TV Reboots

Reboot This: Stars, Producers Pick the Shows (Buffy! FNL! Golden Girls! Wonder Woman!) They'd Revive

The reboots are coming! The reboots are coming!

From the recently announced Prison Break event series to Netflix’s nostalgic Fuller House to a possible new spin on Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, the TV industry seems to be all about remakes and revivals right now.

So TVLine invited some of the small screen’s top producers and stars to share the shows they’d like to see get second chances at life. Their picks ranged from cult faves (Angel, Freaks and Geeks) to sci-fi fare (The Outer Limits, Quantum Leap — with a female twist!) to little-seen gems (Profit and something called… Super Gran?).

Given some of the powerful names — Greg Berlanti, Julie Plec, Bryan Fuller — who suggested the following titles, we wouldn’t be surprised if a couple of ’em eventually got the greenlight.

Check out the gallery below — or click here for direct access — to find out who wants to revisit Little House on the Prairie, which current superhero is waiting for Clark Kent’s return and more. Then hit the comments to let us know which picks have your seal of approval.

1. Ncooke says:

GIVE US BUFFY! IM SURE NETFLIX WOULD BRING BACK BUFFY……BUT WITH THE SAME STARS !

• BG says:

Jericho
      Lost In Space
      Beverly Hillbillies
      UFO
      Everybody Loves Raymond
      Old fashion variety specials and shows! ( Cher, Midler, Liza, Streasand, Andrews , etc. ).
      Network games shows: Concentration, Password, Hollywood Squares,etc.
      Stargate
      Star Trek
      One Life To Live
      Communion The Movie ( Strieber )
      A new Fanny Brice feature film, starring Barbra Streisand.
      A new Stephen Sondheim musical
      Liza Minneli in a great new movie musical

• BG says:

A Ron Howard developed and appropriately written film for Doris Day. Perhaps, one exploring Beverly Boyer ( Happy Soap ), as an older individual, but still as spunky!

• Eli says:

So Geoff Johns, the chief creative officer at DC Comics is asked what he’d like to reboot and his answer is Incredible Hulk, a Marvel property. Really Geoff??? I largely admire your comic work but this is an odd response. You have the entire DC IP at your fingertips and you are a driving force behind what DC puts out on film/TV, why not pick one of the great DC franchises worth rebooting? Some company loyalty man, some loyalty to the company that has put so much trust in you.

• Bob Backus says:

Have to get Xander out of jail, or is he out already?

• Bexa says:

Yes, ….yes….yes!!!!!!

2. KT says:

“Super Gran” sounds amazing. The next thing I’m doing is looking for any clips or actual episodes of it. Wow. And my love for Tatiana just grew, which I didn’t think was possible. A serious, live action “Flintstones?!” I really feel like this is something we have to have, America!

3. annie says:

if you want to bring back Buffy, you need to cast David Boreanaz for reasons!!!!

4. Amy J says:

Angel had the comics, so there was some kind of continuation of that story. But oh, what I’d give for more Friday Night Lights. (Netflix and co – I’d give money. To your company. Just saying)

5. annie says:

if you want to bring back Buffy, you need to cast David Boreanaz for reasons

6. Mr. Tran K says:

Love to see reboots of The Love Boat and Moonlighting in the future.

7. znachki says:

Profit! So good, so ahead of its time.

8. Sabrin says:

I was very excited about but then got disappointed with Girl meets World, so I’m hesitant about having any reboots of my favourite shows

9. Steven says:

I’d love to see where the Charmed ones are now. If only so Paige and Prue can finally come face to face.

10. SayNay says:

Not on the list, but I’d love to see Sliders rebooted. The concept of the show was great, but those cheesy 90s special effects don’t do it justice.

• Pat says:

Sliders was great. Until they hit season 3 and started ripping off every single B movie in the book, from Tremors to Dawn of the dead. Their originality died. And the d**k move of them to end it on a cliffhanger to get back at the network was stupid too.

• Belle says:

THIS!!!!

11. GracePerry (@GracePerry18) says:

Moonlighting! I blindly love it too, and the ending kinda broke my heart…

12. Joy Lawson says:

Lost in space as long as it stays mostly drama…nothing like the movie please…those people couldn’t decide what they were going for. The Pretender…but about him…learning about how the world works and not the “save a child of the week” show…he should be more devious and willing to hurt or kill those who have wronged others. The people at the Center should be just as interesting or more so than the original. And from movie to tv….Stage Door, It happened one night…Body Snatchers.

13. Sheryl says:

I love the idea of Eddie Izzard as Steed in The Avengers. Amazing!

14. FNL doesn’t need a reboot it’s already perfection.

15. scott21 says:

Reboot Charmed but with all FOUR SISTERS

• Samm says:

Yes yes yes. And they are all up for it.

• Sasha says:

Yes…but I dont think Alyssa Milano would. Live and let live I say. They’ve all moved on so forgive and forget yeah?

• Steven says:

Alyssa said before she was willing, the only one who doesn’t seem interested is Rose McGowan and she was was barely interested in the final season.

• Jen says:

Well then bring back the original three and do a movie revival set after all hell breaks loose where Prue lived as should of been had Shannen not left.

16. Jooshua says:

They had an awesome Quantum Leap reboot.. called Journeyman. But I’d love to see a female lead Quantum Leap. I still love that show.

17. I want sequels to Sliders and Earth Final Conflict.

18. I’m up for a few of those (Buffy & Angel for sure), but what I’d love to see wasn’t mentioned. FIREFLY! Although, there’s no way a new cast could top the old one, so it would have to be the same cast…and Wash would have to be back. *sniffle*

19. Marco says:

If you have to reboot a show, please PLEASE reboot Dead Like Me! It was an amazing show with some of the best writing I’ve ever seen.

20. jar says:

I love that there’s someone working in Hollywood today who thinks a reboot of Hey Dude should happen. I mean, it’s a terrible idea but man, I loved that show!

21. Dominique says:

we already know what happened to angel and his crew. half of them died and/or became evil.

22. Tracy says:

I’d like to see Buffy, Angel, Pan Am, Off the Map, Tru Calling and Love Boat all come back! MASH is one of my all time favorite shows and I’d love to see it come back but I’m not sure anyone could ever do a reboot anywhere near as well as the original – the original MASH was just too good! The cast, the writing and Alan Alda…there will never be another Hawkeye Pierce!

23. Tracy says:

A Buffy or Angel reboot would need to be a combo of the two shows! Both shows were good but nothing topped the first 3 seasons of Buffy! We need Angel and Buffy together! Also, Willow, Xander, Gunn and Big Blue!

24. Samm says:

Charmed Charmed Charmed. And Sliders. And Charmed. But with the original cast.

And regarding Buffy – I would love to see Joss do an anthology cable series, each season about a different slayer in a different time period (with original characters popping in from time to time). Can someone email him this idea, please? Oh, and Charmed.

25. Chelsey says:

Charmed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Buffy/angel , dark angel.

26. Anthony says:

I’m a huge soap opera fan and I figure with the right channel and the right nurturing I would kill for a reboot of General Hospital:Night Shift or Falcon Crest or a primetime version of Dark Shadows.

27. Olivia says:

Buffy! With most if not all the original cast, the surviving new slayers (especially Kennedy & Vi) and some new faces. I’d go bankrupt with a huge smile on my face for this to happen haha ^^
    Angel could be cool but honestly without Cordelia, Fred, Wesley and Lorne that’s not a show I’d be interested in. And I’d rather have Spike on the Buffy side of the ‘verse anyway!
    If not the Buffyverse, Dollhouse would be a nice consolation! I know they tied up the loose ends but I’m sure there’s a way.
    I agree with V, I’d love to see it coming back.
    And I’d also love: Ally McBeal, Veronica Mars and The L Word.

28. Temperance says:

Most of the Whedon TV catalog – a new group on a Buffy-like show, and straight up recasts of Firefly and Dollhouse (which was awesome after it got rolling) because they were cancelled way, way too early. We NEED a new Stargate TV series (not a reboot). Wonder Woman. Jonny Sokko and The Flying Robot. Roswell. Space 1999. The Kindred. Quantum Leap (not necessarily a female lead, but a bit less fluffy). Battlestar Galactica (loved the Moore version, but a 8/9PM more kid-friendly version this time, more like a Stargate adventure).

29. Ashbash says:

I really really want to see a reboot of The Pretender

30. Pat says:

Surprised they haven’t done anything with Buffy or Angel yet. Forgot all about The Secret World of Alex Mac, enjoyed that as a kid.

Friday Night Lights continued would be great.

• Carla Krae says:

BTVS and Angel both have continued “seasons” in comic book form. The Angel ones were written better. Joss has both moved on and been too busy with other things. And the people with the rights to the Buffy movie were trying to do a reboot for a while, but their idea didn’t gain much traction due to no one wanting to see a Buffy thing without Joss involved.

31. Carla Krae says:

I love that “Angel” was mentioned!

32. Lyn says:

Some mysteries where the principal characters aren’t cops. Snoop Sisters, Hart To Hart, Mr. & Mrs. North, Simon & Simon etc.

33. Dennis says:

Omg thank you for mentioning ANGEL!!!!

34. Sheldon W. says:

Note to Lindsay Morgan: There’s a dark fan film version of Power Rangers on the interwebs. You should check that out.

And add Peter David & Bill Mumy’s Space Cases to the list (any show that could give Jewel Stait such a charming first lead role had to be something, after all!).

35. prish says:

Almost Human!

36. Blurgh says:

While anything honoring the Golden Girls is great, I don’t think that anyone can take the place of Bea Arthur, Estelle Getty, or Rue McClanahan.

