Supernatural Emily Swallow

Supernatural Season 11: The Mentalist's Emily Swallow Joins Cast as 'Sinister' and 'Seductive' Femme Fatale

Well, look what the Darkness dragged in.

Supernatural has tapped The Mentalist’s Emily Swallow to join the Season 11 cast in a significant (and malevolent) recurring role, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Swallow — whose pre-Mentalist credits include arcs on Ringer and Southland — will play Amara, a femme fatale who is both seductive and sinister (when need be). It’s not clear when exactly Amara will be introduced, or what connection (if any) she may have to the just-released Darkness.

At Comic-Con earlier this month, the Supernatural cast and producers revealed that Season 11 (bowing Oct. 7 on The CW) will find Sam and Dean getting back to their roots. “[We’re] going back to the original format of having both brothers unaffected, meaning not drinking demon blood, not with the Mark of Cain on their arm,” he said. “[It’s] just Sam and Dean as Sam and Dean, fighting a common target.”

Added EP Jeremy Carver: “This year, we are going to have a little bit more of an epic feel with a Big Bad and a real quest for the brothers to unite.”

Thoughts on Swallow’s casting? Do you think she’s the Big Bad that Carver alluded to at SDCC? Hit the comments!

1. Jill says:

Wow, no tropes in that character description, none at all.

I think I just rolled my eyes so hard I saw the inside of my skull.

2. Mike says:

So they’re introducing a female character and making her evil. I will work to contain my vast amounts of shock.

• Drew says:

When they introduce female characters that are good guys, the fangirls start screaming for their deaths before they even shoot an episode.
      Supernatural is damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

• Mike says:

Yup, you’re absolutely right. Hence why every female character in the series must either be murdered horribly, be revealed as totally evil, or both.

• SyFyGuy says:

That’s one of the reasons why Supernatural fandom is one of the worst fandoms out there. Too many jerks…or jerky comments at the least.

• Dakota45 says:

No the SPN fandom is one of the best. The tiny minority that is the online fandom can be the worst. No one of any importance pays them much mind. Thank goodness.

• Jamie says:

I don’t think our “fandom” is horrible at all! I’ve enjoyed the female characters–Anna Milton, Ellen and Jo Harvelle, Jody Mills, Donna Hanscum, and Charlie Bradbury have been some of my favorite characters and they are all good–not evil. I was really rooting for a relationship arc between Dean and Jo, but it didn’t happen. Our conventions are awesome, too, with a lot of the fans dressing up as the female characters.

• Drew says:

Unfortunately, the screaming fangirls have had an impact on the show. Because of them, Jo and Ellen didn’t last. Because of them, Dean left Lisa and Ben… People may not have loved them, but at least it was forward progression. Neither Sam nor Dean are allowed to move forward in life because of the fangirls. I for one would be interested in seeing one of them with a family. What would they do differently, knowing how things went with John?

• Mika says:

@Drew – I seriously don’t think either brother ever would or COULD have a family, though. One, way too dangerous for anyone who might come after them. The guys know the risk and won’t take them, imho. Two, they seem to be okay with that. They’ve got their little family (them, Cas, formerly Charlie) and I can’t see either of them settling down.

• Drew says:

Mika, that isn’t exactly true though. For many years, Dean’s arc was building toward his desire to have a home and a family. The problem is that when they moved the plot in that direction, the fangirls screamed and started being rude to Cindy Sampson at conventions, so just like Jo, the writers did away with her… And in a very poorly conceived fashion. They should have kept her. They should have made it work. And they should have explored this aspect of Supernatural’s family theme. Instead, the brothers really aren’t allowed to change or grow, because the fangirls will not allow it.
            Ideally, one of them would settle down with someone with a personality like Jo, Ellen or Pamela, who could handle that life and be a partner in it. The writers should go there and commit to it.

• vic says:

That’s just about every character though. You can go tit for tat on recurring male/female character deaths.

• Josh says:

Still hate that they killed Ellen Jo and Charlie

• Jamie says:

I totally agree. I wish the writers would introduce a kick ass female character that has some romantic chemistry with either Sam or Dean–it would be a nice side story!

