Ian McShane Game of Thrones

Game of Thrones Casts Ian McShane in Season 6 Mystery Role

Ian McShane is heading back to HBO with a small (but reportedly pivotal) role in Game of Thrones.

According to EW.com, which first broke the news, the Deadwood Emmy winner’s character will appear briefly in Season 6 as a character of “key importance.”

McShane will shoot his Game of Thrones cameo-of-sorts after he wraps his current one-season stint on Showtime’s Ray Donovan.

His GoT casting comes just days after HBO president Michael Lombardo essentially confirmed that the fantasy smash would conclude at the end of Season 8. “[The producers are] feeling like there’s probably two more years after six,” Lombardo added. “I would love for them to change their minds, but that’s what we’re looking at right now.”

Game of Thrones Season 6 is slated to premiere in April 2016.

Think you know who McShane is playing? Deposit your theories in the comments!

1. ABG. says:

I’m gonna say he’s one of the Greyjoys? Hard to predict anything this season.

2. hello says:

Howland Reed?

3. Officially calling it, he’s playing Aerys Targaryen

4. nate says:

So is Bryan Cranston gonna be on there to or is that a rumor

5. laura carr says:

I think he’ll be an uncle to Sansa, Arya, Rickon and Bran. since there fathers brother is dead he’ll be a tully.

6. shaun says:

Maybe voice acting for King of the White Walkers?

7. A-aron says:

I like the thought of him being aerys! The main 2 characters that came to mind for me were Jon connington and Arthur dayne

8. I think he’s perfect for Victarion

• DL says:

I was thinking Euron myself. Though I feel like they may combine those two characters anyway. Either him or Randyll Tarly is my guess. Though he’d be awesome as Aerys (and it would be in line with the rumors that this season will feature flashbacks to Robert’s Rebellion).

• Bob says:

I was definitely thinking victarion. When I close my eyes and think of victarion it’s almost like mcshane is meant for the role. The way Martin describes victarion is so similar to roles mcshane has played in the past.

9. Mr. Tran K says:

Great to see Ian McShane getting cast for the upcoming season of GoT. I’m fine whether the series will end after 7 or 8. #ForTheWatch

10. IMHO says:

He will always be Al Swearengen

11. eddie willers says:

About time!

12. Walkie says:

Love McShane. Can’t wait to see who he plays.

And by the way, McShane hasn’t won an Emmy. He won a Golden Globe.

13. Steve says:

Howland Reed makes the most sense, since they’d want to keep it a secret as to not spoil the likely Tower of Joy flashback there planning. Since the Tower of Joy may be a crucial element to Jon’s story, and sense Jon’s storyline for next season is top secret, its makes sense to not reveal who is playing. It would not shock me to hear of Sean Bean being spotted around the set either in the next few weeks.

14. rdc4206 says:

Randall Tarly or maybe one of the Greyjoy’s. if it is truly a mystery role it could be a flashback as Brandon Stark or way outside chance as Howland Reed. He could also be the Septon running the small group of men where the Hound is supposed to be on the Quiet Isle.

• Whatever says:

Thanks, and period. Because unless people havn’t seen it yet: There is no flachback in this series, it’s not like the book where they constantly talk about the past of the realm and its rulers. Soooo you’re right. COLDHANDS. No other possibility for such a charismatic actor.

15. Loktopa says:

Euron, casting was done for a pirate age 40 to late 50s. Lovejoy’s perfect.

16. Missy says:

Awesome! :D

• Barbara says:

I’ve wanted to see McShane on GoT since I read the books. I had envisioned him as Mance Rayder, but Ciaran Hinds did a fine job with the (truncated) role. Whatever he’s playing, I’ll be there, eagerly watching one of the best actors around.

17. The Crazy King and father (I mean, look at the man’s rowdy black hair) of Jon Tygarion…. This will explain the Red Witch pilling Jon’s unburnt odd from the embers and resurrecting him as Jon Tygarion – so it’s true Jon Snow is dead.

And instead of saying ‘Jon Snow’ is dead, they could have just said the actor would return and left it at that. Now a lot of people are going to consider them liars in a foolish attempt for a surprise resurrection, something most people expected anyway.

18. Learn from local conservation groups, natural product companies,
    and even check out the latest in hybrid car technology.
    The company brought several high quality dolls mad of composition,
    vinyl, rubber, hard plastic, and bisque. Ethanol and water mixed together create several
    unusual phenomena.

19. Very quickly this web site will be famous amid all blog
    users, due to it’s nice content