Fall TV Preview
Stana Katic Interview

Castle's Stana Katic Teases 'Event' that Shifts Season 8 Into 'Higher Velocity'

Something big is about to go down on Castle, this much is now certain.

In a new interview with our sister site Deadline, Stana Katic reveals that an “event” takes place early this fall that will catapult Season 8 “into a higher velocity” and “is part of what will set everything up for the next 20 episodes.”

The inciting incident in question takes place within the first two episodes — installments that Katic dubs “brother and sister” — and, yep, it involves Rick and Kate.

“Part of the exciting thing about this season is the way [new showrunners Alexi Hawley and Terence Paul Winter] have envisioned the cosmic version of why [Rick and Kate] have come together,” she elaborates. “It delves into the mythology of Rick’s disappearance and memory loss as well as into what inspired Beckett to become a cop in the first place.”

Katic’s comments come two weeks after co-star Nathan Fillion hinted to TVLine that change is coming to the ABC procedural. “In order for a show to continue and to move forward, things have to change,” he told TVLine at Comic-Con. “And things have changed, every year, for these two.”

Katic, meanwhile, also tells Deadline that her 11th hour decision to renew her Castle contract last May resulted, in part, from a feeling that Beckett “would be safe in the next chapter of Castle” under Hawley and Winter. “I felt confident that they knew the story, the character — Terence has been on the show since Day 1, and some of the most interesting episodes for my character were penned by Alexi. And while they are eager to shake things up and aim at telling challenging stories, they would also protect the integrity of the character.”

Castle Season 8 bows Monday, Sept. 21 at 10/9c.

1. Just one thing says:

What about the fact that she’s now a producer on the show. Quasi-vanity title or no, that’s interesting.

• DarkDefender says:

I will bet both Stana and Nathan will have Producer credits this season just like they do on pretty much every other long term show on television. Nothing new as TV shows go.
      But you probably already know that, no?

• Just one thing says:

I know it’s common, but I honestly wasn’t sure that was in the cards for the two Castle leads. Don’t know why.

• DarkDefender says:

Interesting. I was expecting it and with a stake in the show, I am hopeful they will be more vested in a longer run beyond Season 8.

• panchang810 says:

Remember that Nathan signed his renewal contract way ahead of Stana. If he wanted to negotiate to become one of the show producers, eh would have done so but HE DIDN’T. For sure he opted for a pay hike than being a show producer. Most back end deal such as what Stana has negotiated for, the actors will NOT GET ANY PAY HIKE in exchange for a certain percentage that goes with being a producer plus more responsibilities. But in the end it’s more rewarding because of the residuals especially if the show is already syndicated like in the case of Castle. So it’s all about the actor’s choices and negotiating deals. Nathan perhaps prefers to get higher pay but less responsibilities, so whatever deals they got depends on how they negotiated their contract which is so normal in their industry. And whatever they got for sure they both deserve.

• CastleBuzz says:

Yeah, I was expecting producer credit for the two of them, too, but I’ve not seen anything about Nathan having it. It does require more work and input if it’s anything more than just a vanity title and somehow I don’t see it being that on this show.

• Philip says:

Personally I don’t think it’s for vanitys sake. Let’s face it, has Stana done anything for vanity? She’s about as simple and private as they come in Hollywood. She just doesn’t strike me as someone who wants the title for the fun of it. Everything that we as fans know and have read about her speaks to the fact that she’s gonna take the producer thing quite seriously:) I mean according to that article the girls taking her ATP talks to google, to the White House. She ain’t just a pretty face that one. In hollywood that’s quite rare. It’s refreshing. I say, good for her!

• Just one thing says:

Oh, I absolutely agree that she will take that title seriously. I just think there are limits to the title, and boundaries that producers – whether as writers or actors – won’t cross.
        Basically, this title allows her to officially protect her character, versus simply advocating and hoping for the best.
        At the end of the day, she doesn’t appear to do anything half-assed, and that’s really admirable.

