Exclusive
Maya and Marty

Maya Rudolph's NBC Variety Show Set to Add Martin Short as Co-Headliner

Turns out Maya Rudolph and Martin Short‘s hilarious comedic duet during Saturday Night Live‘s 40th anniversary special last February was more than just a viral smash — it was a planted spinoff.

Sources confirm to TVLine that NBC’s long-in-the-works weekly variety show starring Rudolph is on the verge of adding Short as her co-headliner.

In May 2014, Rudolph hosted an hourlong NBC special — titled The Maya Rudolph Show — that served as a warm-up for a possible weekly series. The project remained in development at NBC (with Rudolph’s former SNL boss Lorne Michaels producing). Earlier this summer, Variety reported that NBC was eyeing the show as a possible companion to Neil Patrick Harris‘ upcoming variety-iwsh series Best Time Ever.

I’m told the Rudolph/Short two-hander is tentatively titled Maya & Marty.

An NBC rep declined to comment.

Press PLAY below to relive the glory that was Beyonce Rudolph and Short’s SNL 40th shtick, and then hit the comments with an answer to this question: Maya & Marty >, <  or = to The Maya Rudolph Show?

1. Walkie says:

Martin Short makes everything better.

• Elf says:

Agreed. I recorded Mulaney and fast-forwarded through almost every scene that didn’t feature Short. Also, I highly recommend Short’s autobiography. (I forgot what it’s called but there’s this thing called Google that’ll help.)

• DL says:

It’s called “I Must Say.” I was lucky to find a signed copy at my local Barnes & Noble as a Father’s Day gift for my dad. He adores Martin Short and absolutely loved the book.

• Lizo says:

Really? I feel he dates everything. As in making it feel old.

2. JB says:

Any bets which will last longer..Harris or Rudolph?

3. Evan says:

I love Maya and I think Short is hysterical… Whatever way this show has to make it to my TV, just make it happen!

4. Simon says:

Martin Short is the funniest person on the planet and Maya was always one of my all time SNL faves. Great idea for once NBC.

5. Maya Rudolph is irritating. Her first variety special was awful and unfunny.

6. Jared says:

How many variety shows does NBC need???

7. Mary S says:

I am so glad to see this clip, so I’ll know not to waste my time on their new show – this is the same network that has cancelled so many excellent shows to serve us tripe…I’m down to only 3 or 4 from the 8 or 9 I used to love so much…looks like they still haven’t found a good replacement for any of them. Too bad.

8. AnnieM says:

Two wonderfully funny & talented people. I grew up with the best (and worst) of TV variety show in the 70’s – I hope NBC doesn’t screw this up.

9. Bobby says:

That one hour special, “The Maya Rudolph Show” felt like 12 years. It was horrible. It was an hour long SNL skit, which is par for the course since their skits go on forever and milk anything that was funny completely dry and then murder it.

I hope Martin can improve the show.

10. Maureen says: