Fall TV Preview
Chicago Fire Season 4 Spoilers

Chicago Fire Boss: Baby Reveal Leads to a 'Galvanized' Dawson/Casey

Dawson’s unexpected pregnancy on Chicago Fire might just be the silver lining Casey needs after his harrowing kidnapping.

Needless to say, the firefighter will make it out of that situation alive when the NBC drama returns for Season 4 on Oct. 13. But there won’t be much rejoicing as he tries to cope with the aftermath.

Casey has to deal with “what he had to do to survive that ordeal, which would haunt a lot of people,” executive producer Matt Olmstead tells TVLine. “He had to punch his way out.”

To add to the traumatized lieutenant’s plate, P.D.‘s Antonio will have to deliver the news that “the case isn’t going to go forward because the feds are involved [and] there’s complications, which sends Casey through the roof,” Olmstead previews. Now the firefighter is thinking, “‘Not only did I see a girl get shot in front of me — she was trying to do the right thing like I was to bring these guys down — now you’re telling me that she, basically, is going to die in vain and this whole trafficking operation is going to go. I’m not going to let that happen.'”

The EP adds: “Voight advises him not to do what he thinks he’s going to do, and Casey is hellbent.”

Meanwhile, Dawson is waiting for the right time to tell her ex-boyfriend that she’s expecting. Given everything that’s going on, it’s not surprising that finding that perfect moment proves difficult. But once the beans are finally spilled, “She — and the news she brings to him — is what really helps pull him out of the quagmire that he’s been in,” Olmstead reveals.

Casey seizes the announcement of his impending fatherhood “wholeheartedly, because it helps make him stay away from what he went through,” the EP shares, adding that the pregnancy also reunites the former couple.

But despite her ex being 100 percent in, Dawson still has her doubts about their relationship. “There’s definite ramifications in terms of her wanting to know, ‘You’re doing it for the right reasons, wanting to be back with me? Because we weren’t even a couple when this happened,'” Olmstead says. “It just becomes like, ‘OK, you got what you wanted. Now what?’ Reality sets in. So it gives them some nice twists and turns as a couple. But they’re galvanized as a couple, certainly, in the first part of the season.”

Stay tuned to TVLine for more Chicago Fire scoop!

1. m3rcnate says:

Lol jeez, that was basically the entire episode was it not? What’s the point of the season finale tension and excitement waiting for the first episode when you can read the entire synopsis (and within the first paragraph read “of course the character in peril in the finale lives) on here.
    Anyways, idk how i feel about Casey and Dawson being back together because she’s pregnant…i feel like she has a LOT of maturing/growing up to do, she has been quite the immature and short sighted character, and hopping from one guys bed to another and more.
    I honestly think the only reason i am a fan of the character is because of the actress who plays her is so cool and insanely attractive.

• I couldn’t disagree with you more. If anything, Dawson has been the more mature one. While Casey was being written very OOC last season. He was acting like a spoiled child and gained a lot of haters because of his behavior.
      Do you even watch the show? Cause I’m pretty sure Casey slept with as much women. One thing is sure, she wasn’t the one screwing somebody else around last season. She stayed pretty faithful even though she was the one who ended the relationship.

I’m so over Dawson’s haters. Most of them are frustrated women, who thinks Casey is real and are acting like he is their husband. Get a life already! You have zero arguments, you are making yourself look ridiculous most of the time and people actually mock you guys.

• m3rcnate says:

I never said Casey was perfect, or written well last season or that he didn’t mess up to and act immature. But that doesn’t take away from how Dawson was. She has always been childish, pining after a guy who is engaged (and her boss which is against the rules), then when she thinks he isn’t into her she starts banging basically a 19 year old greenhorn (which im pretty sure was against the rules), then when she finds out she has a shot with Casey again she basically ends things and tries to get with Casey again.
        And now, well she puts her career first, she crosses a line with her ex (yeah they weren’t sleeping together but she was letting him kiss her and putting her hand on his, emotional cheating is a real thing) she acts immature a lot, she ends things and “wants him to chase after me, he didn’t come after me so he must not care” middle-school BS…she isn’t mature, she doesn’t make good decisions…
        The reason Casey has apologists is because he has a few seasons under his belt of being a great guy, of being mature, of being smart, of being romantic and wanting to be married and have kids…yes last season the writers decided to have him go off the deep end, but that doesn’t compare to Dawson being immature and middle-schoolish since the pilot and has been consistently throughout.

