guns away? That was in 1996. Not. One. Since.

• Lucifer says:

@Margolden, there have been 2 mass shootings and 6 other mass killings since 1996 in Australia. #CheckYourFacts

• Mike M says:

Totally 100% correct. Writing this from New Zealand. We do not have the right to bare arms, firearms licenses are extremely hard to get, weapons must be securely locked away when not in use and can not be carried in public. On the other side of the coin our public TV displays programming from all English speaking countries from all sources and includes any and all language after 8.30 pm free to air. One day America will catch up to the fact that when you can put a gun in 100 peoples hands – 5 of them, at some stage. will lose all sense of what is right and wrong, and 1 of those 5 is highly likely to use that weapon when they shouldn’t, and every now and then that scenario is going to include when it’s pointed at someone; instead of using their mouth or fists. For such an advanced country you are so totally in the dark about some things it’s not funny.

• Curly Girly says:

Yeah, just like drugs huh? SMH that you really believe this.

• Gern Blanston says:

Many of the guns that are used in crimes are stolen from people that obtained them legally. Lower the amount of guns in the country and you lower the amount of guns that are available to be stolen. That’s how gun laws can keep guns out of the hands of criminals. These numbers are almost 30 years old, but according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics 50% of juveniles that were locked up at that time had stolen a gun of some sort. However, none of this really has anything to do with the people that were shot and USA’s decision to pull the show for a week.

• Mike M says:

Oh, but bringing up gun control would be totally inappropriate. People only have the right to be sad, then be angry, then be worried they don’t have a big enough gun to defend themselves, before they rush out and buy a new 45 for every room in the house plus the car(s). So while it is the US’s god given right to keep and bear arms it is also equally the right to bear the coffins they create and just get on with it without fuss. One begets the other. You make the bed, you lie in it, literally.

6. Lily says:

Wait a minute, all these TV critics have already seen it? Unfair. Somebody at least tell me if it’s revealed that Angela is really Eliot’s ex-wife (or at least ex-girlfriend), because that’s the theory that I’ve had for a while, and I really want to know if it’s true.

7. Mr. Tran K says:

That’s really disappointing when their favorite shows had to postpone an episode because of real life tragic events. Just like what they did back in April 2013 when Revolution (NBC) postpone an episode due to the Boston Marathon bombing.

8. CJ says:

I’m surprised at others’ reaction to this; I think they’ve made the right choice in postponing the finale. Sure, it’s a bit inconvenient or annoying for those who have been really looking forward to it, as I was, but I am also pretty emotionally spent after today’s events and I doubt I am alone. Personally, I am more than okay waiting another week and I think it was the right decision.

9. aph1976 says:

I can understand USA postponing the season finale of Mr.Robot out of respect.Plus this is not the first time a network did something like this and it may not be the last time.However i’m sure the fans of the show are mad but i don’t think one more week really matters that much.Plus if the network had aired the episode tonight they could have been accused of exploiting today’s tragedy somehow.

10. Eva says:

Ugh, stoopid ‘Muricans with their stoopid guns. How do you manage to find a day WITHOUT a shooting to air your graphic tv scenes? Will the finale still air in Canada or somewhere this week?

• TV Gord says:

It doesn’t even start in Canada until September.

• Mike M says:

There isn’t one, no such day exists. There should, by rights, out of respect and all, be NO television aired in the USA, EVER. Hey, no please try that and see how many of you really care about you stupid guns. Then maybe those that do can all meet up and trade bullets. This decision is just as mindless as your gun laws.

11. David4 says:

If you delay a TV show in America because of a shooting then nothing will ever be shown.

12. eddie willers says:

Somebody will be mad their show is postponed and shoot somebody. You can’t win.

13. jack says:

Yeah, keep sensationalizing shootings. What could go wrong.

• A Fan of TV says:

They already are! Depicting violence on TV for entertainment’s sake is sensationalizing it. The point is knowing when to take a breath.

14. Ellinaras78 says:

Really? Like the families of the victims will be watching USA tonight.

• Kenny says:

Exactly what I was thinking! Did Mr. Esmail even have say in this decision? There’s a lot of disappointed people tonight, that’s for sure.

• Jax&Juice's Girl says:

I was looking forward of watching the finale……..so F-IN STUPID just because of what happened ”in real life”. This is a freakin TV SHOW!!!!!! But whatever USA did the right thing out of respect for the families of those involved of that situation.

15. Joey Padron says:

good of USA doing this. I can wait a week for season finale.

16. David Lazarek says:

Ridiculous publicity stunt. Very disappointed in USA for doing this.

17. Jay Barnett says:

Could this be predictive programing in action? Well this is Mr Robot after all so it just kinda fits really.. hollywood predicting reality and vise versa. This kind of thing happens all the time. Hollywood (magic wand) is a vehicle for predictive programing and social conditioning. It was designed that way in its inception. ie: Hollywood! No one even thinks about where the word Hollywood came from, its the wood you use to make a wand and cast a spell on people.

18. localidiot says:

are you effing kidding me, no episode, but local news has murder on a loop for 5pm news

• Mr. Robot says:

When are people going to grow a brain and realize TV IS NOT REAL! Even what you see on TV that is based on facts is still less than 25% real due to manipulation of the facts. Wake up!

19. demiyah says:

Awww i have been waiting all week for the season finale rip those people who died i wish that man would have rotted in prision

20. Tammy says:

Considering I’m from the area where this happened, thank you. We have seen and heard enough today. Most of you probably haven’t had this play out in real time in front of you but we did. This isn’t the first time networks have done this…. Buffy was pulled once, maybe twice because of HS violence that was eerily similar to real life events. Other shows have been pulled before too. Just because this didn’t happen in your area or even your side of the country, doesn’t mean others aren’t effected. BTW, good job in getting the details correct about the shooting.

21. Rick Katze says:

I have mixed views on their decision to delay it. Without seeing the episode, it is difficult to criticize them and a one week delay is not unreasonable.

After the episode is shown, I will comment on whether or not USA was reasonable in the call they made.

22. Mary S says:

Has anybody learned why the man shot his former colleagues? He did it on-air, so he must have been trying to make a point of some kind…or had he gotten fired and was just a sore loser?
    I do not understand this need to kill people…and if loonies couldn’t get guns, there couldn’t be so many shootings…might be stabbings, but at least that gives someone a fighting chance…
    i’m just sitting here shaking my head in confusion and consternation…and I applaud USA Network for its sensitivity toward the survivors of the tragic occurrences…

• It’s extremely difficult to kill with a knife, both physically and psychologically. That’s why mass stabbings are pretty rare, and rarely result in a high number of casualties. The one in China is the only one I can think of, but that was 8 people, and between them they killed 29 other people (and injured 143). Now imagine 8 people with automatic guns…

23. maregolden says:

@Lucifer: I tried to post links to the Australian news articles about mass shootings there but I guess tvline doesn’t allow links. I googled mass shooting in Australia and only got stories about how there have not been any since 1996. The articles were written in June 2015.

24. And the pussification of America continues…

25. Shane Virtue says:

I do not know if the TV show conflicted with the narrative, yet there is a agenda to be followed through. Patience is a Virtue, or is this a stunt to draw more viewers? Tell me, what did the Romans do?

26. HG Lite says:

Mr Robot finale has been re-edited. The episode was listed to air 1hr and 15 min, now it’s 1hr? WTF @hgbstc