General Hospital: Ron Carlivati Out, Two Soap Vets In as Headwriter

Port Charles has seen another casualty.

General Hospital headwriter Ron Carlivati has been replaced by soap vets Jean Passanante and Shelly Altman, ABC announced Friday.

Altman and Passanante will start in their new roles on Aug. 10.

VIDEO General Hospital Promotes Big Farewell Week for Luke, ‘The Man Who Did It All’

Carlivati had been with the daytime drama since 2012, coming off his run as headwriter on sister soap One Life to Live. When news of his dismissal broke on Twitter Friday, many fans credited Carlivati with saving the show around the time that One Life to Live and All My Children were cancelled.

“We are pleased to welcome back two esteemed writers to our General Hospital family,” Vicki Dummer, Executive Vice President Current Series Programming, said in a statement. “Shelly and Jean’s combined talents and experiences promise to continue the show’s legacy of compelling storytelling that will resonate with our impassioned viewers. We’re delighted with what they have in store for the show as they continue honoring the rich, diverse environs of Port Charles.”

RELATED The View: Candace Cameron Bure, Paula Faris to Become Co-Hosts

In the past, Passanante has worked on the writing staffs of sudsers like All My ChildrenThe Young and the Restless and As the World Turns. Altman’s resume includes writing stints on One Life to Live and The Young and the Restless.

Both women have won multiple Daytime Emmy Awards.

Have thoughts on GH‘s behind-the-scenes shake-up? Sound off in the comments!

1. alistaircrane says:

YAAAAASSSSSSS!!!!! I’ll never forgive Ron for ruining my favorite OLTL character, Marty. Glad that hack is out of a job and will likely never work in daytime again!!!!

• LOL says:

Crazy Marty was the best Marty.

• matty says:

Exactly right!

• marz says:

No one ever thought Pratt or Higley would work in Daytime after what they did to their shows, but they both are head writers again.

• david says:

Get over it already. He did great things with GH and he should never have been let go! The characters of Nina, Franco, Julian, Spencer and Dr Obrechdt have kept me hanging on everyday for the past 2 years. I had given up on the show about a decade ago but came back to check out Donna Mills and kept watching because the show was so much better than before. No more drawn out scenes where nothing happens or things are just repeated to stall til Friday. That’s already back in play now that RC is gone. Can’t ABC hire anyone new who is not a failed bore from years and years ago? So disappointed in how the show has refocused on Sonny getting shot and seeing Carly day after day after day wringing her hands with predictable dialogue daily. She is on constantly just like the old days and where is Nina, Julian, Franco??? Watch ratings tank in the year to follow. Mark my words.

2. mfarris70 says:

Whether you liked Carlivati’s work or not, he did save the show from cancellation and for that I am grateful. Replacing him with the same ol’ same ol’ writers is hardly news worth celebrating for me. Now what will I do with those five hours a week I’m getting back?

• alistaircrane says:

Watch Days. It’s celebrating its 50th anniversary this fall and bringing back all sorts of popular supercouples and fan faves, as well as making the vets front and center again.

• MemphisGuy says:

I agree completely, mfarris70. Altman and Passanante have appeared elsewhere on daytime, and their writing and stories are not particularly great or memorable. Passanante has proven time and again she is a relic of daytime past. I quit watching Y and R when these two were at the helm. GH is not long for the air.

• jbj says:

Agreed! I’ve been a lifelong viewer, so I’m not about to quit, but I do feel like taking a break. I knew something was up when they rehired Passante, and I’m sure he suspected it too. He wasn’t perfect, but he was fun and made me laugh. I just got Showtime on Hulu, so I’ll be spending my extra 5 hours a week catching up on Masters of Sex.

• Clandestine Green says:

MFarris..you are re-writing history. RC did not save GH…the failure of The Revolution and The Katie Couric show did.

• Anthony O'Dell says:

I agree but Ron did do a great job and loved the characters he created during his reign and also bringing back past characters and actors too.

• Monique says:

Totally agree! Bad decision! If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

• david says:

I totally agree with you. GH will go back to being the Carly Show. GH has been consistently good for the first time in a decade if you ask me since 2012. It’s not perfect, but there are definitely must see moments that really entertain! I wonder if the new Dante, Lulu, Valerie storyline is the God awful work of the new writers? So glad Mccouch quit in protest and GH is left with its lame duck original Sloan. Soaps need new blood–not these old has-beens who are going to schill more of the same old regurgitation from their old jobs.