• Ajay says:

She is probably trying to branch out. A lot of actors do. As an actor i assume the next step further is producing. Nothing wrong with that. It shows an investment in keeping the show alive and improving the rates. However, lets face it, nothing our “beckett” does will be wrong in our eyes…

• CastleBuzz says:

Stana already has her own film production company called Sine Timore (Latin for “without fear”) and has options on two novels. Both are currently under development in the script writing phase. She’s also produced and directed shorts for ATP. The Castle producer title will give her more opportunities to learn about her craft and I think she’ll use it to the limits an beyond.

• panchang810 says:

I also agree that it’s NEVER for vanity’s sake as far as Stana taking one of the producers’ seats is concern. She’s been known to take her career seriously in all aspects even her advocacies behind the cameras and not about the monetary aspect nor publicity and yes never for vanity. Besides, she probably opted for no pay hike in exchange for a back end deal, meaning certain small percentage that goes with being a producer plus its responsibilites especially in the artistic side which seems to be her main objective. This goes to show how smart she is not just as an actor but also as a businesswoman as she was able to negotiate a good deal and to her liking. In the end this will be more rewarding even if she didn’t opt for a good pay hike, because of the residuals that come with the position, which is what most actors prefer.

Nathan perhaps opted for higher pay than being one of the producers which would definitely entail more responsibilities. Nathan seems to be the laid back practical type and didn’t he ask in the past for less work hours because he wanted to have more time doing personal things which is ok and understandable considering the long hours of tedious work they have. And I agree with some of the commentors here, Stana has created her own production company for a few years already and she and her own team have been in the development of a couple of projects she’s acquired. She’s also been known to prefer doing small indie films during Castle’s break because she feels more committed to aesthetics fulfillment in doing small indie films as opposed to monumental big budget commercial films. To each his/her own. But I do feel that Stana getting the producer seat will be more to the advantage of the show and its entire cast especially the two main characters. I don’t see Stana as a selfish, insecure, vain individual so I’m sure she will take care of the rest of the characters and her co-actors not just of Kate Beckett’s character and of her well-being. Besides, it’s not unusual for one of the lead/major characters to eventually become one of the show producers, Mariska Hargitay, Juliana Marguiles to name a few have now become producers of their respective shows. Well, those women together with Stana are very talented strong, smart, independent, savvy women so why not.

The important thing is that Castle will be back for the 8th season, and hopefully for MORE SEASONS TO COME.

• c-mo says:

Heeheehee, she’s now effectively Nathan’s boss…that is if he didn’t hold out for the producer title as well.

• Just one thing says:

It would be very, very strange if he didn’t get that title as well.

• c-mo says:

Totally agree! It should be the least that a network would do for lead actors that have made them so much money and as a reward for their loyalty.

• panchang810 says:

Remember that Nathan signed his contract renewal WAY AHEAD of Stana so obviously he DIDN’T OPT to become one of the producers of the show. He could have negotiated for it IF HE WANTED IT.

• CastleBuzz says:

Agree, but it’s also very, very strange that it hasn’t been announced or ferreted out by Nathan fans. I wonder if it came with responsibilities he didn’t want to take on for Castle, considering

• CastleBuzz says:

to continue…[considering] how big Con Man could grow, or he took extra money upfront.

• Just one thing says:

I don’t want to guess things anymore, because I’m constantly being surprised. But I wouldn’t be surprised if they both carry that title.
            If it truly comes with more responsibilities, then yeah, that might not be attractive to some actors. But I’d imagine actor/producers aren’t obligated to do all that much.

• c-mo says:

Well since contract details really haven’t been released, it doesn’t surprise me that the info isn’t out there.

• panchang810 says:

• shirley says:

Where have I been? When did Stana add producer to her credits.
      I feel out of touch right now.
      Thanks for the info.

2. c-mo says:

As a Caskett shipper, I must say that I’m still with Alan and still worried…

• Christy says:

I’m holding on to my faith that Terrence and Alexi love these characters and won’t hurt them.
      But every once in a while I read something and my mind goes Alan. It’s nice to have a proper way to react. “I’M WORRIED!” *read a little more* “Less Worried…”

3. Georgee says:

I’m sure glad that ABC gave Stana enough time to finish her new projects. Now will they give us fans, the loyal fans something we want, Rick and Kates baby Castle ?

4. Luis says:

Disappearance? Promotion? Campaign? Separation? Pregnancy? I’m already on pins and needles!

