So You Think You Can Dance Recap: You May Be My Lucky All-Star

Crouching Geisha, Infuriating Elimination.

If this week’s So You Think You Can Dance had to be summed up by a twist on an Oscar-winning movie title — and let’s be honest, what major life scenario couldn’t/shouldn’t fall under those terms? — then what better way to express the joy of Gaby’s Japanese-inspired hip-hop number and Edson’s blow-to-the-gut exit at the exact moment he broke on through to the future all-star side?

I know not everyone was fully sold on the Season 11 Twitter Save, but damn we coulda used it this week, if only to give Edson one more week — based on his soul-stirring contemporary and pulse-raising solo — while finally bringing the curtain down on Indestructible Derek and His Reign of Blank-Eyed Terror. (Sorry, I liked his hip-hop last week, but tonight’s jazz routine found him getting upstaged not only by white-hot Kayla, but also by a café table!)

Anyway, enough kvetching on my part — actually, no…

Can I just have a quick sidebar and ask out loud the same question I posed on Twitter during the live telecast: Will there ever be a day when a SYTYCD finalist is allowed to publicly say he or she is gay — out loud, on air, and not just via social media or iffy subtext? We know Neptune’s got a kid, Jaja’s got a fiancé and countless other dancers over the show’s 12-season history have had romantic and or marital ties. But not a single Top 20 contestant — 236 in all, if you recall there was only a Top 16 in Season 1 — has ever gotten to be out and proud on Fox airwaves. Not only that, given the hundreds of heterosexual romance/relationship pieces that have dazzled us since the show debuted in 2005, only Travis Wall’s gay marriage quartet from last year has even flirted with an exploration of same-sex love. (And even that wasn’t an intimate one-on-one piece.)

As a gay husband and dad, am I being unabashedly soapbox-y? Maybe. But given the odds that no more than .0001 percent of the SYTYCD audience would identify as anything other than completely gay-friendly, the total straightwash (for lack of a better term) seems silly at best, and grotesquely antiquated at worst. Nigel Lythgoe and his fellow judges never hesitate to criticize dancers — and keeping it real, it’s usually the less-than-masculine fellas — for lack of “connection” and “chemistry” with their partners, but what if they got to get flirty/get angsty/get down with fellow dudes? Or what if straight performers occasionally had to tell same-sex love stories? I don’t need this to be So You Think You Can Banish Heteronormativity — did I just write that? — but maybe one in, oh, every 50 or 100 romantic routines could take us outside the prince-princess model?

OK, I’m pulling myself out of the rabbit hole and back into recap mode now. Let’s talk results — and the week’s best/worst, shall we?

Bottom 2 Team Stage (Based on Last Week’s Vote)
Edson
Derek

Bottom 2 Team Street (Based on Last Week’s Vote)
JJ
Megz

Lowest Vote Getters
Edson (Noooooooooo! Tell me we’re re-enacting the Twitter save over the next six days!)
JJ (already on the sidelines with an injury, so even if she was your fave, it’s kinda sorta fair)

Saved
Derek
Megz (insert Handel’s “Messiah” here)

And now, let’s dish who’s left… (bearing in mind I’ll be back overnight to update this recap with more detailed reviews of the nine big routines):

Routines (Ranked Worst to Best)
10. JJ (injured and not allowed to dance)

9. Derek and All-Star Kayla (Nick Florez & RJ Durell, Jazz) | I’ll admit there’s a chance I was simply so elated by the return of Kayla — one of my Top 10, maybe even Top 5 contestants ever — that I forgot to pay attention to Derek. But when he did catch my attention, his placid facial expressions were out of whack with the violently lusty choreography. Yes, he killed it as a support platform for Kayla’s wicked leap over his back, but there wasn’t much else to the routine that’ll win him votes.

8. Jim and All-Star Jessica (Dee Caspary, Contemporary) | Was Jessica supposed to be rocking a pageant-chick smile for half this routine about a tormented guy and the woman trying to pull him out of his funk? If so, I throw a side-eye at Dee’s direction. If not, I will politely observe that not all All-Stars are created equal. Whatever the case, though, Jim never fully engaged with or locked into his All-Star partner, and the distant quality to his dancing was at least half the reason that all the pretty shapes and leaps amounted to not much of anything. I hate when the judges all spout the same constructive advice — c’mon, most of these comments have to be planned over dress rehearsal — but Paula, Nigel and Jason all did Jim a solid by urging him to hone his storytelling skills even if it means a tiny reduction in technique. (We won’t notice the difference between 100 percent and 95 — not on a show that’s paced this rapidly — I promise!)

