Fall TV Preview
Max Greenfield AHS Hotel

American Horror Story: Hotel Warning: Max Greenfield at Center of 'Most Disturbing Scene' In Series’ History

The Schmidt is about to hit the fan.

New Girl star Max Greenfield‘s forthcoming American Horror Story: Hotel detour is seriously “f–ked up,” exec producer Ryan Murphy previewed Friday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour in Beverly Hills.

“He plays an addict who checks into the hotel and tangles with Sarah Paulson,” Murphy elaborated. “I Maxsaid [to him], ‘I have a feeling that you can and want to do something really f—ked up.’ And he said, ‘How did you know?’ So he cut off his beautiful hair and dyed it. And I think he’s lost 30 pounds. Yesterday, I talked to him and his waist I think is down to a 27. So he’s really commited to it.”

Murphy also noted that “the most disturbing scene we’ve ever done, he’s at the center of,” adding, “He really pushed himself as an actor. I was proud of him.”

American Horror Story: Hotel opens for business on Wednesday, Oct. 7 at 10/9c on FX.

1. Drew says:

Why do people always talk about actors dropping that much weight as though it is a good thing? This should be frowned upon by their union, not celebrated and encouraged. A lot of these actors have probably damaged their hearts by doing things like this, and it’s not worth it. I’m about the same height as him and even during my most unhealthy weight loss days, I couldn’t touch a 27 inch waist.

• I started watching AHS last season and hated it because I thought a lot of the stuff was done for its shocking value, not becuase it was good story wise. I bailed out 1/2 way thru. Not torturing myself again.

• Drew says:

I was intrigued by the idea of the show until I heard who was producing. Ryan Murphy has never not disappointed.

• Lucifer says:

Ryan Murphy’s shows mainly run off of shocking things for shock value surrounded by scenes of melodrama, dark humor, and raunchy sex (if it’s on cable).

• Ditto says:

Ditto. I, too, stopped watching but after season 2. The storylines are clever but the gore is too much for me. I read the recaps because I appreciate the storylines but I’m unable to watch the visuals–the actual tv show.

• you should watch the witch season, third i think,,,,it will change your mind..freak show is just weird not good…seriously watch season 3..the witch season…very good writing and cast of characters.

2. Spence says:

I can’t believe a word out of Murphy’s mouth. Remember when he said Freakshow and Coven were absolutely terrifying, when they were absolutely not? Yeah, I’ll believe it when I see it.

3. Cory says:

I think Freak Show had the most disturbing scenes in general although, it was kind of a dull season. (The snuff film flashback, Matt Bomer’s scene, Emma Roberts getting sawn in two were all a bit too much.) Wonder how this scene will turn out, ha.

• Emma Roberts being sawed in two was just giving the people what they want. The whole thing is now cast like 1970’s disaster movies. See how many “names” we can pack in for marquee value and then figure out how we’ll kill them.

4. Lothar says:

I saw this scene over 10 years ago, in a movie called “Seven”. Putting a gay twist to it is completely tasteless. it reminded me of a scene in the movie “Cruising”. Ryan should be criticized a bit for this, but he won’t be. he is a media darling and part of the gay “It” crowd.

5. Mal says:

Not impressed after viewing episode 1. Too graphic -not much intrigue. Already tired of seeing mutilated bodies.