5. James D says:

rut-roos does this have to do with the blind item. I’m still in choosing to be in denial about that because if it is the blind item I will start hurting deep down in my chest. I’m anxious to find out what’s going to happen. I look forward to watching it according to what Stana is saying it does sound pretty intriguing perhaps a little more serialized season this year I’d totally be down for that. Just no break up please my soul couldn’t take it.

• DL says:

Nathan Fillion made a comment that people shouldn’t be worried about a Caskett break-up, or at least that was how it seemed to me. And now with Stana seeming enthusiastic about the season and the new showrunners, I’m really hoping that blind item is not in fact about Castle (after all it was the obvious — TOO obvious — choice). The only way I could be even remotely okay with a break-up is if it’s actually a fake-up… that is, that some sort of circumstances necessitate them publicly ending their relationship while behind closed doors they’re still together.
      That said, come on, they JUST got married. To break them up now of all times would be ridiculous and completely nonsensical.

• DarkDefender says:

I agree.. No faux break up, please. It didn’t work on Bones and won’t work here.

• Laura says:

I bet the blind item is about Castle and they’re breaking up.

• James D says:

I hadn’t heard Nathan’s comment thanks for the heads up it makes me feel a lot better. Exactly it would make zero sense for them to break up after just getting married and if they did it would completely throw away seven years of build up which is something I would suspect the writers room wouldn’t want to do. I really hope they don’t do it. You’re right it seems from what Stana is saying they’re not breaking up. crossing my fingers though.

6. Carol says:

Can’t wait for season 8 to get here and I’m glad Stana is happy with what they told her about season 8 so she signed on , as for that guy with Fillion don’t know who he is and don’t care what he thinks .

7. Maria says:

Ugh, that “mythology” stuff again.
    On a positive note, I love how Stana is invested in, and protective of, the character of Kate Beckett.

• Just one thing says:

I’m sure many never thought she’d be the culprit of uttering those dreaded buzzwords. Lol

• CastleBuzz says:

:):) “Mythology” has become a common word among Hollywood types along with the relatively new (I think) and incorrect use of the word “creative(s)” as a noun to refer to people like writers, actors, producers, etc. We lesser mortals think in terms of backstory and storyline (or arc) instead of mythology and show runners and performers instead of creatives. It’s just jargon. “Mythology” only became a bad word when Marlowe used it for the storyline so many viewers hated.

8. lkh says:

The most important quote for me is “protect the integrity of the character”. Beckett was almost nonexistent last season, turned into a prop for Castle, little emotion, few lines, and… I’m glad to hear we might see some of the original Beckett character again.
    The mythology s#@t, ugh!

• lkh says:

brother and sister? hmmm XX and XO?

• Just one thing says:

Yeah, money will always play some role in the equation, because that’s the business. But I do think it’s interesting that she confirmed she hadn’t started direct negotiations until the show wrapped, and that she focused so heavily on the integrity part as it pertains to Beckett.
      I wonder if she decided this last year to minimize her advocacy of Caskett and focus primarily on her character from here on out. It’s unfortunate that the focus may need to be mutually exclusive. But if the plan is to have the show carrier by XY and XX, sometimes doing separate stories and sometimes coming together, then that’s the way it’ll be and fans are going to need to decide if it’s entertaining enough to stick around.
      While the notion of Caskett is wonderful and romantic and fun, I would still watch Castle as long as Beckett drives 30-50% of the stories. (I’d prefer 75%, but beggars can’t be choosers.)

• lkh says:

agree–with your % distribution, ie 75% :] but it would need to be with the real Beckett and wouldn’t mind 50-50 if it was the first season Castle. Folks argue that people change over time and there has been an evolution of these characters–yes, true but the core of a person doesn’t change as much as what we witnessed in season 7. Hopefully, Beckett will have some fire again.

Didn’t know she was producing (at least credit). Hope we don’t have a story about elephants. :[

• Just one thing says:

Yeah, Season 7 included many storyline and character changes that I don’t think served the show sell overall. The plots were very weak.
          If everyone’s 110% invested this season, that would be lovely.

• CastleBuzz says:

Yep, I like the 75%, too, but 50-50’s would be more than acceptable, especially if a lot of that is Beckett and Castle together professionally and personally. Have to say I’m intrigued by the different perspective thing in the first two eps. Should provide some fun.

• panchang810 says:

I absolutely agree with you. And yes I wasn’t so happy with almost half of the episodes of Season 7 that I’m not even keen in buying its DVD even if I have the complete 1-6 DVDs already. I thought the Rick Castle-Kate Beckett tandem was almost lost in the last few episodes of Season 7. That airplane episode with the the dead US marshall I thought was THE WORST Castle episode it really insulted the viewer’s intellect. The plot was so think and the script was so moronic, even the way it was directed seemed so lame. That particular episode is one of the main reason why I’m not too keen in buying my Season 7 DVD copy. I really hope such episodes will no longer happen in Season 8 and beyond. I really miss those plots, great scenes, funny witty lines and really goood episodes of those past seasons.

• YB says:

I also thought the latter part of season 7 was mediocre especially the finale, but early episodes prior to the PI arc and the 3XK arc were reasons to buy the DVD

9. N says:

Mythology? Finish Castles’s story!

10. lily says:

Ugh of course she’d get everything she wants… producer title lol cmon what a load of cr*p. this shows basically turned into the Beckett drama show, kinda wish abc had the guts to walk away from drama queen and let castle do his thing with a fresh, exciting cast surrounding him. oh well.

• DL says:

She has always had the more interesting story. That’s just the way they wrote it. Personally I always preferred when the drama centered on her but Castle was the vital piece that kept her alive and sane. Just because storylines aren’t “about Castle” doesn’t mean the show isn’t about him. He’s the compassionate beating heart that cares for everyone and keeps them safe and helps them have a little fun too. How deeply he cared for Kate and how hard he worked over the years to help her, for me, always made him a far more interesting and lovable character than when the writers shoehorned in convoluted “Castle-centric mythology” that does away with the dynamic that made the show so great in the first place. The only bit of mythology like that that worked, in my opinion, was the stuff having to do with his father, and that was because he was focused on helping/saving his daughter and his father rather than it being all about him. The Castle character shines when he gives of himself to others; when it’s all about him it’s just not as interesting or entertaining to me.

• lkh says:

I like this–agree. And, I think he’s the storyteller–but I repeat, repeat, repeat myself.

• Matt says:

Ya stories like they did last season are dumb cause a
        He’s a writer not a highly trained spy

• Jim says:

Spot on! This was what I had an issue with last season. It was over the top and frankly just downright ridiculous how Castle was the centre of stopping Al Qaeda and what not. Nope. That is not what the show is about. I think they tried to make him more “Beckett like” ie, the defender of justice, the badass etc which I honestly could not comprehend as it was not needed and silly, and it just flopped out to me. Part of the charm of this show is how their characters are different. She’s the serious, wounded one, he is the funny lovable one…the light in her life, the one who makes everything better, brings her joy and fun. I love that balance between the 2. She made him grow up, and he made her have fun. Stick to that please.

• DarkDefender says:

Im pretty sure that Al Qaeda story was fake, to get Castle off trying to figure out what happened since it didn’t explain the GSW or the dengue fever antibody.

• Just one thing says:

That’s a nice thought, and one I hope the new showrunners address.

• CastleBuzz says:

I think so too, DD, and if they had done that ep earlier in the season with a later ep or two with the correct resolution, Sleeper might have been moderately acceptable.

• cece says:

That is so true Castle has always grounded her even when she fought it
        as Lanie told her girlfriend you need some fun, and when he shows his love for her and his family makes him stronger and ruggedly handsome.

• panchang810 says:

EXACTLY!

• Laura says:

What a bore of a show it would be!

• Kelly says:

lily, you just sound bitter. Come on, there’s no need to trash one actor over the other. Besides, you must not be a Castle fan, as the premise of Castle is caskett and cases, and you obviously don’t like the female lead.You are a Nathan fan, so enjoy his new conman gig:) Looks fun and its got “fresh exciting cast surrounding him”. No need to come here and trash other castle actors. You look very childish when you make comments about actors or networks you know nothing about. Curse her or say what you like, she’s still enjoying her life and work, while you’re bitter:)

• Disappointed says:

Seems you have a downer on Stana, that’s your right, but the reality of “Castle” is that it needs both of them. I don’t think Nathan’s fans would have been able to keep the show alive on their own if Stana had left. You will have to wait for Castle to finally end before you get your wish for Nathan to reappear as Derek Storm or Philip Marlowe P.I. but I’m unlikely to watch either of those projects.