7. Megz and All-Star Marco (Ray Leeper, Jazz) | Megz is definitely among my Season 12 overall faves, but midway through her jazz number this week, I actually scribbled down the phrase “a tiny bit stiff?” — mainly in her transitions and her side-by-side work with Marco, whose fluidity and lines felt just a hair more fine-tuned than his partner’s. Megz’s solo was the most raw and engaging on Team Street, but as much as it pains me to admit, I’m not sure that’ll be enough to keep her in the mix over Virgil and/or Neptune.

6. Virgil and All-Star Comfort (Christopher Scott, Hip-Hop) | Paula was right that Christopher Scott is especially adept at juxtaposing his dance style with unexpected musical selections. And while “Just My Imagination” provided a sweet soundtrack for this throwback ode to old-fashioned romance — one that Virgil sold with some beautifully animated facial expressions — I’d have liked to see a little more hard-hitting content. (Not a complaint about Virgil, mind you, but I can see him possibly at risk next week due to the limitations of his number, no?)

5. Hailee and All-Star Brandon (Warren Carlyle, Broadway) | Broadway is a tough sell on SYTYCD — and it’s especially rare when the style gets the benefit of an emotional backstory — but Hailee’s exuberance seemed to feed off the electric combo of Gaga and Bennett’s vocals on “It Don’t Mean a Thing (If It Ain’t Got That Swing)” — her speed, her lines, her extensions all as mesmerizing as you’d expect from a future finalist (and potential winner). OK, sure, she’s behind Gaby in the Season 12 pecking order, but it’d just take one perfect piece of choreography to catapult her into a dead-heat for No. 1 on Team Stage.

4. Jaja and All-Star Alex (Nakul Dev Mahjan, Bollywood) | I wonder if this should’ve been labeled a Bollywood Disco, since it kinda looked like a ’70s style Dance Fever piece mixed with some gorgeous Indian-style costuming and hand gestures. Perhaps that’s another way of saying my untrained eye never is 100 percent sure if a Bollywood piece is being done imperfectly or not. The good news for Jaja is that it didn’t really matter — she and Alex painted a fairy tale of sly princess and flirtatious guard — pitted against one another but (maybe next lifetime) wishing they didn’t have to be. I loved the almost cartoon-like expressions on Jaja’s face — and the delicacy with which she leapt, spun and contorted to the music — the polar opposite of her chosen krump style. She’d have to fall flat on her face — probably literally – to not make the finale at this point, which seems as likely as anyone with functioning eyes denying that Alex is matinee-idol handsome.

3. Neptune and All-Star Jasmine (Pharcyde and Phoenix, Hip-Hop) | Neptune and Jasmine’s synchronization in this piece was pretty epic — from their across-the-dining-room foolery to the sick and delicious backwards crab-walk. Best of all, though, was the way Neptune used his “broken-arms” technique to engulf Jasmine in a limb-tasticly macabre twist. Frankenstein and his bride have never had so much fun — or dropped it so low — but I think we can all be thrilled we got invited to, as Paula called it, this “marriage in Transylvania.”

2. Edson and All-Star Jaimie (Travis Wall, Contemporary) | Music can play such a huge role in the success or failure of a routine, and Travis really made a next-level decision with his choice of the haunting “Your Day Will Come” as backdrop for a story about Edson pulling Jaimie away from “the light” at the end of her fading life. Edson’s quality of movement — the ethereal swoop of his every extension — made it look like he’d sprouted wings, and even the face-to-face scream was so committed that it never fell into camp/hoo-hah-ery. Combined with some wildly difficult lifts that looked as effortless as they did graceful, Edson definitely proved he deserved a Top 8 slot, and his failure to get one felt like akin to Grand Theft Reality Show.

1. Gaby and All-Star Joshua (Pharcyde and Phoenix, Hip-Hop) | This Geisha-vs.-Ninja romp definitely ranks right at the top of my “Best of Season 12” list — and might even crack my countdown of SYTYCD‘s 10 Best Routines Ever. Is that daft to say? I honestly don’t think so. I mean, just that move where Gaby lay on her back and balanced herself — feet straight out, atop Joshua’s torso — took such wicked strength and agility that I actually whooped and hollered and then hit the rewind button to make sure I hadn’t imagined it. Better still, though, it wasn’t merely a show of brute force by Gaby, but a graceful dance-battle TKO punch, no small task against the deep-in-the-groove Joshua and his delightful swag. Gaby’s been a front-runner since her audition redux this season, but this may have been the week where she finally got voted “Most Likely to Inherit Ricky Ubeda’s Crown.”

