Rookie Blue Marlo Gives Birth

Rookie Blue Recap: Oh, Baby!

Did anyone ever have any doubt that Rookie Blue‘s Andy was going to be the one to deliver Marlo’s baby? I’m pretty sure that’s a TV rule — the current girlfriend must help her boyfriend’s ex give birth to their child. And that’s exactly what happens on this week’s episode, with an MIA baby daddy and some life-threatening complications.

What keeps this storyline from becoming cliché is the fact that Andy and Marlo do have their own history — separate from Sam. It’s a nice reminder that there was a professional relationship and a friendship between the two women before things got so complicated among the trio. There’s even a sweet, funny moment where Marlo laments that if she had cancer, not bipolar disorder, then her colleague would have cooked her a casserole or organized a 10K. There wouldn’t be any shame in it, she tells Andy, who replies, “Marlo, listen to me. If you want…I’ll make you a casserole.”

That’s not to say everything is hunky-dory. While their wedding plans are going swimmingly, Andy does have one request of fiancé Sam: “Maybe no Marlo. Is that a crappy thing to say?” Nope, and Sam is happy to grant his girl’s wish.

But when push comes to shove — and pushing’s exactly what Marlo has to do after she goes into labor — Andy does what’s necessary. While Sam is investigating a stabbing at Marlo’s support group, she and Andy go to an apartment building to look for Sylvia, one of the suicidal members. As she’s trying to stop Sylvia from hurting herself, Marlo feels a contraction. Sylvia uses the distraction to lock herself in the bathroom, and Marlo refuses to leave without her. “The good news is, you’re going to have a baby today,” Andy tells her after deducing that her contractions are too close together to get to the hospital. “And the bad news is, it’s going to be here.”

Thankfully, Andy helps Marlo safely deliver the child, even untangling the umbilical cord from around the baby, and Sam arrives just minutes after the little one’s arrival. As Andy later tearfully watches the new family, it’s clear that even though she just helped bring this life into the world, she’s already feeling like she’s on the outside.

Elsewhere in the episode:

* Praise be, Dov and Chloe finally make up! But first, he unleashes all his feelings on his ex: “Our entire relationship was an affair!” Dov exclaims. And worst of all, he couldn’t even get angry about it because Chloe almost died. “I’m mad that you were married to somebody else. And I hate that I’ll never be married to you first,” he continues before planting a kiss on her.

* Gail tries to reach out to Traci with a letter from Steve — only to be rejected. Then she gets the honor of being teamed up with Steve’s former partner, who’s not thrilled about all their cases now being under review. At least Gail’s day ends better than it began, over a glass of wine with Traci and the declaration, “We don’t have to wear this. This is not our fault.”

* A reinstated Oliver chooses to go back out on the street.

Rookie Blue fans, what did you think of the big delivery? Did you enjoy the Marlo/Andy scenes? And are you celebrating Dov and Chloe’s reunion? (It better stick!)

1. Sarah says:

What a disgusting and awful episode. Marlo taints the entire show. Her child ruins Sam and Andy. I want nothing to do with that child. It’s only used for dramatic purposes. The writers insult the intelligence of their viewers by putting such garbage on TV. I don’t care that Sam and Andy get married. Sam doesn’t deserve Andy.

• Tee says:

I kind of thought that Marlo would go over the balcony by the suicidal chick, or the chick would pull a Private Practice and cut the kid out of her, or run off with her when marlo passed out and gave the baby to her. I thought, oh that’s how they’re going to tie this Marlo thing up.

• Ari says:

I was expecting Marlo to get stabbed at some point in this episode. When she was still alive at the end I was really surprised.

• Benington says:

Sarah, Dear Sarah, it is a TV show and you do have nothing to do with the baby. Just a reality check!!!

2. Laura says:

I loved Andy and Marlo’s interaction and despite not liking someone other than Andy having Sam’s child I still enjoyed seeing how it worked out between the three of them I hope it continues. I also liked that Chloe and Dov are finally back together and Oliver back on the street. This show does not disappoint.

3. Tee says:

Babies are so clean in Canada!

4. Angie says:

people spend the time and energy to complain about Marlo and they actually give her more power
    I think the writers should have had Marlo in the whole season she’s a perfect thorn in the side to the ones that are blind to all the other characters other than Sam and Andy and a great character for people who do see more than just her interaction in S&A relationship. Even if Marlo had nothing to do with Sam this season she would still be seen as a threat. Even when she wasn’t on screen people noticed. Now that’s perfect TV character who’s not perfect at all.

• april says:

Fans see tie Marlo in with Sam and Andy because that’s all she’s ever been and all she will ever be. Marlo has never been her own character. They used the bi-polar card because they wanted people to feel sorry for her instead of having her own up to her mistakes. They never developed her. She is only a foil for Sam and Andy and so is her child. She was never her own character, ever. Marlo gets away with everything and doesn’t have to answer to anything she does. Why? Because they don’t care enough about her. She’s only here to make Sam and Andy miserable. The writers went too far this time. The wedding is pointless now.

• Ari says:

I don’t mind Marlo at all. I just think they don’t really use her correctly in the show. The whole surprise baby thing was kind of rough.

5. Malia says:

I am soooo over this show and this storyline. I don’t give the smallest crap about a child of Marlo’s. Please, go away and never return.

6. Stacey79 says:

Love this show and can’t wait for the finale!

7. pitaz says:

I feel bad for Traci.

8. Kelly says:

I’m glad the writing has gone downhill this season with the pregnancy and now baby. it can finally end. I have enough soap operas to watch during the day, don’t need a nighttime one

9. Carly says:

i can’t believe this season is almost over!!!!! Do we get a 7???????

10. Trine says:

agreed agreed agreed about insulting our intelligence. can’t understand how this got approval for Tv, bad writing

• Benington says:

And yet you keep on watching. All of you that complain so vehemently about the writing, the storyline and voice your HATRED and LOATHING of the “fictitious” Marlo…yet again you all still watch. Then you even take the time to complain about the show online. You can always turn the channel, watch a movie or read a book!!! Once again…reality check people!!!

• Trine says:

…. The irony of your comment is pretty funny. there are just as many people on ‘your’ side of the argument that never shut their traps. sorry you werent raised in an environment where you were allowed to dislike things without judgment

11. Elizabeth says:

To build chord progressions many players (expert and novice alike) use what is calldd the Circle
    oof Fifths. So once you herar what tone in the scale the bass note is you will have a great thought of whzt sort of chord they can be using.
    Free music sheets allows you to enjoy more pleasurable while learning.

12. Donna says:

The story would have been better if Sam would have cheated on Andy and got some random girl pregnant. Marlo is the worst character on TV. I can’t stand her. I can’t stand that she gets away with murder and never has to answer for her messes. I do not get the love affair the writers have with this character. These writers will sacrifice their bread and butter for this bland character that hardly anyone likes. This is the very reason why ratings have suffered so much this season. Marlo brought the show down. Her child brought the show down. This story brought the show down. Well done writers, you made a fanbase not care that the main couple will be getting married. Why should they marry? It’s noting but a consolation prize.

• Jen says:

Um actually Donna the ratings have been great. You are sadly misinformed. And don’t speak for all the fans there are plenty that like Marlo. Get over it. Also your comment seems vaguely familiar. Tell me, how many times have you posted on this page as different people?

13. Mel says:

Why the hell didn’t they call 911 when she went into labor!!?!?!?

• Gerald says:

I get your frustration, but Andy did call for an ambulance on her radio. It killed me that Sam somehow made it there before the paramedics when he was called a while later because they couldn’t reach him. Free healthcare in Canada, but slow ambulance drivers….
      I still dislike Andy and Sam together. But I have to accept it as endgame. Marlo and baby are not going to stop that.

14. GraceM says:

By the time the finale arrived, we still haven’t learned the name of this cur liitle baby girl. Frustrating!!!!! :(

15. Mr. Tran K says:

Don’t know who I’m rootin’ for: Team Andy or Team Marlo.

16. BetsyBoo says:

My DVR cut out with 60 seconds to go – Last thing i saw was Traci and Gail sitting down and Gail was trying to tell her that Steve wasn’t a bad soul – did I miss much more than that? (I saw Chloe+Dov and Oliver and Diaz walk out)

17. rich bind says:

I am confused how it is Sam arrives BEFORE the paramedics, when he is told about the impending delivery long AFTER Andy calls for an ambulance.

18. mae hill says:

It was great but i hope the baby turns out not to be Sams because in watching this show it always comes back to Sam and Andy they are the prefect couple. I can’t wait to the next week to see what they will do next they make everyone better because of his love for her and the care of others. They are funny sad silly and crazy all together this show rocks I hope it stay on you have a really good show. Thanks

19. Liz says:

I felt like crying when Andy was looking through the window and Sam did not invite her in. Sam and Andy are my favorite Tv couple and I love Rookie Blue. I am not crazy about the baby story line but I have continued to watch the show since I watched it since season 1ep.1. The writers have the right to tell their story, I am hoping that Sam and Andy stay together and we get to see some Sam and Andy babies!!!

20. jennifer says:

So Marlo had a complete breakdown at the end of S4 and we learn, in this episode that she contemplated suicide. Yet in order for the writers to make their baby storyline work, she is 3 months pregnant at the end of S5, and 4 months at the start of S6, which picks up one month after the division bombing. Sam tells Andy she’s been back on the job a couple of months in 5-10 when Marlo shows up at MacDonalds house. That simple math tells you after reaching that kind of despair, Marlo comes back to work in one month. One month!!! Way to go writers. Your pregnancy story trumped what you had wonderfully done to make people aware of mental illness, only to toss all that away. Then you try to sprinkle some mental illness on top of the baby storyline by Sam asking about her meds in 6-2 and this episode revolving around a therapy session. Her pregnancy coming in between Sam and Andy was all you wanted.
    You had a wonderful opportunity here and you chose to do a cliché ex-girlfriend pregnant storyline instead of delving into Marlos struggle to get control back of her life and take responsibility for the choices she made after the Kevin Ford fiasco.

And just as a “casserole” side note-she didn’t exactly make friends at 15, except for obviously Sam, and possibly Dov. And the one person who did try to reach out to her (Sam “called her a couple of times to see how she was doing-she didn’t return my calls”) she ignored. You can’t have it both ways-which basically means the writers should remember what they have characters say and do…

• Jackie says:

Love this comment!

• CHH says:

Agreed. It’s funny how the writers like to play both sides where Marlo is concerned. She made it clear in S4 that she doesn’t want to be close to her coworkers including not knowing anything personal about them because she doesn’t want them to be all over her own personal business and now she suddenly totally changed her mind? I mean in 6×4(?) she was totally sure that people were talking about her because she got pregnant by Sam who supposedly dumped her(Did that actually happen like that? We’ll never know because that relationship was just about Marlo getting pregnant to create an obstacle later on.), yet she clearly wasn’t concerned about putting Police officers lifes at risk by her personal choices. And as you said the only person she was somewhat close to in S4, before everyone knew about her illness, was Sam. If people would suddenly be all concerned about her she’d probably not like that either because it would just be because she’s suffering from a mental illness and she’d once again find a reason why how it is isn’t her fault. And regarding Dov being that close to her: That ended in 6×4.
      So I see it as people respecting her wishes from S4: Not getting involed in her personal business.

• Jennifer says:

I find it hilarious that the writers keep talking about “life not being a fairytale” yet the timeline for both Marlo’s recovery and pregnancy was the ultimate “fairytale”.