• Dani says:

Sometimes Dawson has been a little selfish and short-sighted, but she’s growing and it shows. She’s a great character too, just not a saint but still better than most. So, she had a crush on Casey. No one can help who they are attracted to and feel a connection with, but the important thing is that she was adult enough to keep those feelings in check. She never stepped over the line with him and was prepared for it to just be friendship.

They both had issues with balancing the work vs. home and equal (at home) vs. boss/employee (at work) thing. I think they were realistic about it and handled it well. She never tried to get special treatment or use her relationship with Casey to manipulate things in her favor, which is what a childish person would have done. In 4 years, I think she’s slep with 3 guys, and Casey’s done at least that many women, but the sleaze of picking up a woman at a bar (who could have had diseases) and sleeping with her only to find out she’s your bosses wife? Yeah, Casey was off last season and I hope he gets back to his normal self this time around. I’m glad they are having a baby, and I do hope this will be the stabilizing thing for them because they seem meant for each other.

2. Bwhit says:

Thanks for the preview! I’ve been hoping for a little insight into what Casey had gone through after Gabby found that girl in his apartment. I can’t wait for season four.

3. wrstlgirl says:

So over Casey and Dawson. The writers have ruined both characters with all of this stupid back and forth, angst and doubt. I’m in it for all the others on the show and hope that they get equal story time.

• don’t worry, they have so much fans that love them that you being over them doesn’t change a thing ;) They are the IT couple after all.

• wrstlgirl says:

Hahahaha, so you’re one of those people who trash other people because they don’t agree with you. Well trust me when I tell you that I’m far from a frustrated women and by no means do I think that Casey is my husband, LOL.

• bj says:

lol Well-said, wrstlgirl. I’m also over them. They’re turning the show into a soap opera. I’d like them to get back to the fire dept. drama and action.

• Dani says:

I’m not sick of them and the show does give the cast fair shares of time for the most part. That’s one of the great things about this show. What I’m over is people whining because Dawson or Dawsey got 3 minutes of screen time in a 42 minute episode. Just get on with that. Everything they get accused of Severide has done twice over, but oh he had abs and drives a hot rod so it must be okay. Not saying you think that but some do. The point is, everyone can be “over” characters that aren’t their favorites, but that doesn’t mean those characters aren’t still very popular and that their stories deserve to be told too.

And I like all of the characters, all of them. So, no shade at all to anyone.

4. Hmm. says:

On the one hand, I am glad Casey is going to be a father. On the other hand, I do not think he and Dawson should be getting back together. It was clear to her that staying at 51 was more important to her than their relationship and asked him to put things on hold until after she her candidacy was over. I’m glad that she is pursuing her dreams and it’s fantastic that she’s standing up for herself, but their relationship has huge hurdles and it’s not fair to either to throw themselves into something that was damaged before.

5. James D says:

Wow I guess I’m in the minority here. I really want to see them back together. granted I’m new to the show and only started watching it this summer. I think both have parts to play (maybe Dawson slightly more) but to me both Jesse and Monica have such great chemistry I can’t help but root for their characters. I understand both sides though. Plus I’m so freaking sick of watching tv shows where two characters have a kid but aren’t really together it has become trite and frankly very depressing. just once on a prime-time series i would like for a couple to get together and stay together. I mean it’s not like the drama vanishes when you’re in a committed relationship. I also was flabbergasted with how they handled season 3 why wouldn’t Dawson just switch shifts that way she stays at 51 but isn’t under Casey’s command. again I’m new to the show so I might of missed something. any way I’m so glad i started watching it is for the most part a fantastically written show with strong characters. P.S. we get the beautiful and talented Rachel Nichols this year can’t wait for that story arc.

• Nancy says:

It always drove me crazy that she just didn’t switch shifts, but I guess that’s TV!

• Bwhit says:

I have been a fan from the beginning and you verbalized exactly how I feel about Dawson and Casey. Overall I like them together and think they should end up together. Sure there have been bumpy parts and I agree Dawson has not always been the most mature but even when they were at their worst I’ve wanted them to work it out. I also get tired of slow burn couples getting together than breaking up and getting together again. I get annoyed with characters but I try not to write them off and say I can’t stand them because they do something that was not where I wanted the story to go. So glad you decided to watch because this show is awesome and the cast chemistry can’t be beat!!!

