Urban Cowboy TV Series

Fox's Urban Cowboy Pilot Casts Sense8 Actor as Male Lead

Fox has found its Urban Cowboy in the form of Mexican actor Alfonso Herrera, who will star in the network’s drama pilot based on the 1980 John Travolta flick.

Written and exec-produced by Craig Brewer (Hustle & Flow), this “modern reimagining” of the original film will, per the official logline, follow Kyle (Herrera) and Gaby, “two star-crossed young lovers, as they pursue their dreams and passions through the sweat of line-dancing in honky-tonks, the grime of the oil refineries and the glamor of modern Texas. It’s about family legacies, starting over, finding true love and the American dream.”

According to our sister site Deadline, Herrera’s character is an extremely popular rodeo-circuit rider (and a puppet for the drug cartel) who is forced to flee Mexico after ticking off the wrong people. When he and his sister make their way to Houston, they are given sanctuary by their Uncle Al, an illegal immigrant who has made a life for himself in the United Sates.

Herrera — whose stateside credits include the Netflix drama Sense8 — has appeared in such telenovelas as El Diez and Camaleones. He is also a former member of the Mexican pop group RBD, which broke up in 2009.

Is Herrera the Urban Cowboy you imagined? Drop a comment below with your thoughts on his casting.

1. Sarah says:

A mexican as a cowboy? Try selling that to the republicans.

Jokes aside, I like him on Sense8. Will give it a try.

• Alicia says:

I’m born and raised Houston. There’s a lot of vaqueros in this city. I buy it. I’m excited to see this; I wonder how they’ll portray the city I love and hold dear.

2. kate says:

So maybe Lito gets a publicist who parleys his coming out to a Hollywood career that Hermanno won’t follow? This concerns me. It means Nomi is the only one with a stable relationship. This makes me sad if he doesn’t play a role on season two.

3. Larry says:

I hope that Herrara finds a way to film both Sense8 and this. Fortunately this Urban Cowboy remake is on a cable outlet, hence shortened seasons, and not on broadcast which could had led to a longer 22 episodes. The possibility exists for Herrara to remain a guest star on Sense8. I just don’t want the cast of Sense8 be broken up this soon. With the talent behind that show it would had been surprising if producers weren’t looking at the actors already

• Y says:

Um, this is on FOX. 22 episodes highly likely.

• ScottJ says:

Um, this is on FOX. Cancelled early with no wrap-up, and episodes played in the wrong order highly likely.

• dude says:

I know they did that to Firefly but really, that’s hardly the average of how FOX treats shows (they let The Mindy Project underperform for three years). It seems like every time a show someone likes gets cancelled, that network becomes “the network that cancels shows,” as if no other networks do. Everyone cancels shows that underperform. This is not new.

• ScottJ says:

Perfectly correct. However based on the last 4 or 5 years, Fox has canceled about the same number of shows that I was watching than the other 4 networks combined. End result is I no longer watch any of their content live. Been sucked in too many times already.

• I give it only 2 episodes.

4. O'yaya says:

WHAT! but Him and Lito made up at the end of the season!!!

but in all seriousness I had a theory that was confirmed by the netflix “making of sense8” video,that the show shoots the whole season in four months and they go to each location and shoot the entire season from someone’s perspective within that four months

since Alfonso ‘s character is a Lito’s supporting character he is presumably going to be restricted to the mexican location like last season…. which means he will probably spend around 2-3 weeks filming his scenes which leaves the rest of the year to film this show

5. jc says:

Ohhh yes yes yes. Loved alfonso ever since his rebelde days. Hopefully he still appears in sense 8 if this gets picked up.

6. Allison P says:

So proud of Poncho! Can’t believe I’ve been a fan for 10 years.

7. B says:

Love this guy and wish him success, but I do hope there’s a way for him to also remain on Sense8. Hernando and Lito’s relationship is essential!

8. did they really have to add a crime aspect to this? becasue you know the cartel part is gonna pop up at some point

i was optimistic but they just lost me thanks but no thanks

9. iamsylar says:

He’s not one of the Sense8s, so the actor wont have to travel between 8 different countries liked the others. He’s basically stationary in Mexico, so there’s a way to pull off both… depending on the filming scheduled.

10. no it’s not..but I’m surprised how much I like the idea.

11. So happy for Alfonso! I’ve been his fan for quite some time now and he really deserves this, he’s a great actor. Btw, he said in several interviews that he will be back as Hernando in season 2 of Sense8 :)

12. HE IS A GOOD ACTOR BUT JOHN TRAVOLTA HE WILL NEVER BE

13. Betty ~The original Sissy~ says:

Fox just insulted everyone that was part of the original Urban Cowboy.
    ~Sissy~

14. Sassy Tammy says:

Fox. What are you thinking getting Herrera as the lead. Looks nothing like Travolta. Any real country woman won’t watch because of him being lead…..a real turn off….and when I heard about the series I was so excited but now disappointed because of who has the lead role

15. Susie says:

You can put the biggest names in Hollywood in it, but the real star of Urban Cowboy was the music. Urban Cowboy without Johnny Lee’s heartfelt songs? No thank you very much.

16. I was in the movie Urban Cowboy and I find it an insult to all of us who were Gilley Rats and those of us who worked there at Gilley’s for FOX to have some Mexican actor/ and so-called singer play Bub. And to have drugs in the story line as a part of Urban Cowboy and Gilley’s that is where FOX has completely screwed up. Drugs were not allowed there and if you got caught with drugs at Gilley’s you got your ass kicked so bad that 9x out of 10 you had to go to the hospital. I will watch the pilot but I give this show only 2 episodes. FOX needs to get their head out of their asses

17. Constance Callinan says:

I’ve watched the 215 episodes Netflix has of Rebelde and the two movies with english subtitles as I do not speak Spanish.. I also watched Alfonso in Senses 8 as well as Miguel Angel Silvestre who I also likel I’m definitely a fan of both. Will go see Urban Cowboy when it debuts. Although I prefer Alfonso without a beard as I think he’s handsomer without it, I think he’s a good actor and enjoy his performances. I think he will make a perfect Urban Cowboy aand am delighted that they cast him in that role. I look forward to Netflix buying more of his work, especially the rest of the Rebelde episodes with English subtitles.