Team Stage Individual Rankings (for the week)
1. Gaby
2. Hailee
3. Jim
4. Derek

Team Street Individual Rankings (for the week)
1. Jaja (her solo puts her over the top)
2. Neptune
3. Virgil
4. Megz

With that, I turn things over to you. What did you think of Season 12 Top 10 results night? Take our polls below, then sound off in the comments!

1. Aki says:

I cannot believe Edson got cut this week. He should have made Top 6.

2. Logan says:

Gaby is taking this season by storm! That hip-hop number was AMAZING! What can’t she do? When Nigel said his favorites from Stage and Street were Gaby and Jaja, he had it right. Those two are the best from both sides and it should come down to them in the end. Sure, there are a few contestants who could break that up (Hailee, Virgil, maybe Jim), but for me, its those two all the way.

Im also sad to say Megz is almost certainly gone even though I have absolutely loved her on this show. But her mediocre performance tonight wasn’t up to par with the other fabulous routines…

• DF says:

Maybe it is time for SYTYCD to give Megz a great piece of choreography. Now dancing with the all stars, they wouldn’t have to dumb down her pieces (like last week’s Hip Hop with Derek). I would have loved to see what Megz and Comfort could do together in a Hip Hop Routine. I thought she did great with the jazz piece as that was completely out of her genre.

3. Ali says:

Derek literally has 9 lives. And he always has this weird smile on his face that annoys me.. I think the stage side of this competition would’ve been a lot more interesting had Edson made it through … could’ve sent Jim home & Hailee in the bottom perhaps?? And also, his solo was SEXY. I remember in that one routine the judges gave him a hard time for not using his sexuality enough but that solo was HOT.

Thought Jaja was given the kiss of death by bollywood…but turns out it was like the best bollywood routine in the shows history and my favorite routine of the night.

Jaja vs Gaby in the final…forst time I actually agree with Nigel

Hailee’s a great dancer.. But i dont get why the judges say they cant take their eyes off of her and are so drawn to her

When it comes down to top six, street side eliminations gonna be good… Virgil or Neptune…

Megz w/ 2 bad routines in a row… Time to say goodbye

JJ seems like a genuinely nice person to me

WOULD JIM JUST GO HOME ALREADY

Wish they wouldve gotten rid of the street vs stage in the top 10, I feel like it wouldve gone more like this then:
    10 & 9: JJ & Megz
    8 & 7: Jim & Derek
    6 & 5: Hailee & Edson
    4 & 3: Neptune & Virgil
    2 & 1: Jaja & Gaby

4. Dave says:

Great night overall. Every season when the all stars come in, everybody steps up their game. Megz was kind of a let down compared to the other routines on Team Street. Neptune’s routine was awesome. My personal favorite. Gaby did amazing too.
    Predictions for Bottom 4:
    Team Stage Bottom 2: Derek, Jim. Eliminated- Derek (PLEASE)
    Team Street Bottom 2: Megz, Virgil (just by a nose to Neptune, even though it’ll probably be the other way around). Eliminated- Megz (it’s her time, unfortunately).

5. JM says:

I’ve tried, I really have, but I just don’t like Pharside and Phoenix routines. They are always so frantic and erratic that I just don’t enjoy them. Based on the above poll however it doesn’t seem to have hurt Gaby, which is good. She and Hailee are my fav stage dancers. Sorry to see Edson gone. Should have been Derek.

• Christina says:

I’m glad someone else feels that way about Pharside and Phoenix. Never really have been able to get into their routines, tonight’s routine with Gaby being the exception. I think maybe it’s all the tutting and vogueing and whacking and whatnot that are in their routines. I always think the dancers are trying to swat away flies with all the ridiculous arm waving and such. Just dance already and leave the vogueing to Madonna.

• Winn says:

How about leave the vogueing to the drag queens and trans performers who invented it, and she appropriated it from? Someone desperately needs to see “Paris is Burning”.

6. Sarah says:

I think you are forgetting the Travis Wall Kent Robert break up routine.

