Jon Stewart Daily Show

Jon Stewart's Final Daily Show: Colbert's Return, Springsteen's Tribute and 13 Other Magic Moments

After nearly 17 years of bettering Americans’ lives with his wit and wisdom, Jon Stewart said #JonVoyage to The Daily Show on Thursday, leaving an epic legacy (and one final lesson about the dangers of bulls–t) in his wake.

That said, it might not have been the final hour many longtime viewers were anticipating — at least not at first.

“Even though it’s our last night on the air, I feel a responsibility, nay, an obligation to devote the entirety of our last show to our standard post-debate full-team coverage,” Stewart said at the top of the hour, preparing to introduce his team of three correspondents for the evening.

Well, that team of “three” quickly grew into a seemingly never-ending parade of familiar Daily Show faces — from Stephen Colbert to Olivia Munn, Josh Gad to Samantha Bee, and John Oliver to Gitmo (the least popular Sesame Street Muppet, as you might recall). It turns out they’ve all just been “waiting around” since their individual departures.

After an incredible speech about bulls–t (“If you smell something, say something”), Stewart closed his final hour with a heartfelt message of gratitude for Comedy Central, his family and the audience. He also left grieving fans with a bit of hope:

An artist I really admire once said he thinks of his career as a long conversation with the audience, and I really like that metaphor … because it takes away the idea of finality. This show isn’t ending. We’re merely taking a small pause in the conversation. Rather than saying goodbye or goodnight, I’m going to say, ‘I’m going to go get a drink.’ Hopefully I’ll see you guys before I leave. That’s our show. Thank you so much for the privilege of being able to do it.

As for Stewart’s final Moment of Zen? Two words: Bruce. Springsteen.

Your thoughts on Stewart’s final bow? Browse our gallery of the best moments below, then grade the episode and drop a comment with your full response.

1. Bryce says:

It was wonderful. I will miss the format, but I can’t wait for Jon to continue to entertain us and help us wade through the bullsh*t, as he put it. Thank you Mr. Stewart!!!

2. Mehvash says:

springsteen was awesome. i’ll be interested to see how Tyler takes on the mantle and what Jon does in the future. it was also great to see Steve Carrell and his wife back on the show. hilarious.

3. Angela says:

Gonna try posting this again, since my first comment didn’t show…
    I had a feeling Springsteen would show up :). Glad to be proven right-so cool that he was there. Further proof why Bruce is awesome.
    Stephen and Jon’s conversation was the best. THE BEST :D. Loved Stephen getting all geeky, loved Jon giggling at everything he was saying-I always did like how Stephen was able to so easily make him laugh…and then Stephen’s heartfelt speech and “thank you” to Jon, and his reaction, and that hug. Awwww! That was so sweet and touching and I honest to God teared up at that. Easily my favorite moment of the show.
    It was great to see all the correspondents, past and present. My god, what an embarrassment of riches in terms of the talent this show’s provided over the years. And I also liked poking a bit of fun at Jon with people showing relief that he was leaving, too :p.
    And of course, excellent speeches from Jon. I like his metaphor about “long conversations” he shared at the end, so with that in mind, I’ll simply thank Jon for making us laugh at the absurdity (or bullsh*t) in the world over the years, as well as learn about or from it, and I look forward to whatever conversations he’ll have with fans in the future.
    Going to miss him all the same, though. Lovely send-off.

4. sas510 says:

One got the real sense that Jon Stewart truly appreciated everyone he worked with on the show. He understood that his team was just that, a team. I look forward to seeing Trevor Noah making the show his own, just as Jon did, but I will wholeheartedly miss Jon Stewart’s voice in the madness. Oh, and in regards to the gallery, Wyatt Cenec was there after Stephen Colbert’s thank you when all the correspondents came out for the group hug.

• maggie says:

Jon did a “remote” with Wyatt, who was supposedly across the street.

• sas510 says:

Yes, I know. He did a “remote” with nearly all the correspondents. My comment was referring to the gallery stating that Wyatt Cenac did not come by to say hello, which when he chose to come out with the group, proved untrue. That’s all. In the context of the story of Wyatt across the street and not sure if he would stop by the studio, he obviously did.

• maggie says:

Sorry. I misunderstood your comment to mean he only was in the group hug.

