Longmire Season 5

Longmire Team on Season 4's 'Second Chances' Theme, A&E Cancellation

Viewers tuning in for Season 4 of Longmire on its new home, Netflix, will see a slight change in the series compared to its A&E run.

“The show’s going to be different in the end, but we’re actually still making the same show,” executive producer Hunt Baldwin said Tuesday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour in Beverly Hills.

Baldwin noted the episodes no longer have to be cut down to fit a 42-minute running time and aren’t subject to commercial breaks.

“We’re not changing our approach to storytelling very much, but the end result feels very cinematic,” he explained.

Season 4, debuting Sept. 10 on the streaming service, will center around a fitting concept, given the drama’s resurrection. “Ironically, the theme is ‘second chances,’ and who you are as a person is defined by how you handle the second chance,” EP Greer Shephard previewed. “There are a lot of ways in which people can rebuild themselves after devastating circumstances, and we explore that theme through each of our characters.”

Meanwhile, the “injustices and discrepancies” facing Native American characters on the drama’s reservations are “going to put Walt (played by Robert Taylor) and Henry (Lou Diamond Phillips) in opposition,” Shephard revealed.

As for the show’s cable cancellation, the producers were as shocked as fans and were given no reason for the axing by A&E at the time. “There was a vague [insinuation] that money was involved,” Shephard said, adding that the decision ultimately came down to the fact that “our viewers did skew older, and A&E did not have an ownership stake in the show” (which is produced by Warner Horizon Television).

Luckily, “Netflix doesn’t care about the demographic,” TV vet Gerald McRaney, who plays Branch’s father Barlow, said. “They care about people subscribing and watching.”

And had the series concluded with Season 3, would the producers have been satisfied with the finale’s cliffhanger? “We had no intention of ending it like that,” Baldwin adamantly replied.

“Obviously, when we wrote [the finale], we had a lot of story left to tell and had every intention of telling [it],” the EP said. “We were surprised that there was a purgatory last season when we didn’t think we were going to get to finish. Needless to say, we are thrilled that we got to move to Netflix and finish telling the story.”

1. Carol C says:

This may be the motivation for me to subscribe to Netflix.

2. Shana says:

My 68 year old parents are signing up for Netflix just for this show (thought inevitably they’ll enjoy many of the others) so seems like it was a good move for NF to pick it up, especially since older viewers are the hardest to get on streaming services. I have been trying to convince them for years and it made me really happy (when the news broke) to let them know that Netflix had saved one of their fav shows.

3. Sil says:

I will definitely be watching. Love, love, love Longmire. Yes, Netflix is a great medium to watch all my favorites. Netflix signing Longmire for this season and many more I hope. I will forever be grateful to Netflix for Longmire being on this season.

4. prish says:

For Netflex suits in case they are perusing this site, the husband did not want to watch Longmire, even though I thought he would enjoy it because, “It’s too dark. It is dark, black. Does everything have to go on at night?” He said the same thing about Killjoys and Dark Matter, in spite of the great guy fighting scenes, way too much darkness. As an artist, I get his complaint. There needs to be more traditional Bonanza/Nash Bridges type lighting.

5. Huge fan and so excited to see it back.

6. Maureen Kick says:

YEEHAH ! Just makes me love NETFLIX more! Network TV is fading fast. Catering to the reality TV crap and not funny sitcoms.

7. tannis zamora says:

Please excuse my ignorance but how can I get NETFLIX? Is there a TV channel or do I have to watch NETFLIX on my computer. That is NOT good for me. I have vision issues. I hope someone will respond. Longmire is a real favorite to me.

• dan says:

You can watch it at Netflix.com or you can watch it on any phone or tablet by downloading an app. I watch it through my PS3 on my TV. Newer smart tvs or bluray players already have the app loaded. Costs $7.99 a month for unlimited streaming.

• Metallo says:

You have to subscribe to Netflix and then you can watch it on many different devices. It costs about 8 bucks a month. http://www.netflix.com If you have a modern BluRay player they usually come with the ability to watch through there right on your TV, hope that helps. The website should have all the info you need to get signed up and going.