7. Olivia says:

Michael, I completely agree with you about how wrong it is that the judges, especially Nigel, point out the lack of chemistry to the more effeminate male dancers. It isn’t fair. I understand they have to play a character, but it is too much to ask for that level of acting from young dancers. I do like that they’ve kept Megz’s androgynous look and not tried to make her look feminine. I see Jaja as a tomboy, but she was beautiful tonight.
    I can’t believe Derrick is still there. The Stage vs Street thing was a good idea at first, but I really wish they’d let it go now. Yorelis completely deserves Derrick’s spot.
    Megz is my favorite, but I think her days are numbered. My guesses for the final four are Yaya, Virgil, Hailee, and Gaby. I think any if them could win.

8. Tina says:

I just don’t think it’s fair that Megz gets the bad choreography 2nd week in a row- and I really can’t stand Neptune and don’t see what anyone sees in him

• Dave says:

Maybe the fact that he has gotten better every week and came into the top 20 with nobody knowing who he was. He’s got personality, he’s great at other styles. He’s in the top 8 for a reason.

9. Lisa says:

I can’t believe Megz in the bottom 2…. She’s the best one on that show! Her choreo is NOT showing what she is capable of……

10. CJ says:

JaJa gave one of my favorite Bollywood routines on this show in a loooong time.

Was Nigel eating JJ’s face at the end of the show during the credits? What was happening?

11. cdobkin93 says:

Is it just me or has the choreography been very weak this season? Also, Derek is an incredibly talented dancer, as shown by his solo, but he never gets routines to prove it. If he were given a Travis Wall contemporary piece or a Sonya jazz number, he would get a standing O without a doubt. He has amazing technique and looks great as a dancer, but when given this terrible routines, he has no choice but to dance the lackluster choreography.

12. jentay82 says:

While I agree with you mostly on SYTYCD avoiding the directly being out and gay, I do believe it was last week where Megz asked Derek his favorite male celebrity crush. I think that was the show you fast-forwarded all the intros, but don’t quote me on the exact show. I remember being both surprised they acknowledged it, but it was like finally!

That aside, I’m stunned Derek is still there. I thought his solo was lovely, but he’s all technique and no soul. Paula’s critique was spot-on. At this point, I think it’s Gabby and Jaja’s title to lose.

The beginning of this season was rough for me. It legit had some of the worst episodes in the history of the show and I’ve been watching since the first episode of the first season. But it’s gotten better, so much better. What I can’t understand though is how there are numerous amazing chreographers out there amd they use the same ones over and over. Maybe there are timing issues or something, but just doing a basic search on YouTube will find you countless talented ones I’d kill to see on the show.

And can Jason Durelo just please go away.

13. KB says:

I don’t have DVR and I missed what happened to JJ – what was her injury? Thanks

14. Florence+TheMachineRules!!! #SLAYRIAH!!! says:

Jaja, Gaby, and Hailee are the Front-runners this season and they just keep getting better than ever!!! 😍😍😍

15. Lena says:

I really miss old structure of show with different styles and genius choreography ( we are watching all seasons from very beginning and this season is a big disappointment forus.

16. Zoe says:

YES! Thank-you for calling SYTYCD out on this. It absolutely is straightwashed and it makes no sense to me. It’s a dance show for goodness sake, in 2015! As much as I adore the show, it’s such a turn-off for me when Nigel and the other judges give incredible dancers a hard time for not being “masculine” enough.

17. Christina says:

Can someone please explain to me what Derek’s appeal is? Because I DON’T GET IT. I just do not get it. How he is still on this show? On the bright side both Gaby and Jaja KILLED it tonight. Love them.

• Diane says:

Derek has the dance competition and Dance Mom Miami connections. He danced with Stars Studio in Miami for about a year and a half. Victor Smalley and Angel Armas criss crossed the country with Derek in tow to teach workshops at dance studios across the country. He has a large social media following of young girls and gay men on twitter and Instagram. He competed extensively with Stars, dancing with Ricky Ubeda .He has many competition dance connections as well those fellow competitors supporting him. Young dancers like Maddie Zieglar and Sophia Lucia tell their fans to save him. Derek always asks his followers to save him each week. .Derek’s Canadian boyfriend (also a dancer and competition owner) seeks votes from his Canadian followers. Not sure they can even see the show in Canada. However, they are garnering double votes by encouraging friends etc to vote via Facebook and twitter! Two votes are better than one! Hope that answers your question.

• Diane says:

I meant to say Facebook or texting….there are three ways to vote. Two of which require a Facebook account, so you only use one of those. But nothing prevents the text voting….hence two votes instead of one.

18. Paul says:

I was completely blown that Derek was saved…AGAIN! I haven’t b impressed with him since week 2? I find it frustrating because he is a great soloist, but a lackluster performer in terms of being versatile.

