Fall TV Preview
Bones Sleepy Hollow Crossover

Bones, Sleepy Hollow Crossover Plot Scoop: 'It's Like a Great X-Files Episode'

The Bones and Sleepy Hollow worlds will overlap this fall on Fox — and we can finally tell you how those drastically different universes will collide.

At the Television Critics Association summer press tour in Beverly Hills on Thursday, the network on Thursday released the following synopses for the Oct. 29 crossover event:

On Bones, the grisly discovery of human remains lead Brennan and Booth on a hunt for clues, during which they encounter Ichabod Crane and Abbie Mills, searching for answers of their own. Realizing that they are after the same evidence, they team up to solve the mystery.

Then, immediately following on Sleepy Hollow, the intrigue continues as Ichabod’s old nemesis is back from the dead. Ichabod and Abbie need advanced forensic help and expertise to stop him and turn to Brennan and Booth to unlock 18th century secrets using 21st century science.

In a statement, Sleepy Hollow EP Clifton Campbell said, “When the idea came about to create this crossover event for fans, our writers’ room was immediately energized. The creative freedom to merge these two worlds which, at face value, seem so different;  but at their core have such striking similarities – mystery, intrigue and methodical deduction, wrapped up in such strong character partnerships – was a challenge that we all welcomed, and we believe that fans of both series will be very satisfied by the result. It was a terrific collaborative experience across the board and we are eager to see the fan reaction to Ichabod and Abbie working alongside Brennan and Booth.”

Added Bones EP Michael Peterson: “The Bones-Sleepy Hollow crossover is like a great episode of The X-Files, where the Bones hour is the Scully, logic-based perspective and the Sleepy Hollow hour is more Fox Mulder-esque. Put them together, and it’s going to be a great two-hour event that fans of both programs are going to love.”

1. Cyd Matthew says:

• JenJ says:

This sounds great! I posted in another comment a couple of days ago that I thought this crossover could be good, and it looks like they most definitely have come up with a good concept for the storyline. Can’t wait!

2. I’m looking forward to it! Sounds good. :)

3. Kate Garner says:

I am on board. It just sounds like fun.

4. suzi says:

It seems they have planned this out very well, and I am very excited to see two of my favorite teams work together.

5. a says:

a fun holloween ep….showcasing two great partnerships….whats not to love ? BRING IT

6. Denise Rambo says:

I can’t WAIT to see how Brennan deals with the whole concept of Crane and his backstory!

7. why says:

what if i dont watch bones.. :((

• drhenning says:

I’m not a regular watcher of Bones but it’s been on so long, it doesn’t matter… It’s always been religion vs science between Booth and Brennan even though they are now married… So it fits into the SH world.. Hope SH gets back to its Season 1 fun…

• Ryn says:

The way they’ve designed this, it sounds like you don’t have to watch both shows to still enjoy the story in the show you do watch. For SH fans who watch only the SH ep and aren’t familiar with Bones, Booth and Brennan will be guest stars that the SH characters consult with (and vice versa for Bones fans who don’t watch SH.)

Of course, Fox is hoping that fans of both shows will give the other show a chance, and that’s their right. They’re in the business of making money by getting people to watch their shows, after all. But if both of these don’t work as standalone eps of their series, I will eat my hat.

• bshaid says:

well, you won’t be that much out of the loop, being able to see how Hodges and Angela do the lab stuff…I watched sleepy hollow the first season but not since…

8. sam says:

I fell asleep reading that.

9. This is so stupid but the thought of Ichabod Crane explaining who he is to Bones is something that I can’t miss.

10. Melissa says:

I love this idea now and was completely against it initially. I love the idea of seeing both sides of the investigation: The Bones side will take an objective look at the evidence and likely dismiss or “disprove” any oddities and the Sleepy Hollow hour will be crazy fun learning what’s “actually” going on. Love it. Seemed like an idiotic idea but now I can’t wait!

11. Helen Jourde says:

I greet crossover shows like this with extreme skepticism.

12. Glen Williams says:

I don’t watch SH,but do watch bones. This is not a good idea for me.

13. Beth says:

That sounds like Fox trying to get more ratings for each show to me.

• John NYC says:

Which is sort of the point of every broadcast: market something the most people possible will choose to watch. They only get paid for viewers after all….

• Dmac says:

And what’s wrong with that? I think that is the whole point of any crossover.

14. SayNay says:

Still not convinced, but of course I’ll watch it anyway. Some of the more recent developments around SH with Abbie and the FBI and Joe Corbin have marginally convinced me that the beginnings of the season won’t be a complete CF.

