Katherine Heigl Doubt Pilot CBS

Katherine Heigl Cast in CBS Pilot Doubt, Replacing KaDee Strickland

Katherine Heigl‘s state of affairs has improved considerably.

The actress has been cast in CBS’ Doubt pilot in a role originally filled by KaDee Strickland (Private Practice), our sister site Variety reports.

The potential series centers on Sadie Ellis — played by Heigl — a female lawyer who becomes romantically involved with one of her clients (who may or may not be guilty of a brutal crime).

The project, from Joan Rater and Tony Phelan (Grey’s Anatomy)  didn’t get a series order during May upfronts but remained in contention at the network after a script rewrite and casting changes.

Teddy Sears starred opposite Strickland in the original pilot; his role also will be re-cast. Dreama Walker (Don’t Trust the B—- in Apartment 23), Laverne Cox (Orange Is the New Black), Dulé Hill (Psych), Elliott Gould (Ray Donovan) and Kobi Libii (Alpha House) remain part of the cast.

Heigl’s previous series, NBC’s State of Affairs, was cancelled in May. Working with Phelan and Rater marks a Grey’s reunion for the actress, who — after criticizing that series for not giving her “material to warrant” an Emmy nomination — famously exited the ABC medical drama in 2010.

1. Shaun says:

So,How to get away with murder?XD

2. Rob says:

I was actually really excited about this with KaDee Strickland and Laverne Cox…hopefully they kept Laverne and I might give this a try…not thrilled about Heigl, though.

• Rob says:

And it’s like, why would any writer want to work with an actor who called the writing for them bad? It seems rather insane.

• Maybe they didn’t write the deer story.

• dude says:

She never called the writing of any project she was in bad. Her exact quote was “Knocked up was a little sexist.” That’s not bad, she just said more work could have been done to make the women likeable. She was also asked once why she didn’t submit herself for an Emmy and said “I didn’t feel I was given the material to warrant it.” Which she wasn’t. That season, her highlight involved operating on a deer. That’s it and they both happened almost 10 years ago now so why are you guys still punishing her for them? Move on, lots of actors have dissed their projects since then yet she’s portrayed as the only actor in the history of Hollywood to have a negative thing to say about a project she was in. The hate that Katherine Heigl gets is proof that women have just as much work to do when it comes to sexism against their own gender, than men do.

• abz says:

Agreed. I really don’t get the constant hate for her. All these judgmental people acting like they haven’t made mistakes or said things in the past they wish they could take back or redo. Heigl made mistakes and had poor choice of words several years ago and repeatedly apologized for it and tried to just move on learn from it hopefully. I remember when Shonda was doing the musical episode she did for Grey’s and she talked about how much she loved it and had been wanting to do it for a while and wasn’t there a quote from Patrick Dempsey online saying how he thought the musical episode was a big mistake? Yet, he is still very beloved and gets no criticism at all. Another example, I heard Channing Tatum in an interview a few months ago bashing the G.I. Joe movie he did and some other projects I think. Any hate there? Some people just seem to have this irrational hatred for this woman. I think just enjoy it.

• Katie says:

Katherine has bad mouthed all most every project she has ever worked on. If it had been some sort of one off that she’d later apologized for, it’d be totally different, but it’s a continuous thing. It’s no surprise that a writer/director/producer might not want to work with someone that is notorious for talking crap about their projects.

• abz says:

Examples? The major ones I’m aware of are Grey’s Anatomy and Knocked Up. And I think it’s primarily Shonda Rhimes that’s holding a grudge and refusing to work with her. Heigl may not be having blockbuster success right now, but people still seem willing to work with her. She had her State of Affairs show and still doing some films. Even the guy for this show Tony Phelan it says was part of Grey’s Anatomy and he clearly seems fine working with her if he’s willing to cast her in the role.

• Rob says:

I hold Patrick Dempsey and Katherine Heigl up to the exact same standards. I think he was highly disrespectful to Shonda and, most importantly, the fans by what he pulled from this last season. He absolutely deserved to be run over by that Mack truck. The difference is that there is no empirical evidence that this has happened more than once. On Knocked Up, Grey’s, 27 Dresses, The Ugly Truth, and Killers, there have been numerous reports from costars, directors, producers, etc. that she was extremely difficult to work with. If the same can be said about Dempsey, I would be saying the exact same thing about him.

• Rob says:

First, she pulled her name out of the running for her work in Season 3, the deer happened in Season 4. Even if it was for that season, you don’t just pull yourself out and insult the writers otherwise they’ll give you more horrible storylines. Second, her issues with Knocked Up aren’t unwarranted but I have to say that she is the only person I’ve ever heard complain about working with Judd Apatow in any way but especially in an antifeminist way. Third, and most importantly, I am a huge feminist and I believe in complete and utter equality when it comes to the sexes. Sexism is a huge problem in our society and particularly in Hollywood. Women have an incredible burden to bear, mainly that they always need to be likable, that men don’t seem to face, which is a huge, huge problem. However, sexism goes both ways. I’m not going to let someone’s bad behavior slide just because she’s a woman either. I hold people, in general, to higher standards than publicly talking badly about colleagues. Truthfully, I look at her as a person who made a lot of mistakes when she thought she was really breaking out. It has nothing to do with her being a woman whatsoever and I really do hope that she had a big wake up call, changed her tune, and that this show ends up being a hit for her.

• shutuprob says:

Actually, she won for season 3 (the 2007 Emmys, covering the 2006-2007 season) and pulled her name out of the running for season 4 (2007-2008). Remember, Grey’s started out as a midseason replacement with a short, 9-episode run in the spring of 2005 (the tail end of the 2004-2005 season). Season 4 was, in fact, the season of Izzie and George having their affair, a writing choice on Rhimes’s part that was so bad, it had to be backstopped in season 5 by giving Izzie brain cancer that caused her to hallucinate Denny in the even *worse* Ghost Denny storyline that infected the first half of season 5.

• Tom says:

When I’m wrong, I’ll admit it. In this case I’m wrong and you’re right. She did pull out for season 4.

• Clandestine Green says:

I am glad someone took the time to set this straight. I don’t find that she said anything inappropriate. The storylines in the year she asked to not be submitted for emmy consideration were crappy….she was kinder about it. She has also been credited with saying some nasty things that I could find no evidence of. I like her. I wasn’t too disappointed in State of Affairs since that wasn’t very good but I hope she does find a good platform soon.

• Temperance says:

Knocked Up was appallingly sexist, as Apatow usually does. He’s really poor at female characters, and often devolves to the Madonna/whore tropes. The women *were* awful in Knocked Up, and pretty much everybody I know pretty much blew off the movie because 1) it was ridiculous that such schlumpy guys would have such attractive ladies, and 2) the female characters were so horrid. Heigl’s problem is that she’s smart and she tells the truth. She needs to work on her political skills, nothing else.

• ken says:

it’s all about the money…there are schedules, there are timelines. Don’t keep them and you lose money. Kate doesn’t have any skin in the game. I don’t think she gets it.

• murley says:

How refreshingly reasonable! I couldn’t agree more. I have actually always admired Heigl for her honesty and for the fact that she stood up for a friend who was being discriminated against. Was it the smartest move in terms of office politics so to speak? No but who cares. It was refreshing in a business that is so image conscious and false. There will always be people who get some weird pleasure out of hating on celebrities they don’t know. Sadly it is often women against other women. That is all this perpetuated criticism is.

• tvjunkie says:

Then how does Halley Berry get work? She called Catwoman bad. It really was bad, but if the criteria for hiring an actor includes having never badmouthed something the worked on then most actors would be disqualified.

• Ame says:

I’d actually have watched it with the original cast. With Katherine Heigl in her place? Not a chance.

3. Sabrina Christensen says:

This is great but I still think that State of Affairs shouldn’t have been canceled!

4. dude says:

I personally like Katherine Heigl much more than Kadee Strickland and I’m now very excited for this. Don’t care what she said about Knocked Up and Grey’s Anatomy several years ago, she’s a good actress. Besides, if people can forgive Chris Brown for physical abuse, they can forgive Katherine Heigl for committing the crime of being a woman who has negative opinions sometimes. I do hope they keep Laverne Cox on board though.

• Sara says:

I’ve only seen Kadee on Secrets & Lies. I don’t know if it was the character she was portraying, but I thought her acting was horrible

• O'yaya says:

@dude, Amen, I completely agree with you.

• abz says:

Agreed. All these people bashing Heigl acting as if they’re perfect little angels who never say a word out of line or regret something they’ve said in the past without thinking is ridiculous. Mistakes are supposed to be learned from. She clearly saw the impact this had on her career and she’d be an idiot not to have learned from it. I personally think she’s still a great actress and was a major contributor to the early magic of Grey’s Anatomy. Still enjoy watching her.

• Dennis says:

excellent points!!!

5. damroberts744 says:

I think Katharine Heigl is actually a very good actress. She just needs to calm down.

• Brooke says:

She has calmed down, several years ago. She hasn’t said anything negative since the late 2000s.

• Temperance says:

And even then, she was a smart lady that told the truth. America doesn’t like women that are either, so she had to improve her political skills when speaking in public.

• Paula Lyth says:

Hmm Shonda – seems the only person from Grey’s who has a problem with Heigl is you. Your exec producers and former head of the writers panel are more than happy to be working with her again it seems…. Go figure.

• Jamie says:

Doesn’t matter – Shonda’s the boss, so if she doesn’t want her there, then that’s all that really matters. One of the perks of being in charge.

• dude says:

And it’s that attitude that’s run Grey’s into the ground. All of the great actors she’s killed off and disposed of because she dared to cross her. Izzie, Derek, Mark, Lexie and George are all infinitely better characters than the crop of newbies she’s replaced them with and have only contributed to why Grey’s has become so unwatchable. Shonda’s biggest problem is she never puts the show first, her pride always matters more.

• dman6015 says:

Funny, but a LOT of people on multiple show don’t seem to have a problem with their boss.

6. Mariana Trench says:

This is ironic. Heigl used to be engaged to her Roswell co-star Jason Behr. Kadee Strickland is now married to Jason Behr. Rumors are that he dumped Heigl for Kadee. Hollywood is so incestuous.

7. Jared says:

The supporting cast seems great but I just can’t take Katherine Heigl seriously.

8. Georgia says:

Great news! Her series State of Affairs was excellent and should NOT have been cancelled. I hope this one makes it! She was right about Grey’s — her character had a lame storyline and I sure understand why she walked. Sad that her career has suffered because of it.

9. Keri says:

I’ll be watching. She was great in State of Affairs. TVLine – will be you writing “famously left with a year left on his contract” in every article about Patrick Dempsey projects for the next 10 years? How about giving it a rest?

10. N says:

I love KaDee & Katie, so I’m happy!

11. doris says:

I loved State of Affairs don’t understand why NBC cancelled it. These networks just do not give good shows much of a chance. If new series aren’t cookie cutter it’s gone! I am happy for her! Just hoping CBS gives it go!

12. Jess says:

Good for her. Might keep an eye on those one and check it out when it shows up on TV.

13. Normandy says:

As bad as people think Heigl is on set, her momager is even worse.

14. Dennis says:

YAY!!!! SO HAPPY FOR HER!!!!!! LOVE HER!!!!! As much as I miss her on Grey’s and am bothered/dislike/upset about what had transpired….. she IS a really terrific actress and I only wish her the best, and can’t wait for her return (again) to TV

15. Riana says:

Taking her clothes off won’t make people like her

16. Mr. Tran K says:

CBS is in big trouble now that they got Katherine Heigl taking over Kadee Strickland’s role in Doubt.

17. Marcy Foote says:

Canceling watching. Why do they keep giving her shows? She needs to stick to rom coms

18. Countdown to horrible reviews and cancellation talks.

19. carrionne says:

NOT material to warrant an emmy? Does she mean BESIDES the cancer, the affair, the dead fiancé and the new marriage?

• Temperance says:

Actually, what she said was that her felamle colleagues has such asome material and did such an awesome job, that she declined the Emmy nomination (because we all know how ridiculous the Emmys are about nominating the same people forever, even if they sucked that year) she thought that it might have a friend a chance. Intelligent, honest, considerate, and loyal to her friends got twisted (probably deliberate) by the e-press (for ratings). *shrugs* It got clicks, right?

20. william says:

maybe she’s hard to get along with but i’ve liked everything i’ve seen her in. i think she’s a great actress and worth watching in whatever role she plays. good luck ms. heigl.

21. V. says:

Noooooooooooo. KaDee is such a great underrated talent, Katherine is so bad. Worst recasting ever. Was really looking foward to this series, now not so much.

22. MyExBFF says:

Geesh. Who does she have photos of for people to keep casting her, despite failure after failure? Give another, more talented actress a chance.

• Dean says:

I find it funny she trys out for roles as important figures that in its self should say something. She wasn’t convincing as a surgeon or as a CIA agent I doubt she will be as a public defender.

• Temperance says:

She *was* convincing in SoA. The show was pretty grim, and I’m not sure that people were that thrilled with that kind of story at that depth. Tea Leoni had better luck with Madame Secretary, which is a far less interesting show, but the lead character is more admirable, the show is far, far less dark, and the lead gets to have a much broader emotional life.

23. Sammy says:

I am a Hiegl fan but I am supremely pissed that they replaced Kadeem Kadee would have been perfect in that role! They should have re cast teddy sears because he doesnt have chemistry with anyone! bad move. This wont last long unless they are making it for summer release.

24. dman6015 says:

Well, I Doubt this one is going to last (pun fully intended).

25. Keith says:

Hopefully her mother won’t be involved in the Pilot.

26. Angus says:

Another ####ing lawyer show. Jeezus christmas. Send her over the the CW maybe they can do something with her.

27. Karen Douds says:

Gotta give Katherine Heigl credit, just the mention of her name can stir up more comments (for and against) than I’ve ever seen on here! I hope she finds a show that works for her, something that people will talk about instead of bringing up what she said or did several years ago. Maybe this will be the one.

28. Nancy Reck says:

Too bad…I miss KaDee since Private Practice went off. She’s a far more interesting actress than Heigl (well, almost ANYONE would be!) and probably easier to work with.

29. JIM rutherford says:

heigel is a good choice, shes a real cutie pie as well as a talented actress I loved her in One for the Money

30. Leanne says:

looks like an ego going on error. I liked Kadee but like Katherine as well, just hope her ego doesn’t get in the way AGAIN

31. Now they need to cast Chris McKenna opposite her!! They were HOT on SOA’s!!!!

32. Leea says:

I haven’t seen anyone mention the little tidbit that KaDee Strickland is married to Jason Behr, who starred with Katherine Heigll on Roswell…as well as being her boyfriend for several years. Small world.

33. If Heigl is in it the show is doomed to failure! She can’t act one iota!!

34. tsevca says:

I wouldn´t watch with Strickland, I will with Heigl, but it still won´t get renewed. Shows like this never do. The better they do it, the smaller chance it has.