But…if someone wanted to attempt it with the very best in comedy– Melissa McCarthy for one– I would support it.

• Blurgh says:

I also think Kelly Bishop would be great as Blanche! Melissa would be Rose (they’d just do some makeup to age her).

• Lyn says:

NOOOO! KB is more Dorothy than Blanche, a cynical New Yorker. Susan Sullivan as Blanche. Vicki Lawrence or Rhea Perlman as Sophia and Shelly Long as Rose.

• Blurgh says:

I don’t know. I can see Kelly playing the conceited oversexed Blance. I can see her having a New Yorker’s cynicism, but I don’t know if she can pull off the insecure, prone-to-latching- on- to- losers- like- Stan part that Bea could.

37. Marla says:

I’d reboot Hart to Hart and Remington Steele.

38. clinton says:

chuck cus i wanna know if the disney kiss worked

39. prish says:

STAR TREK !

40. Marla says:

So after seeing who would reboot what, I would absolutely agree with Tony Denison. I am not sure about a NY Rockford but Tony would be good if they did. I do think (with no offense to Tony) that Jon Tenney may make a good Rockford. Also…Quantum Leap. That was a fabulous show. I also agree with Yvette Nicole Brown about Golden Girls but you’d really need a caliber of actresses on that level and I think they already found them. The show was called Hot In Cleveland. Frasier too was a great show as was Mash. I think the comedies would be more difficult because along with the actors you’d have to find brilliant comedy writers and I’m sorry to say…there aren’t all that many today. I use to work on a show with the writers from 3rd Rock from the Sun. They were such good writers. There the ones who we need. I’ve gotten bored with most of the sitcoms on the 3 major networks. The ones on TVLand are actually better. JMHO.

• Eli says:

I miss good old fashioned comedies too like Frasier, Will and Grace, Golden Girls etc. Those were smart and a lot of thought went into the majority of their jokes.

Comedies nowadays mostly rely on silliness/absurdity or vulgarity/disgust as if that is funny by itself! On the other hand, you have a genre of comedies nowadays that is way too serious to be funny yet still called a comedy. (Not saying all comedies out there are bad, but the ones that make me laugh out loud are few and far between. The rest may induce a smirk every now and then)

41. Buffy was already a reboot of the movie :P

42. syvyn11 says:

A reboot of In the Heat of the Night. Just as the tv show showed how the ‘new’ south differed from the south portrayed in the movie, this can show the modern south.

43. Susan says:

I think ABC Family’s Higher Ground would be a great reboot. That show was so emotional and real that even with just one season it’s stuck with me. Way a head of it’s time and definitely didn’t get a real shot. Great, great show. Plus….Joe Lando!!!

• steven says:

It was on Fox Family, not ABC Family.

• Isableue says:

Not to mention the young actors who made their debut in this series: Hayden Christensen, AJ Cook, Meghan Ory, Jewel Staite. Great, great show, a series that didn’t have its chance. And icing on the cake ….. Joe Lando

44. Jim says:

The reboot/continuation of Dallas was serviceable, but I always thought they should have chosen its spin-off, Knots Landing, for the reboot treatment. It had better relatability, and of course longevity over its parent show. They could bring in a mix of original characters, children of the original characters (now adults), and some new characters…but have them still living in the cul-de-sac. I think the show would do well in 2015, as long as they don’t fall into the Melrose Place/Desperate Housewives trap of sensationalistic, over-the-top plotting and stick to more realistic plots and character-based drama.

45. A Fan of TV says:

Same as my answer to show gone too soon: I would absolutely revive Dead Like Me. They’re all still dead, and the movie didn’t exactly close the book on them for me. But I’d bring back Rube, even though his character presumably crossed over, because it’s not the same show without him.
    …I’m fully aware none of this is possible, but a girl can dream!

46. Dude says:

Tatiana’s idea is actually amazing. I’d watch that. I need more Veronica Mars and Buffy but I would also resurrect Grosse Point. Not necessarily as a 90210 spoof but I felt like the idea was ahead of its time and I’d love to see how it’d work today. Maybe as a riff on Glee or Empire.

47. murley says:

I read the Buffy and Angel/Angel and Faith comics so those feel like they have continued. I love the Fraggle Rock suggestion! Man I loved that show. Also a fan of dark Power Rangers. I saw that Internet movie trailer thing with James Van der Beek and Katee Sackhoff and it actually looked kind of amazing. Other than that- Dead like me and Pushing Daisies. And freaks and geeks.

48. christopher bee says:

Space: above and beyond for sure,i loved that dark scifi with important society and political issues.

And they´ve left us with that frakking cliffhanger.

49. graze says:

Any Quantum Leap reboot has to include an episode of mostly Scott Bakula’s story where we get to finally find out what really happened to him!

50. c'est moi says:

I’m sorry Jack Falahee, but they tried to remake Thundercats and it was not good.