• James D says:

@Nancy Thank God I’m not the only one :) i thought i was crazy for a second. @ Bwhit really well said and I totally agree I hate to write off characters too I guess it just comes from frustration because I’m like “here we go again” by and large the couples in question always end up together so the middle stuff is just to generate extra drama I just don’t think that stuff is necessary have a tv couple with a healthy relationship doesn’t end the drama at all IMO nor does it make the show in question boring life is dramatic enough so I guess I get frustrated when i see another on again off again thing because its so over done nowadays, but you are right we shouldn’t write off a show just because its frustrating. I’m glad i started watching to sort of ashamed I haven’t from the start, because it is top notch television for sure.

• HeatherC says:

Glad you started watching the show! I adore Casey & Dawson (have since the pilot) and I can’t wait to see them together this season. I recommend going back and watching S1 & 2 at some point though because there’s some great Dawsey moments in those eps and just a lot of great stories overall that you’re missing out on! This show is definitely about more than just one couple and I love it all. Definitely can’t wait to see what’s next for Dawsey (and their baby!) and I’m also really excited about the other stories coming up for everyone else too. It sounds like S4 is going to be great! =)

• Hamida says:

You’re definitely not the minority! I agree 100% with what you said. Unfortunately every time there’s an article abt Dawson and/or Dawson & Casey there’s always a bunch of negative comments so it’s nice to read a positive & interesting opinion for a change. I started CF when it was mid S3 & I thought how could I miss this fantastic show! It’s my fav now. Jesse & Monica work so well together & have great chemistry so I didn’t like seeing their characters tear each other apart. I obviously want to see them back together & the pregnancy is a great storyline it will make their relationship stronger hopefully. I’m sure S4 will be great & not just for Dawson & Casey. Rachel Nichols = best casting news

• Dani says:

@James “just once on a prime-time series i would like for a couple to get together and stay together.” THANK YOU!

6. Cassie says:

I think Casey is going to be a great dad and I’m excited to see his reaction to Dawson’s news. He has wanted kids since season one and was great with the Darden boys. It was so sad when he had to say goodbye to them.

7. Nancy says:

I can’t wait for this! I’m so excited to see them back together and to see how a child brings to the mix!

8. Cas says:

I love them!!

9. Isabella Ogbolumani says:

Is that picture from season 4 or a previous season?

• HeatherC says:

That photo is from S3 and it’s the episode where we first met Severide’s wife Brittany and she moved into Dawsey’s apartment while she was married to Sev.

10. Darky says:

I think it’s high time to rename this show into Supergabby and let MR’s fangirls gush and squeal about how awesome and stunning and beautiful she is. Because EVERYTHING on this show has to be about Dawson. The writers even killed off the fan favorite Shay to give Dawson more spotlight and show how the poor girl suffers….
    From the spoiler above I assume that Casey had to kill someone to get out the dungeon Nesbitt goons kept him in. So he will return to 51 as a tortured soul and it could be a great story arc to show him go through this emotional mess, dealing with his guilt, anger, etc…with the full support of his team of course…But no! This SL will be resolved by the end of the season premiere ‘cos who cares that the main character just endured hell? We have a pregnant ex-girlfriend! Can you imagine hormonal Gabby?! Of course Casey will have to spend entire season proving that he loves her and not just their baby… Everybody knows that Matt will be a great father but, obviously, raising a kid in a loving environment isn’t good a reason for Gabby to get back together. Casey should tell her 24/7 that he is there for her. Isn’t it totally selfish on her part? And since when she has become so insecure as a woman?

• mooshki says:

Pretty much why I stopped watching.

• Bwhit says:

Monica Raymund’s fan girls? That’s a bit harsh. I may not always agree with what Dawson does but throughout it all, Monica has been fantastic in her portrayal of Gabby. I feel like people who strongly dislike the Dawson/Casey dynamic will find fault with this no matter what happens. If she doesn’t tell him she is selfish and he deserves to know. If she tells him, she is still selfish. She can’t win. I for one can’t wait to see these two take this on, but that’s the beauty in debate and opinions :)As for Shay I believe you are dead wrong because Monica and Lauren are best friends and I think that was a the writer’s choice and nothing to do with the actors. Shay’s death torn the house apart and as much as I miss her, watching Severide navigate her death has been a compelling storyline.