15. alistaircrane says:

Ugh. Can’t believe I’m going to have to watch Bones after being able to avoid it for 11 years. :-/

• Lyn says:

It’s funny, but for me Bones & Booth are the two main characters and they are the two I could do without. I absolutely love Cam, Aristoo, Angela, Hodgins and all of the assorted squints. Brennan is just an annoying narcissist, and Booth is a clumsy tool.

• Retiree says:

I thought I was the only one with at opinion.

• Jen says:

Nope, I’m on the same boat with you. The husband and I stopped watching last year because Brennan’s egotistical, ‘I’m better than you’ attitude & her refusal to learn tact began annoying me more than I enjoyed watching the squints. =/

16. roy cox says:

it will be a cracker to see bones trying to carbondate crane lol

17. shardi2209 says:

I love both shows but I really hate this idea. I think it will be terrible for both shows.

18. Vicky says:

never going to work sounds terrible they are two totally different genres. What next The Fosters meets Criminal Minds?

• Steven says:

I’d watch that!

• John NYC says:

Well one of the moms IS a cop after all…..

• hell, the one crossover I would have loved to see, but that we’ll now never get, was Criminal Minds meets Dexter. (esp. if the BAU got to arrest Dexter)

Though admittedly as a reader of fanfic, and a crossover lover, crossovers between one more grounded show, and one more fantasy based show, have always been my favorites, because they give an outside pov on both.

• lichcoin says:

Actually, the mere fact they are different genres doesn’t exactly means it’s gonna be terrible. One of the reasons why a Bones/Sleepy Hollow crossover could work, is because there isn’t any conflicting mythology since as far as we know, there’s no reason that Bones isn’t set in the Sleepy Hollow universe. Bones main characters characters simply, like most people in that verse, have just never encountered anything supernatural.

Another is because despite their different backstories I can actually imagine Brennan and Ichabod hitting it off if only because they are both outside the “loop” so to speak (Bones social skills, pop culture and gossip knowledge are kinda weak and Ichabod still struggles somewhat with modern convenctions)

Who knows. It might crash and burn, it might be meh, it might be awesome. As a lover of fanfiction crossovers of clashing genres, I intend to watch it and find out which it is. Hoping for awesome :D

19. Steven says:

I like the idea of it being like The X Files. Kind of excited about this now!

20. bshaid says:

21. Gozer says:

“Look Bones, a Shark!!”
    “Think we can jump it?”
    “Yes, yes I do.”

22. rebecca says:

kinda see this as basically them advertising the new x files episodes early which i am totally behind!

23. Becky Glenn says:

They have only sparingly dealt with the supernatural on Bones – one episode with Bones mom in a kind of afterlife, and the episode with cyndi lauper playing a medium and talking to that dead kid. Now they’re throwing them into the deep end? It sounds like fishing for ratings.

• lichcoin says:

Or maybe it will be like the Simpsons Threehouse of Horror anual episodes that exist outside continuity and are just for occasional fan service with a theme.

• Karen Henley says:

That is exactly what it is!!!

24. dragons3 says:

I watch both shows, but they are so very different. It will be interesting to see how this goes. It will either be brilliant or a crashing disaster. I’m hoping for brilliant. And I doubt very much that Bones will have to “reconcile” anything about Ichabod. Very few people know who/what he actually is. To her, he’ll simply be a consultant who helps the cops or, since Abby is now FBI, the FBI.

25. smartysenior says:

This is extremely stupid, Bones is a facts only scientist who is going to meet a guy risen from the dead after 200 years? Just really not a good fit. If they make this someone’s dream I could see it, otherwise nope.

26. 1Maenad says:

For the love of all that is holy, please don’t do this abomination of a crossover! Wasn’t torturing us with Katrina enough? How much punishment can we, the fans, take?

• Angela says:

Well, it’s happening, so might as well get used to it (not like you have to watch if you don’t want to, after all). Also, not all of us fans hated Katrina.
      Anywho, sounds like an interesting premise. It’d be particularly nice for me if “Sleepy Hollow” were teaming up with a show I did watch, but I do know the basic premise of “Bones” and the main characters’ names, so I’ll be interested to meet the “Bones” characters and see how they work into this all the same :).

