SYTYCD Sexy Fish

Least Sexy Dance Ever? Will HBO Help or Hinder Big Bird? Was True Mystery an Afterthought? And More TV Qs!

We’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including Masters of Sex, Humans, Scream and Complications!

Killjoys1 | Do Killjoys’ John and Alvis look just a bit too much alike, at a quick glance?

2 | On Hannibal, was Bedelia’s hand down Neal’s throat the biggest plate of crazy on the menu? And does anyone want to take a crack at explaining what the bloody hell was going on there?

3 | Is Humans’ Mattie the coolest teenager on TV right this second? (Spoiler alert: Yes. Yes, she is!) And were you as surprised as we were to see the show salvage Max back from the river?

4 | After Sunday’s Masters of Sex, are you fully convinced that a Masters/Betty buddy comedy would be the best spinoff idea? How guilty did you feel for cheering on Bill when he scared the literal piss out of the brat who’d been bullying his son? And as much as everyone hates Tessa, Masters of Sex Tessa Hatedon’t you also have to give her credit for the clever way that she tipped off Grandma to Virginia and Bill’s affair? Finally, can someone please tell us exactly what became of Robert?

5 | Didn’t the resolution of True Detective‘s central mystery — Who killed Ben Caspere? — seem like an afterthought in the season finale? And if you could give HBO one note for (a possible) Season 3, what would it be?

6 | Last Ship fans: “Hooray!” or nay on Rachel coldly killing Niels, albeit in the name of the greater good? On a related note: Which beautiful, accented epidemiologist TheStrain_Norafrom Sunday-night TV would you want manning the beakers during an outbreak: Rachel or The Strain‘s Nora?

7 | Did you feel duped by Food Network Star serving up pilots for all three of its current finalists that wasted the guys’ kitchen skills and relegated them to the role of culinary tour guides? That said, who’s your pick to win: Dom, Jay or Eddie?

8 | Can’t Falling Skies‘ 2nd Mass cross paths with some kindly people, for once? And how damn squicky was it when that Army brat pried the spike from Ben’s back?

9 | Can you think of a routine from So You Think You Can Dance‘s 12-season history that was more unfortunate than Monday’s “sexy fish” burlesque? And did your inner feminist die a little when Paula Abdul suggested Megz could only be sexier by wearing tighter pants?

10 | Good point, TVLine reader LK: Why hasn’t The Fosters‘ Callie been living with her dad instead of in a group home?Pretty Little Lairs

12 | Didn’t [spoiler]’s gruesome Scream death feel like something out of the Saw film franchise?

13 | Prior to this week’s Zoo, did you know that bears travel in sleuths? And is this summertime series getting just bananas enough (bulletproof Yogi!!!) that you’re kinda wanting a Season 2?

14 | Did seeing Troian Bellisario back on Suits have you imagining that Pretty Little Liars’ Spencer is now a lawyer in the flash-forward? (But really, would Claire ask if Rachel’s “Mike Ross” is the same one she once knew, since after all it seems like a common name?) Also, how do the assorted secret-keepers have no “code word” around the office yet for “Mike isn’t a lawyer”? Since everyone regularly talks about it just feet from hallways?

15 | Which Impastor writer is the Grey’s Anatomy fan, making Alexa’s real name “Christina Burke”?

16 | New Sesame Street episodes premiering on HBO: Does the saving of the iconic kids’ series outweigh the nine-month delay for “free” PBS viewers?

17 | Will you watch all… four… parts… of any Chicago Fire/Chicago PD/Law & Order: SVU/Chicago Med crossover eventpalooza?

Graceland18 | Does Graceland‘s phone charging pad win this week’s award for Clumsiest Product Integration?

19 | Did Mistresses‘ Joss-Scott/Sliding Doors fantasy sequence make you wistful for their shiny-happy relationship — or just confirm their chemistry never would’ve lasted for a free spirit like Joss?

20 | Did you frankly see the big Complications death coming, given that actor’s recently announced series regular role elsewhere?

21 | Rookie Blue fans, who do you feel worse for now that Steve has been exposed as a dirty cop: his girlfriend Traci or his sister Gail?

samsung-commercial22 | Don’t you get the feeling the washing machine commercial lady was supposed to make a more tragic mess than this? Having dumped such a large coffee?

1. robandco says:

11. That has to be the worst CGI of any show ever right? Even worse than anything OUAT-related or even that terrible helicopter scene on the rooftop in Grey’s Anatomy… How can that have passed any ABC Family executive approval?

• BrittBrat says:

10. The Fosters: It never crossed my mind. I forgot about the fathers.

11. Pretty Little Liars: Yes the CGI was really bad. Even the part when she was talking to the liars was cheap looking. Let’s just pretend like this finale didn’t happen.

