Teen Wolf Desert Wolf

Teen Wolf's Marisol Nichols Talks Set Secrets, 'Awesome' Desert Wolf Reveal

Now that Teen Wolf has finally put a name to its mysterious Desert Wolf, Marisol Nichols is free to talk about her time on set — even if there’s not a whole lot to talk about yet.

“I was going to tweet on my first day of shooting, and they were like, ‘Absolutely not,'” Nichols tells TVLine. “Since then, I’ve had some time to get used to the phenomenon that is Teen Wolf, and I’m really excited to continue with it.

Read on for Nichols’ thoughts on the Desert Wolf, the list of Teen Wolf actors she’s excited to work with and what she was really expecting going into the show.

TVLINE | Part of that ‘phenomenon’ you mentioned is the fanbase. How have they been to you?
Insane, but also amazingly supportive, actually. I was a little scared because I started getting so many tweets after that first announcement — like, an insane outpouring from fans. So I thought, “Wow, people really love this show. … They’re going to hate me!” But they’ve been supportive: “I love you, but please don’t hurt Malia.”

TVLINE | As long as you’re not breaking up a major couple, I feel like you’re safe.
[Laughs] Well, I can’t imagine I’ll be doing that.

TVLINE | Going into this, how much did they tell you about your character?
Nothing. Nothing. I didn’t audition with the right sides, so I had no clue what I was doing. All of my audition lines were from someone named Kate, who I now know. … So I got the part and came to set for that first scene, and I was like, “Who am I, exactly?” So they explained it all to me about a half-hour before we started shooting. They were like, “You’re the mother of Malia and you’re half-coyote, half-werewolf.” (Like, OK, but what does that mean?) I probably watched about 10 episodes after that, just to know who everybody is.

TVLINE | And what’s your impression of the show now that you’ve seen a few episodes?
It’s a great show. The production value is amazing. It’s very respectful of the audience, and I’m happy to be a part of it. To be honest, I was a little worried. The last thing I remember on MTV was … What was the show where all the people lived together?

TVLINE | The Real World?
Yes! That was the last thing I watched on MTV, because I’m so old I remember when MTV first came out. So I didn’t know what to expect. But honestly, Jeff Davis? Mad respect for him.

TVLINE | It’s definitely not the kind of show you’d expect to see on MTV.
I respect shows that don’t underestimate their audience. Audiences are very, very smart, and [Davis] respects that audience. You can tell with the writing, it’s very respectful. These characters are way more developed than the surface existence I was worried about.

TVLINE | So, let’s talk about Day 1. How’d that go?
It was very cool when I got on set. But the guy I was supposed to be shooting with [Seth Gilliam] wasn’t there. Like, he just wasn’t there. They told me, “Yeah, we’ve already filmed his part.” That’s never happened in my 20 years of acting. They told me, “Point the gun and pretend he’s here,” but I didn’t even know who “he” was. All I knew was that I was there to kill my daughter, and that was f—ing awesome in the land of evil-ness. But I start shooting again next week so I’ll find out what she’s really about.

TVLINE | Are you in Monday’s finale?
No, I actually thought my episode was the season finale; we all thought that. But then it changed, so I start shooting again next week. I didn’t meet any of the other actors except for Tyler Posey, who couldn’t have been nicer.

TVLINE | Which actors are you especially hoping to work with?
I’d kill to work with J.R. Bourne, that’d be wonderful. Just give me fight scenes, mess up my face, give me some claws and I’d be in heaven. I’m also looking forward to having scenes with Shelley Hennig, because I think those scenes are going to be really interesting. I’m sure I’ll interact with Tyler, and probably Stiles, since he seems to be sort of a caretaker of Malia. … And I haven’t finished Season 4, but if it Kate’s not dead, how much fun would it be to have that kind of war going on? [Editor’s note: very fun.]

What are your hopes (and fears) for the Desert Wolf? And how do you think tonight’s finale will play out? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. nate says:

I figured she was a coyote but a wolf too? That’s cool a hybrid.

2. “I’m old enough to remember when MTV played music videos and not TV shows”. lol.

3. Mr. Tran K says:

Even though I’m a huge 24 fan, she had a great run as Nadia Yassar in Season 6.

