Exclusive
Fresh Prince Reboot

Fresh Prince 'Reboot' in Development, Will Smith on Board as Producer

Now, this is the story all about how The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air got flipped, turned upside-down.

TVLine has learned exclusively that the exploding revival craze is expanding to include the classic ’90s sitcom, with original star Will Smith leading the charge (this time solely as a producer).

According to multiple sources, Smith’s production shingle, Overbrook Entertainment, is in the very early stages of developing a present-day family comedy that puts a new spin on the fish-out-of-water tale while maintaining the spirit of Fresh Prince. (An official longline is still being hammered out.)

I’m told a pitch is being finalized now and Overbrook will begin shopping it around in the coming weeks. Smith would serve as an EP alongside his Overbrook producing partners James Lassiter, Caleeb Pinkett and Jada Pinkett-Smith.

RELATED Xena Reboot in the Works at NBC: Who Should Play the New Warrior Princess?

The ’90s Fresh Prince — which launched then-rapper Smith’s acting career — ran for six seasons on NBC, before ending in 1996.

At the Television Critics Association summer press tour in Beverly Hills on Thursday, NBC Entertainment Chairman Robert Greenblatt said the network was not involved with the project, but that he would “be happy to talk to Will [Smith] about it.”

1. Brandy says:

No thanks! I loved Fresh Prince, but the things that excite me about Girl Meets World and Fuller House is that it’s a continuation of the story, with the same characters and actors.

2. Al says:

Originality is dead, isn’t?

3. Mark D. Moss says:

Terrible idea … get some new ideas or make way for creative minds that will.

4. Tony says:

I’d be up for a continuation if James Avery was still alive

5. Here’s my pitch if this does move forward.

Carlton is a successful lawyer having followed in his father’s footsteps and is married with the perfect wife and in his mind, the ideal son, aka a clone of him. Things change when a one night stand from his Princeton days shows up with their son, a wannabe rapper.

We’ll also see Ashley who has a singing career, and thus will connect with Carlton’s son in that sense, and Hilary, who’s married to a wealthy white socialite, as well as another new character or two.

• m3rcnate says:

I would love this, though i think i’d prefer the “young rapper” being Will’s son who is staying with Carlton’s family for w/e reason. Its possible the “one night stand son” won’t be too scandalous but idk, it already sounds more “adult” than anything that was ever on Fresh Prince.
      But yeah, overall your idea to continue with the established characters (especially Carlton) is awesome, love it.

• Marissa says:

Love this! Kevin, I like your concept of focusing on Carlton’s family, with him becoming the “new Uncle Phil”, where Hilary would end up and incorporating how Ashley would be involved. And m3rcnate, I like the idea of it being Will’s son…. that way he could make guest appearances and it would really be more of a mirrored scenario of the original, more like Fuller House or Girl Meets World.

6. Amelia says:

For the love of God, please make the reboots stop. As Brandy and Tom said, continuations are fine, I like finding out what the characters are up to now, but a reboot? No thanks!

7. Jake says:

Dude seriously? Enough already, why reboot a show that was at it’s best just okay? Is there no original ideas left out there?

8. Eric7740 says:

Can no one come up with an original idea???!!!! Old tv show reboots, turning movies into tv series???!!!! Where is the originality???!!!!

• Mary says:

Networks wonder why they are losing viewers. If their goal is to make everyone turn off their TV they might accomplish that.

9. KC says:

NO! Just stop!

10. dude says:

STOP IT TV! STOP IT NOW!

11. AngelWasHere says:

Thanks, but no thanks. This needs to stay in the 90s.

12. Joe says:

No. Just no.

13. Lindsey says:

Noooooooooooooooo!!!

14. Joe says:

I think I can predict what the reboot will be. A riches to rags story. 2015 Uncle Phill sends 2015 Carlton to live with his 2015 Aunt and 2015 cousin Will in the tough neighbourhoods in 2015 West Philly to recapture his relationship with his roots.

15. Clandestine Green says:

Is this another opportunity for Will Smith to shove his untalented children down the throats of America?

16. Enelya says:

Just please don’t let they put Jaden in it…………..

• BP says:

As if you have any doubt for any minute that he won’t be cast as “Will”. Will Smith and Jada Pinkett producing…. NO DOUBT he will be in it.

• Lizo says:

both Jaden and Willow are super talented and creative, I can’t see their involvement being a bad thing.

17. Ames says:

OMG. JUST STOP.

18. aph1976 says:

I hope it’s not a remake but a continuation of sorts of the original series.It could involve some of the original characters and with Will Smith been the executive producer maybe his character could show up even if it’s just for one episode.As for what series it could involve a son Carlton never knew about showing up and adjusting to his new life.Then some episodes could involve meeting his family members and that could be a good way to bring old characters on.

19. Willene says:

Just no more reality shows please. I can dance. I can sing. I can go around with no clothes. I can’t take anymore. Any things better than what we have now.

20. Willene says:

I’d like to see Barney Miller, Lie to me,

21. Mr. Tran K says:

Really don’t care about those haters commenting on the Fresh Prince reboot. Two words: CARLTON DANCE (it’s not unusual…).

22. Tom says:

So this is Will’s excuse to give his children their “big break”. Give me a break. No pun intended. Hate this idea and I can’t stand the Smith family. They need to go away.

23. JadenSmithMustDie says:

Is he trying to make us hate him? Because this is exactly how we hate him, especially if he tries to cast his son in this series (Which he will, because he is still trying to get his son an acting career and he cannot act to save his life). Jaden Smith is the most idiotic human being to ever walk the earth and nothing Will Smith does will ever do can change that.

24. DARK SKIN AUNT VIV!!! we want the original Aunt Viv back! I don’t care that she and Will Smith hates each other, bring back Janet Hubert damn it!!!!

25. It should be a sequel, with Carlton definitely as the rich uncle, and it should be the Fresh Princess of Bel Air.

26. Laura Markl says:

I wish they would reboot THE LOVE BOAT and FANSTASY ISLAND.

• A says:

There was a reboot of Fantasy Island some years ago with Malcolm McDowell as Mr. Rourke. It was a little edgier than the original. Didn’t last long, which was a shame. It was well done.

27. A fan of TV says:

I’d be up for some reverse action, like Carlton and his nerdy son fall on tough times, and since his parents have passed away, he moves in with Will and his family in west Philly. But a reboot without Will and Carlton is just a whole different show and probably wouldn’t interest me much…

28. Beth says:

This is all well and good but hopefully not a reboot! Like others on here, a continuation is fine. I would watch that UNLESS Will Smith puts his no talent son Jaden in one of the title roles

29. Jillian says:

This is getting ridiculous!!! Networks need to stop with the reboots, sequels, and prequels to old, classic shows and come up with some original, fresh ideas.

30. Lizo says:

My initial response was NOPE, but if Smith is running the show, I’ll watch.

31. Joseph says:

Enough with the reboots already!

32. Maz says:

all respect to Will Smith I am sure he is a great producer. I just don’t want to see a classic ruined, especially such a great one

33. Steve says:

Will is out of touch with what his fans want

34. Ryan says:

For some reason I’m assuming Jaden will be in this. Pending disaster!

35. Pilot411 says:

So which one of the Will Smith’s kids will be cast in the main role to ruin the show?

36. Michelle says:

Please gosh just no!

37. Mary S says:

Interesting – You talk about a 2015 re-make of Fresh Prince, offer a gallery of “23 Shows We’d Re-Make or Revive Now” – and the gallery is from 2013! Among other shows, it lists The Bill Cosby Show…You REALLY need to review these lists and galleries before showing them again!!! And, I will admit, many of the shows you listed have come out under different names, so the ideas were not that bad…except for that faux pas about Cosby!

38. Obinna says:

After the death of Uncle Phil, I’ll say ‘no to that’

39. Ella says:

No, just leave my childhood alone. And it won’t be the same without Uncle Phil :(

40. Tony says:

I love how people are hating on kids when, in nowhere in this article, does it even remotely hint at any casting whatsoever.

41. Angus says:

Again HW can’t come up with an original idea.

42. As long as Jeffrey is back as the butler, I’m watching.

43. Rachael says:

Very unnecessary, nothing can live up to the original show.

44. Jon says:

Did I just read someone wants to bring back the Cosby show? Really? Has anyone here read a newspaper, seen a news show or ever watch “The Nightly Show”? If not, maybe someone should.

45. Ali says:

And, let me guess, Will and Jada’s two creepy kids will star in the remake. Yawn already

46. Ed says: