Scream Season 2

Scream Renewed for Season 2

It’s official: MTV is scaring up a second season of Scream.

The announcement was made Wednesday during the Television Critics Association summer press tour in Beverly Hills.

“[W]e are thrilled by how our viewers have responded to the reinvention of Scream,” reads a statement from MTV EVP Mina Lefevre. “We look forward to another season filled with suspense, horror and more twists and turns.”

Scream debuted last month to 1.03 million total viewers (in Live+Same Day ratings), and in recent weeks has been hovering around the 800K range.

The series, now five episodes into its first season, centers around a small town rocked by the possible return of legendary serial killer Brandon James. At least four important characters have been murked thus far, beginning with Bella Thorne’s Nina Patterson. The second season will continue with the current crop of characters.

Scream addicts, what’s your latest theory? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Paul says:

Okay, the first season has been reasonable so far.

I just wish it wasn’t so disconnected from the film series. I mean, it’s good that the show is forging it’s own identity and it does use a similar formula to the movies but… it wouldn’t hurt to say, throw in a mention of the Stab film franchise.

Just a little thing here or there to indicate that it’s set in the same universe.

I’m sure that’s something the fans would appreciate.

• Ghostface says:

I’d rather them remain separate to the point that at least a few vets from the movies have cameos as different characters. The show isn’t horrible, but it’s just not the same as the movies. And I hate to say it, but the acting isn’t all that good.

• Marco says:

They apparently did have one (when Noah monologued about slasher tv series, someone was supposed to say ‘it worked for Stab’) but they cut it…

• Storm savage says:

The stab films don’t come in until the secnd movie – so they wouldn’t appear until the second season- theoretically.

• Johnny Chunders says:

Maybe they could still do this in season 2.. Like have the two storylines meet somehow.. If the killer isn’t killed in the end, maybe they could wind up in jail or a mental institution with one of the characters from the movies.. And they could join the cast. Maybe even have it set in a mental home.. Orrrr take a leaf from Halloween 2 end with the last survivor in hospital and have it set in a hospital!

• Zack says:

Does anyone know what day and time the second season will start

2. Ross says:

I’m kinda enjoying it so far but the last two weeks have been dragging things out with barely a glimpse of the killer or any murders. I’m worried it’s going to veer in to Pretty Little Liars territory with a mystery dragged out for seasons, but none of the Scream characters are interesting enough to drag that out. Take notes from The Killing please MTV and give this season a resolve with killer(s?) revealed and a new story for next year.

• damroberts744 says:

I think they will, in last weeks episode they kind of made fun of Pretty Little Liars.

• Fido says:

It’s easy to make fun of PLL streeeetching things out when Scream was only going to be a one season wonder. Now it has another season to fill (and possibly more) the Scream writers might find it hard not to repeat all those things they previous dissed PLL for doing.

• DL says:

Yeah, I agree. Really hope Scream is anthology-style with a new town and new murders every season.

• thisismenow says:

There’s a full story and a resolution. The show runners have stated that in several interviews. If it continued, the next season would have a new killer and a new motive.

• Storm savage says:

Episode 8&9 will leave you hanging but not in a PLL annoying way. They start dropping hints to who it could be in episode 7

3. AJ says:

really hope they take anthology approach and have new cast next year. cast is weakest part of the show. needs some characters that pop like original franchise.

• DL says:

Only actor I really like on the show is Willa Fitzgerald as Emma. She basically carries the entire thing. Without her I don’t think this first season would be close to as good.

• Andrew says:

@ AJ – The article says, “The second season will continue with the current crop of characters,” meaning it won’t be an anthology.

• AJ says:

yeah, I see that now. well hopefully there is a high body count still to come this season. clean house of all the sub-par actors and add better fresh blood for next season. Brooke and Audrey really only characters care about at this point.

• Andrew says:

@ AJ – I agree. As far as I’m concerned, everybody else can die except for Maggie, Audrey, and Noah. They’re the only ones I like so far, although Emma is ok (but not a favorite).

4. Josh says:

I wish they would make Emma smarter. She did something so dumb at the end of the episode after what was revealed at the end of the last episode

5. bryce says:

Wish you would compare those ratings to others on the network. Are those on par with Teen Wolf? I have no idea if they really are good or bad for the network, but they’re useless to include in the story unless we have a benchmark to compare them to.