• david says:

You are sooo right! I gladly watched GH the past 2 years but it’s already back to having Carly overact every scene with totally predictable story lines–Sonny got shot, it’s touch and go, the bullet’s near his spine, he’s in surgery, he’s out and talking but he could die any minute… Que Carly’s hand wringing and tears… All the tired old worn out cliches of what a soap opera is, done terribly and I say WHAT A SHAME!. RC had her under control and she and Sonny were actually enjoyable to watch, but no more. WAKE UP ABC DAYTIME–YOU KIDNAPPED THE VIEW AND TURNED IT INTO BET FOR DUMMIES, AND NOW YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY RETURNED GH TO SNORESVILLE! WHO CARES IF RON CARLIVATI DIDN’T EVER SPEAK TO ANTHONY GEARY? HE GAVE YOU TONS OF SCREEN TIME AND YOUR STORYLINE DIDN’T SUCK FOR ONCE.

3. N says:

• mary says:

NOOOOOOOOO!! You will regret this action.

• When ratings drop, and GH is threaten to be off the airwaves we have nobone to blame but who else…..your two replacement writers who replaced RC!!!! Ron kept…humor…fun…suspense…thriller….and passion as well as bringing the GH vets back from time to time as well as it should’ve been so new viewer’s can see who and where GH generation really begun. DUMB MOVE VOTER’S!!!!!!!

• david says:

Yes! He even found a way to keep so much of the older cast and that was no easy feat. And he gave them interesting stories that were enjoyable to watch. GH”s ratings will surely tank now. Who ever runs ABC daytime should be replaced. (again)

4. Tony says:

A change was needed. While I was a fan and enjoyed a lot of his stuff, he was beginning to wear out his welcome. Not to mention his defensiveness on Twitter came off as tacky and unprofessional.

5. RichCD says:

It was time. GH needs to resonate on a level other than camp. Or baby stories. At the very least, maybe the new writers can cut down on the enormous amount of recap/exposition that makes watching an entire episode almost impossible.

6. LT says:

You will realize very shortly that this is a mistake.

• Yesssss all the winers and complainers will realize when the show goes off air!!!

• david says:

Yes — Ron and Frank are a team and they did great work on GH and OLTL! The only reason I started watching GH again was because of them and Donna Mills. And I was so pleased when I began watching again that it was really good for the first time in years. So sad to bring these 2 has been writers in to turn the show back into the same old plot lines that are just not interesting or fun to watch. The show has been terrible since Valerie came on. Jake and Elisabeth’is scenes are awful and Jake needs to be recast if they are going to keep that character.(Elisabeth needs to have her hair cut the way it was a year ago btw). Dylan and Lulu need to be axed too!

7. Melora says:

The fact he never spoke to Tony Geary speaks volumes! And I like to think Jane Elliot talked with him and hes currently laughing

8. Billie says:

GH is character bloated – too many characters. They should lose the ones that don’t really move story forward and just take up space that could be used for more meaningful dialogue. I wish they would get rid of Morgan, Kiki, Ava and Silas – that would be a good start. They should focus more on the legacy characters.

• Mary says:

No on Ava, her character has been fantastic this past year. Morgan is okay but kiki can go. Silas is just there, he needs a storyline or leave.

• Laura says:

I read in Soap Opera Digest that GH is planning a new murder mystery. Apparently it’s a “soap hopper” who filmed last scenes in June. Especially with the photo tvline attached to this article it makes me think TPTB have decided to kill off another Quartermaine – Ned Ashton. If so – boo, hiss!

• Bri says:

Noooooo! Ned is one of the few characters the kept right in recent years! LOOOOOVE him!

• TinLV says:

There are several “soap hoppers” among the current GH case. One of them is Rick Hearst, and since his character is currently doing very bad things, and he has a history of bad acts, my guess is Ric will be the murder victim.. there would be plenty of suspects.

• Thank you! Totally agree, I only like Franco when he’s interacting with Scotty, they are hilarious together. More vets, enough of the kids, although I like Sabrina and her new friendship with Tracy. ❤️

• MuzzikLvr says:

Well looks like you got at least one of your requests.

