Lone Gunmen X-Files Revival

Lone Gunmen Trio Returning for Fox's X-Files Revival Series

Three more fan-favorite characters just RSVP’d (possibly from beyond the grave) to Fox’s upcoming X-Files revival series.

Tom Braidwood, Dean Haglund, and Bruce Harwood (aka the Lone Gunmen) are set to appear in at least one episode of the revival, despite the fact that their characters were — spoiler alert! — killed off in the show’s ninth season. The news was broken on Twitter by Haglund, himself:

The popular trio was given a short-lived, self-titled spinoff in 2001; it was cancelled after 13 episodes.

Other X-Files favorites returning for the revival include Walter Skinner (Mitch Pileggi) and the cigarette-smoking man (William B. Davis).

New footage will be shown Thursday during the season finale of Wayward Pines (Fox, 9/8c).

Are you excited for the Lone Gunmen’s return? Confused as to how they’re going to pull it off? Drop all your thoughts in a comment below.

• David Stumme says:

I think they retconned it in the comic books that the Gunmen’s deaths were faked. They could do something similar on the show. That, or use flashbacks.

• Comic book sequels to cancelled TV shows are always dreadful because rather than truly continue plot threads they do stunts like the one you mention. I hope they don’t do anything like it. A flashback would be best because it would help tie the original show with the revival far better. A lingering plot thread from the past that has significance today. That said — these people have certainly aged, so a flashback or ghosts seems fairly unlikely, which, unfortunately, only leaves the option that they faked their deaths, urgh.

• kuzuri says:

It wasn’t a stunt. Chris Carter is on board for the commics. They didn’t die. It’s not really a retcon.

• The ninth season of the TV show was dreadful, so it’s better off retconned.

• The ninth season is still canon. It’s the comic that the revival is ignoring.

• kuzuri says:

Carter has always said that the comics were canon. He’s not going to use them for the show, true, but that doesn’t mean there not canon anymore. Anyways, I’m used to comics out of canon in the many other franchises I follow, so I don’t really care ;) they’re still part of ‘my canon’, but Carter didn’t say they were out. He just said he wasn’t going to use story elements of the comics. Wich is logical, because a lot of people don’t read them.

• Andrew says:

Jump the Shark was designed to give the writers an out re: bringing the Lone Gunmen back from the beginning. It’s not like we looked at their corpses and now they’re suddenly alive again. Morris Fletcher lied for them.

1. Lorie says:

Awesome!

2. wrstlgirl says:

OMG I think I just peed my pants, LOL! Very very exciting!!!

• Mike M says:

I got worse news for you. The Lone Gunmen page on IMDB has just been UN Endated. Now reads “2001 – “. So who knows what could come next. The saddest part of all is that TLG was only kinda a 50/50 Chris Carter gig. A lot of the grunt work in producing and writing was done by some other dude. So if they do a short run revival or whatever later with TLG we’ll probably have to put up with a lot of input from some schmuck named Vince Gilligan… yeah, ah well.

3. bob balashi says:

But they can’t come back, they’re de.. oh I don’t care anymore…

4. kmw says:

Cannot wait to see how they do this. I am glad they are coming back in whatever capacity

5. Mike Orson says:

Isn’t Cancer Man also dead? He got blown up in the desert by a missile.

• Adam Safranek says:

I’m thinking if they bring back Cancer Man after such a fiery end maybe he’s in actuality an alien/human hybrid as a kill shot to the back of the neck would be the only thing to utterly destroy him. If you think back he was always un-phased by Mulder, Skinner, etc. pointing guns at him and would actually taunt them. Just a thought :)

6. Jules says:

Now I’m anticipating the return of the 6episodes…

7. Big X-Files Fan says:

AWESOME!

8. stlsweetie51 says:

C’mon people…this is show about monsters, paranormal activity, things that go bump in the night, and aliens. Of course the Lone Gunmen and CGB can come back from the dead

• melinda says:

yep soaps do it all the time with some convoluted plot twist. so it shouldn’t be impossible on a science fiction show.

9. The Grinch says:

Awesome sauce. Never thought they were really dead. Of course, their deaths were faked. Haglund is a real cool guy. Back in 1998, someone jokingly mentioned an X-Files/Xena crossover. I emailed that to both Haglund and Bruce Campbell on a goof. MInutes later, Dean responded that would be a great idea. Moments later Bruce Campbell replied that he liked the way I think. A decade before Twitter, I was amazed they replied. Wish I had saved them.

10. Steven says:

Holding in screams because I’m at work!!!

• Sam Wood says:

I’m doing the same thing right now!! This is the best news about the X Files revival so far!!! This trio of awesomeness was one of many wonderful things about the original series. Frohike, Byers and Langley forever!!!

11. So glad The Lone Gunmen are back. Met Dean Haglund and he’s a thoroughly nice chap! Their spin-off was okay and should have continued. Great characters that could have been developed more and further explored, maybe with different writers?

12. OK, NOW I’m excited!

13. Sarah Hedley says:

Few to no fans are bringing up the fact that they returned, post-death, in the series finale. Along with many other dead characters. Depending how you interpret this, it is easy to explain. Mulder was aided by these “visitors” during an important and stressful time. I always interpreted this as Mulder being open to visitations due to his vulnerability. In some of the material talking about the new season, they state that Mulder is not in a good place. I am assuming that there will be more “visitations” at this time and that is how the characters who died are able to come back to the series. I’m sure however they will bring these characters back will be satisfying.

14. Kim says:

I just can’t wait. Where I live in the country we have never gotten cable or satelite. For the 6 shows I WILL HAVE SATELITE! The X-Files are the best! Glad to have the Lone Gunmen back.

15. Bella says:

Loved the Lone Gunmen, they were my favorite recurring characters, and I enjoyed their spinoff, too. I was outraged when they were killed off on the X-Files and will accept any explanation or even no explanation at all, as long as I get the chance to see them again.

16. Andrea says:

I bet they are alien clones of the originals ;)

17. Amanda says:

So… Are they just gonna fix everything they frakked up in season 9? Better yet, season 9 was just a bad dream and never happened? I’m cool with that.

18. tyranthraxus says:

Clones?

19. Tracey says:

If the LGM and Cancerman can make an appearance from beyond the grave, then, dammit, so can Krycek!!!!

20. Lizo says:

YAASSSSSSS

21. Sheldon W. says:

Woo-Hoo!

22. Brilliant! I loved the spin-off, (which you can see on YoutTube), so this is a great move imho.

23. Howard Johnston says:

Well, they have already reappeared as ‘ghosts’ or figments of Mulder’s imagination in the show’s original finale – so why not in the same context? They could be his conscience. Not that he really needs one!!

24. This makes me so happy!

25. mike says:

There’s only going to be like 6 eps right? I hope there’s a story of some sort mixed in with all these cameos

26. This news is rockin’ my world right now

27. Rick Chablis says:

Yay

28. Ron says:

The X-files isn’t THE X-FILES without the Lone Gunmen. They were the added ‘whipped cream with a cherry on top’ that just added to whole over-all ‘banana split-chocolate Sundae’ deliciousness of the X-Files.That show was entertainment!! If their roles are placed just as they were previously, right time, right place to call them in, it’ll make for a fantastic revival. I’m betting this show just might explode back on TV just like Star Wars has in the movie theaters. BTW, I’m a die hard fan, and I’ve bought every show (plus the movies) available on DVD. It’s still awesome!! :-)

29. Bob Glenn says:

No Agent Doggett , but bring all of the rest back.