4. Sam says:

STOKED to see her on Teen Wolf. I don’t think they could have cast a better actress for the Desert Wolf. I think she and Shelley are going to play great off of each other and I’m just bummed we have to wait so long to see her back again!

5. bryce says:

Spoiler alert: Seth Gilliam hates Marisol Nichols and refused to shoot with her. Production had to get creative with TV magic to make them appear like they were in the same scenes, but fans knew better. In the years to come, fans would grow distrustful of production and its star, Seth Gilliam. But how can you have Teen Wolf without the teen wolf’s veterinarian? You can replace the Teen Wolf (Posey out, Sprayberry in), but you could never take out the star veterinarian. Finally, by early 2018 tensions escalated beyond anyone’s control. Nichols said she wanted to leave, but the fans theorized wildly that she was pushed out by none other than diva Seth Gilliam himself. After years of the Desert Wolf passing by the veterinary clinic’s new glass-walled conference room but never entering or scenes of them talking on the phone but never in person, a final battle ensues between what has become the show’s most fervent rivalry. In the end, of course, Deaton overpowers the Desert Wolf, but she reaches a satisfying end. Or so it seems. Within hours fans take to the Internet with evidence that the scenes were in fact staged with stunt doubles and CGI. Outrage ensues: First fan favorite Stiles is unexpectedly shot last season in a courtroom with virtually no notice the fans, but now the fans discover that their satisfying conclusion to the shows most complex relationship was faked. Worse still, creator Jeff Davis refuses to admit that the stunt impacted the quality of production in any way. After years of controversy, Teen Wolf’s finale airs in 2020, featuring the triple wedding of Sheriff Stilinski and Mama McCall, Lydia and Jackson, and of course Argent and Isaac. In 2026, Lifetime authorizes the Unauthorized Teen Wolf Story, its 43rd iteration of the series, which focuses much of its time on the Gilliam/Nichols feud. The biggest revelation? Gilliam’s hatred of Nichols apparently started when she cut him off as she was driving onto set the very day that the interview above discusses.

• Asher says:

WHAT are you even talking about!??! He doesn’t hate her, he has never met her. If you recall he had legal troubles and couldn’t leave the state of GA so they had to shoot him separately. Stop with the lies and the gossip. You know NOTHING.

• A says:

Hey hi JM :)

• DL says:

Most of this is totally a spin on Julianna Margulies and Archie Panjabi (with a nod to Josh Charles tossed in as well). Not sure about the rest. Amusing read, though! 9/10. ;-)

• mark says:

it really pisses me off how scott got beat my his own beta any other alpha vs beta fights in previous seasons the alpha dominated usually holding the beeta with one hand and scoot is a TRUE alpha so far all iver gotten from it is that they are not as powerfull as normal alphas like why was duccalin so scared of him? lets finally see him shift ito something like tthe demon wolf we seen him astaring to chage in to somthing in season 4 episode 10 he he saved that lil girl from being shot just attacked that gguy in tctical gear thats the scott i wanna see like he can cross mouatin ash some how turn back to normal after being turnedinto a bezerker thye only fight hes won since hes been a alpha is peter and yet he can beat a 2-4 month onld beta on a supermmoon usre laim would be stronger but so would scott unles hes scared of what mght happn to him if he used the power but you think beign killed qoulda brough taht out in him i rant about this for days and tehy told barley anthign about the dread docotrs we dont kno why there in beacon hill whatthere end game is all we kno about them is they were scientist who worship the supernateral expernemt on teenagers

6. Penelope says:

Wait hold on. So the Desert Wolf is half coyote and half werewolf? Which, if Peter truly is Malia’s dad, would mean Malia is 75% werewolf and 25% coyote. So how come Malia was frolicking around in the woods as a full coyote when technically and gentically she’s more werewolf than coyote?

7. Pao says:

This article is a joke and an embarassement

8. Maddy says:

Kind of telling that she refers to Stiles as Malia’s caretaker and not her boyfriend.

• I don’t think it’s kind of telling. She hasn’t even finished watching s4 and hasn’t watched any other season. She simply doesn’t have a clue about any of the characters and their relationships. She obviously hasn’t seen an episode with Malia and Stiles kissing.

9. JM says:

Please let the Desert Wolf correct her past mistake and get rid of Malia for good.

10. Sarah says:

I’m with JM, please God the Desert Wolf kill Malia then bring back a REAL wolf AKA Derek Hale!