Chasing Life Leo Dies

Chasing Life Boss on Tragic Twist: You Haven't Seen [Spoiler]'s Final Episode

Chasing Life fans — and characters — will be afforded a chance at a bit more closure, in the wake of the tragic twist uncorked in this week’s episode of the ABC Family drama.

In Monday night’s episode, “As Long as We Both Shall Live,” newlywed April (played by Italia Ricci) discovered that husband Leo (Scott Michael Foster) had died in his sleep, a devastating loss that, while not entirely surprising, caught the audience at large off guard, breaking many a heart.

But as hinted by the next episode’s title, “The Ghost in You,” we have not yet seen the last episode that Foster filmed, showrunner Patrick Sean Smith affirmed via Twitter:

Foster himself meanwhile thanked fans, hours after his on-screen passing, while celebrating the “rare” experience that was Chasing Life. (The actor now stars on the new Sunday-night ABC drama Blood & Oil.)

Chasing Life fans, how do you think Leo will “resurface”? As a vision to April? In a recreated flashback, or will Leo leave behind a video that will wreck April all over again?

1. wrstlgirl says:

I don’t pay attention to show titles so I had no idea this was coming. I was so shocked. It was very well done and I’m looking forward to seeing what happens next week and next season if renewed. For all you people saying that you’ll never watch the show again I think you’re missing out, but that’s entirely up to you. For me I’m excited to see what happens. Sh*t happens and sometimes actors want to move on, etc. Whether this was Fosters choice or not he and everyone involved should be very proud of this story.

• c-mo says:

Finally a voice of reason! I’m so glad yours was the first post because your comment needs to be shouted from the rooftops. While heartbreakingly horrible, Leo needed to go to move April’s story forward and besides Mr. Foster has moved on to his own show. TPTB have done a very good job of portraying a character with cancer and I think we need to allow them to carry on with their story, I don’t think they will let us down.

• Tee says:

I think part of the resentment toward the show is that they KILLED Leo, so everything is final. He didn’t disappear, he didn’t leave, which could open the door for a return of a character fans have grown to love, and a pairing fans have rooted for. The fact that he died at a time when April and Leo were finally together and able to accomplish anything (and also when he was “healthy”) is a shock. I myself was upset because the actor was on Chasing Life and Once Upon aTime, and I assumed that ABC and ABCFamily would try to work with his schedule. But I guess Scott Michael Forst should be flattered that viewers like him so much that they feel an absence when he is gone from a show–all the way back to his days on Quarterlife. I’m actually going to be pissed if Blood and Oil fails and Leo was killed for nothing.

• Jess says:

Also, the fact that Dominic/April is still very much in play, and can be seen as a major reason why Leo was killed off, so these two could get together. If they didn’t have the triangle rear its ugly head this season while building up to this moment (they would have absolutely had an idea of Leo’s fate early on this season), then I think fans would be less mad. Still mad, but less mad.

• fiberlicious says:

They’ve already let us down. Ever heard the saying “Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me”?

• Tsvdsn says:

I agree with you there i dont read tittles i just record it while at work and watch it when i get home!!! Seeing Leo die broke my heart and surprised me to death because i loved his character sooo much but your right sometimes they move on and he has a new show hes on. I too am excited to watch what is going to happen next anz i cant wait to see how they bring him back in some form of way! This show is calling Chasing Life and in real life people die and as much as it hurts you cant just turn your tv off in the real world and stop living you just have to toon in to see what happens next!

• Erin says:

I don’t pay attention to spoilers either nor had any idea about his new show but as soon as they wed and Scott was still a guest star and the other love interest was still hanging around, surely they couldn’t just have a happily ever after with them married and her dealing with treatments, that would boring. Then we had him looking to the future and April being the one supposedly so sick. Seriously the anvils were bashing me over the head nonstop. I was waiting for the brain tumour to return or for him to be run over or something fatal. I wasn’t the slightest tiniest bit shocked. That said they did it damn well. I loved Leo from the start but if the last two episodes didn’t won fans over to his side I don’t know what could and the wedding was gorgeous as was the last episode. He really was the best husband ever and their last night together and her reaction… Script and acting it truly gave me the feels. I’m crushed.

