Sesame Street HBO Deal

Sesame Street, HBO Deal Means More Episodes, and Also Benefits PBS

The non-profit Sesame Workshop and HBO have struck a deal through which the next five seasons of Sesame Street will premiere on the pay cabler, HBO GO, HBO On Demand and HBO NOW.

Now before Big Bird squawks, know this: As a result of the partnership, Sesame Street will be able to produce nearly twice as much new content and, for the first time ever, make the show available for free to PBS and its member stations, nine months after episodes debut on HBO.

Also as part of the deal, Sesame Workshop will produce a Sesame Street Muppet spinoff series as well as a new educational series for children. HBO has also licensed over 150 past episodes of Sesame Street and approximately 50 episodes each of Pinky Dinky Doo and The Electric Company.

“Our new partnership with HBO represents a true winning public-private partnership model,” Sesame Workshop CEO Jeffrey D. Dunn said in a statement. “It provides Sesame Workshop with the critical funding it needs to be able to continue production of Sesame Street and secure its nonprofit mission of helping kids grow smarter, stronger and kinder; it gives HBO exclusive pay cable and SVOD access to the nation’s most important and historic educational programming; and it allows Sesame Street to continue to air on PBS and reach all children, as it has for the past 45 years.”

New episodes of Sesame Street will make their HBO debut as early as late fall 2015.

1. ggny says:

Does this mean Bert and Ernie are the new leads for True Detective season 3?

2. Lauren says:

This is cool but I’m wondering it affects their deal with Amazon Prime. Elmo is very important in this household and a big perk of our Prime membership.

3. Joey says:

Sesame Street truly is one of the greatest educational shows ever created. Anything they do that can expand their brand is good in my book.

• Andrea says:

Joey, I agree with you, but one of the great benefits and legacies of Sesame Street has been that it is high-quality content that is freely available to anyone who has a TV. I know that PBS will get the episodes, but…nine months later? That’s quite a long time. I’d feel better about this if it were something like 2-3 months instead of 9.

• Bob says:

I know what you mean about the delay. The uses of the letter “D” and the number “4” are evolving by the minute.

4. Herb Flynn says:

So if the PBS member stations will get the show Free after the window, who gets the tax write off?

5. Tony Lang says:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make Guy Smiley co-host with John Oliver on Last Week Tonight!!!!

6. ninamags says:

I know I’m late to the party but I see a huge problem with this.

I grew up on SS. So did my nephews. We couldn’t afford cable for years and we were able to enjoy this amazing show for free. Now it appears you have to pay to get it?

That’s bullcrap. I guess everybody will have to get used to the re-runs. I bet the shows that are 5, 10 or hell, even 15 years old are still going to be better than the new episodes. Maria is gone as well, so …..whatever.

• Doug says:

“As a result of the partnership, Sesame Street will be able to produce nearly twice as much new content and, for the first time ever, make the show available for free to PBS and its member stations, nine months after episodes debut on HBO.”

7. Danny Craig says:

When will it start? Can’t wait! Will there be the number of the day and letter of the day still?

8. bianca says:

Its not on my verizon fios on demand were do i find sesame street i have a frantic 2 year old and mom and dad who needs elmo asap…