Fall TV Preview
NBC The Player Recast

NBC's The Player Adds Daisy Betts in Recast of Ex-Wife

NBC’s The Player is shuffling the deck a bit, adding Daisy Betts (The Last Resort) in the role of Philip Winchester’s on-screen ex.

Cara Buono (Mad Men, Person of Interest) played the role, quite effectively, in the pilot.

Per our sister site Deadline, Betts’ role is described as recurring, which is interesting since Ginny — and this is no spoiler — is murdered early on, sending ex-husband Alex on a vengeful warpath that promptly introduces him to the enigmatic Mr. Johnson, played by Wesley Snipes.

Afterward, Alex is recruited to serve as “The Player” in a “game” run by Mr. Johnson, where he is tasked to stop crimes before they happen whilst the world’s wealthiest wager on the outcomes.

Betts’ previous TV credits also include Chicago Fire, Persons Unknown and Syfy’s upcoming Childhood’s End.

The Player premieres Thursday, Sept. 24 at 10/9c.

1. Wordsmith says:

I’m a big fan of Cara Buono, so it’s sad to hear that she is exiting, but I’ve liked Daisy Betts in Last Resort and Chicago Fire, so it’ll be fun to see her pop up again

2. gris says:

Stop crime before it happens…sounds familiar

3. Mr. Tran K says:

I enjoy Cara Buono when she was on Mad Men but I’m so sad she got replaced by Daisy Betts who had a great run on Chicago Fire back then. Can’t wait to see her back on prime time TV and looking forward to the September 24th premiere. Hope The Player should give a big boost for a Blacklist (new season begins October 1st) lead-in.

4. m3rcnate says:

I guarantee this show will get cancelled fast.

• crog says:

Unfortunately you’re probably right. NBC just is so unlucky on Thursdays. I really liked allegiance. I was so glad they added each episode online each week. It really sucks that the blacklist has dropped so much on Thursday. I’ll still watch the player since it looks really good but I’m expecting the cancelation just cuz its on NBC and on Thursday so people will automatically not watch it.

• Mr. Tran K says:

I wouldn’t ruled out if The Player is going to end up as one of the new shows this season to get canceled first and it should get mixed reviews from critics. NBC hopes to revamp its Thursday night line-up and you guys can stop complaining all you want ’cause I always hate complainers.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Nah.

• m3rcnate says:

Lol, unless you have seen it and loved it, it looks AWFUL. The CGI looks bad, the plot looks bad, i am not interested in W-Snipes at all and i don’t think many people are (aka not a draw). I love the lead (Strike Back) but it just looks BAD.
        So, “Yah”…it will get cancelled.

5. Mr. Tran K says:

The Player is like a throwback to ’80s action series from Miami Vice to Knight Rider to The A-Team and I don’t know what people think about the series whether it’s the casting or the premise of the show. I think it’s the casting that includes Wesley Snipes and Philip Winchester of Strike Back and his co-star Sullivan Stapleton is in another NBC series in Blindspot. It’s going to be tough in the 10 pm Thursday night time slot along with HTGAWM and Elementary (after football) this Fall but I’m really worried if it doesn’t get past the first season.

6. bj says:

Love Daisy. She’ll be a plus on the show for me.