• CastleBuzz says:

The irony in lily’s comment is that castle is doing “his thing” when he shadows, works with, writes about and lives with Beckett. What else is his “thing?”

• panchang810 says:

What do you mean Beckett drama show? First of all, Nathan was the first to sign his contract renewal so if he wanted to get MORE like more pay which I’m sure he got because he signed his contract renewal SO FAST and if he wanted to become one of the show producers the he could have negotiated for that! BUT HE DID NOT! You know why? Because the network will NOT give him a higher pay if he would have opted to become a producer because that will entail residuals. That’s how back end deals are negotiated. And do you think the show will exist for a long time if the show will only have Castle? Haaa-hahaaaa! The show’s demise will be as fast as a speeding bullet if Stana would be gone, for sure.

11. lkh says:

Do we know anything more about the rest of the group? Martha, Alexis, Ryan, Espo–figure all is good there (?) I’d like it if they brought the shrink back … (and, of course, LT)
    Adios Gates :[

12. DarkDefender says:

I read the Deadline article.. Stana makes season 8 sound intriguing. No Caskett babies, please. I like the idea of a Castle side of what happened and a Beckett side of the same thing – at least that’s how I read the first 2 episodes to be. If the new mythology includes Ricks disappearance, Beckett’s reason for being a cop (likely mimicking Castle’s need to figure out his own mystery) and how these two were destined for each other all along.. Count me in.
    This could be an EPIC game changer and if it leads to several more seasons of Castle, then I cannot wait to watch it all unfold.

• lkh says:

I think they could have devoted a lot more episodes to exploring Castle’s interest in death and his disappearance–doing it so quickly just led to confusion and minimizing the concept. I thought we already knew why Beckett became a cop…no?

I hope you’re right about the baby thing, but XO & XX, baby boy and baby girl?

• DarkDefender says:

Or more simply, one male (Rick) & one female (Kate) POV of the same event/s.
        I also think the botched execution of Season 7 is what made SK doubt season 8. I am hopeful the story is not over and we get more on how Rick came to be and the “cosmic” parallels to how Kate came to be. Add in some witty, sexy banter and some “destined to be Caskett” stuff and I will be a happy, happy shipper. #Always

• lkh says:

fingers crossed on the witty, sexy banter…went missing, great if it comes back–

• CastleBuzz says:

This pretty much fits with what I want. Season 8 really could be “epic.” And, yes, please, lots of witty banter. Stana and Nathan are simply so good at it!

• Cathy J says:

Girl = XX. Boy = XY
        (not sure where this XO is coming from….)

13. Matt says:

Base off of a lot of bts looks like castles in danger

14. Jim says:

Great interview. Stana has a real knack for giving out great interviews, her thought process and passion shines through which makes it an enjoyable read for avid fans like my wife and myself.

1) Producer! Nice! congratulations Stana. As she mentioned it is a good progression for women in the industry and I hope she continues to grow, maybe direct one day.

2) While I’m still a bit concerned about the plot this season, Stana seems enthusiastic and out of all the actors on the show, I find her and Seamus Devers comments and thoughts to be the most truthful and accurate so if she’s excited, I’m going to try to be too.

3) Last season was very lazy and boring for me with the exception of a few eps. As much as I love Castle, it was just too much of Castle and no Beckett which is not why I got hooked to this show. So, hoping it goes back to equal distribution or as someone commented above, more Beckett since for me Castle shines more when he is her backbone and being the supportive person. That is what made Becketts mothers arc so damn good! Their connection, him being her constant, helping and being her sense of logic/right and wrong. Castles arc just didn’t have that same sense of connection between the 2, didn’t have compassion and just wasn’t compelling enough for me to care. So the fact that Stana said we will see things from both castle and Becketts perspectives is a nice and welcome change from last season. I cannot say this enough, I watch for BOTH, not one or the other.

