Xena Reboot

Xena Reboot in the Works at NBC: Who Should Play the New Warrior Princess?

Sharpen those chakrams, Xena fans, because the Warrior Princess is poised for a major comeback.

NBC and NBC Universal, along with original Xena executive producers Rob Tapert and Sam Raimi, are looking to revive the action-adventure icon, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The search is currently underway for a writer to pen a “modern reboot” of the series, which ran in syndication from 1995 to 2001.

Though original star Lucy Lawless has yet to attach herself to the project — which is still in the extremely early stages of development — producers reportedly want her involved both behind the scenes and in front of the camera.

xena-gabrielle“I’ve been pitching [a two-hour movie], actually,” Lawless told reporters at San Diego Comic-Con earlier this month. “The fans really do want that, and I’ve met some people who’ve crowdfunded some things, and I’m just like, ‘Why don’t we just do that?’ … It’s still about who owns the rights to Xena. But it would still be cool to do it again with Renée [O’Connor], me, Ted [Raimi] and Bruce. It’d be a fun little gig, but what that is, I don’t really know.”

Along with this news comes a slew of important questions avid Xena fans will need answered: What role could Lawless have on camera, considering her character sacrificed her life in the series finale? Who would play the “new” warrior princess? And what exactly is a “modern reboot,” anyway?

Then again, it might not be worth getting your hopes up. Here’s what Lawless tweeted shortly after this news broke:

For now, drop a comment with your immediate reaction to this news below.

1. Deion says:

*yodel-scream* *Filps about the site* *Throws chakram in a wild pattern, eventually taking out the bad guy I was intending to hit*

2. Lizo says:

Well….if Tapert, Raimin and Lawless are going to be involved, my initial response of ‘oh dear god no’ might have been overzealous. This could be cool.
    As for the question, what if “Xena” gets reincarnated every generation (a la The Slayer) and this new “Xena” is just the next incarnation. Lawless could appear as Xena, but as a spirit guide.

• Andy Swift says:

I do like the idea of a new Xena being born every generation. But the “modern” part of “modern reboot” scares me. Like, is this going to be Xena in 2016?

• JJ says:

Modern reboot scares me too. If it isn’t set in ancient Greece, I’m not interested

• Mad Hobbit says:

they made a pilot for a spinoff series of Xena, where a modern girl(1990s) got time ported back to Greece,and helped the weak females form the Amazons, and taught them how to use a horse for more than food source. the girl was the actress who played the flame girl in hellboy and another one was the actress who went on to farscape and played the peacekeeper. they could do something like that.

• Concerned says:

Soo….Buffy then

• Kade Shearer says:

O_o by “modern reboot” it probably means production level in terms of CGI and stuff, not Xena wandering around in the year 2016 swinging a sword at gun wielders.

• Eddie G says:

The original series already established that Xena, Gabby, and Joxer are reincarnated repeatedly through time. There was a WWII era version as well as a truly modern version of the characters, not to mention that Hercules established within it’s continuity that “Kevin Sorbo” (actor playing Herc) was actually the real Herc in modern time

• Mad Hobbit says:

yes and they even had some genderbending,joxer spirit was ina female body,xena was in a male one ,using a spell they switched bodies(ares did it i think)

3. c says:

I feel there are some things that REALLY shouldn’t be rebooted no matter how good they were, and that’s one of them

• Ian says:

I’m in full agreement. I really wish they wouldnt. Lucy IS the one and only Xena. End of story.
      If theyre going to do this, then it shouldnt be a reboot. It should be a continuation, with a new warrior princess aspiring to Xena’s legend.

• Andrew says:

@ Ian – If they did it that way (a “new” warrior princess), then you’d have people automatically saying it’d get canned because Lawless and/or O’Connor weren’t involved.

4. Mary says:

Hey, it needs to have Renee O’Connor too!

5. Insert Jumanji meme graphic. “What year is this?”

6. DJ Doena says:

Title is clickbait. As your article states, they want her involved, but she hasn’t even weighed in on the subject yet.

7. Dean says:

3 conditions
    1. Original cast is involved in some way there was no Xena without Lucy and Renne.
    2. If it lasts it doesn’t end like the last show with Xena dying brutally leaving Gabrielle alone.
    3. That they’re clear about what Xena and Gabrielle’s ‘relationship’ is from the get go.
    As for who to play I’d suggest the girl who played red riding hood on once but then I remembered every show she joins gets canned.

8. Sara says:

I just….don’t know what to think about this bit of news.

9. Dmac says:

First things first they need to change the epically dismal ending.

10. Mad Hobbit says:

what most likely will happen a very young girl 16-19 will be the direct decendent of Xena, Lucy will show up as a “spirit”, leading her into “embracing” her path. kind of like Chun and Remo Williams,she may “find” Xena’s weapons and use them and a modern leather suit to fight crime,a Black Widow “clone”

11. Allen says:

Problem is xena was so great in part because of how bad the 90s cheese was. How do you recreate that on purpose? You really cant.

