John Stamos Olsen Twins

John Stamos Admits He Nearly Got the Olsen Twins Fired From Full House

Not everything in Lifetime’s upcoming Unauthorized Full House Story is true to the backstage events of the classic sitcom, but John Stamos on Thursday confirmed that the movie does get one thing right: his initial friction with the Olsen twins.

Speaking at the Television Critics Association summer press tour in Beverly Hills, where he was promoting his upcoming Fox comedy Grandfathered, Stamos admitted he wasn’t always chummy with Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen:

The Olsen twins cried a lot. It was very difficult to get the shot. So that actually is 100 percent accurate. I said, ‘Get those kids…’ [gestures to get rid of them] and they brought in a couple of unattractive red-headed kids. We tried that for a while and that didn’t work. ‘Alright, get the Olsen twins back.’ That’s the story.

Stamos’ clash with the twins is depicted in the first scene released from the Lifetime movie, which you can enjoy (for so many reasons) below:

1. Drew says:

Redhead hater! I would be so mad right now if I cared.

2. Anthony says:

“Unattractive red-haired kids”…
    Really?

3. msstargate says:

Uncle Jesse! How rude!

4. Maria says:

To this day you rarely see the Olsen twins smile.

5. lrdslvrhnd says:

So instead they went with unattractive blonde kids…

6. Sara says:

Imagine how those poor red-headed twins must feel right now after living with the family legend that they were almost the Olsen twins and now having John Stamos say they were unattractive.

7. Heathers says:

Mare golden, if your child was black or Latino, the bullies would be thrown out of school. But since she is white and red haired, bullying is tolerated. It is total B.S.

8. Jared says:

Im pretty sure John Stamos was saying it as a joke. Jeez people calm down.

9. Bob Backus says:

“unattractive red-headed kids.” WOW how ugly they must have been compared to the really ugly twins they did use. Just a really ugly pair of babies, got better looking as they aged, at least better looking then when as ugly babies.

10. lorna says:

lol well the olsens weren’t even marginally cute until 4 ot 5

11. Kelly says:

“Unattractive red-headed kids”………..really?

12. Jodie: “What’s a stripper?”
    Bob: “Hopefully, a career path you’ll never have to follow.”
    I’m sold, since their Bob seems to have the real Saget’s delivery and bite downpat.

13. Austin says:

That comment about stripping totally sounds like something Bob Sagot would say.

14. Julie says:

I liked Full House as a kid growing up but as I’ve recently watched some episodes the kids talk back to their elders & the character, Michelle, is not only annoying but the worst. Now I know why my parents weren’t too keen on my brother’s and I watching this! If I spoke to my parents like these characters did my ass would be in a sling for a month.
    I hope the Fuller House series isn’t as fresh to their elders!!
    …and I agree, the Olsen twins were ugly back then and still are today!!