Game Of Thrones End Date

Game of Thrones Poised to End With Season 8, HBO 'Open' to Prequel

Winter is coming — and so is the end of Game of Thrones.

“I think seven seasons and out has never been the conversation; the question is how much beyond the seventh season are we going to do,” Michael Lombardo, President of HBO Programming told reporters Thursday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour in Beverly Hills.

“[The producers are] feeling like there’s probably two more years after six,” Lombardo added. “I would love for them to change their minds, but that’s what we’re looking at right now.”

As for whether or not HBO might follow up Thrones‘ run with a prequel series, Lombardo said, “I would be open to anything [the producers] want to do. There’s enormous storytelling to be mined in a prequel. … At this point, all the focus is on figuring out the next few years with this show.”

Lombardo also addressed the fate of Jon Snow, telling reporters, “He be dead. Yes. From everything I’ve seen, heard and read, Jon Snow is dead.” (So there you have it… again.)

Thrones fans, would you be OK with the series ending after Season 8? And what about this hypothetical prequel being bandied about? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Dean says:

If it is true the show has had a great run. I’m just hoping the mother of dragons gets some punishment for the inane unreasonable decisions she’s made recently.

2. DB & Weiss have always said they wanted to end in 7 so if this is true, that’s much better than their plan; I don’t think you could end this story 20 hours from where it left off.

3. i wish it would go longer but i understand why shows quit sooner rather than later usually i think the show is awesome and probably make a good prequel to it as well 8 seasons is an awesome run for it

4. Snow is coming back as a walker. Dead but still in the show.

5. Will says:

The name, Jon Snow, is dead. ;-)

6. AddieM says:

The real question is will he stay dead?
    If Jon Snow’s dead dead (with no resurrection) then it might as well end now.

• Temperance says:

Dude, magic’s back. Staying dead is… not likely.

• AddieM says:

This is GoT we are talking about… the showrunners & GRRM are not afraid of shocking people and squashing all theories..I’ve learnt never to assume with GoT

• Mortallyinsane says:

Stannis is dead so Melisandre now knows he’s not the lightbringer or whatever. She’ll remember Jon Snow, realize he’s the lightbringer and resurrect him. I’m convinced this is what happens due to prior speculations about Jon’s parents.

7. AddieM says:

It would be nice if it could go on for 10 seasons.. 100 episodes of GoT

• Bob Jones says:

I don’t understand why they don’t go to 10 seasons either . . . 100 episodes of pure HBO goodness. If they could get a true Sci-Fi space show, I would buy HBO

8. Mo says:

I have this fear of my favourite TV shows extending one/ two seasons past their natural end date, so to me if the writers/ producers have a game plan in mind to end the show with good plot lines, writing and conclusions with no loose ends, then I am all for it. Better to go out on a high!

• msbellalugosi says:

Yeah, I’m sick of shows overstaying their welcome and declining in quality over money. I’m even more sick of people who want them to keep going.

• Allee says:

coughDowntonAbbeycough. I’m glad to have a definite end date, implying a plan. Hopefully also means all the actors will stay on as long as they need to (I remember reading that Dinklage had an initial 6 year contract, so does that mean Tyrion will die or, I hope, they’ll extend that). I’m sort of looking forward to seeing how it ends, so that means it does need to end at some point. Three more years is a lot. It’s good.

9. m3rcnate says:

Hmmmm….here’s the thing. This could be amazing…..or average (which would kinda tarnish the mother-ship GOT series) or it could be awful.
    A lot of shows have come out, and been really good…you wonder why are they so good? Well…they are going off of source material that has already been made. The Walking Dead is good but they are creating a show with the foundation of an already written amazing Graphic Novel. Same with Justified and the book/book series it was based on. Same with all the comic book shows, same with so many popular shows on TV recently.
    So when you decide to create something original in that same universe (like TWD is with Fear the Walking Dead) you are in a difficult spot…you are going up against your own show (not in time-spot but quality) and you don’t have the crutch of source material to lean on. You are constantly being compared to the mother-ship show as well.
    Now Fear-TWD looks really good in its trailer, so i’m pumped…but a GOT prequel could end up feeling like S2 of True Detective feels right now (a poor imitation of the original).
    BUT, i will take my GOT anyway i can get it. If they had a outline from GRRM on what happened before the first book and went from there, i would be really excited. Gotta make sure GRRM has his voice heard, because he created that universe, just because the books and TV show are showing a certain time frame doesn’t mean the before and after aren’t extremely important to be canon as well.