9. Memphisbred says:

I’m glad that Carlivati is out, but seriously Passante and Altman? Haven’t they already been axed from other soaps? Why do we keep getting the same writers who’ve failed elsewhere recycled? How about Claire Labine? Oh, that’s right. ABC doesn’t want intelligent writers. They might actually turn out quality programming and drive away the attention deficit viewers they seem want so badly.

• MemphisGuy says:

You’re spot on, Memphisbred. Seeing those names as Carlivati’s replacement made me shudder. Passanante has left us with decades of listless storytelling spanning three networks. Miraculously, she still finds work. That is her legacy; it befuddles me. As much as I love Claire Labine (1994-95 GH had arguably the finest writing on television), at her age, she may not be up to the task of plotting over 250 episodes a year. Names that need to be considered are Nancy Curlee and Stephen Demorest. Great post!

• For the fuddy duddy old timers great programming was and always will be with R.C.!!! Ric is funnier than all get up even when playing the bad guy and Franco is jet as laughable especially when he get’s with Ava. Yea Ava I like her too BC she is funny when she does not get her way!! This is by I never watched Y&R or Bold &Beautiful or Days of Our Lives, because they were boring story lines and uninteresting character’s. BIG MISTAKE bringing these two women writers on board to replace R.C. you will see!!!!

10. casper says:

Bring back Epiphany, Monica, Anna. Transfer Jordan along with Valerie. Tell Jake who he is already.Get rid of Obrecht, Morgan, Ava. Just how many times are they going to marry Sonny & Carly. Nina, Rick story line is crazy. They are not needed. Liz is nothing but a whiner….The kid who plays Spencer is so annoying. What is wrong with these writers??

• Mary says:

Sounds like you don’t like any of them so why are you watching? I will say I am not crazy about a couple of the story lines recently, but I did appreciate the fact that Ron utilize some of the female characters that were pushed aside with previous writers, producers.
      Sorry Epiphany is a great minor character but don’t see her as major player. I guess I am one of the few that liked Ron. Some of the stories didn’t work but I think that is the case on any of the shows.

11. Tresa Smith says:

Good, maybe he will finally tell Jake he’s Jason. His son who came back from the dead is even connecting to him.

12. Personally, GH needs to look outside of the current/former soap writers to find new blood. I’d live it if they found some romance novelists to write for them. With so many genres out there, it isn’t like there aren’t a ton of authors that write about dozens of subjects.

• jbj says:

That’s true, there are hundreds of struggling romance writers out there and it makes no sense for shows to keep going back to questionable ones. What doesn’t make sense is replacing someone who is still being positively recognized for his work, as opposed to giving him fresher staff.

13. Sarah says:

I watched GH for over ten years but I had to stop after Ron Carlivati shoved OLTL down GH’s throat. It was horrible seeing OLTL characters being forced into stories in order to take most of the story away from GH characters. I had nothing against OLTL before that but using GH as their lifeboat was atrocious and even though I don’t think I have it in me to go back to see the ruins of GH, I’m still glad to see Carlivati gone.

• kay says:

I agree. Anybody who thinks RC saved GH must have been a OLTL fan.

• bj says:

True. I never watched OLTL and I hated that their characters started taking over the show. Then when they recast them yet again they turned a GH villain into a campy clown and wondered why fans were turning away.

They need to get rid of a few excess characters and start focusing on General Hospital characters again, whether or not they look good with their shirt off!

• jbj says:

I’m not sure what RC has to do with any of that, since he wasn’t responsible for casting. Though, I suppose Frank Valenti and award-winning casting director Mark Teschner will be next on the chopping block.

• mary says:

I am a GH and OLTL fan. ron is a great writer. Ron helped save GH. and wrote 3 years of GH. rating, like stocks go up and down.

• breygi says:

I agree with this. I watched GH since I was (way to) little, but gave up early in RC’s tenure. I turned on GH today and realized I recognize almost NONE of the characters. I know he’s brought back some old faves, but along with improving a show to entice new viewers, you need to give old viewers a reason to come back (at least with the anemic soap genre). I don’t have that.

14. Sonia says:

I am so glad he is gone. I wish they would recast Robin. Please get rid of Olbrecht and give the job to Monica or Silas. GH you finally did something right. Please end that Jake/Jason storyline. You drag storylines on too long. Elizabeth is such a whiner. Put some clothes on Sam.

15. KKGator says:

Hallelujah!!!!! It’s about time!
    I hope that hack never writes for television (or anything else)
    ever again.
    It’s also WELL past time that Jason finds out who he really is.
    Then they can write off Elizabeth once and for all.
    She can take Nina with her.

16. Sally fields says:

Gh really needs new writers! I’m about to quit watching totally. Glad Luke is going. The new Kiki is pathetic and get rid of the queers! They are sickening . Nina story is old n boring too.

• Ethan says:

Well aren’t you a hateful bigot.

• Steve Hardy says:

The ratings have dropped with these storylines………Fact.

• That comment was about Sally’s ignorance about the LGBT community. She is very much a hateful bigot.

• Nick says:

Not all GH viewers want to watch guys dropping the soap in the shower, or naked guys in towels working out all day. These kind of things seemed to drive alot of the writing and directing under Ron. Its just as obnoxious as when straight people try to drive their own sexual issues down people’s throats.

• Sara says:

I thought GH’s ratings have gone up the past couple of years?

• AJ says:

Ironic that your trolling name is Sally Field who is quite the champion of gay rights. Go climb back under your rock you troll. If you don’t like the story, that’s fine, but no need to be a hateful b!tch

• Laura says:

Agreed get a Kiki who actually has a spine. Plus if old rumors are true get on with showing that Nina is her mom not Ava.

• Bri says:

I’m not a fan of the gay storyline either. They’re all annoying (I used to LOVE Felix) and I can’t pretend to be with any of them, lol. But dang! That was ridiculous. And rude. And crude. Just because you can say something doesn’t mean you should. Have a little class.

• mememe123 says:

Hahah I love Sam, but yeah give her a new wardrobe and cover up her boobs once in a while

• I agree no need to call names like that. I too agree that the show needs to stop showing gay men rolling around naked in or out of the shower and kissing. I am not a Homophobic just not morally right is all. Get your own TV show soap for that kind of behavior!!!

• mememe123 says:

The scene where Felix dropped the soap was …uh …..gross

17. No tears here. Ron ruined OLTL and I vowed never to watch any of his shows again.

18. Abe Froman says:

Now we know why he was so uncharacteristically silent on Twitter after the Geary interview blew up. I’ve never known a grown man to act so childish and immature as Carlivati.

• jbj says:

He went silent about the show on Twitter after the script scandal with Holly a few weeks ago. But to me, that was a sign that he was about to be thrown under the bus. I’ve read some of the comments people tweet him, and rude deserves rude.

• Mary says:

I agree, however Tony admitted that he changed the line it wasn’t written that way. I like Geary’s acting but I do think he has a ego problem so I am really not that upset he is leaving.

19. I may credit him for saving the show in 2012 but he’s been destroying it for at least the last year and a half and probably longer.

I hate to see anyone lose their job but it was way past time for a change. Just wish they had put Frank Valentini out with him because I don’t think 100% of the fault was Carlivati’s

20. kay says:

Oh, this is awesome! RC is finally gone!
    He didn’t save the show at all. He nearly destroyed it.

• Mary says:

Not true, how to explain increase in ratings? GH would of been cancelled with all the other ABC soaps because the network wants to produce cheap TV. When the ratings increased they could justify keeping it on.

21. Richard says:

Please let this mean Franco will go. It’s time for changes.

22. mary says:

Ron is the best and most creative writer in soaps. he helped save GH and now the complainers got him fired. I hope this is not the beginning of the end of GH.

• Abe Froman says:

The complainers didn’t get him fired, ratings did.

• Mary says:

I don’t think it was the complainers I think it was the people tuning out in record numbers. And if he was so great the ratings wouldn’t be what they are.

The Chew saved GH not Ron let’s be real.

• What so bad about it….heck! The ratings were already down before R.C. even got there!!! I loved the scene where all 4 Sonny…Ava…Franco…and Jullian were all together coming in a little at a time to Pentonville Prison, and then all 4 riding and talking smack in the get a way car!!!! Lolol!!! Thank you RON C.

23. Gwen Hutchence says:

Way too much TODD MANNING. He must have really missed OLTL. Not true to history, The whole reason Carly left Sonny was to protect the kids. Why remarry him now? The Jason thing has dragged on way too long. They are also ruining Nik.

