Bill Cosby Allegations

Cosby Show Legacy 'Kind of Tarnished' By Bill Cosby Sex Scandal, Says EP

The Cosby Show‘s legacy has taken a hit in the wake of the growing scandal surrounding its star Bill Cosby, acknowledged one of the show’s top exec producers.

“I certainly think that at the moment the show is kind of tarnished,” Cosby Show EP Tom Werner told TVInsider. “But hopefully people can distinguish between the show and Bill. I think about all the great episodes that we’ve done and the impact that it had. I’m certainly hoping that people can continue to watch it.”

That’s assuming people can even find Cosby Show reruns. Several networks — TV Land, Centric and Bounce — have pulled the show from their lineups in response to accusations that Cosby sexually assaulted more than 40 women. (Previously sealed court documents from 2005 revealed that the comedian admitted to giving prescription drugs to multiple women for sexual purposes.)

“Certainly it’s a challenge right now,” Werner added. “But I’m hoping that time will pass and that all the great acting and the great stories and the memorable moments will still be able to be viewed.”

1. Chester says:

You think?

2. Mark says:

That’s kind of an understatement.

• Chester says:

—————————–

Seriously, this EP is on acid or something… and not very sensitive to the plight of the dozens of raped women.

I can’t even look at Cosby without getting the creepy crawlies and feeling a little nauseous.

• Patrick says:

This is a very self serving thing to say. This EP makes money off syndication re-runs. And it was probably a lot money. Money that has now stopped flowing. Of course he wants us to distinguish between the man and the character. He has a financial stake in this. As someone who worked closely with Cosby over the years, how much do you think he saw or knew?

• Bob Backus says:

Saw or knew nothing. Stop trying to spread the crap. Cosby no doubt hid his behavior from everyone. It evens mentions in his transcripts that Cosby tried to hid some of it from his wife. It really is stupid to try to spread the guilt to people who worked/knew him.

As for the show, or the comedy bits of Cosby that were my favorites all time “chicken heart”, I can’t watch or listen to them. He’s horrible.

• Andrea says:

I wish there was a way to withhold Bill’s money from him and only his money. It’s unfortunate that if the agents for any of the kids or Phylicia Rashad had negotiated syndication money for their clients, they are now being punished for Bill’s behavior. Bill Cosby is indeed a sleazy old man who has gotten away with criminal behavior, but The Cosby Show was memorable for its time. I’m Caucasian and The Jeffersons was the only other show that I remember watching that had main characters who were financially successful and African American. The Cosby Show does have a legacy in TV, and Bill Cosby wasn’t the only person to create it. it’s too that one person has been allowed to destroy it.

3. Christian says:

Thankfully I never liked this show (or 7th Heaven for that matter) so I’m not losing out.

4. Who exactly did Cliff Huxtable rape?

5. Jay says:

I loved the show growing up. I have to admit, I feel a bit sad I’ll never be able to watch it the same way again.

6. Sade says:

It doesn’t tarnish anything for me. One person did horrible things in reality but the character he played on television is just that a character.

• LT says:

SANE PERSON ^^^^^^ Can distinguish be reality and character. Learn from her people.

• thisismenow says:

If only TVLine had a like button. Honestly, there needs to be more sensible people like you.

• Gern Blanston says:

I’d agree with you except that Cosby tried to embody Cliff Huxtable to the public with all of his holier than thou proselytizing on the ails of Americans, especially the ails of African Americans. The distinction between Cliff Huxtable and Bill Cosby is not that large to even the most rational of people.

7. clynn says:

Maybe Cosby and all the people who enabled his behavior by looking the other way or covering it up, should pay the rest of the cast members a big pile of money to make up for all the residuals they have lost due to having the show virtually disappear from television.

8. Bhud says:

while I agree it has been tarnished a bit… look at all the horrible people we continue to support, like woody allen. annie hall is no less great knowing he slept with his daughter….

9. Michael says:

I really wish people could tell the difference between a person and a character. Cliff and Bill are not the same person. Bring back my Cosby show.

10. Emily says:

It’s not a “sex scandal,” TVLine. The word you’re looking for is “rape”. Shame on you.

11. pnak says:

It is amusing how top television executives for the COSBY SHOW are asking us to separate the man from the show when they themselves have spent years controlling public opinion to support the perception of Cosby’s untouchable, moral and social compass.

Most of us would wince if we saw Cosby on TV and shudder knowing that he was raping women between shows. Many of us can’t separate the message from the messenger. We understand your message Tom Wener but your machine created Cosby as the ultimate family man. Your machine ignored the transgressions towards those innocent women who’s lives have been damaged from youth. You were well aware of this.

Don’t insult our intelligence. Dr. Huxtable is gone for good.