Doctor Who Maisie Williams

Doctor Who Boss on Maisie Williams' Character: 'She's Not Playing [Spoiler]'

Doctor Who fans, prepare to amend your theories about Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams’ mysterious role in Season 9.

“She is not playing a returning character,” showrunner Steven Moffat revealed Friday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour in Beverly Hills. “She’s a brand new character. She’s not someone from the Doctor’s past.”

Moffat is confident Doctor aficionados will not be disappointed by the reveal. “Once you see what she’s up to on the show, you’ll appreciate what a clever idea it was,” he said. “It’s a significant role. We’re not just getting star value and throwing it away. It’s a great part, and she’s terrific in it.”

Other takeaways from the panel:

* Will star Peter Capaldi follow in Matt Smith and David Tennant’s footsteps and exit the title role after three seasons? “Peter is going to play the part for the rest of time,” Moffat joked. “It’s the only job in television where everyone asks you when you’re leaving.”

* Clara’s “perspective on life has changed” in the new season, her portrayer Jenna Coleman previewed. “She’s no longer divided between Earth life and Tardis life. There’s a fearlessness and reckless abandon as she and the current Doctor throw themselves into adventures first.”

* As for Michelle Gomez’ Missy, “the role that she fulfills in the new season is rather different from what she did last season,” Capaladi teased. “She gives the Doctor a hard time.”

Doctor Who Season 9 bows Sept. 19 on BBC America.

1. shaun says:

So,the doctors Grandaughter like most people think?

• Anthony says:

Wouldn’t playing Susan count as a “returning character” from the Doctor’s past?

• aplwrites says:

Does it though? While this run takes into account previous cannon, it is a revival series of Doctor Who, so technically anything pre-Eccleston wouldn’t be returning to this show. It could be Moffat being a clever ass, or it could be completely genuine and Maise’s character is one that explains something from a while back.

• Kaiko E Mikkusu says:

Yeah. Moffat is like that, he could refer to Maisie as playing a new character even when she is playing a new incarnation of Romana or Susan or a next Doctor.

He has’nt revealed the first name of whoever Maisie is playing, either it’s a Clara-ish role in which there are two versions of the same character (or two characters who look the same)

Or it’s a regeneration of some Classic Who timelord.

What I actually think? She was a Gallifreyan loomed or born shortly before the Time War, who was sent away to be raised on Earth (a la Goku and Superman) and who is essential to finding Gallifrey again.

2. lrdslvrhnd says:

Gosh, Moffatt is sure we’ll be impressed with his cleverness, this always ends well…

(I still think she’s a youngified Clara, I don’t care what he says. He’s lied in the past, he’ll lie in the future.)

3. Donna says:

Steven Moffatt lies.

4. CJ says:

I hate to say it, but I am the least excited I have ever been about the show coming back. Last season was pretty painful, and I’m having a hard time trusting Moffat to turn things around.

5. sd1284 says:

1st rule: Moffatt lies.

6. Nick says:

I must be in the minority, but I actually liked last season and am excited for the new one. Clara has also really grown on me.

• Ben says:

I really liked it too.

• Nevada Queen says:

Nah. You’re in the vast majority. Last season was awesome with record high viewing figures all around the world and from what I read pretty well elsewhere, general agreement that it was either the best since 2005 or at least equal to the mighty season 5 when Matt Smith debuted. Capaldi has been outstandingly good and is already right up there with Tom Baker, Matt Smith and Patrick Troughton as one of the all time greats. Moffat has lifted his game too- ‘Listen’ may have been his greatest script. All good from where I sit and early word on season 9 is that it pushes boundaries further and according to cast and crew is the best the show has ever made.

• Mark S says:

Well said, Nevada Queen! I completely agree, season 8 was outstanding, apart from the odd blip (In the Forest of the Night being a let-down i think).

• Bob Backus says:

I disagree. It was barely watchable. BUT, it took a while for me to like David T. as the Doctor, so maybe Capaldi will grow on me, which is strange because I was really excited to see Capaldi and really thought he’d do well in it. After watching last season tho, I haven’t thought once about the show. Just plain bad.

• Bob says:

I’m sorry, but in what world is Matt smith one of the great doctors and not tennant?!

7. Steve says:

I feel like she could easily just be a young version of Clara. Perhaps Clara ends up in a place where the longer you stay the younger you get and The Doctor took to long to find her, thus she turned into Maisie. I also thought maybe Maisie is somehow a version of the Master, but that ones not as likely in my mind.

8. Sheldon W. says:

So, not Susan, then. Damn!

• She could be Susan in a different incarnation but being still not a returning character, since the Maisie Williams Susan and the Carole Ann Ford Susan would be technically two different people in the same way the First and Second Doctor are two different people in various ways.