4) Strange why the full article with Stana isn’t here but, her summer escapades sound good. Sister Cities sounds interesting and promising. Its about ALS, and bringing awareness to it so that’s great. And on her ATP…the article quotes “She spent time meeting with people from Google, Metro as well as the White House discussing the issue”…the white house?? very cool Stana! Walking the walk, talking the talk.

All in all, the wife and I are looking forward to the new season and Stanas other projects.

15. Matt says:

Lol everybody wants the disappearance arc to disappear also we already know why she became a cop because of her mothers murder

• CastleBuzz says:

Don’t agree. I want the disappearance arc to appear again so it can be explained and resolved fully and rationally. And, yes, we know Kate became a cop b/c of her mother’s murder, but most people’s reasons for choosing a career are complicated. And we all know Beckett is complicated!

16. Matt says:

If they have it to where there not working together the rating won’t be so good look at 7×21 last season with a 1.3 demo the worst for the season cause they weren’t working together

17. Axel says:

Once again some Nathan’s fans showed with their reaction how rude and hypocrite they can be. “If it were him you would be bashing him …” Uh what are you doing right now with Stana ?
    I like both of them and this war between the two leads fans is really dragging the show down, has been for years. Everything something happens some of their fans are ruining it by creating drama (but then complain because of the drama).
    I guess it’s Nathan and Stana’s fault too since there has been rumors of tension between them for years and they are constantly ignoring each others, so their fans think they have to put them against the other everytime …
    Anyway the Castle fandom really became an awful one to be a part of, I hope this season is the last one and they can both move on, hopefully their fans will too (Although I’m sure they will still be comparing them…)

18. Kelly says:

Wow, Stana has been one busy lady this summer:) I am still on the fence about these 2 new show runners, so I will have to watch the premier and see if this is something I want to continue with. If they break up, I’m not sticking around, no questions asked. So hopefully these guys know what they are doing. Stana trusts them apparently so here is to hoping for a great S8. Like many I too did not enjoy last season, a lot of it was a waste of time. And whilst they did finally get married, their married life took a huge back seat, in fact caskett and Beckett took a huge back seat and I did not appreciate that. This show is at its best when its got both leads intact and together. So I’m a little sceptical about Stana saying they focus on both sides, because I have no idea how this will be done. While I’m glad that Beckett will be back front and centre (well I’m hoping at least), I don’t want to watch 2 versions, mainly being a focus on Beckett and a focus on Castle. I want to watch the focus on them together. Not each of their take on it and what they do. Oh well, we just gotta wait. But on a positive note, I’m really happy for Stana and her producer gig. She has always said she would like to get into producing and directing and her love for Indie movies and how its made proves that. So this is a good opportunity for her to learn more.

• lkh says:

I agree with you. I’ve heard her refer to herself as a young filmmaker and think that may be her goal. Smart woman!

19. CastleBuzz says:

I recommend everyone read the entire Deadline article/interview, perhaps even twice. There’s a lot of info packed in there. Included are: an explanation of why Stana signed so late (no drama at all); how important the integrity of the Beckett character is to her; and the revelation that the first two eps reflect Castle’s vs Beckett’s perspective on the “event” that will provide the season-long arc. There’s also info on her summer movie projects, the romcom The Rendezvous and the drama Sister Cities. Good stuff…

20. Linda says:

All I will say is, as long as there’s no break up, I’m willing to give it a chance. Stana seems excited which is a good sign but I’m still a bit worried:)

Kudos to Stana on her producer role. I do believe that with her it’s more than just a vanity title. It’s no secret the woman enjoys the processes behind the screen.

21. D`après moi the event who will make place in “early this fall” Kate will tell Castle that she`s pregnant, that`s why thiis will catapulte catapult Season 8 “into a higher velocity” and “is part of what will set everything up for the next 20 episodes.” so if she is pregnant, she`ll be during thhe 20 ep. It`s just imo.

22. lame says:

I can understand SK wanting to have a say in the creative process. After 6.23 when Marlowe inexplicably trashed Beckett’s character The surprising nature of that trashing has implications that will affect and have to be explained as the story moves forward .According to 6.23 Beckett won’t qualify for elected office. That among othe things! Winter/Hawley will have to deal with.

23. Ajay says:

This coming season will probably be the last. Stana seems tired of the show

• Just one thing says:

I would say Stana Katic does a pretty great job of promoting and publicly cheering on the show. She’s been very consistent for years on that front.

• CastleBuzz says:

Where do you get that from? She’s already done more promotion for Season 8 than others on the show.

24. ndixit says:

“It delves into the mythology of Rick’s disappearance and memory loss as well as into what inspired Beckett to become a cop in the first place.”: This quote puzzles me. I get the first half of this quote but don’t we already know what inspired Beckett to be a cop.

• lkh says:

How many times has she said she became a cop because of her mother’s death–sounds like they’re going to tack something else on, just for giggles :[

• ndixit says:

It does feel that way doesn’t it? Its strange to keep changing the past stories of the characters instead of creating brand new ones. It just leaves them more susceptible to plot holes.

• aph1976 says:

Yeah Beckett became a cop because primarily for her mom but maybe the show is going to show that her becoming a cop wasn’t exactly smooth ride and fill in some gaps from where Beckett decided to become a cop to where we first met her.

25. arial2 says:

I would guess the “event” might be that Capt. Gates either disappears or is killed, setting off a season-long quest to find her or her killer. And, of course, that puts Beckett in line to become her replacement. I’ve noticed when tv shows tell you there’ll be a huge event, it’s rarely something new; there are only so many plausible plot lines out there unless it’s a fantasy or sci fi show.

26. Mike Q says:

“Higher velocity” and “lower ratings.”

27. Sarah says:

Eew are they going to find out they’re long lost siblings, hence the divisive split in one of Ausiello’s blind items??? Edgy stuff, ABC, edgy stuff. ;)

• Just one thing says:

Haha, I hope brother/sister has more to do with their suspects than with them.
      Although… if Castle and Beckett turned out to be siblings (Johanna Beckett and the Spy Daddy who shagged her, obvi), that would explain so much…

• lkh says:

I’ll match that eew and raise you an EEW, GROSS and YUCK!

• ndixit says:

I think its pretty clear that Stana meant that the first two eps are basically brother and sister to each other. One is from Castle’s perspective and one from Kate’s perspective. So the episodes are siblings, not the characters.

28. Everyone on this show deserves credit for creating intriguing characters. I hope they keep going for awhile.

29. lame says:

It’ll be interesting to see how Winter/Hawley fix Castle Canon that was totally obliterated in season 7. I guess that may be why they will revisit Rick and Kate’s origins. A reboot to reestablish Kate Beckett in good standing

30. Bill says:

I really hope Beckett and casket are safe in these two guys hands. After all the hard work Marlowe and co put in and Stana and Nathan put in, please don’t trash them, don’t ruin them. There’s only one thing that will make me quit this show and that’s casket breaking up, personally or professionally! I don’t care how much they want to shake things up or change is needed…you mess with the original premise of the show and I’m done.
    Stana katic, actress and producer:) like the sound of that.

31. TicaTica says:

I’m just happy that she’s back, she’s the reason I watch this show:)

32. aph1976 says:

I keep having this thought that Beckett, Esposito and Ryan could be transferred to a task force involving security next season because that could explain the 2 new characters that are security experts.That way different kind of crimes could be investigated.As for Castle and Beckett i don’t see them breaking up but their individual career plans might differ.

33. kaare Kramer says:

Products alot do stana good ! I think she should be soon!

34. aj says:

I refuse to jump on the doom and gloom train. I don’t understand why everything immediately has to be doom and gloom—the season hasn’t even started yet. I can understand last season when Castle’s mythology was forced fed but this season? Nah. Too little intel to go on to go all cra-cra for this fan. I’ll take it as it happens and not a moment sooner.

35. Carol says:

Having a 3 way triangle relationship should be for me the last time I watch this show after they just got married , last thing I want to see is Castle revert back to being a womanizer that should be the death nell for this show after him suppose to be madly in love with Beckett and her being the love of his life . They will kill the show for me.

36. Tom-VA49 says:

I admire Stana’s focus on her character. After all, getting Beckett ‘right’ was the key to Castle’s success as a series. The episode where she met her father-in-law remains one my favorites just because it put her in the kind of situation where she had to choose between enforcing one law over another.

37. truecat says:

I never found Stana that good looking as they think she is. But the writers has ruin the show. Now I don’t watch any thing on ABC