• Zach says:

They could easily adapt GRRM’s Tales of Dunk and Egg, which takes place 90 years before the series starts. A lot of the history prior to the beginning of the series has been fleshed out within the books too. There’s definitely a lot of content for them to mine.

10. Drew says:

I bet George R R Martin is super excited to find out how it ends!

11. sherry says:

i really dont like prequels for any kind of shows if they keep killing off main characters then season 8 is enough if they stop killing the main characters off it could go for a few more years but i wouldnt watch prequels

12. If they go the prequel route, bring that sexy Sean Bean back and don’t kill him

• Jack says:

Well, they would not kill him in the prequel, seeing as how he is kind of alive when the regular series starts

13. N says:

Jon Snow is dead, Jon Stark is just getting started. I think having an end date figured out for the show is extremely beneficial to the storytelling. Look at what Breaking bad was able to do knowing they only had 16 episodes left to work with. Lost, though never as great as the first season, got better when ABC gave them 3 seasons to end the show. As much as I would hate to see it go, id rather Thrones go out with a bang then jump the shark.

14. Jess says:

He may be dead, but homie isn’t staying dead. You’re not fooling anyone, HBO.

15. Steve says:

As much as I love GOT, Jon Snow being dead and off the show might be the end of the show for me. So much time as been spent with Jon and the questions surrounding him that to wrap it up with him dead and gone would be the nail in the coffin. That being said,there is know way the Jon Snow doesn’t come back in some way or fashion. Maybe as his wolf, maybe as Jon Stark, or as the Lord of Light or even the legendary Azor Ahai. Any which way they choose, Kit Harrington is not done with this show.

• Tatjana says:

My thoughts exactly, so much building up around that character and then nothing… yeah right. Now I understand why they didn’t bring back Lady Stoneheart , sacrificing Shireen, Melisandre at the wall… too much.. GoT is not that pointless

16. anto33 says:

I would like to see Robert’s rebellion.

17. BrianR says:

As long as it ends with Dany on the Iron Throne and Cersei being her slave or dragon food.

18. David P. Graf says:

I do not care whether GoT ends in seven or eight seasons. The important thing is to give the fans an ending that won’t leave them howling in disgust as happened with both BSG and Lost.

• Speak for yourself. Plenty of people loved the ending of LOST.

…Now if you want to talk Dexter, that’s a whole different league of it’s own

• Drew says:

Agreed. I loved both Lost and BSG.
        Dexter… I had problems with a lot of things toward the end of the show. Especially what they did with Deb.

• David P. Graf says:

Regarding BSG, even Ron Moore has said openly that many fans thought it was the worst finale in the history of science fiction shows. If you liked it, that’s fine but it wasn’t just my opinion.

• David P. Graf says:

Considering how JJ Abrams has often and openly discussed the enormous backlash by fans of LOST over the finale, I don’t think it’s just a matter of just one person’s opinion. If you enjoyed it, that’s good.

19. Harry P. Clifford says:

It seems to me that it if your ratings are climbing and not falling then calling out n end date / seasons is not called for. You have a golden goose and you are already preparing it for slaughter three years in advance. You also might want to consider not advertising your end date as it will bring declining ratings early and you may end up eating goose eggs at least a year earlier.

20. 8 seasons is a damn good run, and given how things are going that makes sense. Probably the only thing beyond that I’d really like is something like a prequel, which has the events leading up to the rebellion against the Mad King and such.

• Maryann says:

I would love a prequel as long as it is far enough in the past to be its own separate story and has at least the bones of the plot from Martin.

21. Revenger says:

I think 8 seasons is fine! Of course I will be sad when it ends because it will go down as one of the best tv shows in History. I do think at one point too many characters will die and no original cast will be left. Then it is time to end it

22. Missy says:

I never want my shows to over stay their welcome, so 8 Seasons absolutely works for me :)

23. A fan of TV says:

I still think the party line is ‘Jon is dead,’ but Jon will be resurrected.

24. Sara says:

I would love a prequel!!!!!!!!!!!!! damn I need to know what the hell was going on during RObert’s Rebellion!!!!!!!! plus it seems so interesting and it would be nice to get to know characters like Rhaegar Targaryen, and not just hear about him from other characters.