• ninamags says:

Okay, I’ll be the one: NO romantic entanglements for the guys!! Romance on Supernatural NEVER works out. It’s not that kind of show as someone else already pointed out.

Where would they keep a girlfriend? In the Impala? Somewhere far away where she is only seen every so often? What would be the point?

• Alyndra says:

Only if they’re aiming for ‘love interest.’ That’s been done to death on TV, come up with something new please.

Anyway, they’re gonna kill ’em all no matter what, so why shouldn’t we try not to get too attached?

• Lee says:

Yes, the female fans of Supernatural hate Supernatural’s female heroes and want them all killed off immediately. That’s why the entirety of Hall H started booing Jeremy Carver when he had no answer for why he killed off Charlie, so much so that the cast cowered in fear. Because we bitchy fangirls are so anti-woman.

• Drew says:

The fangirls only hate the women who pose a threat to the possibility of a fangirl marrying a Winchester. Charlie was a lesbian, so the fangirls loved her. Unfortunately, she was a horrible, annoying character. I am glad that she won’t be back. She was far from one of the great female characters of the series.

• vic says:

Those same fangirls also threw conniption fits over 5 minute preview video when they thought Hannah was going to romantic with Cas. Decreeing that show always reduces females to love interests, and low and behold they did that themselves and were proven completely wrong.

• Jane says:

Right, all female Supernatural fans, are the same right, we all hate the female characters, want them dead and never won’t the guys to hook up with any one. So not true. I’ve liked pretty much all of the female characters, the major exception being Rowena who I do hate and want dead.

• Mika says:

Lee, most of the female fans I know would LOVE to see more strong, non-love interest female characters. Don’t generalize.

3. cc says:

Bela Talbot

4. Dana Conrad says:

Amara… The Darkness… Big Bad…. aren’t these ALL from Buffy?

5. Stephanie says:

Jared and jensen will always be gawjus and greatJensen actors and supernatural will always be the best thing on tv so if u don’t like the programme then don’t comment !!

6. julia says:

Not her again…she was terrible in The Mentalist, I’m glad she did not return for the final season…

• Pattie says:

Thank you! That’s exactly what I was thinking. I’m fine with them casting this character, but with this actress? I’m not a fan of hers. Maybe I’ll like her more on Supernatural than I did on The Mentalist. We’ll see.

7. Barkdull says:

Getting things straightened out between brothers is due. Emily will make a fine whatever,hope it doesn’t get to crazy. Oh, why not,!

8. Arthur says:

Hey, as long as she’s not a love interest, bring it on! I’m intrigued.

9. Mia says:

Frankly, I’m just glad she’s in her 30s. But yeah, hopefully not a love interest – it’s not that kind of show, and it’s a lot more interesting without it.

10. Sounds like another Eve to me TBH ive not got much faith in Carver or his hack writers any more they have wasted so much potenial over the past 3 seasons Purgatory human Cas Demon Dean are good examples , season 11 will really have to crank it up a good notch for me to want to watch

• Patrick says:

I came to the show recently, and have only just caught up via reruns. I feel that a lot of the fandom’s complaints about squandered opportunities via characters and plot lines. I really feel that most of that is due to practical reasons, namely budget constraints. The show stays on the air because it is relatively cheap to produce. The main stars probably do OK, but the small size of the regular case keeps those costs down. Thus, the producers need to economize in other areas. Which they do, even at the cost of some residual quality of storytelling. You can have a pretty decent SPN, or a great one that was canceled 3-9 years ago. I’ll take the decent version we have now.

• Heidi Kasun says:

That’s a great analysis, Patrick. I see that all the time. Note, for instance, the empty backgrounds – the empty streets behind all the action. This saves money.
        Another example – the special effects are kept to 1 or 2 an episode. keeps the costs down.
        1 non-original song per episode. Keeps royalty costs down.

The show is not driven by artistic lighting or even (sorry) expensive writers. It’s driven by :
        – the chemistry of the 2 guys
        – a really powerful original concept and long lasting storyline
        – give them credit – some kick ass sets
        – occasionally, some really great guest stars
        – and (give them credit) some original and creative plotlines

11. penny mercer and olene Lockwood says:

We will be watching for you emily

12. penny mercer and olene Lockwood says:

Emily, aunt olene and I will be watching for you!

13. Raz says:

Would just like to see a bit more Destiel, with out all the screaming of queer bating. I’m gay and it didn’t bother me.

• Mika says:

I would give anything for more Dean and Cas interaction – hopefully that’s coming in the new season. I really love their interactions.. one of my favorite parts of the show.

14. dan spearman says:

She was great in The Mentalist.. so I’m glad to see her in another series!!! good choice.

15. michelle says:

I love the show just as it is supposed to be Sam Dean Cas Crowley and mom..why change a perfect thing

16. Christa says:

I am female and have been a fan of the show since the beginning. The simple idea of a show about ghosts and the supernatural will pull me in each time. I love the boys. Of course I do. But I am NOT in the group of female fans that object to women characters. I have ones that I liked and others that I disliked. Lisa, (with Ben, of course) for Dean. And as evil as she was, I liked Ruby. Both of them.

Bring on the women for the boys! I’m intrigued. Just write her well.

17. ch1huahua says:

I wish it is fighting lesser demons, like old folk lore from the earlier seasons, with a Supernatural twist. Leading up to a big bad. Id like that.
    The old school method is best. Real actors as real demons makes good stories great.

18. orchardist says:

She IS “The Darkness”. Dabb (writer) let slip in the SDCC roundtable interviews that The Darkness will be personified as a “her”.

And of COURSE she’s a sultry brunette. She’s totally Dean’s type. He held back The Darkness (unwittingly) with the Mark on his arm for over a year. I suspect she knows all his inner thoughts and little secrets.

I don’t expect her to be a love interest because neither boy is that stupid.

19. Missy says:

I don’t remember this actress, but I watched Ringer and Southland, so I know she’s good quality.

New female character on SPN… can’t get attached, she’ll be dead before long.

20. Seriously we could ban phrases like “Fangirl” and “fanboy”

It doesn’t really matter does it? I’m assuming S11 will probably be the last.

21. WayneAdneyC says:

Vague, very vague. I don’t want to know. I want to be shocked! Besides, most femmes are fatals on this show anyhow. Even the good girl tend to have “I can do bad all by myself in one episode.” LOL

22. Jamie Leigh Sturdevant says:

Please bring back Jeffrey Dean Morgan for ANYTHING! RATINGS WILL SOAR!

23. Susan Roberts says:

I love Emily Swallow! It would be great to have her as a series regular. Any show she is on will benefit from her talent!

24. Sharon Arnold says:

I don’t really know who the new lady is on Supernatural, but I am glad they are getting back to basics.

25. Dawn says:

It’s so nice to hear about my FAVORITE SHOW ” SUPERNATURAL!!!! SO GLAD DAD IS COMING BACK. LOVE HIM! And what a HUNKY,THREESOME!!!!!!! CANNOT WAIT TO SEE SEASON 11,,And I adore each of their acting abilities! I would give anything to meet them!!!!l I LIVE IN VEGAS, N NRVER GOT TO GO TK ONE OF THEIR APPEAANCES HERE!!

26. Linda says:

Possibly. Or a minion of…

27. Personally I think the show is great just the way it is going- the boys are united and they willbe fighting something (darkness) together- Love interests for one or two episodes is OK- but the premise of the show is the compatability of the guys- the brother hood – and the family business- Love interest tend to put a gap in the progress- sometimes the “off-the cuff” love episode fills in life story need- But I think the longevity of the series is by NotFu—- up the story line- The guys are focused and buddies- the depend on each other and not a feminine love interest to get the job done with the least amount (or sometimes the most) of cruelty and gore=- I personally love this show and have for 10+ years and hope to go one loving it for another 10 years

28. Couldn’t they find an actress with more presence? This actress looks plain and the actress who played Abaddon seems to have more “chutzpah”.

29. blixt says:

Could we get a good female character who lasts? When I saw “good”, I meant both in personality and allegiance. Enough Charlie Bradbury cases. This woman doesn’t look like someone I’d want to stick around, but it would be so nice to see a heroine last.

30. The actress looks too “seasoned” and too mature to cast a real dark and sinister presence. After watching the episode, she looked like she should be baking cookies.

31. Amie says:

I think she was good and spn is still a awesome show