Trevor Noah Daily Show

Trevor Noah on His 'Slightly Different' Daily Show and the 'Immense Pressure' to Make Jon Stewart Proud

Jon Stewart’s Daily Show successor Trevor Noah faced the media Wednesday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour in Beverly Hills, and herewith are the key takeaways from the Q&A.

* On how his Daily Show will differ from Stewart’s Daily Show: “In terms of the show physically, we’re obviously changing the sets a tiny bit. We’re still dealing with the same issues. Issues are not really changing in America and the world…. [But] the way we look at the same story will be completely different.”

* On filling Stewart’s sizable shoes: “The biggest pressure for me is living up to the expectations that Jon has of me. Jon believes in me. There’s an immense pressure to keep the flagship going. It’s about the show first. I understand the comparisons. I understand people will initially go, ‘This guy’s not Jon Stewart.’ And I’m glad I’m not. That would be a disservice to him.”

* On the Twitter-related controversy that nearly overshadowed his Daily Show appointment: “When you replace someone, bring in someone new, someone’s going to say something about it… I didn’t know what the thing would be. I knew that something would come up… Funnily enough, Twitter changed. Now Twitter’s become the negative place where people go to give horrible reviews about TV shows and things that they don’t like. But there was a time when Twitter was a place where everyone was making jokes.”

Noah takes the Daily Show reins beginning Sept. 28.

1. Byron says:

My opinion: He is fine, I’ll certainly give him a chance and watch the show, but Jessica Williams would have been a much better choice – I think she has a similar sensibility for what the show has become.

2. Abe Froman says:

I’m really confused about this transition. They should have been using him a lot these past weeks and months so viewers get to know him better. But I don’t think I’ve seen him once on the air since they announced the change. Weird.

• elf says:

I think they didn’t want to distract from Jon. Let him have his victory lap without the new guy lurking about.

• maggie says:

I’m confused as to why they hired him to be the new host after having only being on the show three times, and he wasn’t funny any of those times. He was new and uncomfortable, and they haven’t given him any chance to get comfortable and improve his delivery. I’ll give him a chance, but I would rather have had Wyatt Cenac, Samantha Bee, or Jessica Williams.

3. mrnoname11 says:

Jon Stewart should have stayed until the Elections. Jon Stewart was at his best during the political season. I doubt a guy from South African will have anything meaningful to say. He’ll rub people the wrong way. Like when Piers Morgan took over for Larry King. They should have hired an American comedian who knows about American culture and politics.Their are many talented comedians who are better than Trevor Noah.

• Angela says:

I dunno, sometimes it seems people from other countries have a better understanding of how our country and political system works than we do. I think we could use more outside perspectives from time to time.

• mrnoname11 says:

I don’t know how accepting Daily show viewers will be. An outside opinion may come off as condescending if done incorrectly. You have to be very talented to pull it off. Jon Oliver pulled it off because he has years of experience. From what I’ve seen of Trevor Noah, he’s not that great.

• Angela says:

I agree how the message is delivered is important, but if the “Daily Show” fans I’ve talked to are any indication, I think they’ll be open to that kind of humor. This show has trafficked in condescension and snark with certain viewpoints and issues over the years as it is, so I don’t think that’ll be the thing they care about most when it comes to Trevor. All they’ll mostly be interested in is if he’s funny (and I’m on the fence about that, too, personally-the couple times he’s appeared have been kind of hit and miss. But sometimes it takes a while for people to find their groove, too).
          Plus, let’s face it, the U.S. can be, and has been, pretty condescending when commenting on what’s going on in other countries. Either that, or we demonstrate some shocking ignorance about world issues, yet still feel the need to comment on or get involved in them despite that ignorance). So perhaps some turnabout’s fair play?

• I think Jon Oliver is giving pretty good insight into the USA over on HBO. Trevor is not exactly just off the boat in the USA either.

• Julia says:

You are obviously ignorant..he’s from South Africa. Well you are an American but seem to have nothing meaningful or intelligent to say either….
      If he’s rubbing you the wrong way because he’s an immigrant then don’t tune in..simples!
      So what if he’s an immigrant, the whole world knows about US politics at times even better than the Americans themselves.

• mrnoname11 says:

I personally don’t like unfunny foreigners, who think they know us, poking fun at our culture and politics. Trevor Noah will be the death of the Daily show. Comedy Central has made their fare share of screw ups over the years. This is one of them.

4. Robby says:

I can see that he’s got his “I’m a liberal and I’m better than you” smirk down pat!

MOTS, hard left and consrevatives are idiots and mentally slow. Sorry, Stewart gave me my fill of that crap! PASS!

• Angela says:

Riiiiiight, because conservatives NEVER act like that towards liberals.

• Robby says:

Look at Stewart, Maddow, Hayes, Andrea Mitchel, Ed Shultz, American’s leading Irish Drunk Chris Matthews and Crazy Larry O’Donnell.

No conservatives have ever come near to what these six have slanded and libeled like they have!

• DL says:

It’s always been a left-leaning show. Is that not allowed? You don’t have to watch it, you know. If you thought you were going to get unbiased news from a New York comedian, I don’t know what to tell you.

5. Robby says:

Oh, how I miss Craig Kilbourn.

6. Jooshua says:

I saw Trevor Noah on Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee and he seems like a rather intelligent bloke. I’m rooting for him.

7. Julia says:

I’m pretty sure he will be fine…there will be some growing pain here and there but I believe he should just make this show his own and that should be fine. People will always find something negative to say…nothing new there.
    Sounds like a cliche..but he should just be himself, people will love him for that. I’m rooting for him even though I will miss Jon

8. Preacher Book says:

He’ll be fine. Noah has a great delivery, a strong social conscience and an experienced production team behind him.

9. elf says:

Something I think a lot of people overlook is the contribution of the writers on the show. It’s not as if Jon Stewart scripts every word that comes out of his mouth. He’s got a room full of writers and he gets the final say and edit. So it’s not as if Trevor Noah is going to come in and be limited to talking about what he knows and experiences. He’ll draw on the writers just as much, and sure, it might take a while for the writers to find Noah’s voice and perspective, but I’m confident they’ll get there.

• Angela says:

Excellent point. So long as he’s got the writers and whatever correspondents are there for him to play off of and create fun segments with, he’ll likely do just fine :).

10. I’m sure it’ll be a bouncy transition, but as the election rears closer he should have plenty of chances to really swim. Hell the cartoonish era of the primaries isn’t going away anytime soon. Hell Trump probably has enough bank or whatever to float to the primary vote so the gift from the comedy gods could last a whole other year. If Noah can’t prove himself by then, that’ll be the sign that it’s not working.

11. Mandy says:

Trevor’s social commentary is hilarious. You need to be ‘on it’ or you will miss the references and thereby the punchline. A little bit more understanding of current events also helps when listening to him. He is very intelligent, sharp and quick on his feet!

The one thing I can say is you will not agree with him some of the time but that doesn’t matter. Life would be boring if we were homogeneous right?

Hopefully people will let him ‘do him’ and not expect him to be someone else beacuse he is a really funny guy.

12. David says:

For total awkwardness, his first guest should be Craig Kilborn. :)

13. Mark D. Moss says:

I’m gonna give Noah a chance, because the show deserves something more than a flash dismissal based just on a few lame appearances and a handful of somewhat unskilled tweets … but, that said, I’m bothered more by his flip and un-self-aware response to the criticisms than I am by the trip-ups in the first place. The reaction to the tweets, for instance, is not simply “because the public would react negatively to anyone replacing Jon” … it’s because the “jokes” were unfunny, laden with racial and gender stereotypes, and punching *down*. If he’s going to succeed with TDS, Noah is going to have to understand that the targets are the “Powers that Be” and not do a “Tosh reads the news while rolling his eyes” thing. Here’s hoping … but regardless we’ll have John Oliver and, hopefully, Sam Bee’s new TNT show to guide us through the election in the offing.

14. Mark D. Moss says:

P.S. to the TVL team: Can you PLEASE do something about all the ugly flash ads that made the site run like it’s got oatmeal in it’s veins? I want you to have all the revenue you need, but, surely, your advertisers would be better served by *current* technology that isn’t so kludgy.

15. Dianne says:

I have seen his standup and he is so funny! I think he is so fresh and adorable! Can’t wait!!!!