Wayward Pines Finale Ratings

Ratings: Wayward Pines Ends on High Note; Astronaut Wives Hits Lows

Fox may have a call to make after all. Wayward Pines‘ series finale on Thursday night drew 3.9 million total viewers and a 1.2 rating, rising 18 and 33 percent week-to-week and matching its demo high.

As such, Fox notes, Wayward stands as the top-rated scripted series of the summer, and is the only one to maintain at least a 2.0 in the demo (with DVR playback added in).

TVLine readers gave the finale an average grade of “B” and the 10-episode series overall an “A-.”

Opening Fox’s night, Boom! (2.2 mil/0.6) added a few eyeballs but ticked down in the demo.

Elsewhere….

ABC | Another one-season series, Astronaut Wives Club (3.8 mil/0.6), slipped 14 and 33 percent to season lows. Mistresses (2.9 mil/0.7) dipped 12 percent and a tenth, while Rookie Blue (3.8 mil/0.8) ticked up to a season high in the demo.

CBS | A Big Bang rerun (7.3 mil/1.5) drew the night’s largest audience. Big Brother (5.8 mil/1.8) slipped two tenths, while Under the Dome (4.6 mil/1.0) dipped to an audience low while inching up a tenth in the demo.

THE CW | Beauty and the Beast (1 mil/0.2) lost a precious tenth, while Dates (570K/0.1) was flat.

NBC | Food Fighters (3.5 mil/0.8) dipped a tenth. Dateline Thursday Night Mystery did 5.2 mil/1.0.

1. CJ says:

Honestly I’d love for Fox to stick to one-and-done with Wayward Pines. Yes, the ratings are good, but as we’ve seen with Under the Dome and Extant, it’s unlikely they will remain that high. It’d be great for networks to figure out how to make quality mini-series and limited series and earn viewers’ loyalty that way. As it is, they squander viewers’ support by being lazy and bringing back series that were never meant to continue.

• cc says:

I couldn’t agree with you more. When a show is intended to be only a mini-series, it should remain like that and not get renewed just because it was well received. And I’ve got to say, for me shows are way better when they have a plan, a specific end in sight that the creators stick to.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Agreed; it’d be great to see the single-season format held onto. Under the Dome (which didn’t have as good a Season 1 as Wayward) taught us a lesson, folks.

• gcw07 says:

I agree with you too. Several of these summer shows really should remain only one season. Extant and Under the Dome would have been much better off with telling just a single story instead of meandering for who knows how long. I’d prefer Wayward Pines to stick with the plan and end it here.

• xyz says:

I agree with this sentiment. If UtD had been planned for one and done it might have been better. I was obviously changed to be bigger but not better. I loved that Wayward Pines is a mini-series.

That doesn’t mean I want to see the 20+ season format change. I hate that POI is getting only 13 episodes in season 5.

• Julia says:

The only reason I’d defend a season 2 for Wayward is the fact that there are a series of books that could be drawn on for material. Season 1 definitely strayed from the book, but I have more confidence that a second round could work with the author involved. Under the Dome, Extant, etc. don’t have multiple books and source material to use as a baseline to keep storylines strong.

• Alyssa says:

I agree! As much as I loved Under The Dome when it first started I have become bored, season 3 is just ridiculous now & I dont find myself watching it LIVE or DVR’ing it. So as much as I thought Wayward Pines was a spectacular season it needs to stay that way & not have another season. I don’t wanna see something so good get ruined.

• James says:

Agreed, Wayward Pines would be a long shot to resurrect for season 2 even though the door was obviously left open for the prospect at the very end. The point that probably gets lost in the ambition of having success in Sci-Fi TV production is to choose your concepts wisely, franchises like Star Trek and Stargate SG1 are rare long run successes but the high CGI costs today could mean that limited season shows will be the way to go.

2. Nitemar says:

It was one of my favorite summer tv shows, hoping for a season 2.

3. Kim R says:

I am really enjoying Astronaut Wives Club. Rookie Blue is almost done here in Canada and it has been an excellent season. Hopefully it will be back.

4. AnnieM says:

I much preferred the book ending. Without Matt Dillon, I’m not interested in a Season 2.

5. Jennifer says:

I think Wayward should stay a one and done. As another poster mentioned, it allows the writers and actors the ability to know the start to finish, and be able to hone themselves to that.

Frankly, I love the idea of the “one & done” shows to be summer fare. it’s the perfect bridge to “regular” season television

6. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

This was a REALLY GOOD show I loved! it As much as I like to see a season 2 I think it’s better off as a one and done. Although the ending looks like there could be more stories to tell. Who’s watching over the town now? Who is the new leader?

7. Elisha ellis says:

I loved wayward pines please make another season!

8. kmw says:

FOX should be one and done with this but will they? Something tells me they will get greedy with this and try to push it too far Its nice however that FOX had something that kept peoples interest in summer time

9. Kat says:

Wayward Pines is fantastic! What are Fox executives thinking -canceling this suspenseful and fun show? Please regroup and give consumers what we want – back the show rather than add more trash reality TV.

• danyelle says:

Calm down – it wasn’t cancelled. It was always just 10 episodes. But there maybe is a chance Fox will want the producers to change their minds.

• nise 52 says:

WHY? It is just like that piece of crap The Prisoner from the 60’s! isolation and control WOW how about another 10 episodes of that! This really could have ended on a MUCH more interesting note instead they took the lazy way out more 21st century blah blah blah! at least we got top rate performances out of the veteran actors! What a mind numbing unoriginal shame and waste of time!

10. nise 52 says:

I just watched the finale and all I have to say is WTF! cancel it! I really wanted to like this series I mean look at the talent they had to work with ! that sucker just fell apart story wise I mean as soon as they killed Dillon and the kid woke I FELT LIKE I WAS IN GROUND HOG DAY! Jeeze same sh@t different day! I really liked this show all the way up to the finale who wants another fricken season of the same stuff! yeah yeah we know the obnoxious first gen kid is the new Pritchett not a very big imagination stretch!They killed all the main known veteran actors you feel like someone switched the name brand for the generic!

11. Mike says:

I too enjoy the single season concept. It has a beginning and more important, an ending. That’s rare these days. I hate it when you invest your time in a series only to see it cancelled midstream. Heck, I’m still waiting for the Robinson family aboard the Jupiter2 to return to Earth. Hopefully Fox will do this again.

12. Theresa says:

They should bring Wayward Pines back, but ONLY if they keep the same cast! There is nothing more aggravating than watching some lame actor/actress step into a role that was made perfect by another performer. I would not watch it if they replaced Matt Dillon! It would be SO easy to continue this series. I read all 3 books by Blake Crouch, but I always felt like I was let down by the ending. Hollywood pays good money to script writers, so Fox should hire the best and continue this exciting show! I haven’t enjoyed a series so much since Twin Peaks!

13. ike says:

Renew wayward Pines great show!!!!

14. Wm Craft says:

Don’t bring it back. Since the series ended (this season) with a “back to square one” quandary, I wouldn’t want to watch it all over again. Not fond of the ending but thanks to Fox for at least giving us an ending.

15. Natasha k says:

I REALLY LOVE THE ASTRONAUTS WIVES CLUB!! And hope IT DOES return for a second season! The cast is great and the stories are so much like what happened with a plot twist at every corner. It has what I believe is good tv for the summer. Please renew for next summer.

16. Lori says:

I LOVE, LOVE Wayward Pines !!!!!!!!
    And look forward to seeing more shows.