Fall TV Preview
Chicago Med/Fire/PD/SVU Crossover

Chicago Fire Boss Talks More Spinoffs, Four-Way (!) Crossover With SVU

Just how many shows can NBC’s Chicago franchise spawn?

The answer to that question depends on the success of the latest entry to the group, Chicago Med, premiering Nov. 17 at 9/8c.

“There would never be a fourth unless [Chicago Med] works,” executive producer Dick Wolf said Thursday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour in Beverly Hills. “If this works, who knows what is possible in the future.”

At the moment, however, “the concern of everybody now is to make this show have the same impact that Fire and P.D. have had,” Wolf added.

Crossovers between the uber producer’s many NBC dramas are already in the works, including a four-way event with Law & Order: SVU slated to air in February and a crossover between the three Chicago shows.

“The crossovers are incredible ratings engines for us,” Wolf said. “What we can’t do is have them become commonplace. [There are] three this season, but they won’t include all the shows.”

Added EP Matt Olmstead: “They’re very daunting. Like most creative endeavors, the daunting ones turn out to be the most gratifying.”

1. Luis says:

I’m unclear, is Dick Wolf the Shonda Rimes of NBC, or is Shonda Rimes the Dick Wolf of ABC?

• Sam says:

None. Shonda Rhimes is so obsessed with homosexuality and sex and adultery. Dick Wolf is not that much into those stuffs.

• thisismenow says:

What Dick Wolf shows are you watching?

• David4 says:

Dear wacko,
        Please go back the the 1800s where your views might have been more common place and there was no such thing as TV. And being gay and cheating was just never talked about, but happened even more than today.

TV Watchers everywhere.

• Dear whatever you are.
          His point is that Shonda uses those things as plotdevices, while Wolf uses them in a way that mostly reflects the world. Atleast the first two. They don’t matter. Some people are gay, many have sex, some cheat.
          After Grey’s season 3, find me one episode where sex isn’t the driving plot of any Shonda show. Hell, even in that guy’s death episode it was sex.
          And when a character is gay, she forces it onto the viewer. And she doesn’t stop. Most straight people don’t care about other people’s orientation. Like everyone else, we just want to be entertained.
          Yes, Wolf uses sex as a tool too, but it’s not the only plot in his stories.

• Anna says:

Serious question: How does Shonda force her characters’ homosexuality onto the viewers?

• Michelle says:

Anna, I won’t presume to speak for anyone else, but from my perspective the way she portrays homosexuality most of the time just doesn’t feel organic. Most people I know don’t walk around feeling the need to broadcast their orientation one way or the other. They’re just people living their lives. Other writers are able to write their characters that way; to weave it in seamlessly as just a piece of the whole person and it feels natural. Shonda seems to lack that ability, at least when it comes to main characters. She doesn’t feel the need to make it known that Maggie on GA is straight, but she made sure when we met Arizona that we knew she was a lesbian right away. She tends to write as though it defines who the character is. Real people aren’t like that. That’s why it feels forced.

• R says:

Dick Wolf already had decades of experience on TV when Shonda was still thinking how to kill his first character

• Al says:

But Shonda has 4 shows in only 10 yrs- imagine how much more she will have when she’s Dicks age

• David4 says:

You need to look up his work. He will have 6 shows on the air come fall, six. In his life he has done a ton more than she has, and she will most likely flame out by the tiem she reaches Dick’s age.

• Anna says:

She’s actually had 6 shows in the past decade, 4 of which will be on the air this fall. And Dick Wolf actually created about the same amount of shows in that amount of time (not including work on other people’s shows), but now has been working in television for over 30 years. You can’t compare what he’s done with his career with what she’s done – who knows where she’ll be 20 years from now. So far, her creations have been doing pretty well.

2. DJ Doena says:

I like these shows individually, but I don’t want to many Xovers. Keep it simple with one of the docs riding in the ambo or the cops showing up at the firehouse.

I will not regularily tune into SVU, no matter how many Xovers there will be.

And I’m not sure I will watch Med on a regular basis.

3. Luke says:

Can we please stop with the SVU portion of the crossovers. The characters and the dialog on SVU are terrible. Olivia Benson is the single most annoying character on television and the episode on SVU always seems to take all of the energy out of the other shows.

• KT says:

Thank you! I do not want to watch a show about sex crimes and I hate that with the crossovers with SVU, the Chicago shows end up being sex crime episodes, too. It makes sense for the characters in Chicago to interact some, but it is just painful to bring in SVU.

• Zoe says:

If it makes you feel any better, none of the SVU fans (like myself) want people from Chicago Anything to keep showing up in the precinct. I don’t know who anyone from the Chicago shows is and frankly I don’t care- everyone that’s shown up on the SVU episodes is either bland and boring, or a complete and utter dispicable human being. (I’m looking at you, Voight.) These crossovers are tedious messes (just like Chicago PD, really. Chicago Fire’s alright, though.) and I’m tired of Dick Wolf trying to get me to watch it. (See, I can bad-mouth your favorite shows and characters too! Hurts, don’t it? So stop.)

