Wayward Pines Recap

Wayward Pines Recap: Power Play

This week on Fox’s Wayward Pines, in the midseason drama’s penultimate hour, we saw just how impetuous Pilcher can be when he doesn’t get his way.

In the wake of resistance member Alan mowing a truck through the fence, to his (and already-dead Andy’s) detriment, there’s a rabid call for a reckoning, led by Pilcher and, separately, students in the first class of the First Generation. On the latter front, sheriff’s office secretary Arlene temporarily fends off bloodthirsty brat pack leader Jason, while Ethan implores Harold to cough up a list of his cohorts, lest Kate pay the ultimate price.

Alas, when Ethan brings the damning list of names to Pilcher, it is discovered that these rebels have gone so far as to all remove their tracking chips, an act of betrayal that irks the town’s puppet master. Meanwhile, when young Amy has a seizure due to brain swelling, Pam — after reflecting on an old photo of her and her brother David — decides to do more for those who seek answers, and to that end slips Theresa a card key and nudges her in the direction of Plot 33. Inside the shed on the disheveled property, Theresa finds stairs that lead down to a series of tunnels….

Back at the cop shop, Jason returns with his First Gen/First Class pals to subdue Arlene and seize control of the place. After they release the jailed resistance members, Kate and Harold included, Jason proceeds to coldly execute each of them with a shotgun. Harold is the first brutal casualty and Kate is poised to be the last… before Ethan arrives and guns down the wayward lad.

Theresa shows up and leads Ethan and Kate to the tunnels beneath Plot 33, inside which is a computer loaded with hundreds of video journals from, among others, their Secret Service boss Adam. In the found footage from September 4020, Adam — whom we knew to be in cahoots with Pilcher, as seen in the 2014 scenes — is gazing upon a decimated San Francisco, where he and his search party are being hunted by abbies.

Ethan & Co. then apparently plotted to put one over on Pilcher, by setting Kate up for a public reckoning but instead spilling gushes of truth, not blood. Mrs. Fisher tries to stop the outing of Pilcher (aka the “savior of all humankind!”) and the town’s secrets, but Theresa silences her with a solid slap.

The mad scientist, though, is determined to have the final word, and begins remotely shutting down power all throughout the town — and to the perimeter fence (!), where abbies are seen champing at the bit to scale the once-electrified walls….

What did you think of Wayward Episode 9 (of 10)? Any finale predictions?

1. laurelnev says:

So if Pilcher can’t have it his way he’s going to shut the whole thing down? Just the town, or all the cryo chambers too?

I like the way the Abbies are just waiting by the fence like there’s a filet mignon buffet just beyond it. But they seem to be pretty wasteful cannibals, leaving a good deal of remains after the initial taste.

Pam obviously thinks it’s time for Pilcher’s reign to end, as she gave Teresa the smoking gun to make folks believe. Now that folks are aware, I wonder how many will fight or how many will decide on suicide by abbie.

Next week is the finale…I can’t wait to see how this whole mess ends!

• Data1001 says:

I think he shut off the power to get rid of all the residents of the town, because I think Pilcher wants to start over with another new batch of people. Seems like there are enough folks left in the cryo chambers for at least one more round.

2. N says:

I don’t know how this will end. I’ll be watching!

3. Hanna says:

I honestly was thinking that the finale will be the end of the town of Wayard Pine. But if the producer is talking season 2… The program is not only about being the only place on earth to survive, it is about mob mentality and how manipulative people – Pilcher, the teacher – know how to play it. Sadly, a story as old as human history.

• Ann says:

If there is a season 2, I could see an ending where Wayward Piners find out the truth and kill the Abbies with a Season 2 having them leave the town in search for other town of survivors and having to brave the elements and the abbies outside the walls. It could be interesting.

4. Gary Allen says:

This show is more intense than the the Blacklist. Season 2 can’t come soon enough for me. I’m enjoying this series immensely, knowing all too well that all good things must end. Not too soon I hope!

5. JW says:

If there is no season 2, I will be sad like a lot of people. Nothing in the last few years has been this good. And I am shocked at my Pilcher is looking like he wants everyone at the midnight witch hunt to die. He probably will let all those who were frozen unfreeze and start a new town that he can own again.

6. Pat says:

I just read an interview that Matt Dillon did and he said that that he has no plans to do a second season. He also said that the show always felt like a 10-part story moving toward the finale. This is how it was intended so if this did have a second season their main character Ethan plus I am sure some other characters would not be doing a second season. I cannot wait to see the finale next week. I just hope, that Theresa is not killed. I did not see her in any of the promos for next week.

7. BG says:

I’m thinking about the classic time travel pictures like The Time Machine, or The Planet Of The Apes. In those pictures, you couldn’t help but wonder if they went several thousand years in the future past where they awakened, things might have gotten better. The Elois might have disapeared, the apes might have been overthrown by modern man again. So what if the Wayward Pines current residents, put themselves back into stasis, and awaken when the abbies are gone?

8. wrstlgirl says:

I just read that this was cancelled overnight. Can you confirm if that’s true or not. I kind of thought it was a one and done show anyways.

9. TVRocks says:

I am really enjoying this limited series. I think it’s saying a lot about human nature. It’s not the fear from outside you should really be concerned with but the fear from inside.