27. Tammy Ready says:

28. Sounds totally stupid. I’m already turned off by the ridiculous storyline of Booth relapsing into
    his gambling, screwing up his marriage and family life. I quit
    watching after the last scene in the episode where he had sworn to everyone he could handle going undercover as a gambler, then took a call from his bookie. I watched the last episode on demand after hearing they reconciled. It
    was still depressing.
    From what I’ve read, the new season sounds depressing enough without adding a stupid
    crossover with an incompatible show like Sleepy
    Hollow. As much as I’ve loved BONES in the past, maybe it
    should have ended on a high, happy note.

29. Orikes says:

This sounds a bit like a fanfic. I mean, Bones has never had anything supernatural in it before, so to suddenly introduce the magic and mystery of Sleepy Hollow into a show that’s always been about science and forensics… I don’t know I’m skeptical. Love the characters and hte idea of Bones and Ichabod interacting while Abbie and Boothe look on in frustration is gold, but do these characters actually exist in the same universe?

30. Leona says:

I know that Supernatural is owned by the CW but couldn’t fox had talked to them to make a Supernatural x Sleepy hollow crossover instead?!

I mean, it would have been legendary to see Dean and Sam team up with Ichabod and Abby!!!!

• I’d rather not, talk about a crossover that would make no sense. One of the reasons why a Bones/Sleepy Hollow crossover works, is because there isn’t any conflicting mythology. Since as far as we know, there’s no reason that Bones isn’t set int he Sleepy Hollow universe, the chars, like most people in that verse have just never encountered anything supernatural.

But since both SPN and SH deal with the apocalypse, and each have their own version of demons and the Four Horsemen, versions that conflict hugely with one another, a crossover between the two would be impossible, because you’d have to spend too much time on how both sides could work in the same universe. Or start messing with cross dimensional travel, which is just annoying for both;

31. Bill says:

I can not wait to see the interaction between Booth & Crane – should be priceless !!!

32. Pat says:

I cannot wait to see this. I am a Bones fan and I am also a Sleepy Hollow fan and this will be like two gifts wrapped up in one that I will be receiving! It would be nice if Booth and Bones find out where Ichabob came from but I guess that will be one secret that they will never be told.

33. Lynn says:

Hey Fox, you already have a show called the X-Files. You’re bringing it back remember? Also note to Fox and Chris Carter, the couple on Bones are married! See, you can have a couple that’s together investigating cases and the show wasn’t cancelled. I heard Mulder and Scully are broken up in the revival which I hate.

• Lyn says:

TV history is fairly riddled with successful married sleuths. Mr. & Mrs. North, Topper, MacMillan & Wife, Hart To Hart etc.

34. Ruth Ann Walker says:

Well, I have tried not commenting but find that my point of view is just as important. First & Formost, I am not a fan/nor watch supernatural, zombies, scary programs etc,, Just to graphic!!
    I just don’t think anthropology and zombies go together and Bones within itself is a whole completely different show. I will watch the crossover ONLY BECAUSE OF BONES & BONES ONLY. I am not trying to be mean spirited, but SH is not mt cup of tea. I say let each show SH & BONES do their own thing. On another issue concerning Bones, I just read an article where Mr Nathan stated ” that Booth & Brennan will have issues with each other………I ask??Season 10 was a great season, BUT hasn’t B&B been through ENOUGH?? How about Hodgins & Angela for a change?? One last comment I sure hope that Bones has enough Fan Base to keep them going into more seasons, with revenue’s from other TV channels airing re-runs, I would think the money is there!!!! One thing that hurts Bones, looks as if it will continue into season 11 with more ridiculous HAITUS’ES, and putting Bones on same night & time of a Presidential Debate??????????Sorry, I’m really, really not a negative person, I Love Bones and want it to continue beyond season 11.

• kmw says:

You should stop listening to what Nathan says. He is no longer the show runner, and even if that blip about them having issues was right, doesn’t every married couple have issues with each other at some point. Bones has 22 episodes to show and they need stories to tell. It doesn’t matter what night Bones is on they will always run into a bigger shows and stuff like debates and football and if Michael Peterson and Jonathon Collier can deliver good stories for Booth and Brennan and the rest of them( and convince Emily and David to stick around) Bones could get another year. I would like the new show runners to talk about Bones instead of Nathan. Right now it doesn’t seem like he has really left the show

• ana says:

but I do get your point…..

35. Rachmandani says:

What i thought its goona be sleepy hollow and supernatural.

36. b says:

I watch both shows so I’m game. I just hope this is done this wisely. Thursdays this fall suck with Scandal, Sleepy Hollow, The Blacklist, and The Originals on at the same time I’m going to watch Sleepy Hollow and DVR The Originals and give up on the other two at least until next season when one or more are moved to different nights

37. Madilyn Davis says:

2 of my favorite shows, hope these episodes are as great as it sounds!