Sidebar to your argument about contestants being openly gay, they’re slowly becoming more accepting. I recall in season 10 them trying to hint about Tucker having “difficulty” with his dad about something. There have been several contestants each season that are gay, and I think…well hope…that with the new ruling for gay marriage that it will improve. You know considering the show can squeeze more seasons out.

• Derek wasn’t “saved”, he just didn’t have the fewest votes. That said, he can’t stay much longer, can he? No way he passes Jim, Hailee, or Gaby. (I hope I didn’t just jinx it!)

19. Carla Krae says:

Edson going home is a crime. What the hell, people?
    I love JJ. She always entertained me and she’s so cute.

20. callieqw says:

The top dancers this year are very good, but past seasons were more enjoyable for me. I don’t like the street vs stage. I miss some of the past choreographers and paula abdul talks too much. For me why change something that worked so well. My fave is hailee. What a face! Matches her exuberance.

21. callieqw says:

I really don’t like the new format. I miss having different judges, and past choreographers. Some of the routines were duds especially the group dances. Hailee is my favorite, with that expressive face and great dancing, win or lose, she will have success. Very excited to see Alex Wong , Jason and Comfort and especially Marco. I love the show nevertheless.

22. mini2mom says:

Thank you, Michael Slevak, for smart, fair and funny comments that add to the fun of watching the show each week.

23. Tiff says:

Nigel made a really awkward reference to the Ruby Blue routine, saying it was performed by tWitch and Jasmine. The routine was actually a couple seasons prior to Jasmine’s…it was Sasha with tWitch in like season 8. One of my favorite routines ever, but no one pointed out to him that his reference was totally incorrect.

• Marianne says:

We noticed this as well. Even more embarrassing is that an excerpt of the dance is shown in the show’s intro!

24. So sad that Edson didn’t or couldn’t show how good he is until now. His performance and solo were the best of the night in my opinion. Jim is given the same advice every week but can’t seem to connect with any partner. I don’t think he will be able to change in such a short time but it would be exquisite if he did. Gabi has to be trained in more than tap. She is just the best. I will miss JJ. Would have liked to see her interpretation of the geisha number. I hope the rest of the show gives us beautiful moments.

25. Rafael says:

Judge Paula Abdul will be renewed for next season, but I don’t think she will continue after next season. Judge Mary Murphy should return next season and replace Judge Jason Derulo after this season.

I think the reason why Mary is not in this season is because this is show is trying to refresh in a new scratch after being in a badly setup FOX teen entertainment marketing system, along with American Idol, Glee, New Girl and The Mindy Project. We already know that the whole system was created by fired FOX member Kevin Reilly in a careless technique and it was already shut down back in May 2015.

26. Pat202 says:

I loved the Virgil and Comfort routine….it was joyous and capture the moment perfectly. i think their chemistry and subtlety made it one of the best routines of the season.

27. Jessa says:

HOW DOES DEREK KEEP GETTING SAVED??

28. Nikki says:

Ok Derek is gay, why should he have to announce it on tv? He proudly posts pics of him and his boyfriend on insta. And if you remember last week Megz asked him who his man crush is.. Because he’s gay. I think he’s an incredible dancer but Is definitely not succeeding in this show and is really only saved because he already has a huge fan base.
    EdSons routine made me cry. 3 times actually. Very disappointed he couldn’t have shown this much talent in earlier pieces so he could move on but based on his previous performances I do believe it was his time to go. Very unfortunate.
    Has anyone actually seen jim dance????? Like ??? He’s honestly phenomenonal and it saddens me how under appreciated flawless ballet is.
    I’ve act been anticipating hang getting hip hop because I figured that would be her major flaw but I was clearly wrong.
    Megz Is great but she doesn’t need to stay.
    Virgil’s hip hop was great but just a little lack luster this far in.
    I wasn’t a huge fan of neptunes hip hop but I can definitely appretiate his and jasmines commitment.
    Hailee was great not her strongest but she did with what she was given.
    Jaja is a freaking murderer of everything Shes given. I was worried about her Bollywood but her attention to detail required in her animation clearly paid off.
    All in all great night

• Tom says:

Your right jaja murdered that dance. Meaning it was so bad. Her hands, movements and placements, were terrible and sloppy. Her feet were completely sickled. But of course thats not brought up. Only Jim and Megz get critiques when Virgil was all of the place too. I don’t understand

• A fan says:

I think Jaja is highly overrated, probably because she’s cute and has personality. I prefer dancing wow factor to personality.