25. dman6015 says:

Why is anyone still questioning whether Jon Snow is dead? Dead is dead in GoT. He’s gone. Now stop with the crazy conspiracy theories and move on, people.

• Jack says:

Not debating if he is dead. What people seem to be debating is if he will stay dead, and if he will be on the show, dead or not. Them saying “Jon Snow is dead” means nothing.

26. Louise Leamen says:

If John Snow is not really dead and just wounded that would be great as I very much like the character. After the death of Reek and Sansa jump to their death,Ramsay did not show if he was grieving or not. I have not read the trilogy yet. Even so, they should put that part in as I believe it is important to the story line. They also have to show Sansa’s uncle as I know he really did love her and he would be truly heart broken. That is my take on the show.

27. mewp12 says:

It would be nice to include what was left out of the books. Which was at least half. There was so much story to be told. This last season made little sense to anyone who had read the books.

28. laura carr says:

I think it I would be said to see it end after 8 seasons but I understand needing a break. yes I would be open to a prequel I would love to see the back stories of the four houses

29. Francesca says:

it means either robert’s rebellion or the tales of dunk and egg

30. Dorett says:

Shame, shame, shame, I love this show you can’t leave it at the finale of season 8, it is not finished there is more to be told about the unfinished tales in this story – give us one more series and tie up all the loose ends.

31. Mr. Tran K says:

I’m fine whether GoT will end after 7 or 8. Don’t want to see more.

32. Blanca says:

It really does not matter that the band itself is ALRIGHT
    with the term.

33. Hannah says:

what kind of a show kills all the “good” characters. Jon Snow’s death makes no sense, leaving all the rotten characters like the father who burned his daughter at the stake and his so-called deserting witch. This series is going down hill fast! What happened to the crippled son? All the characters left are pure evil or becoming evil! hannah

34. Shelby says:

Second, you will obtain extraordinary customer care!

35. Siobhan says:

Issuing quarterly hallmark status records permitting easy monitoring of the
    condition of every firm hallmark anywhere in the globe.

36. Wilhemina says:

The lesbian and also gay community sent testimonies saying it had
    not been angered by the term.

37. Derek says:

I’m hoping for 10 seasons, 100 episodes will have great re watch value while shorter series are harder to rewatch because its easy to remember everything that happens.

38. Cynthia card says:

Love game of thrones!!! It’s a family event!! My husband had to catch up for season two, when ha finally got how true great it is

39. Geneva says:

Game of thrones is amazing showing somewhat of the insight of those times, don’t stop

40. David says:

Prequels suck if you’re going to be done with story telling of Games of thrones in season 8 then be done with it, and make it the best damn season 8 ending that can be filmed! It’s obviously the producers can’t keep it going do to there lack free mind!

41. Le Sri Lanka se visite toute l’annee, a condition de
    bien choisir son parcours !

42. Rhonda Brennan says:

Please keep it going! I just love this show and can’t get enough! Please! !!!

43. Tiffani Howard says:

My tv bestie and I were doing our normal discussion about the upcoming GOT season release in April 2016, including scenarios we saw during the previews. We asked ourselves this hypothetical question which was “When do you think the end of GOT series will be?” I googled it and to our mutual horror we found out that producers are interested in closing this out for Season 8. In answer to your question would fans be ok with this, HELL NO! Rhonda and I believe GOT is a lifelong franchise likened to Star Wars and Star Trek. Don’t play games with us. We wait all year for this show. Rhonda along with many other People would drop HBO after the season ends and immediately add it back when the season begins. Don’t have us come picket the HBO headquarters. Yall gotta do something, you all made us this way. Hire other writers; bring in fresh perspectives and let the show go on.

As for a prequel that is welcomed. But after the prequel ends like as was done in the Spartacus series, you still gotta go back to present day issues. Don’t play with us. We are prepared to fight for more Games!!!!!! Lol, lol, lol :) But we are serious!

44. Debby says:

I think Game of Thrones should have a season 9 and 10th
    It is an awesome show with high rating every season , why finish now
    Listen to the fans

45. Somnath says:

I think every true fan would want the show to end on its own terms. Prolonging the series would dilute the meaning and brilliance of each episode, and I don’t think any of us want that.