17. NBC Crossovers: Yes because I watch 3 of them already. What’s one more?

19. Mistresses: Joss and Scott wouldn’t have worked out. I didn’t care for the who Scott/Joss thing. The real question should be: What does April see in Blair? April needs to pick Daniel. They have sparks that her and the other 2 guys don’t have. Plus I can’t stand Blair and the other guy is super annoying. I hope Lucy tells April the truth about Blair.

• Jon says:

11. I agree. Let’s just pretend this finale never happened. Much rather pretend it got cancelled before we found out who A is. Or just pretend it was Toby from season 3.

• Julia says:

19. There’s no truth to be told about Blair…Lucy is a snorty brat and for once she has an adult who can put her into line. April is also a terrible mother who cannot discipline her own kid…

• Win says:

No, robandco, not quite the worst. Pretty Little Liars was pretty bad in that scene, but there’s still always gonna be the speedboat scene from the Ringer pilot. TVLine knows what I’m talking about.

• robandco says:

I watched the pilot back when it aired but I didn’t make it to the end). I just watched that scene on Youtube (I googled Ringer Speed Boat Pilot and found something). They had no budget whatsoever for that scene right?

2. Mare says:

Killjoys: no, Johnny and Alvis don’t look alike to me. In that silhouette photo, they’re not even the same height!

Zoo: I definitely want another season!

• Tenney says:

Killjoys: Anytime Alvis first shows up in a scene, I do think it’s Johnny dressed up like a monk, but then as the scene plays on I can see the difference. They do bear a striking similarity to each other.

3. Laura says:

5. The main complaint I had about this season was that they were too many main characters and too many non-intersecting storylines that they desperately tried to piece together. I think that’s why the big Caspere reveal felt like such an afterthough…by the time you found out who killed him, you probably vaguely remembered the guy and probably barely remembered why Caspere was important to begin with.

• BrittBrat says:

This. I couldn’t remember who Caspere was and why he was important to the story. This show had so many side stories going on and the main story wasn’t very interesting.

• RD says:

That was the problem for me. The whole murder mystery was secondary to what was going on in the characters lives. Most of the time,when it came to the murder,I had no idea what was going on.

4. LADY_in_MD says:

Paula doesn’t like girls who are a little masculine in what they wear just like Nigel doesn’t like guys who aren’t masculine enough in their dancing
    The fish dance was the worst I felt so bad for those girls

• mljames656 says:

I always ff through Paula’s comments, so I missed what she said, but I did hate those pants on Megz. Not because they weren’t feminine, but because they were high-waisted geriatric monstrosities. If that’s the only thing the show’s costumer can come up with for a girl who’s not going to be in a sexy-sailor outfit, maybe they should just let the dancers dress themselves.

And yeah, “fish burlesque” needs to be filed under Terrible Ideas and never spoken of again.

• bjohns says:

File this with the polka routine. Let’s not invite this group back. They need to refer to Ray Leeper’s burlesque with that pole for some good TV. I think Paula was trying not to say Megz outfit was horrid. I’m sure she could have pulled off leggings and a sexy top or anything better than tailored hammer pants.

5. Helvetica says:

Every single time I confuse them. The first time I saw Alvis, I thought it was Johnny in a disguise.

• Kate says:

I thought Alvis was played by Aaron Ashmores twin Shawn Ashmore. Didn’t realise Alvis was played by Morgan Kelly until I Googled it.

6. Christine says:

10. Because her dad has technically already given up his parental rights so that she can be adopted so they would have to go through a legal process to get him rights to foster her for even just a couple weeks. That’s why she told Brandon that hopefully she can live with her dad. They would have to get that reversed by the judge if she’s not longer getting adopted.
    Plus there is the fact that she wanted to stay with Rita and now be at Girls United so she can get to the bottom of this whole who hit Carmen thing.

7. Mamie S. says:

9. Season 5 Russian folk dance with Jeanine and Phillip. But I’d call it a tie. In all cases, you could see the dancers dying inside as the performances went on.

• Shar says:

I agree.. I always feel so sorry for the dancers when they get stuck with such a poorly conceived routine.. only made so much worse by their costumes.

• Sally C. says:

I think the fish dance was so bad because the dancers seemed a bit clueless re: burlesque style. I think they should have watched some videos to help them get into the correct frame of mind. Maybe props would have helped rather than just squirming on the floor. As for Megz’s costume, I thought the pants just seemed out of place. They reminded me of “Mom pants”. I think something a little slinkier, not necessarily tighter–shimmery fabric or something that just didn’t look like slacks from a 1980’s pantsuit. The Russian folk dance was definitely memorable. I saw it on tour and they killed it!

