Michael Chiklis Joins Gotham

Michael Chiklis Cops Big Gotham Role, Joins Season 2 as Series Regular

The GCPD has a new savior, and his name is… Vic Mackey?!

Gotham is returning Michael Chiklis to his Shield roots, casting the Emmy winner in the series-regular role of Captain Nathaniel Barnes, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Who’s Barnes, exactly? Per Gotham‘s producers, he “lands on the GCPD like a tornado, ripping out the dead wood of Gotham’s police force. He is a law and order zealot; unafraid of making enemies – on either side of the law. For Gordon (Ben McKenzie), Barnes is a hero and a mentor, someone with whom he can share the burden of heroism. Captain Barnes proves himself to be a strong ally to Gordon… but one day he will make an equally powerful enemy.”

Gordon could certainly use an ally right about now. At Comic-Con earlier this month, exec producer Bruno Heller billed Season 2 as “the rise of the villains,” a development that will cause the titular city to “decline into chaos.” Added McKenzie: “As the villains rise, there’s an arms race, and the good guys have to increase their force as well. There’ll be new heroes introduced.”

Chiklis most recently starred in American Horror Story: Freak Show.

Gotham kicks off its second season on Monday, Sept. 21 at 8/7c on Fox.

1. Lizzie says:

Uhm Nice! So strong casting coming out of DC TV

2. Mary says:

yesss!!! now I have to finish season 1!!!

3. Mr. Tran K says:

With Michael Chiklis being cast, Season 2 of Gotham won’t disappoint unless if the series can overcome Supergirl in the 8 p.m. Monday night time slot.

4. . (@yikes77) says:

WOOT! Great news.

5. LADY_in_MD says:

Omg watching him on Hollywood game night right now love him and love this news!

• LADY_in_MD says:

I should have added he will always be the commish to me lol

• Carla Krae says:

Me, too!

• JEREMY says:

You can count on Chiklis to bring some of that same gravitas to GOTHAM.

Expect to be intense with the coming of the Rogues Gallery and the arms race,and don’t EVEN count out the return of Crispus Allen and Renee Montoya if Capt. Barnes REALLY wants to weed out dirty cops.

This season GOTHAM has to pack some REAL punch to counterbalance
        The Greatest American Hero with Big Tits on the Eye Network.

6. And the cops will lose that arms race, otherwise there wouldn’t be a need for a Bat-Man. I wouldn’t be surprised if by the end of the third season Godon ended up with some sort of bad habit like drinking heavily to drown out his failure to save Gotham. Maybe cage fighting to relieve the stress?

7. Lizo says:

I keep not wanting to watch this show…then they cast Jada, so I watch S1. Then she’s not returning so I can stop watching…and now they add Chiklis?! Dang you Gotham.

8. Concerned says:

Ugh this makes me sad. Such a great actor I am cringing picturing him having to recite this dialogue

9. cdhaskell says:

I still hope that Fish is still alive and well and will return to the second season. I still hope that Michael Chiklis as Captain Barnes don’t turn out to be a future Gotham villain.

10. alistaircrane says:

So what does this mean for Captain Sarah Essen? Police precincts don’t often have two captains, do they?

• Alex BaldTwins says:

that was my thought too – this show added 5 regulars for the new season (Chalk, Baccarin, D’Agosto, Frain, and Chiklis) I can’t imagine that Essen, Montoya, or the totally useless Crispus Allen will be back as regulars..

Ausiello/team TVline do you guys have any info as to who will not be returning for season 2 in a regular capacity??? (other than Jada I assume)

11. Nick says:

Great actor, would watch him in just about anything, but not Gotham. Sorry, that show is terrible.

12. Jess says:

@ Michael Ausiello
    Sept 25th is a friday, not a monday….so don’t you mean the 21st or the 28th?

13. kirads09 says:

Hmmm. Great actor. But don’t relish the thought of perhaps the tone of the show being changed too drastically by his presence or stealing the spotlight too much from other characters? Willing to give it a chance but not sure if this is a good fit tbh.

• reading says:

Agreed. I already felt that Ben McKenzie/James Gordon was sidelined too much on what was supposed to be a Gordon-driven, character-driven show. Having less focus on the central character and his story and relationships in the larger context is worrisome. I’d want more, and more of Morena as a regular now and Donal at the core, not less. (And what about Captain Essen? Crowding the overcrowded field is never a good move.) That goes on my wish list with vastly improved writing and storylines with or without the excuse of not knowing the number of episodes last year. They should know what works and what doesn’t and what was lacking to introduce, develop and invest in the characters.

14. Stephanie says:

What happened to the actress who played the captain last season?

15. Marci says:

What great casting–love Michael Chiklis and his Vic Mackey character. I’m sure he will be equally awesome in this role.

16. Greg Denton says: