Looking Season 3

Looking Cancellation: HBO Boss Talks 'Painful' Decision to End Series

The decision to pull the plug on Looking was not made lightly, according to HBO president Michael Lombardo.

The cabler’s top exec told reporters Thursday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour in Beverly Hills that “ending that show was, on a personal level, very painful for me” but noted that Looking‘s weak ratings “didn’t support us going forward” beyond Season 2.

“I thought the show, creatively, was really doing something that I hadn’t seen on any other show, particularly dealing with gay lives,” Lombardo added. “As a gay man, in particular, I was very proud that there was a show that felt like it was dealing very honestly and openly with gay men and their lives, without putting them into a comedic mode.”

Lombardo has such affection for the series that, in lieu of a Season 3, he commissioned a two-hour wrap-up movie, which is slated to begin production this fall ahead of an early 2016 premiere date. “There were some fans that really wanted to find a finale with the storylines,” he said of the pic. “[And the writers] wanted to wrap up storytelling for the characters.”

1. MrScreenAddict says:

It’s HBO! I thought ratings didn’t matter. Looking could hardly have been a very expensive show for them to make, so I don’t really understand this decision. Still bummed about it, but at least we’re getting the movie to wrap things up.

• Poster4392 says:

I blame Augustine. Although he wasnt nearly as terrible a character in season 2 as he was in season 1. I still blame him. I really liked his season 2 relationship with the guy from Mean Girls.

2. prish says:

I feel for the fans of Looking. After many painful cancellations in our household, the past few years, I’ve come to the conclusion it probably has something to do with if the shows are producing orders for expensive shows from the viewing cable accounts.

3. Lilly77 says:

I loved this show. If it was so painful to cancel, they instead should have promoted it more, moved it round the schedule, or do other things I see happen for some lower rated series.

It was unique. I’m glad for the movie, but it sucks that it is gone.

4. Brandon says:

So I’m going to say that I watched this show for about three episodes and I’m a gay male but I just wasn’t able to connect really or feel drawn in. I think it had to do a lot with the dry writing to be honest. The actors are there but the writing wasn’t in my opinion.

5. David4 says:

The show is getting a two hour finale. That’s more than 98% of canceled shows ever get.

6. Jared says:

Looking was a great show. Im just happy HBO decided to end it with a 2 hour wrap up movie.

7. Will says:

Maybe they’ll do a reboot in a few years /sarcasm
    I liked Looking well enough, but it felt like work at times to watch it so I get why it was canceled. ‘Looking’ forward to the movie though! ^_^

8. Morgana O'Rourke says:

I will miss the show! I myself am a trans woman and I loved seeing a show like this. I hope to be able to purchase both seasons and the movie. I loved watching Patrick and his romantic hyjinks. And I want to know if Dom’s restaurant gets famous. Oh and I want to know if Doris and her man get married! Does Patrick Stay with Kevin or Richie realize that he really wants to be with Patrick? The suspense is making my brain go Squeee!

9. brett says:

im not even gay, and it has by far been one of my favorite shows ever. such real characters, relatable stories and event. if anything i dont think it shouldve been put with “girls” as it was referred to as the “gay girls” and was not properly promoted. it is/was the most underated show on television. sad to read this

10. John Cassullo says:

I just started watching this show and had no idea it was ever on.. Its brilliant!!! Its unfortunate HBO didn’t advertise for it much or the ratings would have been much better in my view.

11. Gregg sweigart says:

I really like “Looking” on HBO . I think it really takes a much closer look at the relationships of the gay Community. I’m really interested in seeing where this goes. Please have a season three.

12. Dan Gehringer says:

Looking was a great series. I really wanted to know what happen with Ritchie

13. D C says:

What a horrible decision by HBO to pull this unique show. Great writing, story line and excellent acting. I will miss it big time. One of the finest series HBO has ever had.

14. Jeanette says:

Give the show another chance!! Promote it more! so amazing actors and a wonderful written story! We need more series which are about homosexual and bisexual people!!! Please give this series another change and make a season 3!!

15. Lisa says:

I’m so sad about this. I found this show randomly one night and was hooked. I feel like people didn’t get the chance to know and discover this great show. Happy they will do a finale to end things right.

16. Gabriel Rafael says:

I love Looking. It’s been the sole Gay tv series ever that is truly face value, real and honest. For that matter, maybe the most human show I’ve seen in decades. Can’t we talk about this?? How about Pay Per View. or books…. but then all that terrific acting would not showcase. But… please???

17. Sidney says:

I watched it on the plane on my way to United State last year in August. I was hooked by its characters and how each one play their role in any Gay community would have !
    It’s still is a Great Show! I agreed with other viewers that it needed Promotion!
    Am From Tanzania, Dar es salaam !
    A Gender Non Conforming Person.

18. MAtthew says:

I Can’t wait for the movie I want to see how it Goes down. I hope Patty finds a sense of who he is and it doesn’t have to be based off of other people in his life. I hope Dom finds Love and Happiness with his soulmate, whether it be a guy or his bestie Doris. And Augustin had such a good story line in season 2 I hope he comes fully circle of his thoughts.

19. Gregg sweigart says:

Just wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed watching Looking on HBO.

20. Shawn says:

Looking helped me a lot in understanding the person that I am. I was very dissapointed after i learn that there will be no more season. The poor rating shows how much the world is still judgy dealing with the gay subject. I am a person who is still in the closet but the series have taught me a lot and gave me hope. I am proud to be who i am on the inside and only if there was another season i would have eventually come out….the first two season made me come out to my sister alone and it felt exhilarating. I am in love with Looking