The reason why they had the fake “remote” with Wyatt at the park across the street was that the day he and Jon had the argument, Wyatt went to the park across the street and cried. He refused to come back in for the filming of the show. So this was basically Jon getting Wyatt to come back from the park for the show. It was a symbolic resolution to the story. (BTW, Wyatt didn’t quit after the argument, as some stories have suggested. He worked at the show for another year before leaving.)

5. Mr. Tran K says:

I give Jon Stewart’s final Daily Show an A+. It was so great to see familiar faces like Steve Carell, John Oliver, Rob Riggle, Larry Wilmore and soon-to-be Late Show host Stephen Colbert among others to show up for Stewart’s farewell to The Daily Show and in my opinion, one of the most emotional send-off I’ve ever seen on late night TV since Letterman’s retirement back in May. Really don’t know what’s next for Stewart but without him, he’ll always be the best Daily Show host than Craig Kilborn. Wonder how new host Trevor Noah is going to fare as he takes over come September 28th.

6. Tom says:

I hate that it’s over. I’m going to miss it.

7. W UE, w tym także w Polsce, nie ma rozpowszechnionych, a tym bardziej dominujących standardów e-fakturowania,
    które spełniałyby wymogi Dyrektywy.

8. Nieprzypadkowo, mówiąc budownictwie energooszczędnym, fachowcy często zwracają uwagę na samą bryłę domu – im prostszy projekt tym łatwiej dobre parametry.

9. neta.blox.pl says:

Od 2010 roku prowadzi on system, dzięki któremu można otrzymać dofinansowanie (w wysokości do 45% wartości inwestycji).

10. ktbanks says:

Great final show. But to correct your slide on Wyatt Cenac, he did show up…he can be seen on the right side of the big group hug at the end of Stephen’s thank you.

11. Great send-off! McCain’s ‘So long, jackass.’ was the best of the politicos, and love the piece with Wyatt – class on both sides of the desk right there. Stephen’s part was perfect. All in all, the best ‘good-bye’ since Carson’s. Oh, and the Bulls**t speech? Should be required viewing before each and every news broadcast on every network. Goodbye, Mr. Stewart, we hardly knew ye.

12. Tammy says:

I will miss Jon so much. Especially with everything going on with the 2016 Elections. I’m glad he got a few good digs in at Fox News this week. I always liked how he would just let their clips really talk for themselves. I also like how his show is responsible for so many careers. I wonder how many people they had to turn down from being on the show because it would have gone on forever. :)

13. LM says:

To those commenting on Wyatt Cenac, and what some media outlets described as an awkward moment, that was deliberate. We know both Jon and Wyatt were well aware of the attention they got, so they did a bit with it.

14. Mehvash says:

Andy you should double check the actual end of this bit…Wyatt Cenec came in when all the correspondents gathered around Jon in one massive group hug. the “awkward” exchange was damn funny. it was nice to see all these guys/girls come back to wish Jon “jonboyage” and an impressive display of the talent that has come through that show over 17 years. the funniest line by far was from steve carrell and his wife when she said she had 2 kids to raise and Steve said he had 3…

• misery chick says:

Although Steve Carell is my favorite performer on this earth, it was really nice hearing wife Nancy being part of the joke too 😆

15. C.Stulz says:

Not only was Wyatt Cenac NOT outside – almost all of the cameos last night, except for Jason Jones, were in front of a screen with a just like most of the “field” reports over the years were – that screen is also right next to the desk! That’s always been on one of the shows running gags.

Wyatt’s cameo was him in the building, in the same room as Jon, saying hi and paying tribute to the man who gave him his big break. He was also later seen in the group hug.

16. Mr. Tran K says:

BTW, did they forgot about Beth Littleford?

17. Topsy Turvy says:

Where was Demetri Martin??!!!?!??!!?

18. irishrose4583 says:

it was so great and the fact that he made sure that everyone else he worked with got credit for their work shows his character. But gotta agree with Colbert who couldnt have said it any better thank you jon stewart!

19. Carmela says:

You really make it appear really easy with your presentation however I find this topic to be actually something that I believe I might never understand.

It kind of feels too complex and very vast for me.

I’m having a look ahead on your subsequent publish, I
    will try to get the dangle of it!