UnReal Season 1 Spoilers

UnREAL's Freddie Stroma on Adam's Season 2 Fate, His Feelings for Rachel

UnREAL fans, we have some troubling news about bachelor Adam’s future on the Lifetime series (airing Mondays at 10/9c).

Given that the freshman season ends (Aug. 3) with one lucky lady claiming the Brit’s heart on the show-within-a-show Everlasting, we couldn’t help but wonder if Adam will even be a part of the recently announced Season 2.

We don’t know. It’s unlikely,” his portrayer Freddie Stroma admitted to TVLine this week, noting the UnREAL producers still have to figure what they want do for the next edition of the dating competition series. “They could do a thing with a male suitor, they could do one with a female suitor, the dating reality show could go into something else…. They kind of can do absolutely anything they want.”

That said, “It’s unlikely that Adam will be back, because he’s already done a reality show,” the actor explains. “They’ll do a new show within the show.”

So will Adam’s story have a sense of conclusion at the end of this year’s run? “Um, yes,” Stroma hedges. “I can’t really give too much away. There’s a possibility of it ending on a high, or a low.”

But before you get too dismayed, Stroma offers up a bit of hope for Adam’s return in the Q&A below, as well as previews what last week’s spooning scene means for his future with Rachel.

TVLINE | We have to start with that unexpected moment of vulnerability and comfort at the end of the latest episode. What do Rachel and Adam want to give and take from each other in that scene?
There’s a sense of friendship, understanding each other – not on a sexual level. It’s just being there for someone. It’s something that they’ve done really well within the show, and I’ve really liked that dynamic between the two characters. We had that episode where she comes into the shower and they’re essentially both naked, but they haven’t done anything or looked at each other. It’s a fun bit of tension.

TVLINE | I feel like Adam “gets” her more than Jeremy does.
Yeah, I’d say so. Jeremy sees the way that Rachel behaves, and he has that history with her. But with Adam, he understands more her behavior and he doesn’t judge her because he, essentially, is the same. There’s comfort in that.

UnREAL Season 2 SpoilersTVLINE | Does that moment at the end represent a turning point for them?
I think so. You constantly have these moments where Adam and Rachel are trying to play each other…. He really called her out on what happened with Mary (played by Ashley Scott), and once he realizes that she’s been doing whatever she could to help Mary and that she wasn’t necessarily involved directly with it — it was more the show and someone else that he didn’t know about — that’s where he realized he wanted to apologize and tell her that she’s not a monster, and let her know that it’s OK.

TVLINE | Does it complicate his feelings for her? Is he having trouble separating what’s real and what’s artifice thanks to the show?
Yeah. There’s so much manipulation involved in the show and he sees it. He knows that it’s being done to him, so he’s constantly guessing what it is she’s doing and what it is she wants. They’re both getting sucked into each other a little bit, and they’re still a bit guarded. They’re trying to figure out if something is a ploy for something. But they’re both starting to ever-so-slightly let their guards down.

TVLINE | Clearly, Adam’s attracted to Rachel. He enjoys flirting with her. But does he have genuine feelings for her?
One of the things that he likes about her is the fact that he’s never been talked to the way she talks to him. He comes from a very wealthy background and people speak to him in a certain way and he kind of gets what he wants. When he meets Rachel, straight away from the first episode, she doesn’t give him what he wants. There’s a game in that. He finds it really attractive, and I think [it’s] slowly starting to turn into feelings rather than just a fun game, if you will.

TVLINE | The show has such a cynical, dark take on relationships. Could Adam actually find real love on Everlasting, be it in front of the camera or behind the scenes? Or does the show’s tone and point of view make that unlikely?
I think it would be unlikely, but someone told me that these reality shows put a new perspective on it. They could get 20 people who could be eligible for marriage. A lot of people in this world might never actually meet 20 people who are in that eligibility. So there is a possibility to find love in these kind of shows. It’s just done the wrong way, in that it’s very manipulated and bizarre. It’s also, for me, highly unattractive for people to be fighting over a person.

TVLINE | Adam called Rachel out on her actions last week. Is this the beginning of his conscience coming out more? Or is he back to his old ways?
He’s a funny one because he is pretty naughty. What’s great about the show is it’s not so black-and-white. You don’t have good guys and bad guys. You’ve got some in between, and everyone has their moments. Adam has his down moments, but now you start to see him actually having a conscience. He sees what happened with Mary and that it’s not right. You see that he protected Faith, by embarrassing himself with his made-up sex tape. He protected Mary from her ex. So you see these sides of Adam that are actually quite good. And then of course, they love to show you lots of shades of gray.