• Stacey says:

Personally I’m a big goober for even watching a show with cancer in the story line.But I like Scott Michael Foster’s acting from his previous work. Goodness the guy works so much you’d think he had an identical twin. I think the on screen chemistry of Italia and Scott is incredible. Their performance deserves some acting award to recognize their memorable performance. This show has sadness portrayed each week for the past 2 seasons and not a simple 2 sappy hour movie.it. I’ll watch on Monday night then going forward I’ll follow the series reading weekly updates posted what happens to April. I will wean myself off of this series so I can go chase my own life.

2. Jess says:

I love everybody who didn’t see this coming, and is ready to walk from the show. It’s based on a telenovela for goodness’ sake! Of course there’s going to be drama, and death, and heartbreak…

3. Christina Reynolds says:

I can’t even begin to figure out how April will deal with this loss on top of everything. Not sure I’m looking forward to next week, but I will watch.

• Geneva Nicole Smith says:

• April says:

Ya he left a letter to be opened after his passing. I have a feeling he lied about being better cause he didnt want to add to Aprils stress.

• Geneva Nicole Smith says:

I have charter cable so i read the info on the episode next week it says “A distraught April Tries To Disengage From The World In The Wake Of Her Loss But a Suprise From Leo Gets Her To Emerge From Her Isolation Elsewhere Finn Offers Brenna Some Sage Advice”

4. Christina Reynolds says:

Also, what about April’s uncle shredding her father’s book?

• CJ says:

I’m really intrigued by whatever is to come with that storyline. Steven Weber is such a great actor and he really brings a lot to the show whenever George is around.

• Tee says:

Maybe he wrote it under their father’s name. I mean, it sounded like the first book was a literary feat. This other manuscript seems hokey–a CIA dad? Seems like a complete departure from the first book. But, then again, there have been numerous allusions this season to dad being bananas his last year, so…

• Kaia says:

He probably knows something that everyone else doesn’t and he doesn’t want the girls to analyze the details of the book any further. The girls are going to be pissed that he destroyed the last thing they had from their father though, damn.

5. aph1976 says:

i kind of figured Leo would die because he and April just got married.However it could be interesting to see how April moves on because she would know Leo would want her to continue living her life even without him.Plus maybe Leo left a dvd for April in case he ever died to give a final message.

• frothy333 says:

I figured Leo wasn’t going to be on long term b/c they didn’t ever include him in the opening credits on the show, even when he had much more screen time than Dom who is in the opening credits.

• NJMark says:

Sometimes that’s a clue, sometimes it’s not. e.g. Heather Locklear was a “special guest star” on Melrose Place, and she was there throughout the entire run of the show.

Conversely, while Don Murray’s character clung to life on Knots Landing, they also introduced a new credit sequence, including him, leading to the conclusion that he’d survive. Yet he did not.

• Tee says:

Maybe she will take over his philanthropy, which would give her something to do, and allow her to leave a legacy in the same way a book would. It didn’t seem like Leo had siblings, so I would assume that she would be the last part of a family the Hendries had.

6. Tracy says:

Ive always been #TeamDominic but I was crushed they killed Leo off. I had a feeling they would. It was like everyone just “Forgot” he had a brain tumor. He never went for check ups or had medication. Still though, it’s going to be sad that he isn’t in it. Scott is such an amazing actor. I’m excited to see what storyline happens now. I hope they finally get April and Dom back together.

7. Jacqi says:

No offense the actor that plays Dom. I just dont like Dom and April. I feel like she has to pretend with him where with Leo she didnt have to.

• Tee says:

I just find it odd that this season he seems to mean so much to her, when they hadn’t had much interaction post-chemo 1/the breakup. I mean, the first episode of the show made it seem like she crushed on him from afar, so they didn’t have much of a friendship before they started to date, so I was a little weirded out when she told him he was one of the most important people in her life. I feel like she had a closer relationship to Danny than to Dom.

• Sheena says:

Yes Tee! I had the same response. Their supposed “friendship” came completely out of nowhere and the love triangle storyline feels forced.

