Chris Harrison UnREAL

UnREAL Creator Reacts to Bachelor Host Chris Harrison's 'Terrible' Review

The Bachelor host Chris Harrison may think UnREAL is “terrible,” but his review is nothing short of delightful to the Lifetime drama’s co-creator.

Upon reading Harrison’s less-than-kind comments, “Honestly, I was thrilled. I was so excited because I was like, ‘Oh, my God, they noticed us!'” EP Marti Noxon told TVLine with a laugh at a Paley Center event for the series on Thursday. “His dislike of the show was not surprising to me, so it didn’t hurt my feelings.”

Not to mention, “any press is good press,” Noxon added. “But in this case, it was particularly fun. I’m like a nerd. The captain of the football team is talking about me, even if he’s saying, ‘Hey, nerd!'”

The drama’s stars are equally pleased to have the extra media attention. “We’re just happy people are talking about the show,” Shiri Appleby said.

And by dissing UnREAL, Harrison “admits that he watches it,” Constance Zimmer pointed out, to which Appleby responded, “It’s a win-win.”

Do Noxon and her cast have the right attitude about Harrison insulting their show? Sound off below!

1. Martoukian says:

As if anyone enjoying UnREAL cares what that piece of furniture thinks.

2. Karen O says:

Trololololol. UnReal is 10 times the show the Bachelor ever was.

3. diane says:

Good attitude to have, his not so much.

4. Ginger Snap says:

That’s a win for unReal.

5. wrstlgirl says:

Tee hee. Unreal – 1. The Bachelor – 0. The high road always wins :-) :-)

6. Jamie says:

I prefer to watch this show then stupid ass reality TV that not really real

7. Rachel says:

UnREAL is definitely doing something right. Had me hooked from the first episode which is hard to do these days. Kudos to you guys!

8. PixxieTrixxie says:

I’m watching Unreal and I’ve never watched the other show(s). Plus there is no bad publicity.

9. EM says:

Never saw the ABC show..just overexposed on the promo’s. Watch Unreal live and then again the next day on DVR.

10. c-mo says:

Nobody likes their dirty secrets revealed, Harrison is just afraid that people will now see that their version of reality is just as fictional as other scripted “non-reality” shows…or I guess even scripted “reality” shows. Team UnREAL all the way!!!!

• Patrick says:

There is a huge legal/litigation aspect at play here as well. Reality TV producers are currently fighting the idea that they are really “scripted” programs, and that the production staff should fall under the union rules governing scripted projects. If the “reality” productions have to operate under the same rules as scripted TV, then reality projects will get far more expensive to produce. If that happens, we’ll see far less reality programming. If this show gets expensive, Harrison might lose a very cushy job that pays him millions of dollars for a relatively small amount of work.

• c-mo says:

Please oh please let “reality” shows fall under union rules, less reality garbage on my tv would be oh so welcome!!!!!!!!!! “Reality” shows are another reason the rest of the world hates us…

11. Ron says:

I think Harrison’s comments point more to the fact that UnREAL hits a little too close to home (read: UnREAL is actually the reality of the situation). He sees the veil is being lifted, so he has to say whatever necessary to try and hide the truth.

• IMHO says:

Excellent point Ron.

• Lucifer says:

Oh come on. I enjoy UnReal, but if you actually think a scripted drama is “lifting the veil” then you’re as ignorant as people who think reality shows are 100% authentic. It’s just like Scandal, How to Get Away With Murder, and American Crime; They all take realistic situations, but then up the drama to make it much more intense and interesting. Even historical movies fake things because those stories wouldn’t make any money if they didn’t tweak the truth. Of course reality show producers trick people and get them to do or say things for the cameras. There’s a reason the bars in these types of shows are fully stocked and sometimes have bartenders. But UnReal takes it to another level that makes it even more fake than the shows they are making fun of. The only difference is that they acknowledge it’s fake.

Also, there have been several documentaries exposing reality shows (I think one was even on MTV) and people still watch them. So I suggest everyone just sit back and enjoy UnReal and stop pretending it’s A) realistic and B) the first jab at reality shows being fake.

12. Winter says:

Go Team Unreal! Honestly this is coming from the guy who thought it was a good idea to read the hate speech of nasty online trolls to the woman’s face. That was maybe the most disgusting things I have ever seen. Screw Chris Harrison and the Bachelor/Bachelorette.

• missvci says:

So agree. I also think the biggest “slut shamers” of Kaitlyn was ABC/The Bachelor. They are the ones who framed the narrative. The producer could have told her to own it and move on, instead you had half the season of Kailtyn harping on her “mistake.”

• Dmac says:

Or not emphasized it. The last 4 bachelorette’s have admitted to sleeping with more than one person when they were on the show and yet we didn’t hear about it like we have with Kaitlyn. They set up her up to create controversy and than get all offended when they are called out about it.

13. NJMark says:

If he should be annoyed about anything, it’s that “the host” isn’t really much of a character on “UnReal.” He’s just some outside guy who comes in to record the beginning and the end of each episode of Everlasting, and isn’t involved in ANY story line.

14. Lizzie says:

He should have just not said anything. I’ve had two co-workers who are avid Bachelor watchers ask me about UnReal since his comments came out. So Chris Harrison is giving them free advertising.

15. Jared says:

UnReal is one of the best new shows nobody seems to be watching. I’m just happy the show is getting some press.

16. B says:

Harrison’s criticism finally got me to watch unreal so I guess i’ve got to thank him for that! What a awesome and twisted summer show! Consider me hooked

17. meleliot says:

I stopped watching The Batchelor a few seasons ago. After watching Unreal I can’t believe I wasted my time caring about the love lives of those people who obviously are in it for reasons other than love. If The Batchelor people were smart, they would fess up to the blatant manipulation and just turn it into something like a 1/4 reality – 3/4 scripted show. I might just watch that!

18. I haven’t watched UnREAL yet, but at least its a show with REAL actors, and writes, instead of a stupid reality show!