• Patrick says:

Also, it was two very attractive women scantily clad. With a lesbian undertone. In the late 90s the internet existed, but it was less “titillating” than the current iteration of the webs. It will siphon off a lot of casual viewers.
      Ironically, Caitriona Balfe (Outlander) would be a great fit.

12. ninamags says:

Are they gonna cast someone that could be knocked over with a feather for this as well?
    Yes, I’m looking at that girl that will be playing the new WW.

This reboot could be good, though.

13. Please have Lucy Lawless and Renee O’Connor in their original roles!

14. Erica says:

Why are you rebooting everything NBC! Get some original ideas.

Although I’ll probably watch it, still!

• msbellalugosi says:

Well as long as people keep watching, they will keep making them. No matter how much they complain online.

15. enough with the friggin reboots. The X Files, Full House, Twin Peaks, Heroes, Prision Break and more. JUST STOP

• Mad Hobbit says:

it gets worse,they are making a “Urban Cowboy” series based on the original movie.

• Nitemar says:

I don’t know about you, but I’m really excited about The X-Files reboot, and am not alone by a mile!

• J.B. says:

Except Twin Peaks I wouldn’t call the ones you mentioned true reboots. Not up to speed with T.P. but the others are continuations of the original shows. A reboot is like Spiderman, Batman, Superman, Beauty and the Beast, Battlestar Galactica, Dragnet, Hawaii 5-0, heck even The Powerpuff Girls are being rebooted. They have the “spirit” of the original but are vastly different and rarely have the original actors, etc play the same roles.

• WayneAdneyC says:

Your take on cartoon reboots is well-poised to be liberally mentioned with outrage. Remember the animation, the non-gender-conforming (written for both girl and boy viewers)? Take on cartoons like, obviously the original 80’s version of My Little Pony. Yes, it was a little bit girly and even with the ponies but it was also a bit boyish in some of the fantasy landscapes and with the male characters. The new reboots keep downsizing the detail in animation and mono-toning with the genders (feminine for My Little Pony latest incarnation). They need to stop with the cash-grab reboots of cartoons that gender-tend to boy or girl. You know Spongebob is for both and although it is purposely a bit more adult in some jokes than when it first aired many years ago (not to mention how he is portrayed in the featured film.) I’m saying that’s a prob for “modernized” kids too.

16. Brenna says:

We need Joxer to be there!! I mean, he’s got a pretty epic theme song of his own :)

Joxer the Mighty
    roams through the countryside,
    he never needs a place to hide.
    With Gabby as his sidekick,
    fighting with her little stick.
    Righting wrongs and singing songs.
    Being mighty all day long.
    He’s Joxer! He’s Joxer the Mighty!
    Oh, he’s Joxer the Mighty,
    he’s really tidy.
    Everybody likes him
    ’cause he has a funny grin.
    Joxer! He’s Joxer the Mighty!

17. A. D. says:

Eliza Dusku!

18. Riana says:

Will there be actual lesbian content unlike with the original?

19. pagodarose says:

Phoebe Tonkin as the new Xena. She’d be great!

20. baz says:

Ronda Rosey!!! doubt she would be available though

21. ToyCannon says:

Rachel Bilson should play the new Xena.

22. Dude says:

No. Just no. Noooo.

23. ARI says:

Can they stop rebooting legendary classics so they DON’T modernly ruin the show????????????????????

24. Song4Ten says:

There’s only one Xena. And it should stay that way.

25. robandco says:

I don’t want them to reboot this.
    But should they do this, please do not ruin the lesbian not-so-subtle subtext. And also –> DIVERSITY.

26. Cate53 says:

Mixed feelings about this. To me Lucy Lawless will always be Xena and Renee O’Connor is Gabrielle. However a reboot would need younger actors on board and I’m not sure who is up to filling Lucy’s boots. Maybe Adrienne Palicki has the attitude and physical presence.

27. Jimmy says:

Normally, I hate reboots, but I could get behind this if it’s done right.

28. JC1 says:

Well if Blindspot doesn’t work out for Jaimie Alexander, she’d be perfect for this. From warrior of Asgard to Warrior Princess! Think of the crossover possibilities! ;)
    That’s not saying I’m not highly skeptical of the idea of a “modern reboot.”

29. Sol says:

There are a bunch of Xena fan fiction writers would could knock this out of the park. Too bad they probably won’t go there.

30. Mr Wiggly says:

i think Cote de Pablo would make a great Xena

31. Tom says:

I don’t exactly like the sound of this…..

32. alex says:

I loved xena, great if it gets a reboot, wouldn’t get too excited just yet though, I imagine it’s far from a done deal.

33. fred albrecht says:

I’d suggest either Lucy Lawless return as Xena or get Cote De Pablo to be Xena with having flashbacks weekly of Lucy Lawless training her to become Xena Warrior Princess

34. I’d have Lucy Lawless be Xena again or get Cote De Pablo to become Xena Warrior Princess.And if someone other than Lawless were to be Xena then I’d have weekly flashbacks of her training Xena

35. The Watcher says:

As soon as they mentioned wanting to include Lucy, Renee, Ted, & Bruce I was sold on the effort. If they decide to include Robert Trebor and Alexandra Tydings as well… so much the better.