TVLINE | Speaking of shades of gray: In that scene where you were having sex with the investor’s wife and Chet was watching, my eyes might have bugged out of my head a bit.
Yeah, it was a huge talking point when we were doing it because it was really pushing it. Luckily, Lifetime has been awesome, and they’ve told us we can go for what we want to go for. They’ve been so supportive. When I read that episode, sitting in my trailer, I just aloud was like, “Whaaat?!” I couldn’t believe it. I was like, “That is horrible!” I had to warn my friends and family about that episode.

TVLINE | Was there any nervousness on Lifetime’s part about that scene?
There was some nervousness because it’s pushing it a bit, and they have a pretty clean brand. It was definitely a step, but in the end, they were really cool with it. I think as soon as they saw the footage, they thought it looked great. It was what the episode needed, so they were happy to go forward with it.

TVLINE | I imagine shooting that was not the easiest thing in the world, either.
No. Luckily, it was fine. It was done very quickly and respectfully. We had a closed set, and all the actors involved were great. It could have been a lot worse.

TVLINE | Adam is a contestant within Everlasting, but he’s also a character within the show. So, could he be a character on UnREAL and not be a contestant on Everlasting?
There’s a possibility of that; it all depends on where they go with it. It’s the fun part of acting in this role because you get to kind of play two characters. You get to play Adam, who can be all sleazy and manipulative, but then you get to play Adam on Everlasting, where he’s acting all nice to everyone when he knows the cameras are on and he plays to it, which is really fun to play.

1. ZabbyB says:

Reblogged this on We Date Nerds and commented:
    If you missed my post on UnReal, then stop reading here, go to LifetimeTV.com and watch all 7 episodes IMMEDIATELY!

If you are like me addicted to this dark and twisted (comedy/drama?) then read below for some scoop about the fate of this season’s bachelor.

2. Margie says:

How many episodes will there be in Season 1 and in Season 2?

3. Bwhit says:

I think they should seriously consider keeping Adam as a character next year. I just can’t get invested in Jeremy because in my opinion he just uses Rachel but Adam actually cares about her. There have been plenty of shows where a character is only supposed to be in one season but were there longer. The one that springs to mind is Aaron Paul on Breaking Bad (totally different genre and show but Vince Gilligan said he was going to die at the end of season one but they kept him…. So glad they did)

• Tori says:

Right! Agree

• I totaly agree ! They should bring back Adam, not only because of Rachel (Even if I love them together) but mostly because i truly think they didn’t explore every shades that the character have !

I hope, fingers crossed and all, that he will be back next season and that Rachel will see that Quinn is really the one that brings her down (that’s what i think !)

4. Sabrina says:

Great interview. I hope that the producers decide to keep Adam as a character in the 2nd season.

5. Paria says:

It would be a HUGE mistake if they let the Adam character go. There is much more of a connection with Adam/Rachel than with the Jeremy character….who I can’t stand.

• Scarlet says:

Totally agree. If they’re going to let either one of Rachel’s love interests go, it should be Jeremy. What exactly is his purpose story-wise other than to act like a grumpy, judgmental prick?

• Gloria says:

I totally agree Adam should stay could bring alot of positive sides of the show asin something good can come out of that pretendancy and acting. All in all am crossing my fingers hoping Adam stays and win Rachel again.

6. Wordsmith says:

He could still be involved if they shoot next season’s show-within-the-show at his Everlasting-branded winery…

7. nate says:

They should do a female version next season

8. Charissa29 says:

Adam is more complex and interesting than Jeremy, but to be fair, we have spent more time with Adam. But, yes, keep Adam as he is a delightful presence on the show.

9. James says:

Freddy Stroma is dreamy. Is he really from this world?

• ChrisGa says:

LOL, he really is very dreamy; beautiful guy. Hope they find a way to keep Adam around; he’s far more interesting than Jeremy(love Josh Kelly but not feeling the character).

10. Amanda says:

I hope they decide to bring Adam back for the second season. I love the relationship & sexual tension between he & Rachel. Shiri & Freddie have great chemistry. I’m just not feeling the Jeremy character or have must interest in the Rachel/Jeremy relationship.

11. Adam says:

I hope Adam comes back for season 2 I love the development of the relationship between Rachel and him.

