Fall TV Preview
NCIS Renewed for Season 14

NCIS Preview: Gibbs' Shooting Triggers a 'Fundamental' Tonal Shift for Series

NCIS vet Michael Weatherly wouldn’t be the first to suggest that the CBS drama’s May finale perhaps didn’t leave everyone guessing as to the fate of team leader Leroy Jethro Gibbs, who in the closing moments got shot — twice — by a terrorist network’s very young recruit.

“I don’t think anyone thought that was going to be Cliffhanger of the Year, because obviously he’s coming back,” DiNozzo’s portrayer told TVLine earlier this week. “It’s more about how he comes back, how that impacts the team, and what the ramifications are.”

Rocky Carroll, who plays Vance, echoes that viewpoint, while raising another provocative question: “It’s funny, because people say, ‘If Gibbs goes, so goes the show. So he’s got to survive.’ To which I say, ‘Yeah, but will he be the same?'”

Because make no mistake, that second bullet from The Calling’s Luke hit Boss bad. That was no through-and-through, no mere flesh wound. (“He got popped,” Carroll asserts.) And Season 13 will pick up on Sept. 22 mere moments after that gun shot, with no less than Alan Harper aka Jon Cryer ultimately summoned to save the day, as a badass Navy surgeon.

“It’s really all in the hands of one of the Two and a Half Men,” Brian Dietzen observes. “He’s going to be doing his darndest to save Gibbs’ life!”

Six thousand miles away in D.C., meanwhile, Palmer, Bishop et al are “scrambling, trying to make sure everything’s OK, that Gibbs is solid,” Emily Wickersham reports. “We’re also trying to put a stop to [the larger terrorist threat] as soon as we can. The kid is stopped, but The Calling is no joke.”

Yet even in success, there may be limits to what Cryer’s Dr. Taft can pull off. “It’s going to be interesting to see what the hell happens with Gibbs this year, because that’s the type of thing that can change someone pretty significantly,” Dietzen notes. “Getting shot by a child is pretty nasty, and pretty momentous. But this season our writers have pulled together one of their most cohesive plans in a long time.”

And where might that plan take the original NCIS team?

“I think what we’re going to have this year,” Weatherly ventures, “is a fundamental shift in the show — and that’s a fascinating thing to see,” 13 well-watched seasons in. “I don’t want to give away too much, but I think the audience will respond with great interest to some of the tonal changes.”

There may be changes in responsibility within the big orange room, as well, depending on Gibbs’ condition coming out of the delicate surgery. “This plotline could serve a lot of purposes,” Carroll hints, “and really allow the characters to kind of come into who they really are, or who they’ve been working toward becoming.” Citing McGee, for one, as a “computer geek” who evolved into “a  very good agent,” he says, “All of those things are going to come into play, all spawned from Gibbs being shot.”

McGee himself, Sean Murray, joins in the tease-filled chorus, warning, “A lot of people are going to be surprised by what’s coming up.

“A lot of older shows tend to figure out where their ‘safe place’ is and stay there,” the actor continues. “We, though, like to keep things moving, so this is going to be a really interesting year.”

Want more scoop on NCIS, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Joni says:

I’m practically jumping up and down in my chair! It’s definitely a brave thing for a show to do at this age and I can’t wait for it to get started. Thanks for all the quotes from Michael, Rocky, Emily, Sean and Brian.

• Terry says:

I’m with you. I can’t wait to see what they have planned for Season 13. Everyone in the current cast has the chops to pull off anything. Kudos for changing things up this late in the game.

• Darlene says:

I’m with you, too! I love that we’ll see some changes in tone this year. We got a preview of that in the slightly harder edge to the last 3 episodes of season 12. And even earlier last season with Parental Guidance. I love how the actors are chiming in with enthusiasm. It sounds like they’ll have some fun with the changes in dynamics. Every actor likes new challenges and shaking things up will bring that. I’m very excited! Bring on Season 13!

2. My one question and comment is what it has been for the past 2 seasons. WILL COTE BE RETURNING AS A REGULAR, OR NOT? If not none of all the garbage you have been talking about is just that GARBAGE, and I will no longer be interested in NCIS or any of its counter parts. THANK YOU!!!!!!!

• ndixit says:

Well then good bye and good riddance. The show is more than one cast member and if you are just watching for Cote then clearly you are not an NCIS fan.

• Lunatic_Fringe says:

What is so difficult to understand that Cote made a choice for herself. Not for her ungrateful “fans” who quite frankly don’t act like they care about her at all, just a character she played. She might show up as a guest star and then again she might not. But all of this feet stomping and tantrum throwing the last two years makes the BBC crowd look like petulant children that had their toy taken away. You don’t want to watch it, that’s your choice, just don’t expect the entire fandom to feel the same way despite what a small minority on facebook wants to think.

Very much looking forward to this new season and what is to come with everyone, INCLUDING Bishop.

• Dean says:

dogs like to bark bro.

• sanchopanza says:

These are probably the same people who are determined that Emily Prentiss has to return to Criminal Minds.

• Cote left because CBS didn’t negotiate, and she was replaced with a terrible replacement, Bishop. Yuck! When Bishop came to the show, Gibbs got neutered and the chemistry between the cast took a huge hit. Sorry, but those of us who hate Bishop have good reason. She really stinks as an agent and brings nothing to the series. If she left tomorrow, she wouldn’t be missed. With Cote, the loss of her character hurt. She was a much of the “A Team” as the rest of the cast and was part of the great chemistry the cast of NCIS had from Seasons 1-10.

• JC1 says:

Do you mean seasons 3-10? She wasn’t there the first two seasons – she replaced Sasha Alexander.

• Sky says:

Ziva, a great character I agree. The writers wrote that character. The casting people made a great choice. However Ziva is a Character, a creation of the writers creativity.
          The actress is Acting the role, brilliantly I might add. The actors are not the characters
          they portray. I know several people that have excellent chemistry on screen yet do not like
          each other as people they want to befriend at the end of the day. Bishop is a product of the writers creation as well. The Bishop character is not meant to be a
          reproduction of Ziva. Bishop is a great character. I think she is perfect. Once again, I feel that the writers did a brilliant job as did casting and the actress that brought Bishop to life.
          I like the Bishop character and the actress. As my old Dad used to say: If we all bet on the same horse, there would be no horse races.

• Cathy jones says:

I agree they are a character on a TV show. Just as Ziva’s character was created after Kate character died. People will unfortunately ALWAYS whine and cry about Ziva’s part being eliminated. If you don’t like the show as is DONT WATCH IT.

• Tracy says:

Actually it was made pretty clear that CBS tried to negotiate. Cote wanted to do other things and decided not to return.

• Cathy jones says:

CBS wanted to change it up after the Ziva saga ended. They wanted a married agent on NCIS so they went with Emily and Jaime. They wanted more NSA involvement in their show. The character who played Ziva had NOTHING to do with the way the show moved. They had no intention of hooking up Tony with Ziva.

• venita says:

Tottaly agree with you.

• Joyce L says:

Agreed. Bishop is the same as having no one there. Yuck, yuck, what a blank she is.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Well, that was rational.

• Joni says:

I’m sorry all your NCIS related articles seem to come down to this, Matt.

• Maria says:

Right?? It’s like we can’t even get through ONE article about NCIS without having to hear about Ziva from some fan that just won’t get it through their heads that she’s gone!!

• Pat says:

They should have just killed her like they did Kate, then that would shut up any return crap these nuts keep spitting out.

• Liz says:

Great article, Matt. So good to get more than a snippet about this show. I join others in apologizing for the Ziva fanatics. They sooo need to get over it.

• Angela says:

….yeeeeeeeah, if you haven’t heard anything within the last two years that stated she would definitely return as a regular, that should’ve probably given you a massive clue regarding the answer to your question by now.

• Leia says:

You need to chill,and get an intervention pill. Cote will never be a regular because she doesn’t want to be a regular any more . Your lack of respect for her decision is disturbing.