• Lizo says:

I’d recommend upgrading your tv. If you have vision issues, an upgrade will also provide more assistive technologies for you too. If you get a new tv, you want to get a Smart TV (I have a Samsung and I love love love it) and it’ll have a Netflix app built into the tv that you can access with your flicker/converter and that will open Netflix right on your tv. It’s really easy. A smart tv should have wireless & Ethernet port because you will need to access your internet (if this is difficult, ask the tech people at the place you buy your tv and they’ll help you). You’ll need an account with Netflix, which you can set up on their website with a credit card. Then you log into the account on the tv and you’re all set.

• Jake says:

I kinda hate my Samsung. The app is “upgrading” about half the time I try to stream anything, so you can’t use it. plus the modem in my TV died after about a year and a half. Luckily, it was an easy replacement (Samsung even made a special door on the back of the TV to access it – planned obsolescence?). Anyway, never getting a Samsung again.

• Georgia madman says:

That’s interesting. I’ve had my Samsung for five years and love it. Wouldn’t buy anything else. And love to Netflix for picking up Longmire. I’ll be watching.

• Freida Harwell says:

My phone, two tablets, tv, home theatre, and blue ray are all Samsung. Love Samsung products and never any problems.

• cej says:

I prefer my Roku for viewing Netflix, Amazon, etc. over internet enabled TV. My TV menu is horrible to use. Roku is easy to set up and use.

• Robin Laabs says:

You can also watch Netflix through Apple TV or a TIVO (my method of choice).

• Ken Miller says:

I see a lot of comments re: upgrading your TV which would be the best option however if finances are a problem you could look into what I’m doing. I connect my computer to the TV and can then watch Netflix that way. If you are unsure if or how to do it maybe you know someone tech savvy to help you.

• tannis zamora says:

H everybody, thank YOU each for replying regarding me being able to see Longmire. I have decided to take ya’lls advice and I will be getting the Apple 3 device and subscribe to Netflix. I am so anxious to see the Branch and Wife killer episodes being solved. You guys ROCK

• Pat Mat says:

You need wifi for streaming. Google and roku have a device which will allow you to watch Netflix on your TV. Cost me about $30. Worth it.

8. prish says:

Ask a Glades fan about A&E cancellation insensitivity. I haven’t watched the channel, since.

• dan says:

Whenever I want to piss off my dad all I have to do is mention Glades. :)

• Maryann says:

How hard would it have been to give Glades a two hour movie to conclude the series?

• GeeMa says:

Oh yeah. We still debate over the cliffhanger ending of that show.

• Stacy white says:

The Glades was a great show. We’ll written and we’ll acted. I am 44 years old and my daughter is 19 and we watched together every week. We did the same with Longmire. A& E were crazy to let those shows go. They were good intellegent shows for young to old.

9. Helen Webb says:

So very happy to hear that Longmire will continue. I am addicted.

10. Chloe says:

Thank you, Netflix, for bringing back our show. I’m definitely going to subscribe now.

11. justsomeguy says:

Longmire is an excellent show, and I’m eager to dive into Season 4. Been almost a year since it went off. But I have a feeling this next season will be epic.

12. John says:

As long as Katee Sackhoff is still in it, I’m in!

13. Maple Leaf Momma says:

Thank you Netflix for picking up Longmire…Great show, well cast, well written…
    well done in every facet…and a big thanks to Australia for Robert Taylor…

14. JP Lacasse says:

Well done to Netflix for recognizing quality shows like Longmire, reason I subscribed to Netflix. Great cast, well written, was hooked from the pilot. Really enjoy Robert Taylor.

15. Murica! says:

I hate A&E!! First they cancelled the glades, then they cancelled longmire and finally they revived unforgettable!! Bunch of idiots!!

16. Scamper says:

Thank you, Netflix! Love Longmire!

17. JAO says:

Guess I’ll just have to subscribe for Longmire.

18. DJ Doena says:

This reminds me to catch up on season 3.

I started my Netflix sub after they announced a fourth season of Longmire. They deserve it.

19. Tiffany says:

I wish Netflix would have picked up The Glades…. still mad about that

20. Dianne Hill says:

I am so glad Longmire is back! One of the most well-written and best portrayed series I’ve ever watched.

21. Sherri says:

The only reason I am subscribed to Netflix is Longmire. Tv is worthless unless your on the daystar channel.

22. At least the cancellation enabled me to buy the DVD’s of the first 3 seasons, and get my brother “hooked” on the show, as he had never seen it. That final cliffhanger was a real surprise and it was CRUEL for them to leave us hanging so long. Demographics?? We older people spend money on entertainment also! I’m especially glad that the original actors will for the most part return. Well-written AND well-acted show! Western in the modern era really worked for me.

23. Sherri says:

Longmire is the only reason I pay for Netflix. Tv is worthless these days unless your on daystar or national geographic channel.

24. Bob Mayhew says:

Great show and I’ve been a Netflix subscriber for years. Try Longmire, you will like it.

25. Robin says:

Thank you!! I can’t get enough Longmire…best show I’ve seen in a long long time!

26. Kirsten says:

Just binge-watched “Longmire” this month — SO HAPPY that I didn’t have to wait a year between seasons! That Season 3 cliffhanger was crazy! Can’t wait ’til Sept. 10!

27. Kevin says:

I subscribed to Netflix for this very reason – to continue watching Longmire. I have cut the cord doing only streaming TV. Very disappointed Bates Motel was dropped from Netflix.

28. Annie says:

I’ve never subscribed to Netflix; Longmire is the reason I will be signing up!

The Glades…. it’s still too hard to talk about; I still can’t believe how it ended.

29. Chuck says:

So happy, love Longmire. Never missed a show

30. Doug says:

One of the best shows on TV.Look forward to the Netflix debut.

31. Felicia says:

I can’t wait for Longmire to debut on Netflix. I’ve been a fan of this wonderful show from day one and have never missed an episode. Thank you Netflix for picking it up.

32. LOU says:

I love Longmire and will be Netflix subscriber forever!!!!

33. Jeri says:

Still disappointed bout A&E cancellation. I don’t watch Netflix & have no desire to.

34. JJ says:

Thank you for bring back Longmire. Now can you bring back the Witches of East End it was cancelled after two season. It was a great show. I am hoping the Netflix will pick up season 3.

35. Got Netflix just so I could continue watching Longmire. Found there were more shows I could enjoy on it.

36. Jean says:

Love Branch, Longmire, & NETFLIX in that Order

37. Katie says:

I can`t believe finally we have a great show to watch and it gets canceled.I have been waiting and watching for it to come back on am so disappointed I could cry.

38. I love this show, got into on Netflix, then A&E canceled it, I was so happy when Netflix picked it up, they’re my heroes, lol!

39. love the show, glad someone picked up

40. chaosrainz says:

I’ve had Netflix for a while but know 2 other people (middle-aged women, actually) who love this show and are subscribing for the first time just for it. Good decision by Netflix!

41. Debbie says:

Netflix has some excellent shows. Longmire, Peaky Blinders (fave), Marco Polo and The Fall. Will stay with Netflix as long as they continue with good entertainment.

42. chris says:

one of the best shows on tv everytime they get a good show on they take it off the air they rather you watch trash dang cartoons for my kids has even got where you cant watch them either itd a dam good show an hope it lasts a very long time

43. hyacinth69 says:

Please tell as many new people as you can to watch season 4. Season 3 lost 1 million viewers I believe because of the cancellation rumors. Let’s give Longmire it’s due for great acting, clean tv, and great entertainment.

44. Ellen abrams says:

Can’t wait to se season 4, 5, and 6!

45. Earl L Eanes says:

Thank you Netflick for picking up Longmire, Best money we have spent for home entertainment

46. Grandma says:

I used to love Netflix. I was going to cancel and then they picked up Longmire. I was just sick to death of all the gay movies showing up on the main page. They really need to make a way to choose what shows up. I don’t mind they have gay/lesbian movies on there for those who want to watch them, but I do mind having to look at that nasty crap on my main page, and having my grandson be subjected to it.

47. amy says:

Bring back Lizzie

48. jean says:

I would like to know will season 4 be the end or will they continue. I for one hope that the show goes on way past season 4.

49. susan says:

I am soooooooooo happy to see Longmire is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can’t wait, I need to watch the old seasons again.

50. Eldo Rado says:

So glad Netfix (the best entertainment dollar spent these days) decided to pick this up. I wish they would have made more than ten episodes, tho. Thanks for being there for me. (I would pay more if you decide to do more Longmire shows). Have you looked into the Justified series? Of course you have…