8. At least their last night together was beautiful…

9. silverpetticoatreview says:

He’s obviously going to return as a ghost playing the part of her guardian angel. I knew this would come eventually because of the way he was written, though it is a disappointment he had to die this soon. It’s too bad, they won’t be able to keep him on in the form of a guardian angel in a recurring capacity. That would make the show awesome.

10. Marcie says:

Is it silly to hope that Leo will just be in a coma until Scott Michael Foster finds out if his show does well?

• Karen says:

I don’t think it is silly. I love Michael’s character in this show, I just feel like if they were going to kill him off they should have done it during his surgery.

11. Tc123 says:

I just don’t understand why they would kill off one of the best characters in the show. I’m not sure that this was a good choice by the writers… I will however continue watching it unless April ends up with Dominic

12. Emily says:

It’s very hard to see April this way

13. Joey Padron says:

glad Leo will be around for one more episode. gonna miss him on the show.

14. izzy says:

In shocked and feeling sadly confused about the sudden death of Leo, but we have no one to single out because I felt that out of all that has taken place “US VIEWERS” mainly focused on April and how she is managing her trial treatment and how she is coping with her cancer, the new marriage and Leo’s talk about the future. As I replay the scene in my head I get to thinking, “why have we not focus on how Leo is doing, or why haven’t he had any Dr. Visits, I guess because our mind is optimistic that he was freed from cancer so he must be free to have a future.. we never seen the sneaky twist coming caughting us off guard, The whole concept of Monday episode “for me” was a life lesson and a HUGE reality check, although it has me sad and I cried, it was a very powerful episode, NOTHING SHOULD WE TAKE FOR GRANTED. . Now how to recover from that, it remains to be seen, I just hope they don’t do the whole P.S I Love movie on us, even though I love that movie…Sorry I’m a rambler

15. Caitlin says:

It was pretty obvious that Leo was getting axed this season. Everything up to this point was pointing to that. Also for some reason I’m thinking that George is actually Aprils Dad…. but IDK because Natalie is a match so you would think that they have to have a parent in common…. or would cousins work? Does anyone thing that Aprils dad may still be alive… I mean it is an ABCfamily show!

16. Anna Marrano says:

Been watching this show from beginning, I loved Leo and April , so much understanding , love and chemistry between the two , I’m shock and I never ever liked Dom , his character is really so blah , I don’t think I want to watch after next week and I really don’t think the show will survive without Leo

17. fiberlicious says:

How will he re-appear?

Don’t know.

Don’t care/

Eff you, ABCEffMeLy

18. Chasing Life should have signed the talented Scott Michael Foster to a contract.

19. G says:

I was exteremaly Shocked by the new episode of Chasing Life. It was well constructed and well acted the characters had so much emotion I felt as if I was there. Great job on the screenplay!!!!

20. B Villanueva says:

I get it that actors move on and shows aren’t about happily ever afters, but I just wish they could’ve given us a couple of episodes with April & Leo experiencing married life. Let’s just hope next weeks episode gives Leo a better send off then they did to McDreamy on Grey’s Anatomy.

• valerie tower says:

Agree. I wish they would have given a and l time to enjoy being together. So upset and crushed Leo is gone!

21. Anna says:

The moment he mentioned having a headache early on in the episode, I thought something was up (tumor scare or something), but I genuinely didn’t think he was going to be killed off! At least not so quickly. It’s a shame, because he was one of my favorite characters. But it is a show about cancer, so I guess death is to be expected. Sigh.

22. justxme82 says:

I get how sad and upset everyone is from loosing Leo, I’m heartbroken myself over it. But all these people saying they’re never going to watch Chasing Life again is also not fair to the writers. This is a show about CANCER and the sad truth is, that even with all the medication and treatments that work, there is still a huge majority of people who die from it, especially Brain Tumors so making a show where everyone who has cancer goes into remission or gets cured is very unrealistic. I’m just glad they didn’t kill Leo off after the fight, that would have destroyed April even more. They had a magical last night together. Though part of me hopes that she is pregnant I don’t know how well that would work out as she wouldn’t be allowed to have Chemo (or a Transplant) until the baby comes and that could mean it would be too late for her.