• damroberts744 says:

Its on the lower end of MTV’s television spectrum. Awkward and Teen Wolf seem to reign supreme, but most of the other shows fall around what Scream is doing.

• Aubrey says:

actually Awkward and Teen Wolf aren’t doing too good themselves, Awkward once averaged close to 2 million views per episode but fell flat sometime during S2 and S3. Teen Wolf on the other hand had an average of 2 million views during it’s first 3 (and a half) seasons but early during S4 the ratings plummeted to barely 1M per week.

• ScottJ says:

I don’t know where you get your information from, but nearly all the S1-S4 ratings I can find average around the 1.75M mark..some up a bit, some down a bit. The S5 ratings so far seem to taking a dive though.

6. nate says:

Emma can’t act for sh*t. Every time she “cries” I cringe.

• DL says:

I think she’s pretty good, actually. Easily the strongest actor in the cast.

• DIB says:

I politely disagree here. Emma is by far the weak link of the female teens. Partially due to her acting but the writing definitely isn’t doing her any favors. Audrey and Brooke are faring slightly better.

• Bob Backus says:

It’s amazing you can single out 1 bad actor, the show’s filled with them, plus bad directors, bad cinematography etc etc.

• Johnny Chunders says:

So harsh! I completely disagree. I think this show is awesome MTV! Even though it’s not related to the movies it still has those scream feels. Just the whole concept works so well for TV. It’s like taking 90210 and killing off a new character each week it’s brilliant! Every time I think I have the killer pegged something makes me doubt it! I love it. Most looked forward to show each week at the moment!

• Lindsay Meador says:

ummm for one Wes Craven was the one who was the main director in this series he is the one to produce it and hes made millions off of the nightmare on elm street series, scream series, hills have eyes, and the last house on the left!! he was one of the greatest directors in horror history! I for one loves this series and can’t wait for another

7. Jane says:

I liked Eye Candy better, wish it could have gotten another season.

• Benington says:

Agreed, Eye Candy was a much better show. It had real potential. If Scream was not affiliated with the movie franchise…it would no have gotten the initial attention it received and would have been cancelled.

8. Awesome! Keep Ghostface and the Scream story going!

9. Deion says:

But Whyyyyyyy?

10. Wooster182 says:

Oh no. I was hoping they’d move to a totally different story. If they don’t solve the mystery this season, this is going to be The Killing S2 all over again.

• Storm savage says:

Once again- there are 4 movies – every movie has a d Deferent killer. You’d be surprised how much hate one mother can get-

11. Casgirl3 says:

Really? I could barely get thru one episode of this show and it gets renewed while Eye Candy got cancelled and was sooo much better??? sucks…

12. Issac says:

I gave up on the show after episode 3 as they got rid of the only character I actually liked. If they bring Brianne Tju back somehow. Ill consider watching. Or if they make the cast more racially diverse.

13. Krista says:

I like this show. it’s great to see Jason Wiles back on TV Again as well. I didn’t really care for The Scream movies but I really like this show. I really got into this show and want to see what we are in for.

14. Storm savage says:

My thoughts is that it defiantly isn’t Keiran- I’m thinking Piper and Branson or Piper and Jake.
    But I 100% ship Keimma so I don’t think it’s him 😂
    Season 2 should be good- so glad that they are having a season two. Honestly at the least there should be 4 seasons- because there’s 4 amazing movies- and then they could be original with a 5th. It might even end up with a off series like walking dead and vampire diaries. But it’s legit my fave show atm- keep it up MTV xx

15. Isaac Johnson says:

The thing is guys the TV series isn’t in the same universe. There was never a Brandon James in the Scream movies. They are not related whatsoever except the plot line is similar. I like the TV series better than the movie personally.

16. Don't kill Brooke says:

Don’t kill Brooke

17. Chris says:

I totally knew that Piper was the killer called it after the first fees episodes. She showed up out of nowhere with her little podcast seemed sketchy.

18. Chris says:

I totally knew that Piper was the killer called it after the first few episodes. She came out of nowhere with her little podcast seemed sketchy

19. It’s good in all but not really “SCREAM” name worthy in the fact that it’s no way related or connected to the film’s….there’s no Ghostface or any of the cast from the movies’ let alone the 3 principal cast members. So that being said, I liked it okay but maybe change the title to Lakewood or something more towards the show rather than the films’ or bring them together somehow in the right and best, great way possible or not at all and go with the name change! But as I said before so it doesn’t seem like I’m being all negative, I did like the first season.

20. Evan says:

I like the movies, so I thought I’d check this out. This show was pretty good, it’s just that the twist was obvious. A person who no one was investigating, didn’t look for any clues around this person. It was obviously Piper because she wasn’t being interrogated or anything. I will say this show threw me off a bit. But by the time I saw her bloody glasses, I knew it was her. It was the same thing in Grace Point. No one actually took time to really look around in his life. I’m looking forward to season 2, I just hope that it can actually surprise me.

21. Jordan Martin says:

When does the second season of scream start?

22. Sam says:

I loved the show I thought it was awsome however I knew who the killer was when piper said she didn’t know her dad so it was predictable however the Aubrey thing did not see that coming can’t wait to see why she did it and what’s to come in season 2

• Shawn Gordon says:

I don’t think Audrey did it yes she had those letters from Piper but why would she kill her girlfriend, and why would they show the second killer?

• Brandon James says:

mabye audrey was trying to get nina killed and it back fired on her or mabye she never love rachel and was trying to make emma suffer for ditching her as a friend

23. Aisha says:

I really really enjoyed watching it. I love all the characters. Kieran is beautiful lol. I really do hope that there is another killer in season 2

24. Katierumley says:

When is the next seson coming out!!!!

25. paiger finner says:

I loved the 1st season of Scream!!! But it was so predictable that Piper was the killer. I wished that the creators would have made it less predictable because you could sense that it was PIper from a mile away. Anyways, hoping that season 2 is even better than season 1! P.S., wish you hadn’t killed off Will -_-

26. marta says:

when will the second season start?

27. Corey says:

I love this show is amazing the best show ever made I can’t stop watching it again and again I love please don’t stop keep going with it the best I give it 1000/1000 love it

28. Corey says:

So please go up to 7 seasons me and my family love watching it ever night I mean we watch it over and over again we love it so so so much please keep it going we all beg you to keep it going please please I love it so much I can’t stop watching many thanks me and my family

29. i love scream so very much cant wait season two baby yea!

30. Jaydyn says:

I cant wait for season 2 to come out I’m obsessed with the show please come out soon

31. December ousley says:

I Love the first season and can’t wait for the second!! I personally think the tv series is scarier than the films

32. Mya Pierce says:

I think the reporter now we know is the face of Brandon James will get arrested and then she will get out and then she will be put in a crazy house and then she will escape and then she will pretend to be Brandon James again and nobody will know that it’s her until everybody starts getting more clues and creepy phone calls

33. Mya says:

I would like to know when the second season starts like I’m waiting patiently and I’m sorta getting impatient now😔😩😩😩😩😩

34. Paige says:

I watched the first season on Netflix as soon as it come on it!. I actually thought it was going to be boring because usually remakes aren’t that good, but I loved it, and I have been waiting for a season 2 for ages, so glad your doing another season, Just hope it’s as good as the first one!.

35. Tamara says:

I am HOOKED! I was a “Scream” junkie. I recently found the Scream series on Netflix and began watching. I just finished season one five minutes ago…it took me all of 3 days to watch season one. I can hardly wait to see season two. Awesome cast and well put together. Suspenseful, horrifying, and impeccable twist!

36. zanab m says:

Ever sins i was 5 i loved scream i cryed today becase it is coming o. tonight so please dont let brooke kieren jake or emma and noha

37. heather says:

Awesome show!

38. Reese omalley says:

I am 14 yrs old and i LOOOOOOVVVVEEEEE this show its my favorite show on the earth (nxt to the walking dead tho)…..this show is entertaing….it has excitement scary moments and u dont know whats gonna heppen nxt like all the other shows on television…the cast memebers are TERRIFIC actors & actresses….and i need to no when this show is gonna come back ASAP so if anybody knows when its coming back plz answer me (if u can)…..great job on this show i cant wait for more plz dont let me down by canceling this show cuz alot of my other favorite shows got canceled (finding carter…recovery road…etc)