4. Wordsmith says:

Where would they go next? Chicago Department of Sanitation? Chicago DMV?
    I suppose I could see them doing a legal-themed one or maybe something set at a school…

5. Chicago Law should be the last one.

6. dude says:

Chicago Law, Chicago Public (School), Chicago Morgue, Chicago Transit, Chicago Jamba Juice…there, I just filled your entire programming block NBC. Give me money.

7. Bwhit says:

I was skeptical about Chicago PD but I love that show so I’m looking forward to Med. I don’t see the reason to keep bringing SVU into these crossovers. So everyone that commits a major crime in Chicago ALWAYS has a tie to New York, it’s getting kind of tiring.

8. I believe this is happening(the 4 way crossover) because SVU is going to have a lot of episodes with cast missing(Kelli Giddish is pregnant and due within the next 2 months, and ICE-T and Peter Scanavino’s wives are also pregnant) and Laurie Holden just quit Chicago Med. NBC is praying that Chicago Med will be good enough to renew(and not as a pity renewal). SVU will not only be missing some of the cast members at various times, it goes head to head with EMPIRE, which I’m sure will do really well again this season. NBC is really under the gun this season. They renewed The Mysteries of Laura(which should have been CANCELLED) for 13 episodes. it was their only new show that got a renewal from last season. They cannot afford another disaster like last year.

• thisismenow says:

The Mysteries of Laura has Debra Messing who for some unknown reason is an actress that NBC fawns over to no end. Since they had to save one show, it was undoubtedly going to be hers. I would also bet money on it being a mid season replacement for future failed series over the next few years because it is a cheap by the number series. They’ve already start to bare bones the cast. ______ didn’t work, toss Laura on that night. Dateline being on every night by the middle of the spring schedule is a bad sign of a struggling network. It’s almost as bad as “The Friday Night Movie”

9. John036 says:

Maybe the fourth spin-off could be Chicago News? And it follows a group of newscasters. There could be very interesting storylines they could tackle, especially if they do a cross over with PD.

• Marc says:

Wolf tried print news in New York with Deadline 15 years ago with Oliver Platt, Bebe Neuwirth, and Tom Conti but it was canned after five episodes with a spring burnoff. Perhaps TV news will work better.

10. smartysenior says:

I don’t watch either of the cop shows and don’t follow the crossovers. I just sit back and enjoy Fire and I’ll probably like Med. Something for everyone I guess.

11. Jo B. says:

STOP IT!!! NO MORE! HOW UNREALISTIC IS THIS ALREADY! SVU is dying. Let it go in peace already. Stop trying to resuscitate it with these crossovers! Concentrate on the Chicagos – it’s time to let go of SVU.

• I have a better idea. Instead of getting rid of SVU. let’s fire all the corporate executives who have continuously cut the payroll and budget for the last 5 years. Everyone who thought this was a good idea is fired. Next, any corporate executives who thought bringing back The Mysteries of Laura was a good idea is fired. The show was a corpse by the 10th episode, and now they are increasing the budget for the corpse. Let’s bring Danny Pino back to SVU, pay both he and Kelli Giddish real money, and increase the budget so it can be a great show again. If Mysteries of Laura hadn’t been renewed for 13 episodes, every new fall show from 2014-15 would have been cancelled. How can you not fire employees by the truckload for a disaster like that?

• Zoe says:

I second all of this- but you’re talking miracles here, so let’s add in the return of Chris Meloni for good measure.

• Wendy says:

SVU is now going on 17 seasons in. Everything runs out of gas eventually. So it makes sense for NBC to plan for the future. Even if their ideas for doing so leave a lot to be desired.

• 'A' Is Alive says:

Well they can’t really cancel the show since its ratings are better than most of their shows on the network right now. The Chicago shows and L&O:SVU are “ratings-juggernauts” (by the networks standards). The only way they’ll consider cancelling is if the show begins hitting the 0.9’s and below and less then 5 million views. And actually, this previous season’s ratings grew from the season before it.

12. Dave says:

They could make Chicago Law. It will be the Perry Mason/Matlock of tv today. Or they could make a spiniff. That is a comedy to mix things up

13. One wish for this crossover, don’t make Erin Lindsay the star. It’s getting tired. People watch these shows NOT because of Sophia Bush and Erin Lindsay. Stop making Erin go to New York. Stop forcing her storylines into storylines that has NOTHING to do with her like bringing in her brother or killing off somebody close to her. CFD/CPD/LAO is NOT about Erin Lindsay and her annoying issues. Thanks.

• Zoe says:

For the love of- Dick, no. Stop. Stop trying to make Chicago happen in New York. Not only does SVU have a massively different feel than the Chicago shows, but they also have very different fanbases- and based on my personal experiences from Tumblr (and this comment section, to be honest), we don’t get along. So just keep everyone in their respective cities. Please?