23. Darlene says:

Is it just me or does April seem to have the worst luck? Deceased Dad has another fam. She Gets cancer. Losses her job. Sister is a basket case. Loser ex who couldn’t handle her illness but no problem hooking up with her sister. Mom is a therapist but can’t figure things out for herself. The black sheep reckless half sister seems to be the most secure since grandma said “peace out”. And now Leo (who I fell in love with) dies. Yea I dont see a new love coming in but im not good with Dom. Totally love beth.

24. Karen says:

I hate hate hate that Leo dies! I have two thoughts on what he leaves behind. Other than hoping that she is just having a nightmare, I believe he somehow saved his sperm so that April could have his child. And, he found out his cancer was back and he wasn’t going to live long so he kept it a secret in order for April to focus on living. I love a good show but you are killing me with this one. Why put April and Leo together only to take him away. It stinks royally!!!! I will continue to watch the show because I love the
    storyline.

25. DD says:

The fact that some people dont want to watch the show anymore proves that they dont get the whole point of the show. Thats how life is he had a brain tumor, when he started feeling weird he never went to see a doctor, nor he told April about. He decided to keep it a secret. Ita really sad to see him go but thats how life works.

26. DD says:

The fact that some people want to stop watching the show for this proves that they dont get the point of the show. Its really shocking that he died this way but lets face it, everyone knew he was gonna day we just didnt know when. Remember guys, after the surgery he started feeling weird and he never went to see a doctor not he told April about it, he just keep it a secret. Plus the fact that he left a letter to be open once he died means he already knew he was gonna die. I think thats the reason he married April not because she was sick, but because he wanted to marry her before he died!

27. Essie says:

This show is so good! As much as I love Leo and I hate that they let him die, I’m sure the show will continue to be just as good.

28. Gwen says:

It breaks my heart to know that Leo died as well. However, I do remember an episode (Rest In Peace) in the first season were Leo went to the doctor after his surgery and spoke about headaches and the doctor indictated it came along with having brain surgery. Maybe this was a sign we missed.

29. cindy says:

I think he may have suspected or maybe even knew that the cancer was back and he was dying I think he may have had sperm frozen and stored with Aprils eggs in hope of them having a child together even if he was not here to see it. He had been talking a lot about having children.
    I hope Dominic has enough respect for April and her choices to remain a good friend and not try to make it into something more at least not for a decent amount of time. I could see her getting better or well enough to have a child of Leos, Dominic hanging around to help her through it then maybe he could possibly make a relationship.
    Aprils loss of her relationship with Leo is definitely going to be a rough one

30. Paulina says:

Absolutely gutted. Had no inkling!!!! Gobsmacked totally, and feeling lost. Double whammy for ne as my other favourite character Joel from Saving Hope just died too!!!!! How will I recover???

• Erin says:

Duuude. Just because people are up to date with chasing life doesn’t mean they’re up to date with other shows i.e finding hope. I would have thought one would be safe from specific spoilers about totally irrelevant shows in a chasing life fest. Thanks!!!!

31. Sophia says:

I’m so sad and heartbroken I thought maybe things were looking up what did he die from he was cured of cancer right?😔😔

32. Taylor says:

I’m very sad that this happened, I was literally crying when Leo died. Leo and April were the cutest couple ever I loved them so much. I’m watching this on Netflix and I didn’t watch anymore episodes after the funeral for Leo, should I? But if Dominic and April get back together I will be even more sad because I really don’t like them together. I can’t believe this happened but this is basically like all shows something happens that NOBODY wants. Like why couldn’t Beth die or something why Leo, or in One Tree Hill when Peyton, Lucas, and Sawyer left I literally stopped watching that too 😂 Or when they cancelled secret circle leaving us with a HUGE cliff hanger, oh and we can’t forget what happened to Elena in The Vampire Diaries and so much more shows. So maybe Leo dying was a good thing for the show but it may take me a while to get over this ☹😂 Can someone reply and tell me if I should continue watching.

33. Shameez says: