Supergirl Cast Lucy Lane

Supergirl to Introduce Lucy Lane AKA Jimmy Olsen's Ex... AKA Superwoman?

Is Supergirl heading for a super love triangle, or something far more problematic?

TVLine has learned that the third episode of CBS’ freshman superhero series will introduce the recurring character of Lucy Lane. In her mid-20s to early 30s, Lucy is described as as brash, funny and beautiful as her sister Lois, yet strong, smart and successful in her own right.

She will also be, in keeping with DC Comics lore, an ex-girlfriend of Kara’s (Melissa Benoist) new CatCo media conglom colleague, Daily News transplant Jimmy Olsen (played by Mehcad Brooks).

At the very least, given Supegirl Lucy LaneKara’s insta-crush on Jimmy in the series pilot, some semblance of a triangle may be in Supergirl’s future. Or, possibly more is on tap, given that Lucy Lane is one of several DC Comics characters to have adopted the Superwoman mantle, manipulated as she was into a run of anti-Supergirl villainy by her father General Sam Lane.

Lucy was most recently portrayed on TV on The CW’s Smallville, by Peyton List (now The Flash‘s Lisa Snart). Who should play her on Supergirl?

CBS’ Supergirl takes flight Monday, Oct. 26 at 8:30/7:30c, before moving into its regular Mondays-at-8 time slot.

1. Bring back Peyton List, she’s amazing!!

2. LK says:

I doubt they’d do the Superwoman thing.. that was a very convoluted storyline in the comics.

3. Ian says:

It’ll be interesting, the differences between this show and The Flash when it comes to Jimmy and Iris…

4. jay says:

yay hopefully that means her big sis Lois will show up soon! I’m sure jimmy and Lois have met in the past.

5. m3rcnate says:

Lois Lane…Lana Lang….Lucy Lane? Yikes, someone needs to diversify the comic book naming.
    Idk how i feel about Superwoman showing up on a Supergirl show, especially when its not a Kyrptonian but a human (a Lane) who happens to be exes with Jimmy Olsen?
    I like couplings more than most, but this show needs to establish itself really well in season 1 before going down the network TV list of tropes that writers seem forced to write into their shows (that or network TV writers are sub-par in the talent department). That includes love triangles and bringing in exes and all that. The Flash found the balance really well, in Season 1 they took a lot of time establishing all the characters and Barry’s feelings for Iris but they didn’t get into anything deeper than that in the relationship department until late in the first season.

• Jim says:

It gets even worse. I had a giant sized comic book a looong time ago & it was superman & the legion of super heroes. The gist was that superman was going to die & a female with the initials LL would save him in addition to those, there were lightning lass, lori lemaurus, but it turned out to be a little leaguer,

• Tatharnio says:

Whoa, whoa, whoa there! Nobody is saying that she WILL be Superwoman and Jimmy’s ex. Those are merely parts that Lucy Lane has been in the comics. All we KNOW is that they’ve cast Lucy Lane. Not Superwoman OR Jimmy’s Ex. Jimmy has also been Elastic Lad, Mr. Action, and Turtle Boy, but that doesnt’ necessarily mean he’ll be any of those on Supergirl.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I am sorry if this was not clear — Lucy is most definitely Jimmy’s ex on SUPERGIRL. That much is certain.

• lrdslvrhnd says:

in the “Spider-Man” novelization, J. Jonah Jameson is complaining to Peter Parker and Robbie Robertson about the Green Goblin’s alliteration, and then Betty Brant sticks her head into his office to tell him that Drs. Bruce Banner and Reed Richards are on the line. Pretty sure they worked in a couple of others, but that cracked me up.

6. ladyluck527 says:

I hope that they cast color blind. I’d suggest Kylie Bunbury.