11. guest says:

For gods sake… Why are still people are talking about who Casey and Dawson slept with before getting together and after break-up? They are two adults and dont need excuses for what they did. They both made mistakes and accepted it ( the restorant scene). JUST MOVE ON! I am so glad the Dawson and Casey in the show are not acting like their fans. Blaming one of them while defending the other doesnt make your argument more rightful but ruins the Dawsey fandom… at least for me. Anyway season 4 looks good!

12. Lena says:

I’m in two minds; one is happy for Casey and Dawson (although, surprised all of this has been revealed before the season premiere, this is basically their entire s4 relationship in one chat), as I’ve always enjoyed their relationship.

But the other is much more strongly disappointed, that after seasons of side lining the female characters, refusing to let just one female fire-fighter succeed in comparison to all the male ones, the leading lady is now going to spend all season being pregnant. Her storylines are going to revolve around Casey, having a baby, and trying to stay safe whilst pregnant. Don’t get me wrong, exciting about the baby, sure. But, so gutted that we’re once again deprived of a kickass female fire-fighter in the field.

I suppose I should feel grateful they haven’t gotten so bored with “trying” to write interesting storylines for Gabby that they haven’t iced her like Jones or Shay. Seems strange to say “at least she’s still alive” but in the Chicago Fire/Chicago PD world, that’s really how it is with the writers.

13. CHARLENE says:

PERSONALLY, I THINK CASEY & DAWSON ARE A BORING COUPLE…I’D LIKE TO SEE CASEY WITH MORE OF A FUN LOVING, UPBEAT PERSONALITY.

14. mooshki says:

This article seriously needed to be behind a “spoiler” tag.

15. Miranda says:

This may be an unpopular opinion but I cannot stand Dawson with Casey. They were cute in that will-they-won’t they dynamic in the first season but something happened to Dawson after she and Casey got together and she became petty and frustrating and just plain unlikable. Them breaking up because Casey finally saw her true colors seemed the right way to handle things. The sad thing was that Dawson’s escalating awfulness made me miss Shay even more.
    And then of course, the writers took their soapy emotional cues from Greys Anatomy and contrived this hook-up for this pregnancy to force them back together. I can never buy them as a couple again. Why make her pregnant when her whole arc last year was about her ambition to be a good firefighter. Now she’s being ‘relegated’ in a way to the role of the hapless female again because her body has betrayed her with this baby. Is this their way of resolving things? Making her pregnant so that she’d give up on being a fire fighter?
    After a pretty good season of CF that improved greatly on season 2 I am SO frustrated that the writers would be so unimaginative to bring yet another complicated pregnancy plot to the show. It’s both a disservice to Dawson and a really lame way to attempt to redeem her by making her ‘softer’.

16. i would say that Casey and Dawson make a great couple and being proud parents to start a new family. with the work situation at 51 i would say that Dawson is not giving up being a firefighter because olmstead said there is no wedding plans yet for Casey and Dawson so it time for these 2 work together again. Thank you olmstead.

17. Gypsy says:

Can’t these writers come up with anything else to use besides kidnappings, babies, and weddings? It’s like none of them have any imagination any longer. It’s so BORING!!! And they just did the baby thing with Sevaride!

18. Suzette says:

They need to get rid of Dawson and let Casey find a woman who puts him first and not her career.

19. alabama says:

I love that they are getting back together, for however long it lasts, it is a TV show after all. I hope that they let this baby come to term, I think a Casey/Dawson baby is just what this show and these characters need, I would love to see Casey as a dad.

20. Mark says:

I sure hate that I missed the last couple of episodes last season but, it’s one of those shows that brings you right back around , good job!

21. Baby girl says:

Please don’t take forever to come back on!!!!I really love this show and can’t wait to see what happens in the next season Dawson is my favorite character and her brother Antonio and ex-boyfriend Jay Halstead who is in chicago P.D the spin off are so hot.

22. Brendan says:

Dawson is so selfish and immature. I lost interest in Chicago Fire because of her and her whining. as well as the in-house relationships that been going on in that show.