• Mmex says:

I thought the red pants looked like they were part of a marching band costume. They don’t have to be tight to be sexy, just not those pants. I agree, better fabric would have helped. But it really grates my cheese when the judges get on the dancers about the costumes. That is not their decision! Blame the choregrapher and the costume department.

8. Television says:

1. Killjoys, they look nothing alike. Best show ever.
    3. Humans, I think all the kids are annoying. The mom is cool. And Max is the best so he better get fixed.
    11. Pretty Little Liars, that whole episode was so awful. It wins the award for worst tv ever. Please just rewrite it and pretend it didnt happen. I think it is a jump shark moment fast forwarding 5 years.
    17. Chicago Fire, I only watch it. The others are snooze fest.
    18. Graceland, I think product placements are terrible. Make me want the product by the characters normally using it and I will seek it out, wanting it myself. Don’t be a commercial.

-best tv shows right now are Killjoys and Darkmatter.

9. Mr. Tran K says:

Wasn’t very happy about the news that Sesame Street is moving from PBS after four and a half decades to HBO. This would hurt even more to put a family friendly series to HBO that involving adult friendly shows like Game of Thrones, Girls and Last Week Tonight with John Oliver among others.

• Elf says:

Sesame Street is NOT MOVING. Think of them as just having a new vacation home they visit a lot, but the address hasn’t changed. New episodes will air on HBO first, then show on PBS later. All that means is there will be a dearth of new episodes on PBS for a while, but the three to five year olds who watch will not notice the difference. They could show episodes from the 70’s and the only difference the kids would notice is that the clothes looked funny, and of course, the absence of Elmo.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I like your thinking, Elf!

• Miffy says:

There’s been dearth of new episodes on PBS for years. They only produced 18 episodes last season. So that means that over 48 weeks of the show were reruns on PBS. This doesn’t really make a difference at all.

• Meri says:

I don’t have a problem with the deal, I just don’t understand the 9 month wait. Why can’t it be 2 months or something. It seems like a long wait.

• Elf says:

Oh, one more thing: There are multiple HBO channels. There’s classic HBO, HBO Comedy, HBO Family, etc. I’m sure nobody will ever have to worry about children seeing anything inappropriate before or after Sesame Street.

10. Nicole says:

#17: ABSOLUTELY NOT. They really need to stop with these crossovers! I would rather skip the episode of SVU (yes, I still watch it), than have to watch 2 or 3 more shows that I have no interest in.

• NP says:

I agree! I don’t watch PD and can’t be bothered to now when it’s crossover time. Announcing ahead of time that there will be crossovers makes me less likely to even check out Med. Do these crossovers really help ratings that much?

• cg313 says:

I’ve skipped the SVU episodes that crossover with the Chicago shows. Will do the same when they do it with the new show. I know it’s to get people to kind of probably watch something new but to me it’s kind of an annoyance.

11. herman1959 says:

17) The SVU part of the crossover is always the least believable. Plus, doesn’t Benson have enough to worry about?

12. Cornelius says:

I cringed at that CGI scene in PLL. That was around season 3 I believe, the season Marlene said she “knew the plan” for CeCe being A. So why not shoot some scenes then, a lot of shows have done that before planning ahead.

13. Kim says:

17: Hell yes to all of them. I love the 3 current shows and I’m excited for Chicago Med.

14. Gilded Lady says:

7. I was pissed. Why have them cook and insist on a POV just to relegate them to glorified hosts? What a waste of time.

17. Yes. After the initial delay it’ll essentially be seamless. And twice the eps per season is even better.

15. Rster says:

Season 3 (or so) of SYTYCD had a routine with 2 female dancers as a fox and her kit. Definitely more awkward than the fish routine. The Russian folk dance was also horrific.

For Zoo has anyone else noticed just how ridiculous the entire concept of what is causing this is. A “mother cell” also described once as a vector….that somehow ends up in drugs that are completely synthesized in the lab for raw chemicals. If a show wants to base an entire show concept on a scientific principle they should at least pretend that they have made it realistic.

16. Ian says:

2. I’ll take a shot at explaining. Hannibal had brainwashed Neal into having his tongue-choking disorder, and so he was a plant for Bedelia in testing her killer instinct so to speak. Her reaching her hand down his throat was just a visual metaphor for her literally killing him or helping him die, because she was quite capable of just unobstructing his airway. And the circumstances made the incident undetectable as a murder.
    On another note though, Armitage is award-worthy as Dolarhyde, and the tiger scene! He’s a serial killer, but you actually root for him and Reba and for him to be happy and not homicidal, lol.

17. Jon says:

5. Notes for HBO about season 3? Sure. How about you don’t add as many characters. Literally, throughout the season, I had no idea who the people that were being mentioned were. I was so lost. Add one central mystery and would much rather have it focus on the personal lives of the detectives rather than adding more mysteries and messing it all up.