38. R says:

I can see Brennan and Abbie getting along, while Booth has always been more willing to accept the unexplained (though for him it’s more rooted in faith).

39. Jennifer says:

So my big question is, How can this happen since both Booth and Bones left the show at the end of last season? Are they bringing them back and if so how?

• John NYC says:

The Booth and Brennan characters only decided to leave the Jeffersonian. They were not written off the show.

40. herman1959 says:

I was also totally against the crossover, but now that the plot has been explained I think it could work. I’ll watch the SH episode anyway.

41. marcia says:

I love Bones but not a fan of Sleepy Hollow!

I don’t think Bones fans are going to be happy with this. Fans were not happy with the 200 ep! Or when you guys took that long break when Emily had her first child.

42. loved x files should be a great show thanks

43. Rob Dowdy says:

The real problem, it seems to me, is that this is going to totally undermine Dr. Brennan as a character.

For the entire run of Bones, there’s been a lot of interplay between Booth and Brennan about religion and the supernatural. Brennan is a hyper-rational atheist, Booth is a man who very quietly but very deeply believes in God. Neither is ever given the upper hand, everything is always left open-ended enough that maybe Brennan is right and maybe Booth is right, or maybe it doesn’t really matter because they love each other and just kind of accept that the other doesn’t feel the same way about some things.

But now, Dr. Brennan is going to 100% for sure exist in a universe chock full of demons and witches and headless horsemen and magic and time travel and … you see the problem.

There’s no more balance. Booth is right (sort of) and Brennan is just plain old-fashioned 100% flat-out WRONG about EVERYTHING SHE BELIEVES IN.

They may somehow manage to leave it open-ended or hidden for the character of Dr. Brennan so we don’t have to watch her deal with having her worldview ripped out from under her, but that won’t change the fact that she’s just wrong. Everything she believes is wrong. Every time she talks about how science and rationality hold the only real truths humans will ever be able to find, the viewer will know that somewhere IN THE BONES UNIVERSE Ichabod and Abby are fighting demons or witches or looking for some magical talisman or who knows what.

It would have been absolutely no different had they done this with Dr. House! In the Bones universe, Brennan’s hyper-rationality and atheism are so integral to her worldview that she wouldn’t be HER anymore, just as House’s atheism and selfishness and nastiness defined him. What was it House always said? Oh yeah, people don’t change.

So now imagine Dr. House in a world full of all the Sleepy Hollow craziness … whether Brennan knows about it or accepts it, it becomes REAL in the Bones universe, meaning she goes from maybe being right about everything and at the very least having a valid viewpoint, to being 100% provably wrong.

What a horrible, pointless thing to do to a character that’s been built up over 10 years.

44. V.Gonzales says:

I’m so excited to see my two favorite shows team up. This will be mind blowing on how the four great minds work together on a case. I just can’t wait to see it.

45. Nicole Allen says:

I love boone and sleepy hollow and can’t wait to see the two shows combined what a great night it will be thanks for thinking of it and given me a sneak peek

46. Nicole Allen says:

I love bone and sleepy hollow and can’t wait to see the two shows combined what a great night it will be thanks for thinking of it and given me a sneak peek

47. coneyro says:

Unless it ends as a dream, bringing these two worlds together will undermine Bone’s complete humanistic philosophy. Everything about her atheist belief system will be proven false. I love both of these shows, but I cannot realistically imagine a scenario where the ideologies of each show can mesh in the same universe. Unless Brennan is not informed of Crane’s origins, I can’t see a smooth interplay between the characters. One side is based on fantasy, the other reality. Let’s see if it can be made into an interesting and plausible crossover.

48. Sara-JO says:

OMG! Brennan and Ichabod, I can’t wait to see how those two get along!!! Reading this just made me grin from ear to ear, can’t wait!

49. Shay Watkins says:

If this becomes cannon it will be very weird since in the episode of bones before the premiere hodgins said he wanted to get his work done quick so he could go home and watch the premiere of sleepy hollow on fox.

50. Andrew says:

As a fan of both shows, I am honestly upset that this crossover event is occurring. For Crane and Mills to show up in Bones detracts from the themes that make this show great. It is as awful and suspension of disbelief shattering as when the Scooby Doo movies have authentic supernatural events. I agree that the themes in both shows do align well, but the actual execution of a crossover is a terrible idea.