24. I just checked Wikipedia and here are some contract players that can be cut to save money:

– Bryan Craig (Morgan)
    – Michael Easton (Silas)
    – Brytni Sarpy (Valerie)
    – Robert Palmer Watkins (Dillon)
    – Roger Howarth (Franco)

A lot of people dislike the current Kiki, but I think she’s just been throw into water trying to mimic Kristen Alderson’s predictable acting, while not having a worthwhile storyline. Have her get caught in the mob picture or trouble with Ava and she’ll be much better.

I would also give Michelle Stafford another chance, just with a fixed character. Stafford is one of the genre’s best actresses, but Nina has been written so poorly.

Franco and Silas have run their course and were only there because of the OLTL connection. There was no need to bring Dillon back, Valerie is terrible, and they don’t know what to do with Morgan.

• Steve Hardy says:

Correct.

• James says:

Why Dillon. He just started his run and he’s a legacy character, a Quartermaine especially. GH needs to rebuild that core family before making another attempt of leading that family into extinction.

• Mary says:

Dillion is a Q the biggest demand and one of the reasons for the ratings decline under Giza was lack of Qs that’s why you bring him back. I would get rid of Morgan, Valerie, Kiki, staffers, Ava, Silas, Franco, Dante, lulu.

Bring back Tom hardy jr., Brooklyn for the younger crowd

• Mary says:

Most of the Q’s are gone, which by the way was previous writers who eliminated them. I for one am tired of bring the dead back – been there, done that. I disagree on a couple of ones you would get rid of. Ava needs to stay she is fantastic. Dante and Lulu also need to stay. I could keep Morgan if they give him a story line, if not he can leave. The rest can go. As much as I love Roger Howarth, when they rewrote him as Franco it never worked for me. Sorry I have been watching GH for quite a few years and to be honest I don’t even remember Tom Hardy Jr. No sense having Brooklyn there when Ned has left the show.

• Fran Eckley says:

The Q’s and Sonny are the show. All Morgan knows how to do is get horizontal every minute of the day. “Love in the afternoon, PLEASE. there is a difference between making love and the Energizer Sex crazed bunny that is Morgan Corinthos.

• Stella says:

I agree but keep Dillon and expand his story.

• If they want to rebuild the Quartermaine family, something I would approve of, then I can see his value. I just don’t know how often Monica can appear for health reasons (Leslie Charleson is 70 after all) and I don’t think they’ll be bringing Jason back to the family.

But if they just continue with the love square of Dillon, Lulu, Dante and Valerie, I don’t see his purpose.

• 70 is nothing, I have a friend who is 85 and more active than me! Leslie’s acting is fantastic, MORE Quartermaines! That said, not sure about the acting abilities or lack of (I read he has no acting experience to speak of) of the new Dillon, but will keep an open mind. I loved when Jason came over and had tea with Monica, what chemistry, as can hardly wait for them to have a real reunion.

• Mary says:

People they are all dead, thanks to previous management. Do you really want another back from the dead story line. Sorry that ship has sailed.

• angie says:

Roger Howarth is one of the most talented and enjoyable actors on daytime TV. He can be hard, he can be gentle, he can be serious, he can be funny, he can be strong, he can be vulnerable. I don’t understand how he has not been picked up by primetime, but as long as GH has him, he should be featured. IMO.

• ST says:

I will agree with you except for Roger Howarth. I’d love to see “Franco” go away, and please take Nina and her nasty mother with you, but I LOVE Roger Howarth and would hate to see him leave. I hated that they brought him back after “Todd” as “Franco”, but he is always entertaining — so give him a new character and bring him back a third time. Or, just bring Todd back! Dump Julian Jerome, and Todd can take over the publishing in PC again. But, agreed, there are many, many characters that need to go away, and you listed several of them.

• Nick says:

Well said ST. One of the only reasons im still watching GH is because Franco and Nina are some of my favorite characters. One of my main issues with Ron has been that he refuses to allow any characters more than a moment or two of happiness. But i am glad that he created them, and i hope they stick around. If the news writers make GH just about Sonny and his kids again, i think it will be off the air. At least Ron tried something different.

25. mike says:

GH did need new blood but it got old blood. Get some fresh writers in to revive the genre not the same old names that keep playing musical chairs of writers rooms.

26. April says:

I personally always loved Carl and Sonny together. I would agree that morgan, kiki, silas, Nina , and Franco need to go. Their characters are really pointless. PLEASE reveal Jasons identity and get rid of that God awful Elizabeth.

27. Peanut says:

I’m really glad Marty is out only because he made General Hospital the most frustrating soap to watch with all the new actors and storylines. I always felt that GH ran at a very good pace and we were always able to appreciate the actors abilities more. Also all the storylines were easier to keep up with. Good riddance to all the fleeting presentations of each storyline and also to Marty too (for that matter). Now we can get back to some normalcy!

28. Mick says:

Tony Geary’s exit interview were he called Ron “that writer” and voiced his anger about several storylines was the final nail in the coffin.

• jbj says:

Tony Geary was and is a narcissistic ass, who would have made “that writer’s” job a lot easier if he left years ago.

29. TVfan says:

I get that people are happy that Ron is leaving, but Jean Passanante is just as bad or maybe even worse in my opinion. Not only did she ruin ATWT, but the way she ended it was horrible. Then she went to GH, and continued to push Sonny and the mob down our throats until she left and went to Y&R and ruined that show. Now, she back on GH,and I’m guessing its going to turn back into the Sonny/Carly/Jason(Jake) show, otherwise known as The SOAPranos!! :(

• James says:

At least she did wrote an ending for As the World Turns. One Life to Live and All My Children, never had that luxury.

• Mary says:

I don’t get why they don’t hire new blood it’s what the genre needs.

Why not that guy who wrote night shift?

• Tam says:

Those three (Carly, Sonny, Jason) are why I started watching in the first place. Year 20006. 😊

• Nick says:

No more SOAPranos! GH wont survive it. Sonny was more likeable and a better person 10 years, so thats how they got away with it with viewers for so long. But if they try that now it will be a disaster.

30. They will have my thanks if they end all this Mafia garbage!

31. Clandestine Green says:

I think it’s interesting that some people credit RC for saving GH when the reality is that GH saved RC’s job. RC did so much damage to GH with his convoluted, predictable, and manic story telling. He dropped more story lines and characters than I can count. He introduced characters while on-canvas, on contract characters/actors were underused and relegated to the background.

He recycled stories from OLTL and did untold damage with the forced and flawed introduction of Easton, Alderson, & Howarth. The Jerome saga and the Luke/Fluke fiasco were major fails. His obsession with Spencer is creepy and Nina has been a huge waste of screen time and money. He destroyed legacy characters and was rude and dismissive to both fans and actors. He was an unmitigated disaster. Good riddance.

• Joyce Divine says:

totally agree with all of it. When other actors like Stamos, Jack Wagner, Steve Burton alluded to the fact that he was an arse.. people didn’t believe it. But Tony Geary set the record straight. I am so freaking glad that he is gone. Ron C needs to be try another line of work.

• jbj says:

Get real. John Stamos was about as likely and necessary of a get as Demi Moore. Jack Wagner has always been a fickle jerk (ask his ex-wife). And, Steve Burton wanted a deal that the new producer Frank Valenti wasn’t going to give him. Moreover, as a FoJ who earned a lot in excess episodes, he was bound to be unhappy with the GH’s new cost-cutting measures.

• Joyce Divine says:

John Stamos was a likely and necessary as KiKi and Franco, both duds. At least he is a recognizable character from the past that viewers give a rip about. ANd that aside, the point is, they all said the same things about Ron, basically he’s a douche. And as fickle as Jack Wagner is, he and his ex-wife are working together now, soo.. can’t be that bad. Since I wasn’t privy to the negotiations with Stevie B and GH, I’ll defer to what you say about it…since you were there and all.

32. Bri says:

Ron saved the show, it’s true. GH was AMAZING when he first came on. I love that they brought back so many legacy characters. But then it went downhill in a hurry. Here’s hoping these ladies give GH the old school soap flair that we want while upping the game!

• MemphisGuy says:

Sadly, Bri, Altman and Passanante are not capable of meeting the requirements mentioned in your last sentence.

• Clandestine Green says:

Ron did not save General Hospital…the failure of The Revolution and The Katie Couric show are the reasons GH is still on.,..not RC.

33. Joyce Divine says:

Yay!! Sorry but Ron C was the worst i’ve ever seen. Rude and obnoxious. the characters on GH suffered. Now maybe I can get back to watching my show again. oh BTW— Get Steve Burton back!!!

34. Connie says:

Ron was the reason OLTL tanked. He did help save GH. But he is making the same mistake GH was near cancelled. It is all mobbed up again. He is going all campy like he did on OLTL as well. This Ava/Denise storyline is awful. But also agree they could have chosen better replacement. Garin Wolf should be co head writer and Alman. Pass on Passante.

• Stella says:

Poor Morgan must be brain dead. Can’t tell that Denise’s body is the same as Ava’s? Poor Nina hearing a baby crying while standing next to Rick with is cell phone in his pocket playing the crying noises. Poor writing.

35. matty says:

What will it take for them to just bring Claire Labine back?

36. Gayle says:

Maybe if GH wants new blood, maybe they should hire Tyler Perry. He wrote, produced and created Cable’s #1 soap, “The Haves and the Have Nots.”

37. Linda says:

I’m glad to hear that new writers are coming in cuz some of the story lines are so far fetched it’s beyond rediculous this is part of the reason I stopped watching (one life to live) I’ve been waiting for the change hope they can get it back to where it’s beleiveable

38. S. Lucero says:

Perhaps Calivati was fired because of some stupid storylines. Nina hearing a baby crying while standing next to Rick. Anyone would know that sound was coming right next to her. Pleeze! Second one: Denise and Morgan making love. He doesn’t know she’s Ava? Dah. Can’t he remember what her body looks and feels like? Even twins would not be that identical! Another dah.

• Anthony Smothers says:

Sonny, Franco and Derek breaking out of prison and then Sonny getting a pardon from the Port Charles mayor was a stupid storyline

39. diane says:

Smart change. Never liked his writing.

40. Ron saved GH. He introduced Ava Jerome, Nina, Morgan Corinthos and others. He used the rich history of this show to help it regain its stature. Finally he wrote on April 1-2, 2015 the best days in the History of Soaps when Luke Spencer came face to face with his past.

41. About time. Not very happy with the recent story lines. Same story different character. May need to stop watching once Anthony Geary is gone

42. Christian says:

Too bad this didn’t happen about a year ago. Tony Geary’s last story was written by RC, which was an unfortunate way of ending Geary’s iconic career. Carlivati had a great appreciation of GH history, but he has the attention span of a child and his stories were all over the place, and eventually descended into the intellectual level of a 5 year old.

• Are you crazy ? Tony Geary’s last story yielded the best story that soaps have ever had. April 1-2, 2015 were the greatest days ever for a soap. This iconic character came face to face with his past and his demons. Splendid acting by all involved. There is nothing left for tony to do. He has done it all. He showed why he is the greatest lead actor ever in soaps.

43. Christian says:

Now if only someone would have the guts to write out Scummy Corinthos and his scummy brood!

44. Bobby says:

I just hope in their “lessons learned” meeting they stop dragging story lines out for a year or more. There’s simply no reason they can’t solve a character’s story line in 3 months and move on. This Jake/Jason thing is ridiculous and more than anything is making me quit General Hospital.

45. Cathy says:

Happy days!!! I’m so glad that Ron is out !! In my opinion he ruined GH

46. Debi says:

There are lots of unfinished storyline and killing off Quartermaine and lots of younger role and good actor who have mess up roles n this is the only soap I’ve watched dead don’t stay dead n why is it a big deal we have to wait so long for Jake /jason

47. Peach says:

48. violet says:

Anthony Geary was not around that much for the last 10 years,wont miss him.

49. Kelly says:

so sad he is a great writer and I have been watching GH since 1981 and the last 3 years have been fantastic with him as head writer, I hope ABC will change their minds and bring him back!

• I totally agree. Ron saved GH and introduced one of the best female characters we have seen in a long time. Ava Jerome is brilliant. I am hoping that GH does not dumb down its storylines in the same fashion that Y&R has. At least I got to see Tony Geary act in the greatest storyline ever when he confronted his demons on April 1, 2015 during the 50th Anniversary show.

50. mememe123 says:

if this is the man who came up with the ignorant Jennifer and Frank Smith story…since Jennifer would be about 70 and Frank well over 100, it was an insult to those of us who have watched Anthony Geary since the beginning. Really, a kidnapping over Luke’s old wanker?