• m3rcnate says:

So….you expect a “Lane” to be anything but white? I’m not saying its impossible or wrong, but that means General Lane and Lois Lane would be non-white too. Jimmy is very easy to cast color blind because he has no family or anything that connects him to any color/race.
      Color blind is good, because it means they are just getting the actor/actress that they love most for the part and seems to be the best fit, but i find it interesting when people demand color blind casting or more diversity they instantly go to wanting black actors/actresses. Personally as a white guy i’d love to see more Asians on TV. I think they represented on TV even less than blacks.

• lrdslvrhnd says:

You *know* if they did that, there’d be people complaining about “of course the black man and black woman dated! Can’t have a mixed-race couple!”

…This is pretty much an issue that they couldn’t win no matter what they do 8-}

• I see way more people complaining about the fact that Jimmy Olsen(who they hate is now a bulky black guy and not a red head nerdy white guy) is going to be dating Kara than I can imagine. People are actually asking why they are being force feed PC interracial pairings of the same old thing (BM/WW). I guarantee you that their will be more anger about Kara and Jimmy’s race than a black WonderWoman…..

7. Mr. Tran K says:

What if they cast former GH actress Julie Marie Berman as Lucy Lane?

8. So, Lucy is Jimmy’s super ex-girlfriend? lol Ironic that not even DC acknowledges this Superwoman in their canon, lol.

• Davey Elmer says:

We don’t know if she will be – or has been – Superwoman on the show, but she’s definitely Jimmy’s ex.

Personally, I think it’s far more likely than not that they’ll explore her Superwoman story arc at some point if the series is a success, and would really like to see Laura Vandervoort in the role (depending on how recurrent it’s intended to be given that she is the lead in SyFy’s Bitten).

• Eli says:

It happened right before Flashpoint which led to the creation of a new universe. It is cannon for the old universe which has not been the focus of DC universe comics since 2011.

9. Tiffany says:

Elizabeth Lail

10. Matty Si. says:

I’m thinking Annalynne McCord. She needs to be back on the CW and since Dallas got cancelled she may be looking for work.

BTW, dark brunette Annalynne, not blonde.

11. lame says:

CBS operates on a different set of guidelines than the CW. The latter is more free flowing.

12. Layan says:

I hope it goes to Elizabeth Lail ….

13. Kristina says:

I can’t say I’ve been very excited about this show, I’ve had a very “meh” attitude every time I see something about it. But wow, if this cast is any indication, Supergirl is gonna be fantastic. I will definitely be tuning in. Thanks so much for posting the video, the show has definitely gained a fan!

14. Dr, Opossum says:

It is kind of weird to see such a hot Jimmy Olsen. I have no problem with him being black, but I wish they had gone with an actor who looked a bit nerdier.

15. Eli says:

Lucy Lane being Superwoman lasted all but five seconds compared to her long history in the Super-family comics and is not her legacy at all.

16. Ro says:

I’m not into the Marvel/DC Comics trend. I did like Mehcad Brooks in Necessary Roughness. That was a good show.

17. spindae2 says:

My guesses/wishes for the role Shanae Grimes or Stephanie Bennett

18. JimC says:

Peyton List is about the right age but I’d like to see Erica Durance in the part although she’s like in her middle 30’s….I’ll bet she doesn’t look it though.

19. I have to disagree with the assessment in this article. I have seen the pilot and there is NO crush on Jimmy by Kara. If anything she is impressed by his skills in the newspaper world. And as he says in the pilot, it’s not Jimmy anymore, it’s James. She also sees Jimmy as a person that she can talk to about her cousin Clark (superman) as Jimmy knows the secret of both. Actually, Clark sent Jimmy there to watch out for Kara. Good twist on Kara’s half sister from her adopted family that sets up the series plot. Not to mention a certain real Aunt that looks exactly like her mother but wants Kara dead. That will bring up some drama down the line. It seems that this show will follow more in line with the new Superman movies and not the show Smallville.

20. Joe says:

Which is more the home of hacks, comics or the writing staffs at networks who adapt comics?
    The propaganda has become so heavy that lots of the product is unwatchable.
    Jimmy Olsen is a redhead with freckles.
    What happened to Calista Flockheart’s forehead?
    I watch Gotham instead.