• DF says:

Yes! Someone else that noticed Jaja’s sickled feet and no comment from the judges. It all seems very orchestrated.

• Mona Cattanach says:

I usually enjoy JaJa’s routines, but wasn’t impressed with her Bollywood routine. Her movements weren’t sharp and crisp and at times she seemed slow to me. On the other hand, Alex Wong was amazing as always. He was so quick and so sharp and precise with his movements and when he did those amazing stag leaps around the gazebo I just wanted to watch those for the entire show. Of course I think Alex could dance the Hokey Pokey and I’d want to watch all night! I would love to see Alex and Jim paired for a classical ballet routine. Both have incredible technique and maybe some of Alex’s performance quality would transfer to Jim.

• We were having a storm announcement during Ja Ja’s routine, yet I noticed flaws about her performance. In defense of her and other’s who have to do a dance that takes years to accomplish, like tango and flamenco, a week is not enough to master such intricate hand movements. I will have to watch it with the music to be sure but I think other’s on the show had better Bollywood performances. Maybe she just looked bad next to Alex who has done Bollywood more than once.

• Olivia says:

Forgive me, as I know little about dance, but what are sickled feet? It definitely seems like other dances in the past have had to do very intricate hand movements that were missing from Jaja’s piece. To be honest, when Alex is dancing, it’s really difficult to watch his partner. He’s just so good. I wish they would let him compete in another season.

29. Bobby says:

I think Nigel Lygoe is a homophobic asshole. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

30. ABC says:

Realizing I may be stepping into Stereotypesville here, twink Edson certainly seems to fit your call for “diversity”.

• Jenks says:

Yeah, you stepped in it, all right. “Twink”??? Seriously? Also, you completely missed the point of Michael’s comments.

31. Jennifer says:

I thought Derek’s solo was the best out of all of them. JaJa – Blah Blah. So over her.

32. Jan says:

After watching both SYTYCD and American Idol for YEARS, I didn’t think I’d ever see myself typing these words: Paula Abdul is the best judge on the panel! Of course, that isn’t saying all that much, but still …
    I was so pleased to see Joshua join the All-Stars!
    JaJa, Virgil, and Gaby’s routines made me smile, so they garnered my top-three votes.
    No, Michael, I don’t think you’re being soapbox-y! I agree 100%!!

33. Luli101 says:

First, no way Edson should have gone home over Derek.
    Second, I keep hoping that just one week when they introduce the judges that it will be someone different. I miss the different critiques from the professional choreographers. It was part of the enjoyment for me.
    Third, I think Hailee and Brandon were phenomenal and deserved to be in at LEAST the top three.

34. lar says:

I still love this show. Even though it ticks me off that apparently west coast votes don’t matter in the “save”, I still love to see the growth of the dancers and the chance for some crazy-fabulous choreography. I like the two team captains, and I like seeing the team group numbers. I do miss the mini-solos of those dancers in jeopardy. It always reminded me of what they excelled in and why you liked them (or not!) in the first place. Re: the masculinity issue. I don’t think it’s an anti-gay thing. I think it’s a reflection of the power often required of dancing. Much of the choreography requires such power in its grace–and sometimes, the guys look less powerful than the women they are paired with. Unfortunately, when that happens it takes away from their skill set. IMHO, of course! Not meant as an affirmation to any one particular dancer/critique. Just an observation.

35. Beth says:

Why is it everyone got a dance style in their “wheelhouse” except for Jaja, Gabby & Megz? Is it a coincidence that they are the front runners for their teams? Maybe not…….

36. eithanvoc says:

Why do we need to know you’re a ‘gay husband and dad’, does your homonormative life make every other queer person’s opinion on this matter, matter less? I’m guessing there’s a 95% chance you’re white too and think the world revolves around you.

37. Melon says:

Nigel please bring Mary back as well as guest judges . Not only was Mary a vital asset she complimented you . As a team you both enhanced each other because you are very different. No offence to Paula she is a talented woman but together not complimentary. Miss Mary and the old Nigel. Guest judges added a variety of views experience and entertainment

• Rafael says:

Don’t worry, Mary is going to come back next season and she should replace Jason Derulo only. Paula is OK, even if her talk isn’t polished yet as Mary. Paula will more likely return next season and Mary will sit between Nigel and Paula, as a matter of fact.

38. Mark Rush says:

I believe that jaja was more well rounded then Gabi. Nothing against Gabi, she’s a beautiful dancer but jaja should have won that competition.