Fall TV Preview
Laurie Holden Leaving Chicago Med

Chicago Med: Laurie Holden Exits Fire Spinoff, Laments 'Tough' Decision

Chicago Med doc is checking out early.

Laurie Holden — who played ER surgeon Dr. Hannah Tramble in last spring’s backdoor pilot — has parted ways with NBC’s upcoming Chicago Fire spinoff, TVLine has learned.

“It was Laurie’s decision to opt out of the series,” a spokesperson for the show said. “We are sorry to see her go. We are currently casting additional new roles which we hope to have confirmed very soon.”

Holden, who previously starred on The Walking Dead, also issued the following statement:

I am so grateful to Dick Wolf, my fellow cast members, NBC and the entire Chicago Med team for their understanding. Sometimes we must make tough choices and, for family reasons, not doing Chicago Med is one of those for me at this time. I know the show is going to be a huge success and I’ll be watching.

Chicago Med currently stars S. Epatha Merkerson (Law & Order), Yaya DaCosta (Ugly Betty), Nick Gehlfuss (Shameless), Oliver Platt (Fargo), Colin Donnell (Arrow) and Brian Tee (Grimm). It premieres Tuesday, Nov. 10 at 9/8c.

1. Maryann says:

She was my most anticipated cast member. Very disappointing that she decided to leave.

2. Mr. Tran K says:

Disappointed about the news. Time to recast the role.

3. wrstlgirl says:

No biggie :-) :-)

4. aph1976 says:

Since it was the actress’s decision to exit the show i’ll support her because her family comes first before her career,So right now in her life she may not want to be tied down to a show.

5. loli says:

X files? Maybe she can still guest on the new limited series.

6. Babygate says:

No reason to watch now…

7. Elissa says:

This does not disappoint me at all. She was the only reason I was NOT looking forward to the show. I couldn’t stand her in TWD, but that could have just been the character. I watched her in Major Crimes the few eps she was in and I didn’t like her on that show either. When I saw her in the backdoor pilot of this show, I thought, ‘Wow, I really just don’t like her as an actress.” She always portrays her characters as bitchy. I’m glad she isn’t on the show, looking forward to the recast.

• Maybe you should have watched her in The Walking Dead(before the writers got stupid with her character). She is also a very good movie actress. Sorry you didn’t get to watch her at her best.

• Elissa says:

I have actually watched TWD from the beginning. I will say that I didn’t think anything negative over her in the beginning but it was in the first season that my first negative thoughts of her occurred. I have never seen her in anything but the three I already mentioned.

• DoctorWhoFanatic says:

Elissa just said she couldn’t stand her in the Walking Dead… (TWD=The Walking Dead)…

• Yes, I didn’t see that the first time around, but I caught it on the 2nd read thru. I guess NBC can count on her to watch the show. Unfortunately, Ms. Holden was the reason for ME to watch the show, and I’m out.

8. Kamil says:

This is sad. Laurie was the only one reason for me to watch Chicago Med so hearing about her exit is a bit disappointing. I really regret that Chicago Med’s producers couldn’t find a way to stop Holden from leaving. Right now I don’t know if I wil watch that show. There is Grey Anatomy so… But i fully understand and respect Laurie’s decision. She is thinking about her family in the first place so it’s good. I hope to see her soon in a different show in a leading role. She maybe lost her chance with Chicago Med but there are so many fantastic shows that she will definitly find something new.

• 'A' Is Alive says:

So you’re telling me they were to BEG her to stay even though she had family issues (btw, the show is said to be filmed in Chicago like its counterparts). So, that could have been a major reason why she decided not to do it anymore.

9. Once again, NBC shows why it is necessary for someone to purchase this network who gives a darn about programming. I don’t know what the whole story is(at least not yet) but NBC should have done everything possible to keep Laurie Holden on the show. Kelli Giddish, Ice-T and Peter Scanavino will have family situations coming up in the next few months. I can’t wait to see how NBC handles those. The only new show that is returning from last seasons fall schedule is The Mysteries of Laura(which should have been CANCELLED) for hopefully only 13 episodes. If NBC doesn’t bring back anything new from this Fall schedule that doesn’t finish in the TV GUIDE top 50 shows(and isn’t Football or a Reality show) then they better be firing most everyone from the top down or selling the network. What a disgrace.

10. She was the whole reason I was going to watch it, oh well! I just hope she is okay!

11. kay says:

Works for me. She was the one thing I didn’t like about the show.

12. cyclone says:

I liked the 1st cast of the Chicago Med spinoff with Dylan Baker and Amanda Righetti. I don’t like Halstead’s brother, Oliver Platt annoys me in EVERYTHING he does and no one else stood out for me from that backdoor pilot.