18. Steve says:

12. In regards to scream i’m going to guess that the killer is the child of Brandon James and Emma’s Mom, who is torturing Emma because she is the killers half sister and was accepted bu there mother unlike the killer. My guess, therefore, comes down to Seth Branson, who has blonde hair like emma and is around the age that a child of Brandon James would be, as the killer.

19. Lizo says:

the Last Ship: Rachel killing Neils was soooo good. He needed to die so bad, and for her to be the one to do it felt right; he destroyed the planet, she saved it, she kills the disease and it’s maker. It was very poetic and was a great character development moment for her. To kill is against everything she believes in, her sworn oath as a doctor…and she did it because it was just. I’m really excited to see where this takes her (and the crew).

• I am holding my breath for this sunday – when you see Chandler talking to someone in the previews saying that someone was going to pay for their crimes…. I am HOPING it’s not Rachel he is talking to

20. Spence says:

I’ve never even seen the Last Ship and I know I would prefer her over Nora from the Strain, seeing as how Nora is the biggest idiot on the planet and shouldve died in the first episode.

21. RDT says:

Nothing about Mr. Robot?

22. Kate says:

Until looking it up I assumed that Alvis was played by Aaron Ashmores twin Shawn Ashmore…huh.

23. Tom says:

~

The people on that farm seemed kindly to me, for the most part. Granted that was just Tom and not the entire 2nd Mass but yeah.
    ~
    ~
    Well, I’m not certain kids would quite grasp the intricacies of tv schedules and rights, so really would they know any different?
    ~
    ~
    I consider SVU to be amongst the most disgusting shows on TV and I have no interest in of those four shows so no, It’d have to be a crossover with………I can’t think of any NBC shows I’m currently invested with since Community left and Parks and Rec ended. Oh yeah, Undatable. And isn’t that Blindspot show on NBC? And I’m only interested in that because of Jaime Alexander so….
    ~
    ~
    I don’t quite understand the point of the commercial. She wants to wash her shirt in her friend’s new washer? Or is she coming on to her friend?

24. arial2 says:

13. – I thought we might have found a reason to root for “people” instead of “animals” by now. So far, we’ve proved unworthy of considering ourselves the top of the chain. If we’re “superior” we wouldn’t need to prove our worth by killing for pleasure. But, being human, I really have a problem with those cockroach and snake species…

25. 11 | Was this bit of flashback CGI supposed to make it look like CeCe was watching the Pretty Little Liars through the coffee shop window? Because it didn’t. And which of the gals was stuck in the most unflattering dress for the hour?

I saw that and was like, “That doesn’t look right.” Plus, weren’t they all wearing costumes?

17 | Will you watch all… four… parts… of any Chicago Fire/Chicago PD/aw & Order: SVU/Chicago Med crossover eventpalooza?

Sure, I’ll watch just to see how they pull it off.

Kinda didn’t see it coming, but it makes sense. I’m glad they save Antoine.

Gail because she had to choose between family and helping to put her brother away. Peck family pressure (Peckspectations).

26. gts says:

11. Was that your only question about PLL? Nothing about the inconsistencies regarding when Toby’s mother died, how old Wilden is, of about the disappointments of the portrayal of a trans character, or just the general disappointment of most fans?

27. Nina says:

RE: Robert on Masters of Sex

I haven’t seen ANY reviewers mention him or the implications in season 3’s episode 1 that he was the victim of a hit and run.

In the “Previously On,” it mentioned Robert and Libby’s dalliance and how she said that was what she wanted. Next, it showed Libby driving by the scene of an accident where a black man had been hit by a car.

Over the next hour of the show, it was clear that Libby was no longer in contact with Robert, but she seemed even more jealous of Bill and Virginia’s relationship. More interesting was her total flipout when Virginia’s son was hit by a car. Libby words and actions in that situation somewhat insinuated that she had lost someone she loved dearly to a similar accident.

My guess is, that’s what happened to Robert, and she’s been on antidepressants ever since.

• Dr. Phage says:

Robert wasn’t the one hit. In one of the later episodes it mentioned that he was being asked to come to Montgomery (I believe) to help more directly with the cause. So my understanding is that took precedence over anything else. One more example of work trumping personal for poor Libby.

28. lame says:

You know it’s the dog days of summer, when Matt has the time to run a compilation of every series on TV.

29. Mike C. says:

The SYTYCD Polish dance with Philip and Janine was worse than the burlesque fish number. But not by much.

30. Sheldon W. says:

Hmmm… In the Suits premiere, Mike Ross passed the bar. Doesn’t that make him a ‘real lawyer?’ Just wondering…

31. maregolden says:

#1 Alvis and Johnny, I actually thought for a minute that it was his real life twin brother playing the part of Alvis.