12. tallsy says:

Shaking and crying.

But seriously, the last answer leads me to believe that Royal Love will fall through, but the winery will be in Season 2. His talk about him being unlikely to back are in the Everlasting show rather than unREAL. Then he switches to open possibilities. But maybe that’s wishful thinking.

13. Lisa says:

Please let him come back ! Adam is my favourite

14. Melissa says:

I REALLY want Adam to stay as a character on Everlasting! Jeremy uses Rachel when he wants… in the last episode, he didn’t have to hook up with her.. all she needed was support… and he doesn’t even care about Lizzie! He is shady in my opinion… I really like Adam… he seems to genuinely care for her.

15. Cas says:

I like Jeremy and Rachel. I mean lets not forget it seems like she screwed him over first. And I am sorry but Adam is your typical ego maniac.

• Sara says:

I’m glad someone else agrees with me. I think they are good together, and given more screen time would prove to be a lasting relationship on the show given the correct writing. I think they have great chemistry, and real feelings for each other that are not based on manipulation.

16. Chris says:

Here’s an idea to bring back Freddie Stroma as Adam for season 2 of “UnREAL”: since most engagements or marriages on the Bachelor/Bachelorette seasons usually fall apart after a few months, why not have Adam come back for season 2 (as a character, not as a contestant) after his marriage to that one lucky female contestant from his season of “Everlasting” is a short-lived failure, and have him date Rachel after she declines Jeremy’s offer to get back together with him?

17. jess says:

They need to bring Adam back for season 2, his relationship with Rachel is SO much more interesting to me.

The way Jeremy shows no respect to his poor fiancée and is constantly acting self-righteous around Rachel just pisses me off. Not to mention, Josh and Shiri just have ZERO chemistry to me

18. Sarah says:

I like adam i hope he can come back for season 2. ☺

19. Jared says:

UnReal is one of the best new series that nobody seems to be watching. Im really happy Lifetime decided to give it a second season even if the ratings didnt warrant the renewal. Personally I would hate to see Adam go because his character has grown on me so much since the pilot. I guess they could always spin off the show(Everlasting) or have Adam be involved with Rachels new show(if she gets one) but im not against having a whole new starting point either. Thats the fun of UnReal. Each season could essentially be a different type of reality show. Either way im just glad fans are getting 10 more episodes.

20. Charissa29 says:

Th thing is that complicated, guarded, slightly broken, kinda grimy characters well acted and well written, such as Rachel and Adam, are VASTLY more interesting to watch than supposedly more together people like Jeremy and his sweet rebound girl. Plus again, Quinn and Chet need to be together to keep them away from other people! Anyway, obviously I love this show.

21. Kate says:

Let him be the host on next season of Everlasting!

22. Max says:

I love woods and am not sad that I could save some real old beauties inside our fair Atlanta.

23. Jessy says:

I think it will be a huge mistake if the show gets rid of Adam in season 2 because they have already got us used to him being in season 2 by stating how he will be on board for royal love for one more year in the show. Additionally, something new happened between Rachel and Adam and viewers want to see more of that and they will be really disappointed if they don’t. I really hope they build on what happened in the last episode and make Adam and Rachel more emphasized in the show because that’s what people want to watch and see! No one wants to see Adam leave the show!

24. ellelatham27 says:

He’ll be back. He’s just trying to keep it quiet.

25. Sara says:

I guess I’m the only one who hates Adam and thinks Jeremy is a sweet guy. I see genuine love in his actions toward Rachel, and I think they have much more chemistry than she has with Adam. On tv, the boring guy makes the better life partner because of their stability, I think that’s Jeremy all the way. His history makes him know what to expect from Rachel when she has her outbursts, and I think it’s better than understanding someones behavior because it is like your own, especially when the behavior is negative. So if Adam’s defense is that he gets her because he’s like her, it spells trouble for a relationship. He’s also a playboy. The only reason Adam likes Rachel is because he never took his crap, and he got excited with the challenge of trying to win her over, typical for guys. I likes the manipulation, but manipulating people is not healthy for Rachel, and she doesn’t have to do that with Jeremy. When the thrill and excitement of a relationship with Rachel faded, Adam would get bored. Jeremy seems to like the mundane stuff with her.

26. Tori says:

Keep adam on!!!!! I wanna see him and rachel relationship thicken and if they do the renovation spin off it be epic. !!!!!

27. Tori says: