Fall TV Preview
The Blacklist Season 3

The Blacklist Season 3: Our Hopes for Liz, Red and the Fractured Task Force

By the time credits rolled on The Blacklist‘s Season 2 finale last May, everything we thought we knew about the NBC drama had been blown apart.

Liz, having murdered Attorney General Tom Connolly, landed herself on the FBI’s Most Wanted list and began the life of a fugitive with Red by her side (and her former FBI colleagues on her tail).

Meanwhile, news of The Cabal’s existence was leaked to the press, and good ol’ Tom Keen… well, we’re not exactly sure what he went off to do.

What we do know is The Blacklist has a (somewhat) clean slate heading into Season 3, now that its very protagonist is on the run from the law —  and, ahead of the series’ Oct. 1 return (9/8c), we have a few suggestions for the show’s third go-round.

Scroll through our gallery below (or click here for direct access) to see our Season 3 hopes for Liz, Red, Tom and the rest of the gang, then hit the comments with your own wish list.

1. Mr. Tran K says:

Can’t wait until October 1st for the new season. Last season blew me away and with Liz Keen now on the FBI’s most wanted list and going rogue, it doesn’t bode well for the task force not even Ressler who’s still a fan fave in my opinion as well as Aram.

• in my opinion i believe RED is a perfect orator who the FBI needs to get in their side in-order to track those criminal that they know not. for Liz and the task force i think she need not to run since she has fact to the effect of tom Connolly. i have been waiting for the out of season3. and or me the blacklist is the best show i have seen.
      thanks.

• Lizo says:

Ressler is a fan fave? He’s literally the character I care least about on the show. He’s decent enough, but I don’t have the desire for ‘more Ressler’

• Jules says:

I have to agree.. like the list pointed out, the show has done nothing special with Ressler’s character to warrant rooting for. The show spends alot of time developing just Liz, Tom & Red (not complaining tho)

• pixieballs says:

I’m with you here. I don’t dislike him, but fail to give a damn about him. Which is ridiculous considering he has almost as much screen time as Liz Keen and Red.

There are characters that sometimes piss me off but I’m able to connect with them (Liz, Cooper, Red), characters I love but hate the way they are written (Tom Keen, Samar, Dembe), characters I’m not particularly attached to but their presence makes a scene better (Mr Kaplan, Aram), characters I love to hate (Connolly, Berlin). But Ressler is the guy who’s just there.
        But I know Donald (or should I say Diego?) has his fans that cheer for him having more of a role next season. Well, if the writers manage to make it interesting, it’s win for everyone.

• Ali says:

Ressler is the reason I enjoy the show. I want to know more about him and loved him in S1 and S2 and we didn’t really know that much about him. I hope S3 will delve into his inner psyche and we’ll get to see what he’s all about. I hope we’ll see him go over the the Red/Liz side and work with them again and not against them.

• Kat says:

I got more and more interested in him as the show went on. Especially now that apparently everyone’s motivations and morals on the show is gray, at best, it’s interesting to have someone like Ressler as a contrast.

2. LADY_in_MD says:

I agree with everything on this list
    Especially diving into the lives of the misfits Aram and Ressler hopefully will get bigger roles now that they are hunting Liz
    Can’t wait for season 3 to start!

3. Susannah says:

I’d like to know more about Red and Liz’s connection too. He’s obviously known her since she was a child and watched her grow up from a distance and helped her along the way. Why? Why was “Lizzie” the last word out of Red’s mouth before he was going to be killed? Why does he have such strong,protective instincts toward her? I hope they give some clues as to why Red cares so much for her, I’m not a huge Liz fan so it baffles me.

4. Jules says:

List is spot on..esp about revealing the connection between Red & Liz. They need to learn from other shows (The Mentalist) that have dragged storylines for seasons that when the reveal finally comes, it’s never as satisfying as they intended.

• johnhelvete says:

The Mentalist is a good example. The season 3 finale with Bradley Whitford as “Red John” would have been a more satisfying conclusion to the Red John story line compared to the way the writers ended it 2 and half seasons later.

• Lizo says:

I’m torn, because the Bradley Whitford ending on The a Mentalist was perfection, just a stellar bunch of episodes. But the final Red John stuff, the way Jane killed him and the hunt itself…I found it all very evocative and exciting. So I really liked both endings.

• Patrick says:

Not jus the Mentalist, but Lost and a host of other shows. The ending cannot, will not, live up to expectations. No matter how good it is, some people will be disappointed. Accept that the big reveal will underwhelm, get it over with, and move on.

• Jules says:

I don’t watch PLL but judging from social media it also seems the mystery that surrounded the series for 4+ seasons was a major let down when it was finally revealed…major plots like these should never be dragged on for longer than 2 seasons.

• Lillian says:

underwhelm, I love that, so clever. you hit it on the nose my friend.

5. Shannon says:

The reason there’s been no big bad over the two seasons is because Reddington’s been there as one from the beginning.

6. meatwad says:

don’t know what it was about that scene, but I got super excited watching Red share the news about the cabal to a room full of the best investigative reporters on the planet

7. Lizo says:

Yup to this whole list. I’m quite excited to see Liz and Red on the run together. I want to watch her experience life as a criminal, discover she has it in her to be Red’s successor and just have tons of bonding time between them.
    Also, more of Dembe! I want to know more about him, Aram and Samar

8. Rob says:

More Ressler.

9. dman6015 says:

Just wish it was sooner than Oct. 1st!

10. Luis says:

The villains have always been the Maguffin in this show – the vehicle used as an excuse for “The James Spader Show,” which is really what the title of the show should be. Spader is the only reason to keep tuning in, and I do; he commands the screen whenever he is on and when he is not, I keep waiting for him to come back. I have grown tired of all the mystery surrounding Keen’s connection to Red and I hope the writers will pull the curtain back quickly. If Red isn’t her father, I’d like to know who is. While I like most of the agents on the FBI team, I think this season could be very enjoyable without Liz hooking back up with them any time soon; Having her as a fugitive with Red would create an interesting new dynamic. I look forward to seeing where Tom fits in all this – I have enjoyed Ryan Eggold’s enigmatic performance and I have to admit I am kind of rooting for Tom and Liz.

11. Jean Alica says:

I know why Liz did what she did. Conelly was going to hurt everyone she cared about. I do not want her to end up running Reddington’s empire. I think Liz will find she friends in that fractured FBI team. Ressler is going to have to loosen up and stop being such a boy scout if he is ever going to stand a chance with that lady. I agree that Reds scene with the reporters was amazing more of Reddington’s tales please. All the team know is what Liz did and Red will try to get her out. I can take or leave Tom but I understand his part in all of this. I do like Aram ,Sumar and Dembe. I do not want to know the connection between Red and Liz just yet it is enough for me that he has always been a father figure to that girl and he will do what he can to protect her. I did rather like Red with his planes and boats and trains. I like the darker shows but those aspects did sometimes give them an amusing lift when it was needed. I agree with Alpha.

12. After suffering through most of season one, my only wish would be for cancellation. Free up that hour for a better series, like the Ioan Gruffeld one that was cancelled last year.

13. LaLa says:

I agree with each of the article’s points, but as an addition, can we please have the team gain some competence this year? They’re supposed to be a super secret team of slick FBI agents, but instead seem to me to be a bunch of bumbling half-agents who can’t reason their way out of a paper bag without Red’s genius wit there to guide them to the correct answer. Each and every episode. It’s annoying.

• Kat says:

I think the writers are to blame for that. It’s lazy writing. They want to highlight Red’s competence and intelligence, but they do that by making everyone else stupid instead of making him just smarter. It’s annoying at times. Like you said, this team is supposed to be the best, but somehow they act like a bumbling group of idiots when it’s convenient in order for Red to shine.

14. My husband and I are addicted to this show. One of the best, if not “THE BEST” ever. I hope they do not change the dynamics too much (which it sounds like they are going to do). Don’t fix it if it’s not broken. Also, please DO NOT have Liz and Red romantically involved in any way, that would be just down right a mistake. If anything, they love each other as a father and a daughter would. Please don’t go creeping us out with any romantic involvement. I beg you to get the FBI wanted listed situation with Liz taken care of and get the team back to catching all the bad guys. I would hate to lose interest at this point because the show is getting off track. I love all the characters and can’t wait each week for a new episode.

• Jean Alica says:

Most of us do not like change. I really loved season one but the Lizzington group spoiled that with you tube video’s . I expect Reddington character to evolve but in season one I had much more sympathy for him because I thought someone had murdered his family. James Spaders performance can always move me as in Braxton one and two and countless episodes but in season one everything was new. Red and Liz are my favorites. I don’t really want Liz and Tom to be the “Castle” of the Blacklist. I see Tom going in a whole different direction but I won’t say what I think that is yet. Liz might be a consultant for the secret task force unless Conelly is not dead? Nancy I know how you feel because I felt the same when “Lord Boltermore ” happened. For the moment except Liz and Red on the run. It might be more interesting than you think.

15. LC says:

My biggest hope is that Megan Boone learns to act. It must be painful for James Spader acting alongside her.

16. Doreen says:

I agree with Luis -I find myself pulling for Tom/Jacob and Liz to make their relationship work, maybe with Red as their mentor…was losing interest in the show until Tom & Liz got back together … their dynamic makes the show more interesting than the usual cops and guns stuff

17. the blacklist simply the best.

18. Joline says:

Waiting to see what happens with Tom Keen – he has gone thru such a transformation. Need some romance with all the darkness in the show.

19. Isabel says:

I agree with most of the comments here. I hope we learn more about Aram and Samar. Unless Ressler is actually trying to help Liz and Red to escape, rather than trying to capture them, then I don’t really care what happens to him anymore. I also hope the writers don’t make the mistake of having Red and Liz romantically involved. All in all, I can’t wait for season 3 so that we can see Red and Liz’s story evolve, IT’S GOING TO BE AWESOME!!

20. Jean Alica says:

I like some pictures of the new Liz and Red and the where they are working in Queens. What I do not like are the comments made by some men in particular when they seem to enjoy tearing a woman apart because they decided way back when that they did not like a female actor. As if they are an expert in how someone should look because they prefer an anorexic blond with a top heavy bust. On this site for the most part we concern ourselves with the show and it’s characters and are not as cruel to that funny sensitive girl who is turning into a fine actress and like Lizzie gets on very well with her mentor. Those picture are in the mail online and I have real problems getting into and American Facebook promise this is my last word on this subject.