• Donna2712 says:

Wow, what a mature and rational comment. You do the fans, and Cote herself, proud!

• Dean says:

Unless you’re new to this subject of discussion Gloria I will put this in a a way a primitive bonehead like you can understand COTE DEPABLO WANTED AND CHOSE TO LEAVE NCIS before you say your well rehearsed line of they should have offered her more money or givien the time she wanted I ask you,do you know his for a fact did Cote tell you this herself while you went clubbing together? no? then shut up I dont what awful thing has happened to your life Mommy and daddy could be ignoring you the bullies at school are giving you problems or if you didn’t drink coffee this morning I don’t judge. But belittling other people’s interests especially for a show you just so you can get some sick twisted sense of pride is utterly sad.

• Dean says:

the only GARBAGE is your disturbing mentality that you and the few cote fans believe you are homoring Cote by talking smack to the cast crew and people who work on a show just to get by. Honestly Cote would be horrorfied by the stuff you said in her name. People like you are the GARBAGE.

• Oh, please – you don’t think she knows EXACTLY what they’re saying and doing? By her own words, she checks social media every morning.

• lindylou says:

Not necessarily – she said she checks the “Internet” every morning. Thank goodness the Internet is made up of more than social media and fan sites – or it truly would be a cesspool — to use Ducky’s word.

• Point taken, Lindylou. I thought she said she checked social media, but I was mistaken.

I still think she knows, but that’s just my feeling/opinion on it.

• Lindy says:

I’m sorry, have you been in a coma for the past two years? Up your meds, the hamster is skidding off the wheel again……

• Jerri says:

Your question has already been answered, Cote is not coming back as a regular anytime soon. If she ever does return to the show, TV|Line will report on it. If you don’t like the answer, feel free to stop watching the show and continue living in the past. Unless someone is holding a gun to your head forcing to watch this ‘garbage’ as you so eloquently put it.

• Pete says:

de Pablo has said in several interviews that she has had enough of the level of commitment required in filming a show like NCIS with 24 episodes a year.
      After giving 8 years of her life to us/NCIS she has chosen to move on to do some of the new, different and interesting things that she wants to do with her career, so she will not be returning as a regular.

Does that answer your question?

And, no, you don’t have to continue watching the show if you no longer enjoy it without her character, nor do you need to waste your time following the show on social media any longer.

• Would you like some cheese to go with that w(h)ine?

• Big Willy says:

Don’t let the door hits ya where the good Lord split ya !

• lynnea1 says:

Oh seriously, Gloria! One person does not a team make! There’s so much more to this show than Ziva. Surely you can see that!

• Kim says:

Silva was awesome, but she chose to leave! If she comes back I will be ecstatic, but to leave the show? NOT

3. prish says:

The husband feels NCIS has gotten lost, over the years, wandering away from the team and teamwork emphasis. He feels NCIS-LA has retained the mood, much better. I am not interested in plotting that has the kid, actually, the one that shot Gibbs. CBS suits, you have your warning from some of your viewers, here.

• Leia says:

You mean one of their fans. Do not presume to speak for others. Doubt that Luke will be a factor ongoing. It’s what he did to Gibbs that will be . I

• prish says:

Sorry for the misunderstanding, meaning my husband and I as the “some of your viewers”. I should have said a couple of viewers. ooops

• Joyce L says:

Make that at least 3 viewers. They used to consider one response equaled about 1,000 that did not respond. In this case it probably equals a lot more. And, I notices here in many cases the only way many of you have to respond to the writer is to insult them personally…and how do you know what kind of a jerk I am in REAL LIFE?

• localhost says:

Although prish does not speak for others, we can assume that there are many others who feel the same way. I, too, felt Gibbs was neutered this season. Bishop even mentions it! One thing I did like was that making the cute new female lead married, it removes any sexual tension from the table. That is kinda unique.

• MP says:

NCIS has grown stale for me over the past few years and I’ve grown to love NCIS LA a lot more than NCIS. I love the chemistry and banter among the NCIS LA cast. I’m looking forward to seeing what’s in store for NCIS this season and if it will feel less stale to me. I do love Mark Harmon.

• Joy says:

I watch NCIS LA and NCIS New Orleans, but -for me- they can never take the place of NCIS. They are a caring family and Gibbs is the patriarch. Frequently on the other shows some of the actors sound like they are acting. It’s not always a natural feeling. My opinion….

• Pete says:

The whole teamwork emphasis was lost many seasons ago with the emphasis on pairing two particular characters together all the time, and with one of the ‘team’ so obviously not wanting to be a team player.
      It’s not back to where it was originally but there has been far more of a team feel to the shows in the last couple of years.
      And I can understand that certain storylines might not appeal to you, there have been a number of recurring storylines that they have used in the past, that I have found to be rather boring, but there is always something with this show of interest in every episode.

• Darlene says:

I miss the time when the whole team would go down to Abby’s lab to hear/discuss the information. Those were always fun. That rarely happens now, but when it does, I cheer. Still, like said, it feels more like a team these days.
        I don’t love every single story NCIS does, but I love this show, and I gotta say that here we are going into Season 13 and I haven’t been this excited for the new season to start since the Season 6 and 7 premieres!

4. Sherri says:

It sounds like things may be changing in several ways this season. I can’t wait to see what’s in store!

5. as524 says:

Cautiously excited….

Haven’t been happy with the show being so overly focused on Gibbs as if he was the only cast member the last few seasons. Even during the early seasons when it seemed like most of the cast got a ‘one and done’ ep once a year where they were the focal point, it seemed the show did a better job of showcasing all of the team’s talents and importance than they’ve done of late.

Here’s hoping that the quotes aren’t just TCA ‘lips service’ and that there is a lasting change.

6. Voyuese says:

No, no, no, no, no. Don’t want tonal changes. Want ‘safe place’.

• Leia says:

There is no safe place!!

• Joni says:

For me when characters don’t grow and change the show becomes a caricature of itself, more of a cartoon where characters & situations never change. Kudos to everyone at ‘NCIS’ for being willing to take this leap of faith.

7. Pete says:

Bring it on, I’m really looking forward to season 13. :)

8. Jerry says:

We really don’t want to lose Gibbs. Gibbs goes we go!

9. Mel says:

If this means that the show plans to sharpen the focus and get back to the more classic NCIS roots, then great. But it seems to me the show has already suffered a huge “tonal change” since Gary Glasburg took over, taking the focus off the team and putting it on a never-ending parade of guest stars, dulling the once-sharp dialog, and making Gibbs distant and dismissive where his team is concerned. I’m trying to stay positive, because I love the show and cast, but so much damage has been done to the characters already. And I really hope they have more in mind for Tony this season than having a falling out with Gibbs and Jimmy. I’ll keep an open mind and wait and see.

10. Mel says:

Forgot to say, thank you for the article and info.

11. prish says:

The husband has been sooo tired of the terrorist threat plots for a long time. I’m tired of hearing him gripe. Can’t we, please, have NCIS back the way it used to be?

• Dean says:

‘Tired of hearing him gripe’ just like were tired of hearing pissy and dissatisfied viewers like you who still watch regardless of claiming to no longer like it. Also I find it funny you always say these thoughts of your alleged husband, we know this is just you whining.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Dean, this is your last warning: DIAL IT DOWN. –Mgmt.

• prish says:

Oh, this is funny, and I am flattered you remember my posts and think I have the talent to create an alleged character. Nope, the husband is at my elbow, “What? Alleged husband…I’m supposed to be a fantasy? How dare them…”, voice trailing off as he watches a Mentalist rerun.

• Leia says:

Its been about terrorism since the pilot and Yankee White. They don’t do it exclusively but these are bad times,and the show has to reflect that.

• Joni says:

^ This.
        The terrorism stories for ‘NCIS’ have been going on even further back than ‘Yankee White’ – the introduction on ‘JAG’ dealt with Gibbs team (the man himself, Tony & Viv) dealing with a terrorist.

12. Dee says:

The interesting story in all this is Gibbs got duped! By a kid no less. Surely that will factor into his mental recovery. Over the years we have seen Gibbs not always make the best decisions with whom to trust. I think this will lead the show back to its core focus. Crimes, and who better to lead the team but Tony. Gibbs told Jenny once When DiNozzo ready for a team we

• graze says:

What did Gibbs say to Jenny, “…ready for a team we…..???” Don’t stop there. Now I need to know about NiNozzo.

• The quote from the episode ‘Singled Out’ (when Jenny offers Tony Rota and tries to get Gibbs to stop being an ass towards him) is “Oh trust me, when DiNozzo thinks he’s ready for his own team, you’ll know about it. Hell, the whole world will know about it!” I hated that line, and disliked Gibbs and the rest of the team in that episode for several reasons.

13. Steve Cohn says:

Look forward to Season 13, but they still have a BIG FLAW!! That’s Witherspoon,she stinks as an actress and ruins the show’s main characters. That’s why the ratings have fallen ever since she came on the scene. Get her off and the ratings improve greatly.

• Ann says:

Gotta agree here, Steve. She’s a big black hole for me. I actually like her husband more than I like her, and I think it’s the actress more than the character, I’m sorry to say.

• Gina says:

Oh so true about the Bishop character. I support a strong woman character and she isn’t the one. Her character has been force fed to the NCIS fans WAY too much, as if to tell us, You know you like her, here she’s really been places and done things, she’s quirky she’s really great. PAHLEASE!!! Tonal changes to me would be to get rid of Bishop, and get a strong woman character, make Tony team leader and watch the team grow.

• Justafan says:

There isn’t a “Witherspoon” actress on NCIS.
      Perhaps you mistakenly commented on the wrong interview or you’re watching a show that isn’t NCIS.

• Dean says:

if its such an issue for you there are plenty of other programs to watch Tuesdays at 8 muppets may be to your liking.

• Connie Johnson says:

Her last name is Wickersham, not Witherspoon.

• Cathy jones says:

I don’t know why people say they have dropped in ratings. They can’t continue at number 1 IN THE WORLD with dropped ratings. If people don’t like the show now its on the writers not the actors

14. Karen says:

I hope you don’t spoil the best show on TV. Very disappointed when Cote de Padlo left – not the same!

15. Andrea says:

I have to say that I too am weary of all the terrorism plots, but terrorism is unfortunately a topic that has to be dealt with in real life. It could be interesting to see Tony be team leader while Gibbs is recuperating. Tony’s been team leader before, but it’d be interesting to see him do it with the expectation that Gibbs is returning instead of Gibbs retiring as has been done before.

• JC1 says:

It might be interesting to see Tony as team leader again. I didn’t care for it in season four when Gibbs quit – the whole “campfire” shtick made me cringe. But if they take it more seriously this time around it might be interesting.

• Donna2712 says:

I liked the campfires. It showed Tony had a different leadership style. That he wanted his team to bounce ideas off each other rather than all stand at the plasma and sprout off what they know. It felt like more of a team rather than leader and underlings. However, whether they bring the campfire back is yet to be seen. I don’t think any of the writers from that period are still there, and I have my doubts any have actually watched the earlier episodes.

• JC1 says:

Well, each to their own. I really despised the “campfire” thing.

• Steven Binder and Christopher Silber wrote most of the episodes from that time. Silber’s moved on to one of the other NCISs (NOLA, I think) and Binder’s moved on to other things as well.

Having said that, Scott Williams is co-writing the season premiere. He’s been with the show for several seasons and does tend to write competent!Tony episodes for the most part. He wrote one of my favourites of last season, Grounded, which was a great team-centric episode with Tony essentially in the lead, so I’m also cautiously optimistic…

• Ack! Mea culpa – I was incorrect about Steven Binder. He is still writing for NCIS and, in fact, wrote several of my favourite episodes including The Admiral’s Daughter and So It Goes. I must have been thinking about someone else. Of course, this means that there is a writing from the “Team Leader Tony” days, and one that writes competent!Tony well. Let’s hope he’s involved in one or more eps this season.

• Joni says:

When Tony was the team lead while Gibbs was in a coma and then on his “Margarita Safari” we didn’t get the chance to see much of his leadership. We saw a hint of it in ‘Bounce’ but Gibbs was there so Tony had a safety net.
      I think it will be great to see how Tony does w/Gibbs out of commission.

16. sherry says:

I am waiting for the new season, periodly. At least there are new shows on other stations that can get me through the summer repeats. As for Gibbs, his shooting is going to have an effect on everyone. This good be Mark Harmon last season. I think he is in his sixties, maybe he wants to slow down. He does executive producing. As for cote, I don’t miss her, she comes back, she comes back. She wants to do other things, let’s respect that. She was so good in the dove keepers. Looking forward to what they have in store for this season.

• Verna Lucey says:

every one is talking about the different charaters but the one I’m interested in and has not been mentioned is Duckie, I know he contract was up this yr and he will be 82 I’m just wondering if he’s coming back,Palmer has been doing more and more

17. Gisela Bauhof says:

Sounds like boring, boring, boring…
    I used to love that show, my whole family loved that show before CBS introduced this junior agent and the show became all about Gibbs instead of the team!
    Now it’s all about Gibbs and his junior agent Bishop who looks like she’d run off if a mouse appeared in the bullpen!
    If Ziva doesn’t return, CBS should find at least an adequate believable agent! Moreover Gibbs should retire! It’s time for Tony to lead the team!

• Dean says:

nobody is goin to give you a cookie for saying that.

• Gina says:

Cote left and there’s no going back. Bishop needs to go!!! I cringe whenever they pair her with Gibbs because it seems the writers understand their mistake of getting this character on board and the character is weak. Here’s what I’d love to see happen: Promote Vance to SECNAV, Make Tony team leader, Gibbs will have to be the director, he loves his NCIS family, and won’t leave them, Mike Franks will do the convincing while Gibbs recovers as much as he can recover from such serious injury. Bishop will be promoted to SOMETHING other than NCIS and use her multiple talents elserwhere, and a new strong woman will come on board hand picked by the new team leader, Tony, as one of the first important decisions he makes as Team leader. Tonal Toni Changes!

• Pete says:

Ziva wasn’t a believable agent or character, Bishop is far more believable – unless all you want is a cartoon character.

People change over time, what they enjoy changes too – if you don’t enjoy this show anymore then find one you do enjoy, and let the rest of us enjoy this one in peace.

• Leia says:

Ziva wasn’t the believable agent, she was superwoman. That show is taken now. As for Gibbs retiring, for a majority of viewers that would be endgame. You seem to have problems with peoples appearance. Also the show has always been about Gibbs primarily. His life story has been peeled back for 12 yrs. From his lighting a candle in the church in The Weak Link, to his protectiveness of Kate with respect to Ari, to his interactions with kids, to Hiatus, his story, his actions and consequences, have been woven in, DB started it SB continued it GG also. Yes I’d like to see more back story and perhaps consequences of past actions for the others, who knows what will happen. That’s what is so exciting about a new season.

• as524 says:

they have a more than adequate & believable agent in Bishop. The idea of ziva made zero sense when first introduced thru to her last scene.

18. Debbie WEsley says:

I love the show. I like the fact that the writers are changing it up because it was becoming almost like a soap opera series. I hope for a great solid season without all the reruns for months at a time. Great writers, lead actors and supporting actors! If I happen to miss a episode it is taped and I watch the next day.

• Joni says:

The good folks at ‘NCIS’ don’t get to pick the schedule, that’s CBS. Repeats are a part of network television as they need to stretch the season out from September to May since there (in the case of ‘NCIS’) are just 24 episodes. Filming more would be a) too expensive and b) a longer working year for everyone on the set – actors, writers, directors, crew…

19. vparrots says:

does anyone know if Duckie is coming back, I know his contract was up this yr, and he will be 82 last season Palmer has been doing more and more. I’m hoping he stays

20. Smart TV could realize that Emily Wickersham isn’t cutting it as an agent…two years later and she hasn’t grown as a strong woman that can handle the role…

21. Gibbs becomes director or sec nav, dinozzo becomes Gibbs?

22. Delores NeJame says:

An interesting turn of events as Gibbs pulls through- Ziva has been in background tracking and comes in to thwart Gibbs fbeing finished off by another attempt while in hospital, reveling her love of Gibbs as a father image since her dad is dead-

• as524 says:

Sounds like a really bad fan fic…

• Pete says:

How would that be interesting?
      You may see your boss as a substitute father, but it is and was ridiculously out of place on this show.
      Ziva’s story had run out, she was the same boring emotional woman needing to be rescued by the boys, a travesty of the original character.

23. Cathy jones says:

I love a show when they are brave enough to change things up. NCIS is my favorite TV show ever and it always will be.

24. JM says:

Counting the days to the start of Season 13….every season is stronger and more on the edge of your seat episodes! Great cast comments too, just a little teaser on what’s to come!

25. james says:

Ziva David becomes the next “Gibbs.”?

26. Jo Ann Hancock says:

I want the old Gibbs back….I do not want a softer Gibbs!!!!!

27. Nivian says:

When does the new season start

28. Shannon L. Barlow says:

I am hoping NCIS has it set up so ZIVA DAVID comes back!!!!!!!!!! She was so much a part of that show. As ok as Ellie Bishop is, no offense to her, but Bishop doesn’t fit in right. Either bring Ziva back or bring Kate back from the dead somehow. PLEASE????!!!!! lol. THey were both awesome although I think Ziva was better.

• Cathy jones says:

They can’t bring Kate back. She has her own very successful show called Rizzoli and Isles. 6 seasons with them

29. lame says:

Looking forward to this season. Although the details are being kept under wraps as well they should be , this is a change and change is good. The series took a big hit with the departure of Cote de Pablo, as show by the ratings. When you’re the number one show and your numbers are through the stratosphere, the loss of 5 million viewers isn’t a big deal.
    Now to refresh the show the writers plan to turn the show on it’s head. That is daring, that is exciting and I hope it works like everyone hopes it will.

30. Bebe says:

I hope that Gibbs doesn’t die and Ziva come back for Tony and their child sake, it would be priceless to seeTony’s reaction

• as524 says:

Child? Sounds like yet another really bad fanfic offering….

• Cathy jones says:

I watched the round table conversation and no one even mentioned anything remote about Tony gonna be a daddy. The brought Emily on the show because they want a married couple on it. They had no intention of marrying Tony with anyone

• as524 says:

Agreed Cathy Jones….some just can’t help themselves.

Add to that – MW has emphatically said (on twitter I believe) that tiva was a figment of the imaginations of the fans that saw romance.

31. M.Julia Regan says:

Maybe this is the time to bring “Ziva ” back. She has been the best female character other than”Jennie” who can’t come back since they killed her off. The only other female character that I think was strong enough for the show was the psys-ops character played by Jamie Lee Curtis. “Ziva”would be great in timing because of her sniper background.

• Cathy jones says:

Only if they brought back Ziva’s father too which they can’t. Her storyline ended with her taking daddy back to Israel

• as524 says:

the idea that ziva was the ‘best female character’ is complete subjective. To many she was the worst. beyond that ziva’s story is finished & cote so obviously has other plans for her life. Too bad her ‘fans’ are typecasting her.

32. Navy Family says:

what a way to celebrate my birthday I can’t wait to see wha NCIS has in store it’s always got lots of action keep up the fabulous work

33. Joan says:

No Gibbs , no show. thats all I am going to say

34. squeakv says:

Without Gibbs I don’t know if the show would be as interesting.

35. LHoward says:

If John Cryer is going to be on, I am done. He was such a jerk on 2 1/2 Men.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Rational.

• Donna2712 says:

John Cryer’s CHARACTER was a jerk on 2 1/2 men. John Cryer the ACTOR is not the same person he portrays on the screen. I think you should give him a go rather than throw the baby out with the bathwater just because you didn’t like the character he played.

• Cathy jones says:

I agree with you Donna. It’s unfortunate people don’t seem to differentiate the difference between playing a character and a real person. Everybody acts like Ziva is a real person instead of just a character Cote De Pablo played on a TV show.

36. Pat Goss says:

Will any Jag people make another appearance on ncis like Aj. Chegwidden did?

37. I’m ready for the new season! I knew all along that Gibbs would be back, of course. I mean, didn’t everyone know he signed a contract for another year? In any case, it will be interesting to see how he handles coming back to work after being shot by a child. I’m looking forward to see Tony grow up a little and have a mature relationship with someone. Ditto Abby. Don’t get me wrong, I love Abby just as she is. She’s quirky and fun and a little weird, with a compassion that is unequaled. But I would like to see her with a love interest. She and McGee love each other, yes, but apparently not “like that.” So, McGee has a girlfriend. Isn’t it time for Abby to get one? And what about Rocky Carroll? What’s going to happen with his character? And his kids? And personally, I LIKE Emily. I’m glad they brought someone in who is happily married. It adds a touch of stability to a show that thrives on chaos. So, I’m ready for the new season. Bring it on!!!

38. ann says:

I have loved NCIS for years, but gave up watching when Ziva left the show. Just couldn’t get into the replacement.

39. ch says:

Hopefully they will catch the kid that Gibbs befriended and execute him.

40. Zollicoffer Smith says:

I read the article but I never fret about what’s going to happen on NCIS:
    “It’s a sign of weakness.”

41. bikey says:

ITs TELEVISION folks. they’re trying to keep it interesting.
    lets just all hope they get rid of that AWFUL BISHOP CHARACTER [ camilla wickerfrump????] which is REALLY dragging down the show…
    Maybe GIBBS got shot because even HE dosent want to deal with her talentless portrayals as an agent..character.

42. Chris Hodges says:

I don’t have T.V. access so I have to wait for the DVDs to come out. This next season sounds to good to miss. Maybe I can get it on my computer.

• localhost says:

I do the same. Buy the DVDs and then binge watch the season. My opinion is the first half was good, but the second half brought us the neutered Gibbs character which was bleh and culminated with him getting shot by the kid while he stood there neutered and inert. double bleh. I don’t have as much of a problem with Bishop as others do.

• JC1 says:

It’s streaming on Netflix now – all 12 seasons.

43. Joyce L says:

Can’t stand the gal that took Ziva’s place, she’s such a wimpy looking person. If Gibb’s leaves, that’s the end of the program, I’ll never watch it again. Too bad, it’s been my favorite program for a long, long time…it will be no more.

44. prinka2123@gmail.com says:

This is a god oportunity to bring ziva david to meet a rescue gibs in to season 13 thanks

45. I sit, with bated breath, attached to my tablet, when it arrives, for the new season.

46. Linda Luyken says:

Changes in responsibility? As long as Gibbs is the center,with the team growing mature, there is already to much pusshing DiNozzo please don’t go over the edge.

47. Kathy says:

I have watched this program from the very beginning, it has always been my favorite show. But NCIS without Mark Harmon would not be the same.I do hope my favorite show has not been ruined . I will be watching and taping next Tuesday!

48. Lynn Temple says:

I LOVE NCIS! But, what’s happening with Abby in the new season?

49. guyfiery says:

I would just like them to bring either/or both Stefanie Powers or Robert Vaughn on to interact with Ducky and DiNozzo Sr.

50. J.Dawkins says:

I for one am so glad all my shows r coming back. Hey I am a Senior citizen. I have been following since day one. Even buying the DVDs. Great CBS
    !!!!