Last Comic Standing Winner Scores NBC Comedy Pilot From Wanda Sykes

Is it too obvious to say that Rod Man is still standing at NBC?

The Peacock net has ordered a comedy pilot starring the Season 8 champ from its Last Comic Standing franchise — with comic Wanda Sykes and The Game EP Kenny Smith Jr. set to produce, according to our sister site Deadline.

The untitled project will find Man playing a comedian who moves from Georgia to Los Angeles with his wife and daughter to help take care of his mother — a job he’s better equipped for than his seemingly more qualified brother and sister, Deadline reports.

Sykes, who also serves as a Last Comic Standing EP, is best known for her roles on Alpha House, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The New Adventures of Old Christine and her eponymous sitcom. Smith, meanwhile, is also known for his work on Second Time Around, The Jamie Foxx Show and ABC’s upcoming Uncle Buck reboot.

Excited about Man’s pilot? Should NBC be mining its funniest reality property for more sitcom ideas (especially in light of alumna Amy Schumer’s successes)? Check out a video of Man’s work below (contains some NSFW language), then sound off in the comments!

1. LynnH says:

So happy for Rod Man!!

2. Sheryl says:

Have any other winners ever gotten a show? Can’t think of one.

• DL says:

I know Iliza Shlesinger hosted a dating show for a couple years. And Amy Schumer wasn’t a winner, but she was in the top 10 on Season 5.

• Zerb says:

I only started watching last year, but was getting a show part of what past winners received? I know that last year it was so if he’s the only one to get a show out of it, that might be why.

• Jessica says:

One of the prizes was a 1 year development deal, which means they try to come up with a show the network will like, but they have to be paid for the year even if the network passes on everything. They could develop a show and not star in it too. I think last year was the first year that was one of the prizes, but even if it was it doesn’t mean the winning comedian will get a show picked up.

• cej says:

I think other winners got a special on Comedy Central, but not a series. Excited about this! I really like Rod Man!

3. meatwad says:

Love Rod Man and i’m reallly hoping this works out for him

4. LADY_in_MD says:

I liked him and was happy he won glad to see things are working out for him

5. Know-It-All says:

Didn’t think I could be happier than when Rod Man won LCS last year! I was wrong.

Good on you, Rod Man.

6. DarkDefender says:

His style seemed very extemporaneous. Almost like it wasn’t really charted out, freestyle – but just him rambling stories. Very funny guy. I hope they can harness his style into the sitcom way without going off the rails. I look forward to seeing it if it makes it to air.

7. Julia says:

He is sooo hilarious. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that they figure out how to use him and show off his skills.

8. Johnathan says:

So is this guy the next Bill Crosby?