Bloodline Season 2 Ben Mendelsohn

Bloodline Season 2: Ben Mendelsohn Returning as Series Regular

Not even the Grim Reaper can stop Danny Rayburn.

Emmy nominee Ben Mendelsohn will be back as a full-fledged series regular for Bloodline‘s upcoming second season on Netflix, exec producer Glenn Kessler confirmed to TVLine Tuesday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour in Beverly Hills. This is notable because Danny was [SPOILER ALERT!] murdered by brother John (Kyle Chandler) at the end of Season 1.

“The DNA of the show is such that the past is always with us,” noted Kessler of the show’s flashback-heavy format. “We’re going to learn more about Danny’s effect on the family and more about his past, and also what his effects are in the present day.”

“There’s a very important story that we’re interested in telling that includes [Danny],” he added.

The decision to keep Danny around was made long before Mendelsohn emerged as the show’s breakout performer. “That was always part of the plan,” maintained Kessler. “When we first hired him, it was for more than the first season.”

1. Brian says:

Cool! Hands down the best character on the show, so I knew they would bring him back.

• Mark Copfer says:

I just do not know how you bring somebody back after they are killed off in season 1.

• Styart says:

Flashbacks. Tell his story about what happened before season 1, the story (SPOILER) about his son and how that fell apart and the restaurant that he owned. The money he lost, the people he was running from. All kinds of stuff.

2. Ever says:

He MADE the show for me. Amazing!

3. Amanda says:

I remember the writers saying that Ben would be involved but this is even better!!! Ben was just so amazing as Danny and knew they wouldn’t get rid of him. There is so much in his past that needs to be shown and at least 20 years worth of his adult life we don’t know anything about, as well as the other siblings. Plus with his son now involved it makes so much sense. Already was excited for season 2 and now even more so!!!

4. dj says:

GREAT news

5. Geo says:

I’ve never been a big fan of flashbacks, and I’m still betting that killing this character this early in the series is going to prove a tremendous mistake.

• dan says:

Spoiler alert: The whole first season was a flashback. It opened with the ending. We knew from the beginning that one of the characters was dead and within the first three or four episodes you knew it was Danny. They’ll just continue with the same flashbacks for season two.

6. Hayes says:

He brings a palpable creepiness to Danny.

7. Spence says:

So excited for season 2, I need it now!!

8. Eli says:

Danny was the only character I actually cared about, and after what his family did to him, I didn’t think I’d be able to watch another season of the Rayburns. I guess now I have to, because Ben is so captivating to watch.

9. Dee says:

This is a relief….I couldn’t believe they killed off the best actor and most charismatic character in the series ….I was contemplating if I would even watch season two …now I’m back in!

10. Megan Rogers says:

The real creep in the story will turn out to be the dead patriarch. Why did mommy dearest want to run away from her seemingly ideal home on that bus? What did she have against the beautiful Sarah? Mommy is so forgiving of Danny but so cold to Sarah. From show number one I bet Big Daddy had something to do with that. Maybe he loved Sarah not just more than mommy, but a bit too much like mommy. Daddy’s special girl. Was Danny going to go in the same direction with his niece? If so it would give his bro a good reason to kill him.

11. Brenda says:

So glad they are bringing back Ben Mendelson as Danny.I watched the first season and was very disappointed at the way it ended.I will be watching this season too the.I love all the characters on this show Bloodline.

12. Julie says:

Im a Netflix binge watcher and this show by far has been the best Ive seen. Fantasic acting Ben Mendelsohn – Ibe never been so emotionally sucked in to a character as I was with Danny. Maybe because I had a brother just like him who also died and can relate to the story – I literally felt like I was watching my own family drama. Last episode…. I sat and stared at the walk for an hour I was just shocked. Excellent show – really affected me. And my love for the Keys after many visits there over the years just added to all the emotions. Wow, just wow. Might even watch S1 again.

13. Steven Bowron says:

Danny didn’t deserve to die, disappointed in John’s “character”. And it’s really all the mothers fault for being a whimp and thinking only of herself the day her daughter drowned. Her daughter wanted to talk to her, and she flaked. Selfish.

14. Granted Agreement says:

Best character on the show, absolutely, it was a mistake to kill him off, hopefully it turns out he’s very much alive–somehow.

15. Ibrahim says:

I have never been so addicted to a show before. Danny is so real! This series touches the deepest parts of your heart and makes you realize your relationships in life.
    There can never be a reason to kill your family ones though. I am judging!

16. Feeee says:

Ben and his fellow cast-members are the lifeblood of this SUPERB show. The writing is excellent, the acting is outstanding.