• Noa says:

Why Robert Trebor? His character was an antisemitic caricature and actually quite offensive.

• The Watcher says:

Why not Robert Trebor? He’s an actor and therefore able to play any role, not just the one you mentioned. Besides I really don’t expect any Reboot to include the same actors in the same rolls save perhaps Xena & Gabrielle.

36. wetagent says:

according to her twitter Lucy says it rumors
    @RealLucyLawless

37. I’m… sort of on the fence about this.

I love Ted Raimi, don’t get me wrong. I just liked him better in the 90s, like his seaQuest days and of course Joxer. (And yes…I was obsessed with him as Tim O’Neill… who doesn’t love a linguist?)

But it would be cool if we could get a reboot with Lucy, Renee and Ted.

And now that I mentioned seaQuest… bob help us if they do a reboot of it. That will be very hard. Roy Scheider is dead, Jonathan Brandis is dead… Dom DeLuise is dead. The dude who played Crocker is dead. We’d be stuck with Michael Ironside… *Shudders*

38. Michael says:

Bridget Regan

39. Jared says:

LMAO..NBC is a mess..

40. Agent 86 says:

I’m hoping that “modern” just means a modern sensibility, although I guess the “new” Xena could theoretically be the original Xena’s reincarnated spirit in modern (or future) times since they established that Xena would be reincarnated over and over again.

But, if it’s essentially just going to be Uber-Xena, then it doesn’t really seem necessary to even call it Xena: Warrior Princess.

I would prefer to see a reboot set in the same crazy “historical / mythological” time and place of the original series, with Lucy Lawless and Renee O’Connor reprising their roles as older and wiser versions of Xena and Gabrielle. Xena could then pass down the title of “Warrior Princess” to the new, younger heroine who will be the primary lead of the ongoing series. But, it should remain open for Xena and Gabrielle to reappear in the series from time to time!

Whatever happens, I want to see Xena and Gabrielle BATTLE ON!

41. Laziel says:

There are so many ways this could go wrong if it progresses… So. Many. Ways. But I can’t help but be excited.

42. m3rcnate says:

Wow so have they officially announced that they admit their failure rate of original idea pilots is so high that they are rebooting everything property they own that was once a success? The lack of original creativity on TV is astounding. Almost every successful show is based off a book, a graphic novel, or is a reboot of a successful show from the past.

I was never a Xena watcher so I have no clue how good it was or could be now, but guys/gals…..its on NBC. What are the odds NBC makes a high quality, really well written show with grounded well written characters? A Xena reboot on SyFy I would have more faith in. Notice how on NBC there is no “Mr. Robot” or “Vikings” or “Sons of Anarchy” or “Walking Dead” or “Fringe” or “BSG” or anything that is well written? Well shot (not overly saturated) with great sets?
    TL:DR; NBC blows, will most likely suck.

43. Mary Jane Cancelli says:

We need Lucy as Xena!! I am so thrilled!! The best news ever! I am a major fan!

44. NBC never seems to me how pathetic they are. if you’re going to reboot anything bring back Law & Order. Sam Waterston is ready to do it, and he’s the most important part. They could bring back Benjamin Bratt, the woman who played Jamie Ross, bring over Danny Pino from SVU, and the rest will fall into place. I’m not saying bringing back Xena is a bad idea, but the big part of Xena was her “supposed relationship” with Gabrielle, and there will absolutely no hint of that if the show comes back. This is NBC folks.

• Kyckastra says:

I agree. My first thought was, if this has any chance of working, it needs to be on another network besides NBC (or any of the major networks.) HBO or Showtime could take the lesbian aspect and really run with it; not to mention the fight scenes. Or maybe AMC, SyFy or FX, or hell, even the CW would be better than NBC.

45. SL says:

Not sure how I feel as I think Lucy and Renee did an excellent job in their roles and hard to see others fill them as adequately. I guess I will see where things lead before deciding fully one way or another.

46. Mary E Rogers says:

I would love to see Lucy lawless and Renee O’Conner revise there role for the reboot finish their story then pass the torch to two other actress …they go into the sunset together.

47. Noa says:

I’m the biggest Xena fan, and I actually dread this. Here’s why:
    1. No Xena without both Lucy and Renee.
    2. Xena sacrificed herself, Gabrielle is the new warrior princess, as is VERY clear from the finale.
    3. NBC might de-queer the show. The best thing about the original was the relaysh between the two women.

• Mad Hobbit says:

like i said in another post ,they might gender change gabby like they did watson

• DJM says:

Gabrielle could could ‘ pass the torch to the next warrior princess and they could both make appearances as spirit guides for the next warriors.
      I think the storyline and the dynamics between Xena and Gabrielle are what made the show such a success. It is understandable and enjoyable for all ages and actually yeaches some great morals and I think that is something that is left out of telivision and storytelling in general today.

If its done right, I think it will be a great success and I think it can only be done right with yhe people and producers who know the story and the charactors.

48. JB says:

NBC…so it has to be Amy Pohler or Tina Fey.

49. Fernanda says:

Gina Carano

50. Arlene Goodman Wadro says:

Way to go. Can’t wait for this to happen.